• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Apparently, Titan imitation pictures are the new photo trend among Japanese schoolkids.
pKImjW3.jpg
zXDupoN.jpg

Dennis

Banned
Does this mean the show is a hit in Japan?

How does one measure success of an anime in Japan?

Do they have public ratings?

Does this mean the show is a hit in Japan?

How does one measure success of an anime in Japan?

Do they have public ratings?

Right now BD/DVD pre-orders are tracking between 40K-70K for the first volume which is incredibly good for Japan. The manga has also sold around 1mil copies per volume.

ZoddGutts

I wonder if the people at Shonen Jump regret turning this down now?

Can't blame them if they were told about the twist with them responding with "lol nope".

Anyways some news about the anime:
The Attack on Titan production committee issued an apology on Wednesday for not finishing episodes 4 and 5 in time to air on three stations. Broadcasters FBS, Hokkaido TV, and TOS TV Oita only received parts of the episodes, resulting in a difference in content compared to what the stations MBS, Tokyo MX TV, TV Aichi, and BS11 showed.

The committee cited differing deadlines for broadcast stations as the cause, but promised to dedicate more time and staff to the production to prevent the issue in the future. Character designer and chief animation director Kyoji Asano posted an ad on Twitter last month to recruit animators to join the anime's staff.

The series is currently airing on MBS in Japan, and Crunchyroll and Funimation are streaming it as it airs in North America and abroad.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...logizes-for-unfinished-episodes-on-3-stations

The first 2 episodes of Muv-Luv Alternative. Apparently it's nothing like it after that though.

Well theres 2 episodes later on that aren't cute girls doing cute things. Eclipse sucked. The only thing worth it was tank-kun x human tank. Alt had it's downtimes, but, at least it had a plot.

duckroll

Episode 6

2uLbUuw.jpg

Key Animator credits or War Memorial wall? You decide.

This is a pretty normal episode of Attack on Titan. That is to say, there is some good action, lots of mediocre character scenes, and a ton of stills used all over when they can't animate anymore. It's a pretty slow episode too. They totally stretched out the Mikasa flashback scene, and it takes up half of the entire episode. Some really drawn out scenes which got pretty old towards the end. Still, it's pretty important development for Mikasa and Eren, and it was really faithful to the manga... to a fault.

I think this episode is a testament to why throwing more bodies at an animation project doesn't really solve anything though. As the image above shows, there are 34 key animators and 39 Second Key Animators for this episode. That's a really, really abnormal number for a TV episode, and it shows that they certainly have the money to pay for the bodies in the budget, but that doesn't mean it ends up looking better. It just means they might be able to finish it... by the deadline... barely. :p

OceanBlue

Episode 6

I think this episode is a testament to why throwing more bodies at an animation project doesn't really solve anything though. As the image above shows, there are 34 key animators and 39 Second Key Animators for this episode. That's a really, really abnormal number for a TV episode, and it shows that they certainly have the money to pay for the bodies in the budget, but that doesn't mean it ends up looking better. It just means they might be able to finish it... by the deadline... barely. :p

Holy shit. I guess this is another example of the scheduling problems this show apparently has. Are scheduling problems a temporary thing or do they tend to last through the entire production?

dan2026

Another good episode. They did the flashback justice.

Next week, shit gets real, cannot wait for the reactions.

Also they better do it right with some top animation.

I came in here because of the thread title.
What does Linkin Park have to do with giant naked humans attacking people?

Evilore seems to think the series is too melodramatic, despite the fact people are totally justified for being all sad and shit.

The original title was Godzilla+Spiderman+Band of Brothers.

Jarmel

Banned
Episode 6

This is a pretty normal episode of Attack on Titan. That is to say, there is some good action, lots of mediocre character scenes, and a ton of stills used all over when they can't animate anymore. It's a pretty slow episode too. They totally stretched out the Mikasa flashback scene, and it takes up half of the entire episode. Some really drawn out scenes which got pretty old towards the end. Still, it's pretty important development for Mikasa and Eren, and it was really faithful to the manga... to a fault.

Holy shit, Wit going to war.

dan2026

Episode 6

They totally stretched out the Mikasa flashback scene, and it takes up half of the entire

Totally stretched out the Mikasa flashback?

Are you an idiot?

It was the exact same length as the manga. The episode animated two full 40 page chapters.

Jex

I don't really think there's anything to be gained by being painfully faithful to the original text, except that it stops (some) manga fans whining as much. Manga and anime are very different mediums and if you don't account for that you end up with a whole heap of problems.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Episode 06

The new scenes were really bland I thought. Kind of an unnecessarily drawn out episode, but it should help some people understand the whole Eren/Mikasa relationship I suppose.

Jarmel

Banned
Shingeki 6-

I think they changed a slight part around in Mikasa's backstory for the worse.
In the anime it seems like Eren found a separate cabin while in the manga it's in the same house as his father rushes for help. It's more coincidental here that Eren just happens to come across them.

I also think the tone got played up a bit compared to the manga or maybe my interpretation was different I guess. I read Eren as more desperate in that bit rather than psychopathic as he seems here.

Also lol at the stills but they're trying I guess.

Soma

Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 06

Mikasa focused episode <3

As she's my favorite character of the series I liked this episode quite a bit despite the flashback taking up a considerable portion of the episode. I kinda expected that much going into it though. I still found it to be a really good scene and gives some background for Eren and Mikasa's relationship and highlights just how crazy and irrational Eren is. For an episode delving into the backstory of the main characters, there was still some nice action scenes to be found. That running Titan scene in the first half of the episode was hilarious in its movements yet really disturbing at the same time.

I think people expecting a satisfying follow-up to the end of last week's episode might be a bit disappointed but at least the stage is now more or less set for the next portion of events (to some people's chagrin :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom