• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beware if you're purchasing the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller for the d-pad

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I keep getting tempted to pick up Pro Controllers but the Joy-Cons are just so versatile. If I'm gonna drop $70 on a controller I'd rather just throw in an extra $10 for the Joy-Con pair and technically get two controllers out of it in the process.

I really don't like the d-pad on this thing, and I usually play using my Joy-Con specifically because the Pro d-pad fucks with my weapon and shield switching constantly.

Mega

Banned
Is the Joy-Con split d-pad that bad? I had read recent impressions that it was pretty solid.

It's not as good as a dedicated D-pad, but it's not terrible either. I know I'm not the only one who spent time back in the day playing emulators with a standard keyboard using the arrow keys and got used to it.

As for the Pro controller, no problems on my end. It sucks that's happening to some people.

Neo_Geo

Banned
I've had Zelda several times open up the incorrect menu, even when pressing the correct direction. It's the only issue I've had with this controller.

This happens to me occasionally, I will click left on the DPad, but it opens up my Runes menu. Haven't had it happen twice in a row though as the second attempt opens correctly. I wonder if there is too much play with the casing and the DPad wants to naturally go towards the top of the controller when Left|Up is depressed so that when left isn't very precise it can sometimes register wrong?

Only other thing that bothers me is it seems like the Left analog stick is too easy to click in, similar to the DualShock 3 was compared to the 360 controller. When centered it's not much easier than other controllers, but It takes much less pressure to activate L3 when the stick is all the way up, very frustrating unless I deliberately make sure to exert less force in that position.

I've the same issue with the pro-controller. When you press your thumb on the right direction, it's very easy to unconsciously shift a bit of weight up, which will engage that direction, despite your thumb coming not even close to it. Not sure they can fix this though, I think it's just the design of the D-pad itself that causes this, though there's people here claiming they've no issues with the D-pad, so who knows.

Kind of frustrating though. The D-pad on the Joy-Con is better than the one on a 70 dollar traditional controller.

Having the same issue. Puyo Puyo Tetris is unplayable for me (I actually do better with the left stick than with the dpad), and opening up the runes menu instead of the weapon menu is a minor annoyance. But then again, people are saying they have no issues.

Should I send mine in? I'm growing to love the Joy-Cons, so I can give them more of a go in the grip while the Pro gets fixed (if it even is a defect rather than a design flaw).

thatJohann

I don't understand...

GAF goes from praising Switch Pro controller as the best controller ever.

And now, GAF is complaining about the D-Pad and how bad it is?

Isn't the main point of the Pro controller the addition of a proper d-pad?

Why would I spend $70 + tax on this controller then? You guys deflated my bubble.

Guess I'll skip it and stick to Joy-cons.

Meaty

Ive had this happen on 3 wii u pro controllers.

Honestly I always tought it was just a design flaw, if you press the dpad with some slight pressure on a direction, the button for that direction will be pressed too.

I.e if I press the right direction, but I apply pressure downwards, the down key will be pressed aswell.

ViolentP

I don't understand...

GAF goes from praising Switch Pro controller as the best controller ever.

And now, GAF is complaining about the D-Pad and how bad it is?

Isn't the main point of the Pro controller the addition of a proper d-pad?

Why would I spend $70 + tax on this controller then? You guys deflated my bubble.

Guess I'll skip it and stick to Joy-cons.

It's all preference. I've had a Switch since launch and I've played using the joycons perhaps once.

Unless you count portable mode in which I've played plenty of Zelda before bed.

Pyrokai

Wait, is this a real thing? I've noticed that when I push right on the D-pad in Zelda to bring up the weapons, it will instead bring up the Runes. I thought I was doing something wrong. Is this the problem people are experiencing and is it an issue with every controller?

Anteo

Happens all the time with mine, not sure if I can send it back or whatever. It's extremely noticeable in breath of the wild, if I'm trying to switch my arrows/shield it will often bring up the powers menu instead (up on the dpad). I can kinda avoid it by pressing the bottom part of the left dpad instead of the dead center like I usually do, but it's pretty disappointing. I'm sure I'll end up just living with it unless there is some easy fix to it.

Im playing on wiiu and have the same problem. Weird.

Wait, is this a real thing? I've noticed that when I push right on the D-pad in Zelda to bring up the weapons, it will instead bring up the Runes. I thought I was doing something wrong. Is this the problem people are experiencing and is it an issue with every controller?

Happens to me in wii u too. Never had a problem in any other game.

I've had this too. Wasn't sure if it was me or not

_PsiFire_

I can't say I've had the problem while playing Zelda but I haven't played with the pro controller the entire time - maybe 20 hours, tops - because the wife usually wants to watch TV while I play.

I'll have to try the input test when I get a chance.

Arren

I can confirm there is a problem of excessive sensitivity on the D-pad of my Switch Pro Controller.

It's not that it doesn't work in the strictest sense, but rather than in the most hectic and intense moments any movement of your finger sliding from Left to Right (which would work most naturally with other controllers, allowing you to move in a linear way between the two directions) end up outputting an Up, Right or diagonal press way too easily.

This is very problematic because with all games that require a precise yet fast movement it risks compromising your accuracy greatly: you can verify that with Puyo Puyo Tetris where even the slightest Upwards flick will cause the block you have to drop instantly. It's a shame because this is an otherwise terrific controller, with impressive ergonomy and comfort and everything else would be top-notch.

To anybody who isn't noticing any such issue:
can you try the calibration tool in your Switch system and mash the D-pad quickly left and right with your Pro Controller?
If it's anything like mine, you will see that the console is detecting Up / diagonal input when it shouldn't.

Moreche

I can confirm there is a problem of excessive sensitivity on the D-pad of my Switch Pro Controller.

It's not that it doesn't work in the strictest sense, but rather than in the most hectic and intense moments any movement of your finger sliding from Left to Right (which would work most naturally with other controllers, allowing you to move in a linear way between the two directions) end up outputting an Up, Right or diagonal press way too easily.

This is very problematic because with all games that require a precise yet fast movement it risks compromising your accuracy greatly: you can verify that with Puyo Puyo Tetris where even the slightest Upwards flick will cause the block you have to drop instantly. It's a shame because this is an otherwise terrific controller, with impressive ergonomy and comfort and everything else would be top-notch.

can you try the calibration tool in your Switch system and mash the D-pad quickly left and right with your Pro Controller?
If it's anything like mine, you will see that the console is detecting Up / diagonal input when it shouldn't.
Yes, it happens to me too.
If I press left/right quickly it'll detect up input in the switch calibration tool.
Is this a faulty Pro controller or just bad design?
Should I get a refund?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I enjoy it. Works well for me. Seems like I had to wear it in a little in Kof98 to gethe it to feel just right tho. Out of the box it seemed to be problematic.

Arren

Yes, it happens to me too.
If I press left/right quickly it'll detect up input in the switch calibration tool.
Is this a faulty Pro controller or just bad design?
Should I get a refund?

It's most likely a product of the inner mechanism that connects the D-pad itself to the underlying membrane, leading to innacurate detection and excessive sensitivity of the inputs.

My controller behaves in the same exact way and I have the feeling that every controller out there is unfortunately affected by this imprecision to some degree, regardless of any other defects that may be present on certain units. I have seen a video of someone pressing Left on the D-pad and triggering a photo capture for example, and that's most definitely a faulty controller, but that's not the case here: this D-pad problem is most likely due to problematic design.

Testing the calibration tool by quickly sliding your finger to press left/right is a very effective demonstration of the issue at hand and I would love for others to chime in and share their results using the same method. Mine shows a lot of Upwards and downwards presses (especially Up) when doing so.

Not

Banned
Aaaaaaah. Yeah I was wondering what was going on. I pull up runes sometimes when I just want to fucking change shields.

