• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

Why is Tetra on Windfall Island with Link anyway?

Because they wanted to show her model off. When testing stuff, devs can put models anywhere they want so... why not lol.

It's obviously not the final game, as she's never on Windfall except for mid-game.

Instro

If they really want to put me over the moon, they will get those extra 2 dungeons in that were supposedly cut.

Still though, this game really looks great as an HD up-port. The style holds up so well, that even minor improvements make the game shine. Definitely will buy, hopefully they do the same for TP.

Looks ugly. The geometry anyways. Those trees in particular.

edit - I take it back - everything looks ugly. Lighting is nice though. Won't get that on Dolphin.

Again the only thing I'm not a fan of is how it doesn't look like a 2D cartoon anymore. That was part of why Wind Waker was so amazing looking to me. But hey, there's always Dolphin. I'll probably pick this up once it looks better in motion and the describe some of the gameplay changes.

Here's a few wallpapers for you all.

wind_waker_hd_wallpaper_1_by_thecongressman1-d5shwr1.png

wind_waker_hd_wallpaper_2_by_thecongressman1-d5shx82.png

defferoo

Looks ugly. The geometry anyways. Those trees in particular.

edit - I take it back - everything looks ugly. Lighting is nice though. Won't get that on Dolphin.

If you compare the HD version and the original version, you'll see that the geometry is exactly the same. even the textures have been carried over from the original game. This is no re-make, it's a port + additional graphical effects.

if anything this just shows how impressive the gamecube was back in the day.

Again the only thing I'm not a fan of is how it doesn't look like a 2D cartoon anymore. That was part of why Wind Waker was so amazing looking to me. But hey, there's always Dolphin. I'll probably pick this up once it looks better in motion and the describe some of the gameplay changes.
it did bother me at first, but to make my judgement on this game i will need to see/play it for myself. it reminds me of the jump from hand drawn animation to CGI.

Dmax3901

I just got back home and loaded up Neogaf, saw the Monolithsoft thread and this one and I seriously can hardly believe what I'm seeing even though I stayed up for the Nintendo Direct.

Speevy

Banned
I remember when this generation started. People were pretty fond of lit up worlds defining the jump. Perhaps the previous generation was too dark or dull, so we wanted the colors to pop.

heavenly-sword-20060508080128908.jpg

Now however, I think we've reached a point where subtlety is the key. The Sun doesn't have to murder your eyes.

you had to pick one screenshot to exemplify overuse of bloom in early generation games and you didn't pick an oblivion one. impressive.

Fantasmo

I just realized that we'll probably have to wait until E3 to actually see the game in motion.

Be happy they didn't wait until E3 to announce it. Smart move, they should do stuff like this more often. Keeping momentum up is something they're usually pretty bad at.

jett

D-Member
Windfall is now a french colony

Yeah what's with the change to french flags? lol

Like I noticed before, it really is using almost the exact same assets as the original Wind Waker(except the flags :p). I truly wonder if the final game will even resemble those pics, they do look more like an art test than anything else.

Neiteio

Hell yeah. I actually love this over-saturated style. Makes the game feel almost tropical...you know, with salt in the air and sea fog misting up the towns...
Hmm... When you put it this way... and combine that with someone else noting it looks more like claymation now... Kind of cool, really.

leroidys

Up til now I just thought that this was an isolated instance of suck:

7ypyL7s.jpg

Too bad to see that it was indeed nintendo's direction for new gen toon link.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Skyward Sword HD Wii U.

I don't like the blurry textures, the oil painting filter, reminds me of Skyward Sword. :(

1auzt1.png

Revven

Be happy they didn't wait until E3 to announce it. Smart move, they should do stuff like this more often. Keeping momentum up is something they're usually pretty bad at.

I do really wish Nintendo was a bit more transparent with some of this stuff. At least announce x thing is coming even if you have nothing to show for it. Sony and Microsoft do it all the time, don't they? Or other publishers I've seen do it for certain titles.

Nintendo needs to stop being stuck in the '90s where there was no internet and they could be as secretive as they want to be. It's really starting to backfire on them, even if it does bring a shitton of hype. The amount of time in between announcements/reveals is horrible and makes being a Nintendo only gamer that much more painful. (Thankfully I'm not like that anymore, lol).

MisterHero

Having all that color zoomed in is disorienting, but I really llike the screens when they're smaller. It might look amazing in Off-TV mode.

IrishNinja

man, i just feel bad for anyone not getting excited at that design, especially the background/world itself...if you feel it divorces the toon look too much, i can't recommend Dolphin enough though

Madouu

It looks fucking great. All I'm hoping for is the inclusion of the missing dungeons.

I have played the game on my gamecube and on the Dolphin, and now I'll have to replay it again and I know I will love every second of it.

apana

I have replayed Wind Waker about 15 times. I guess I will play it again a few years from now when I get around to buying a Wii U.

man, i just feel bad for anyone not getting excited at that design, especially the background/world itself...if you feel it divorces the toon look too much, i can't recommend Dolphin enough though
If it was 1080p WW. This thread would be full of "lol Nintendo I can do this on dolphin not buying lolz."

Be thankful its not. The game style kinda change and its still shitting on games made today.

Darryl

Banned
Super Mario Sunshine 2

maybe this game was really just made out of tests they were running on SMS but abandoned. they are really making a Zelda game using a process similar to what we seen in the tech demo. seems more likely than them playing around with these weirdo filters* that don't fit a Zelda game at all.

*i meant shaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom