• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

The guitar included in the bundle, worth it or not (for the price)?

From what I've read, it's a pretty great starting guitar. It's not the best guitar in the world but it isn't terrible either. It can also be modified very nicely.

I'm going to pick up the game tomorrow after taking my bass to a music shop. I'm finally fixing the intonation issues that it's having, I'll probably pick up some new strings too.

Shadybiz

Oh, excellent, I've been out of touch and didn't know it was coming out so soon. Definitely snagging this; I've been getting bored with the first one, and yeah, the interface on that one is not so good.

XShagrath

Anyone able to preload this?
From what I've heard, it should be available when the Steam store updates at 1PM Eastern time.

I had really wanted to give it a shot before I had to get ready for work, but it looks like it's not meant to be. At least I'm off tomorrow though.

PetrCobra

Um. I could see myself buying the PC version for the full price but between MH3U, my huge backlog and all the new Wii U games coming my way in the following days, I don't know if I could find the time to try it, let alone justify the purchase. Still tempting though.

Buggy Loop

If i had the 360 version of the original. The cable will still work for 2014? And if i purchase the 2014 version with the cable, now i'll be able to play with a friend guitar & bass?

Xun

Trying to find a good UK price, any suggestions?

I have a lot of games to finish, but I see this more as a practice tool than a game.

Buggy Loop

Yes and yes.

Sold!

"flexes fingers"

Rocksmith is the most guitar playing i've done in years. Its kinda complicated when you have an Hiwatt custom 100 (that i made myself with the DIY kit) with a 4x12 cab in an apartment hehe.

Awesome game the original was, except for the dreaded UI, but that has been fixed apparently.

j-wood

Anyone know if the pulse elite headphones work with this? My only current audio setup is the default through the TV via HDMI...the original said that wasn't optimal, anyone know if that's changed?

Though it won't matter if I can use my pulse elites

Scarecrow

I'm a total beginner and bought the first recently but found my interest drop real fast. I didn't feel like I was learning, especially some of the techniques like harmonics and palm mutes. Does this second one have any improvements that make it more suitable for beginners?

Artex

Banned
Will this teach me to play the guitar my (currently) dying grandmother bought me when I was 15? I'm 31 now.

Is it coming out for PS4 or should I just get it for PC? Are the requirements for PC around the level of a potato or what? When can I have it? How much does it cost? Why do bad things happen to good people?

Buggy Loop

Will this teach me to play the guitar my (currently) dying grandmother bought me when I was 15? I'm 31 now.

Is it coming out for PS4 or should I just get it for PC? Are the requirements for PC around the level of a potato or what? When can I have it? How much does it cost? Why do bad things happen to good people?

Yes

No really its a good tool to learn guitar, of course perseverance is the #1 factor in this, whether its a game or a teacher. Your fingers will hurt like a bitch too muhahaha.

But its a really good interface for learning and its a lot more motivating with a game with visual and audio feedback than learning tabs and then try to match a song by hearing. Here you can fix the difficulty AND speed. Plus tutorials and games that will make you learn.

myca77

Question: I have a Zoom G5 Multi-Effects Pedal. Can I use the Guitar->Effects->PC setup or does the game force you to use its own AMP/Effects simulator?

You could get an A/B/Y pedal to go before your multi FX unit, that way Rocksmith can get the clean signal, and you can process the other signal however you want. You'd probably need to have the multi FX going to an amp though, or have some sort of mixer to be able to hear the game and the FX pedal.

If the FX pedal has a separate line in you could just plug the PC out to that (making sure to mute the guitar in the game).

Artex

Banned
Yes

No really its a good tool to learn guitar, of course perseverance is the #1 factor in this, whether its a game or a teacher. Your fingers will hurt like a bitch too muhahaha.

But its a really good interface for learning and its a lot more motivating with a game with visual and audio feedback than learning tabs and then try to match a song by hearing. Here you can fix the difficulty AND speed. Plus tutorials and games that will make you learn.

Thanks. Any insight into my other questions?

Fixed1979

Yes and yes.

hmmm, I was just going to pick up a version without the cable, but being able to play two instruments at once is tempting. Are the bass tabs included with the game and not DLC?

