• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - World exclusive hands on with GTA V

urge26

Excited, but mum at this point without a pc release..... preordered on ps3, but after my first 15 hours of saints row iv on pc, I wonder how they can match the framerate/graphics of a good pc...... it's a dick move by Rockstar on their hardcore fans..... they know those like myself, will purchase on 360/ps3 then double dip on pc..... almost like george lucas.

Excited, but mum at this point without a pc release..... preordered on ps3, but after my first 15 hours of saints row iv on pc, I wonder how they can match the framerate/graphics of a good pc...... it's a dick move by Rockstar on their hardcore fans..... they know those like myself, will purchase on 360/ps3 then double dip on pc..... almost like george lucas.

Since GTAIII, the PC version has been released ~8 - 10 months after the console release for every GTA game. If it's a dick move on their hardcore fans, well, they've been doing it this way for 12-years...

BFIB

I don't see why anyone is not surprised at the lack of PC announcements. Usually GTA's are a while after the console releases.

Still not expecting a next-gen version, though I'd expect PC to be announced for a May release.

I hope the game comes close to Max Payne 3 and RDR, graphics wise. GTA IV hasn't aged very well and those shots are so good, that I may be disappointed because I expect too much.

I don't see them going with the approach they did with San Andreas to IV. (Taking out all the cool and fun shit.) Especially since the game is on the same console.

Only reason I would see them taking out the deformation is that it may have been taxing on the system/engine. It just worries me that they haven't shown any real car crashes, raw gameplay or even deformed cars at all.

Raptomex

Of course they didn't.

It's an exclusive preview. They won't say anything negative
From trailers and the gameplay videos the framerate looks solid. I think even one of the GTA IV trailers displayed some framerate dips in one sequence. This looks great so far. I just hope the city area (at least downtown) is correctly populated and dense.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Welcome to Grand Theft Auto V Week on IGN!

You no doubt already have your calendars marked for September 17 -- the day Grand Theft Auto V releases. It's going to be a loooong couple of weeks to wait.

Fortunately, we can help pass the time. We've lined up a ton of fun Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online content that will hit IGN between now and launch. Here's the schedule, which will be updated as more pieces fall into place. Note: each day's content will be posted at 9am PDT/12pm EDT/.

• Tuesday, September 3: World's First Grand Theft Auto V Hands-On
    [*] Wednesday, September 4: Grand Theft Auto Online Hands-On
    [*] Thursday, September 5: The Sum of All Peers: Rockstar Discusses How it Built a Next-Gen World on Current-Gen Tech
    [*] Friday, September 6: Another Take on Grand Theft Auto V's Single-Player Campaign
    [*] Saturday, September 7 and beyond: ??? (Check back and see!)

I'm hoping that the GTAOnline hands on has more details and meat than this hands-on. A hands on that basically serves as a fancily worded mission walk through does nothing for me.

GTAIV's mission walkthroughs sounded awesome until you realized that they were very isolated missions that were not par for the course. The one they all focused on was the mission where you had to go online, set up an interview with a law firm, get a phone call, go to the interview, choose how to kill the interviewer, and then either sneak out the window, or rush out guns blazing. Out of all of the missions in the game, it was the only mission that gave you a choice with consequences on how to handle the bad guy in it.

So... I'm really not into the mission walk throughs for single player. Especially when they are glorified in such a way to make you think that this is par for the course, one mission out of many.

Although GTA Online missions are probably a little less scripted because of the nature of online, so I am interested in seeing how complex they can get.

Have any of the previews mentioned the framerate at all?

Nah, these aren't really previews that are going into the tech or the engine, but more or less mission walk throughs. The German preview said that they were seeing the 360 version of the game and it ran without stuttering, but they mentioned this in passing, so I wouldn't take it as a definitive yay/nay on framerate. I'm wagering it's closer to RDR, which ran very well except for in a few note worthy areas like Tall Trees or when there was a lot of fire/smoke.

TheGamer

Ik80vHA.gif

I can't wait 14 more days until this game comes out. I CAN'T WAIT!!

