• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

How well would an i3-4170 and GTX 1050ti run this? Only have a 720p monitor right now.

Not very optimized atm. My fps is all over the place it seems on a 1060. It's playable for sure but far from optimized. If anything you can grab the game on Thursday and see how it plays and get a refund if it's terrible for you.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Thanks, I'll try that out and see if it doesn't slow me down too much.

Third does it a little but not as much as first. I use third while outside and first while in buildings. Might have to get comfortable playing third all the time. Most first person games don't affect me this way. Changing the FOV usually helps when they do. Is there a way to change FOV in PUBG?
To my knowledge there is not a FoV slider there yet, sadly 😕
Seems pretty good. I do wish it'd go a bit more into Arma's direction rather than H1Z1. It seems like it takes a lot of shots to kill someone and the agility of players reminds me of the stupid movement people have in H1Z1 where they jump and zigzag during firefights.
Overall looks really nice though. Gunplay looks satisfying, it has a fair amount of content and it seems to pretty much take the good things from both Arma 3 and H1Z1's version of the gametype.
Headshot is usually 1-2 hit kill regardless of what you got, outside maybe head 3 or something so there's not really a lot of hits you can soak up. Armor 2-3 will allow you to take a couple more to the chest but that's about it, think you die pretty fast as it is.

Zasa

Been watching some streams of these recently, definitely looks like it's in between Arma 3 & H1Z1 in terms of the tactical/methodical gameplay & the arcade-y shooter feel. Like Tecnniqe said above. Looks pretty fun & even long range gunfights can be pretty intense.

Would love for one of these types of games to hit the PS4. Though I'm curious to see how they'd handle the looting system & inventory there.

Tovarisc

Been watching some streams of these recently, definitely looks like it's in between Arma 3 & H1Z1 in terms of the tactical/methodical gameplay & the arcade-y shooter feel. Like Tecnniqe said above. Looks pretty fun & even long range gunfights can be pretty intense.

Would love for one of these types of games to hit the PS4. Though I'm curious to see how they'd handle the looting system & inventory there.

They have interest in doing console port of Battlegrounds, but they want first focus on PC version and get it released. Being on UE4 should make porting at least easy-ish.

wamberz1

Damn, kinda sad I'm only seeing this thread now, love multiplayer survival games like this, KOTH and the division: survival.

I'll keep an eye out and hopefully they'll drop more codes.

Tosyn_88

Is it even possible to port this game to consoles with all the systems in tact. If they can do that, i can see it doing very well in my opinion

Tovarisc

Is it even possible to port this game to consoles with all the systems in tact. If they can do that, i can see it doing very well in my opinion

Inventory system needs overhaul to work better with pad, but rest? Why it wouldn't work when you look at core mechanics? CPU intensity also could be an issue to fight with, but lets see what they can do with that during PC development.

Zasa

They have interest in doing console port of Battlegrounds, but they want first focus on PC version and get it released. Being on UE4 should make porting at least easy-ish.
That's great to hear, hope you're right. But yeah, it still definitely has some rough edges they have to look at overall.

I imagine it's possible but this game runs pretty rough on systems that are FAR superior to consoles in terms of technology. I know lots of optimizations are in the the future for this game but I wouldn't really get my hopes up for a port anytime soon tbh. This game also wants to become competitive in tournaments and the userbase for that will be on PC. H1Z1 was supposed to be ported to console at one point as well but that idea was scrapped. I think this game will do very well regardless of a console port. h1 is at like nearly 3 million copies sold already. All the top streamers who play h1 (casually and professionally in tournaments) say this is a better game and it will be there main BR game so I imagine it will be pretty big. Also all the plans for the game seem really cool. I was just reading they are implementing stuff like bullet deflection so it's possible to say have a bullet deflect off an object and kill someone. Also modding will be HUGE for this game when it hits.

Compsiox

Banned
Damn, kinda sad I'm only seeing this thread now, love multiplayer survival games like this, KOTH and the division: survival.

I'll keep an eye out and hopefully they'll drop more codes.

They won't. Releases on Steam in Early Access on the 23rd though.