It's been so long since I picked up one of my guitars, looking forward to grabbing this one today.

Thanks. Any insight into my other questions?

Current gen only. No idea. Now. ~$59. Gods an asshole.

hoping this version feels more like i am playing the guitar, that was my problem with the first one...

felt like i was just memorizing colors rather then actually playing

XShagrath

Not coming to next gen systems. They said they wanted to nail it for current gen, plus the larger install base helps out on a niche title.

PC requirements according to Steam.
Min:

Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 or 2.0 GHz AMD Ahtlon 64 X2 3800+
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: 256MB DirectX9 / GeForce 8600 or Radeon HD 2600 XT
Hard Drive: 12 GB

Recommended:

Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i3-540 or 3.3 GHz Athlon II X3 455
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: 512MB Nvidia GT 240 or 512MB ATI Radeon 5670
Hard Drive: 12 GB

So yeah, looks like the requirements aren't very stressful.

Price on Steam is $60, but you can get it down to about $30 if you trade keys or go through a 3rd party seller.

Artex

Banned
hmmm, I was just going to pick up a version without the cable, but being able to play two instruments at once is tempting. Are the bass tabs included with the game and not DLC?

It's been so long since I picked up one of my guitars, looking forward to grabbing this one today.

Current gen only. No idea. Now. ~$59. Gods an asshole.

Not coming to next gen systems. They said they wanted to nail it for current gen, plus the larger install base helps out on a niche title.

PC requirements according to Steam.

So yeah, looks like the requirements aren't very stressful.

Price on Steam is $60, but you can get it down to about $30 if you trade keys or go through a 3rd party seller.

Thanks dudes or dudettes.

Xyber

So that statement about worldwide Steam release one of the devs said on Twitter or something wasn't true at all. :( I'm currently downloading it with a proxy and that is painful when I have a 115Mbit connection wanting to be used. :/

Anyway, whenever this download is done, I'm gonna throw up a stream of it if anyone is interested in seeing some stuff.

DrBo42

Game is now available on Steam in the US. Someone outside the states will need to confirm as well.

I'm a total beginner and bought the first recently but found my interest drop real fast. I didn't feel like I was learning, especially some of the techniques like harmonics and palm mutes. Does this second one have any improvements that make it more suitable for beginners?

Watch some of the videos in the OP, you should be able to see a big quality increase. The lessons have been revamped to be more interactive. They won't just tell you you're playing incorrectly, it'll try to fix your technique. Complete a song but have major issues with the chorus or a specific chord? Rocksmith Recommends will isolate what you're having problems with and suggest lessons or practice material to improve.

DrBo42

I think it might be important to say that this is a tool to teach you technique and build your muscle memory for chords, scales and fret placement. This game will not teach you theory but getting these basic techniques down I feel is essential to moving into the theory world when you're ready. Biggest problem for me is feeling motivated to practice and even though the first game is flawed, it helped me a lot with building my technique and keeping me engaged in the instrument.

Rocksmith might give you the "Oh cool, this works" moment when playing scales in Session Mode. The inevitable question of "Wait, why does this work?" is where theory comes in via a teacher or online resource.

Drakken

Just pulled the trigger on this. I had the 360 version of the original but stopped playing after awhile cause I got too frustrated by the constant loading and terrible menu interface. Looking forward to picking the electric back up and actually (hopefully) going all the way this time!

I'm excited to get this. I bought a guitar and was learning how to play with the original game but the menu's and constant loading got old. Also with some chords I would have no idea what fingers were supposed to go where. Seems like they fixed most of those issues.

I don't see this in the OP yet but not all songs transfer from RB1. Songs that don't are:

Clapton - Run Back to Your Side
Cream - Sunshine of Your Love
Seth Chapala - both songs
Chris Lee - Boss

I'll miss Sunshine but oh well.

The Boat

Been meaning to get the first one ever since it lauched, never got around to it, need to do it now. Maybe it'll finally push me into dedicating myself to the guitar a bit more, my Strat is lonely. Don't know which version to get though, I assume the PC version might be more flexible with possible custom songs and all that.

Top Bottom