Happens all the time with mine, not sure if I can send it back or whatever. It's extremely noticeable in breath of the wild, if I'm trying to switch my arrows/shield it will often bring up the powers menu instead (up on the dpad).
Ugh, this happens to me too. I chalked it up to a bug in the game - I didn't consider a hardware issue. This sucks. Might return it since this isn't a problem one should have when you spend $100 on a controller, but I really don't want to have to use the joycons, and I'd bet that it's a design issue rather than a manufacturing one, which means a replacement won't help. It's a shame because the controller itself feels fantastic and the only other complaint that I have with it is the weak rumble.

My d-pad works just fine. My right analog stick, however, is rubbing. It's harder to push and makes a loud squeaking noise that forces me to not even use the controller. Been trying to get in touch with Nintendo regarding a replacement or repair.

themindkillah

Neo Member
I quite like the Pro Controller. I don't have any dpad issues. Unfortunately mine makes a really annoying sound when the right analog is in certain angles. Considering how expensive this thing is in Canada, it's really frustrating. I'm hoping it'll go away with usage.

Blarg

Neo Member

This is exactly what happens with mine. Very disappointing, especially considering how good the controller is otherwise. I may send mine in to Nintendo.

45 hours into Zelda so far with the Pro Controller since day one and zero issues. I use the D-pad all the time in menus and such and it works great. Hopefully this isn't widespread and gets worked out quickly.

iphys

Mine isn't just excessively sensitive about registering diagonals, it also fails to register the direction I'm actually pressing sometimes while registering a direction 90 degrees off. If I actually press two directions to register a diagonal, 3/4 of the time it only registers the up/down component and fails to register the left/right component at all. I realized it was defective day 1 when I tried to play Puyo Puyo Tetris and it was hard dropping my pieces all over the place. Been trying to exchange it ever since but there's never any in stock. Tried resyncing it but it doesn't help.

Yusaku

Explains why I'd get the runes menu instead of weapons in Zelda occasionally.

I haven't had any problems playing Shovel Knight, Puyo Puyo Demo, or Neo Turf Masters with the dpad though.

I was playing Puyo Puyo Tetris today and I can't play Tetris quickly because I keep hard dropping pieces when I don't mean to :( I never had this problem on any other version of tetris ever and I've played all the Wii and DS versions.

Chanser

I get this issue, but it hasn't really affected my Zelda gameplay.

Justinh

It's extremely noticeable in breath of the wild, if I'm trying to switch my arrows/shield it will often bring up the powers menu instead (up on the dpad).

I was getting this issue all the time while playing Zelda. If I wanted to switch arrows I'd have to jam left on the Dpad like two or three times until the "correct" menu came up.

I was playing on Wii U with a Wii U Pro controller though. Thought my controller was dirty or something, maybe something got stuck in there so I took it apart and it was clean (I dunno why it wouldn't be, hardly gets used).

Is it Zelda? Well, I guess it can't be Zelda since people get issues in other places too.

wait (comment from video)
having this exact issue! left on the dpad triggers screenshot, L1, and B sometimes. tested it with the input test in the switch controller settings. let me know what you end up doing

wow, wtf?

rec0ded1

I thought I was accidentally pressing up or diagonal but have trained myself to look down as soon as it happens sure enough I'm press right or left. Surprised a hack hasn't popped up yet. Getting PSP flashbacks.

iphys

I was getting this issue all the time while playing Zelda. If I wanted to switch arrows I'd have to jam left on the Dpad like two or three times until the "correct" menu came up.

I was playing on Wii U with a Wii U Pro controller though. Thought my controller was dirty or something, maybe something got stuck in there so I took it apart and it was clean (I dunno why it wouldn't be, hardly gets used).

Is it Zelda? Well, I guess it can't be Zelda since people get issues in other places too.

Some people are saying the Wii U Pro controllers had the same problem with the D-pad, but I played through Zelda on my Wii U with 2 different Wii U Pro pads and had no issue with the wrong thing coming up on either of them, yet the D-pad on my Switch Pro controller is atrocious. Sounds like D-pad quality is a big lottery.

ss_lemonade

This sounds like the dpad problem that affected every single Nvidia Shield Portable. I believe it was a design issue with the Shield. Something with the membrane probably. Sucks that this controller has a similar problem too.

Don't listen to neogaf about the dpad for the joycons. They work just fine.

I actually like them and don't see any flaw in them. Isn't it better that they are seperate, won't this lead to more accurate button presses? Granted we don't have enough games atm to really get a feel for it but I quite like this Dpad.

iphys

I actually like them and don't see any flaw in them. Isn't it better that they are seperate, won't this lead to more accurate button presses? Granted we don't have enough games atm to really get a feel for it but I quite like this Dpad.

I feel like the buttons are small enough that it's workable to press 2 to trigger diagonals, but it sure feels strange. I actually find them much slower for playing Tetris than a real D-pad though because you have to physically move your thumb up to hit up and it's not as quick as immediately rocking your thumb up. I'm so used to doing it as fast as possible in Tetris that I sometimes miss the button and start moving the piece before I realize I haven't dropped it yet, which causes me to waste more time repositioning the piece. I feel like I must be losing about 1/10th of a second per piece because of it since my 40 lines time is about 10 seconds slower than it should be.

Nerrel

I had the issue of selecting runes in Zelda just once, and it did bum me out because the Dpad was a major reason for buying the controller. But it's never happened since my first play session, so I don't know if the Dpad has worn in and lost some stiffness or if I've adapted my grip after using the controller.

The real test will be to connect it to my PC to do some Super Metroid wall jumps. BotW doesn't exactly give much room to test the Dpad out; the menus are the only place I've really used it with any kind of speed, and I've never once had a false direction register there.

I keep getting tempted to pick up Pro Controllers but the Joy-Cons are just so versatile. If I'm gonna drop $70 on a controller I'd rather just throw in an extra $10 for the Joy-Con pair and technically get two controllers out of it in the process.

If you could directly compare the difference between the Pro analog sticks and the Joycon sticks, you'd immediately change your mind. The Joycon analog nubs feel so restricting and imprecise after using the silky smooth sticks on the Pro.

ckaneo

Split d pads isn't even new lol

Chittagong

Gold Member

Happens to me all the time

Is the Joy-Con split d-pad that bad? I had read recent impressions that it was pretty solid.

I don't mind the gap too much, being a Playstation gamer for 20-something years. The size doesn't bother me, as it's bigger than the Vita's. I do understand the lack of d-pad shape, on the buttons though. Also the clickiness from the lack of traditional membrane takes adjustment, as does the lack of all buttons being part of a single piece of plastic.
All-in-all, I'd say it doesn't bother me nearly as much as the lack of analog triggers for driving games.

tsundoku

Is there any Nintendo messaging on the pro controller not working with the system at all if its not docked? You can use the stupid joycons wirelessly in tabletop mode so why not the good controller.

Is there any Nintendo messaging on the pro controller not working with the system at all if its not docked? You can use the stupid joycons wirelessly in tabletop mode so why not the good controller.

It does work, I played Tetris with it like that today. What game were you trying? Press home and click controllers and activate it from there.

maxcriden

I don't mind the gap too much, being a Playstation gamer for 20-something years. The size doesn't bother me, as it's bigger than the Vita's. I do understand the lack of d-pad shape, on the buttons though. Also the clickiness from the lack of traditional membrane takes adjustment, as does the lack of all buttons being part of a single piece of plastic.
All-in-all, I'd say it doesn't bother me nearly as much as the lack of analog triggers for driving games.

Thanks, that is very helpful to know! I really appreciate the impressions.

Just got mine although I was closer to canceling it after reading this thread but dio far the dpad has been ok to me with Tetris, no accidental drops even when trying to be a little bit imprecise with it on purpose.

But the real test will be with a street fighter game I suppose.

I just hope this is not a wear and tear related issue and just a minor set of faulty dpads instead. The

The controller is the most ergonomically comfortable one I've ever held, it's super well designed.

Top Bottom