I hope this game gets a nice GAF community more than anything. Duos are super fun but it sucks when you have to do matchmaking and get stuck with a person with no mic. For as popular as h1z1 is I feel like not many people here play it or at least we don't have an active community here for it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I hope this game gets a nice GAF community more than anything. Duos are super fun but it sucks when you have to do matchmaking and get stuck with a person with no mic. For as popular as h1z1 is I feel like not many people here play it or at least we don't have an active community here for it.
I don't think it's a popular genre on GAF in general but there are a few of us around.

lol. Saw this stuck on summit1g house
9CAC3831F58BF4B186B9905A359CB8F221EE0CF2

dave is ok

aztek is ok
This might be the first time a genre has exploded in popularity with two frontrunner threats at the same time. Will be interesting to see which game ends up on top.

PBUG is definitely slower paced, but the red zones are neat and keep you moving.

Smidget

Stolen from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/60c4po/more_beta_keys_added_to_alpha_beta_gamer/

http://www.alphabetagamer.com/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-beta-key-giveaway-steam/
1. Go to the website
2. Click the button at the bottom to let them use cookies
3. Reload the page
4. Click one of the three ?s
5. Follow their things on twitter
6. write your twitter @whatever name in the box
7. Click the next one, repeat 5&6
8. Steam key should pop up, copy it to the redeem thing in steam

Downloading now.

Tecnniqe

Banned
This might be the first time a genre has exploded in popularity with two frontrunner threats at the same time. Will be interesting to see which game ends up on top.

PBUG is definitely slower paced, but the red zones are neat and keep you moving.
The thirst

Smidget

What's the other game?

I didn't know I wanted this game before seeing this thread so thanks :)

First match. I'm really unfamiliar with these games. Jumped out of the plane too early, spent the entire match running to the circle. First person I saw shot me while I was in a buggy. Second person who shot at me, I never even saw before dying.

10/10

Game runs pretty damn well for me, or at least better than these games tend to run. GTX 970, i7 4770k. Seems like a pretty damn well fleshed out battle royale type game.

JDB

Banned
Headshot is usually 1-2 hit kill regardless of what you got, outside maybe head 3 or something so there's not really a lot of hits you can soak up. Armor 2-3 will allow you to take a couple more to the chest but that's about it, think you die pretty fast as it is.
I shot a guy with a tier 2 helmet in the head twice with a 5.56 from around 20 meters earlier and he wasn't even knocked out. That's definitely too much for me.

Smidget

Stupid questions:

What is the red zone exactly?

Do all cars/vehicles start with gas and just need canisters to refill?

Tovarisc

Stupid questions:

What is the red zone exactly?

Do all cars/vehicles start with gas and just need canisters to refill?

Red zones are artillery barrage zones => go there and eat artillery shells

Cars always spawn with gas. I wouldn't bother with canisters.

Stolen from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/60c4po/more_beta_keys_added_to_alpha_beta_gamer/

http://www.alphabetagamer.com/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-beta-key-giveaway-steam/
1. Go to the website
2. Click the button at the bottom to let them use cookies
3. Reload the page
4. Click one of the three ?s
5. Follow their things on twitter
6. write your twitter @whatever name in the box
7. Click the next one, repeat 5&6
8. Steam key should pop up, copy it to the redeem thing in steam

Downloading now.

does this still work? would love to try the game today before buying it Thursday

I've always wanted to get into these battle royale games but have been super turned off by the 3rd person view and peaking shenanigans that unfairly come with it.

Does Battlegrounds have a 1st person only game mode by chance? If so i'm finally in!

I just dont understand the appeal of the 3rd person view in these types of shooters... it just leads so so many unfair scenarios with looking around cover and ambushing etc. Why do people prefer it?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I've always wanted to get into these battle royale games but have been super turned off by the 3rd person view and peaking shenanigans that unfairly come with it.

Does Battlegrounds have a 1st person only game mode by chance? If so i'm finally in!

I just dont understand the appeal of the 3rd person view in these types of shooters... it just leads so so many unfair scenarios with looking around cover and ambushing etc. Why do people prefer it?
There will be first person only (hardcore) servers

Tecnniqe

Banned
Oh hell yes... that's going to be great! I hope it keeps up a healthy population because i'll spend all my time in the hardcore servers if it does.
There'll surely be enough for you to play around with. A lot of support is coming and again if you've not seen the video I posted earlier about the "interview", fairly long podcast typa thing, I suggest you do listen in and get a feel for where they want it going :)

Top Bottom