I'm hoping that the GTAOnline hands on has more details and meat than this hands-on. A hands on that basically serves as a fancily worded mission walk through does nothing for me.

GTAIV's mission walkthroughs sounded awesome until you realized that they were very isolated missions that were not par for the course. The one they all focused on was the mission where you had to go online, set up an interview with a law firm, get a phone call, go to the interview, choose how to kill the interviewer, and then either sneak out the window, or rush out guns blazing. Out of all of the missions in the game, it was the only mission that gave you a choice with consequences on how to handle the bad guy in it.

So... I'm really not into the mission walk throughs for single player. Especially when they are glorified in such a way to make you think that this is par for the course, one mission out of many.

Although GTA Online missions are probably a little less scripted because of the nature of online, so I am interested in seeing how complex they can get.

Wait, wait, wait... you can sneak out the window in that mission? I've been learning quite a few things about GTA4 this last week.

Burt

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh shit, I clicked.

I pretty much never, ever, ever care about eating up some click bait, but the fact that I don't even have to read a word to know that it's going to be some of the most serious Rockstar fellatio ever published makes me wish I passed on this one.

I just want to know how much they paid for the privilege to regurgitate Rockstar PR.

Fjordson

I know we all figured it would be back (maybe it was already confirmed before today) but thank god for mid mission checkpointing. Also glad the mission retry feature system is back.

Why are we okay with only having seen actual gameplay in the last couple months? Why are we okay with today being the first hands-on?

I don't understand why we're putting so much faith into Rockstar, generating so much hype, when we've only been seeing the actual game for a month.

Rockstar has done the same thing ever since GTA III. Be happy that we even got a gameplay trailer. They just started doing those with Red Dead

Amir0x

Banned
I guess IGN only gets taken seriously when they have exclusive previews of games we are anticipating.

I certainly don't. I was laughing half the time I read the article. That entire effusive ending part about "I suspect next-gen starts when GTAV says it does", I couldn't stop rolling my eyes. I wonder what score IGN will stick on this bad boy? Does it get higher than a 10?

And his little description at the start that's supposed to make me feel like GTAV is special? I can do that last minute past a car shit in every open world game on Earth, what element of that experience was unique to GTA or any open world game frankly?

I mean there are details within it that, I mean, I guess are informative, but it was a painful read, start to finish.

Edit: Before the complainers come, I am ridiculously excited about GTAV.

Fjordson

I certainly don't. I was laughing half the time I read the article. That entire effusive ending part about "I suspect next-gen starts when GTAV says it does", I couldn't stop rolling my eyes. I wonder what score IGN will stick on this bad boy? Does it get higher than a 10?

And his little description at the start that's supposed to make me feel like GTAV is special? I can do that last minute past a car shit in every open world game on Earth, what element of that experience was unique to GTA or any open world game frankly?

I mean there are details within it that, I mean, I guess are informative, but it was a painful read, start to finish.

Nah, you're not really off base here. I'm a massive GTA fan, and even I can see this was a meaningless fluff piece.

I'm just in it for the details. I did like hearing about these missions. I like that they seem to have more multi-faceted ones than IV, involving different types of vehicles and whatnot.

Joeki11a

Banned
Will not look like that on your TV
horrible framerate, dithering and jaggies will be there guaranteed.

Rockstar must have a only touched up screens in photo mode policy.

Realistically this will look worst than Max Payne 3, that game took RAGE to the limit
this game looks like 10 steps behind MP3 characters design.

deli2000

I'm more excited for GTA V than I have been for any game in recent memory. But this article is hyperbolic wank.

IGN has become overzealous in giving love for the game and fail to deliver a hands-on which does not made it seem that they got a bucket load of gifts from Rockstar, including a blank cheque.

They are deprived from any type of love for gaming in general and this has been the case over the course of years. You can not expect any amount of respect from gamers in general if you are getting overhyped like a kid in a colorful candy shop like it is their first visit, but instead they have been in countless of others.

A 10/10 from IGN is like a car brand promoting their new car. You love the details and spec sheet, but know in the back of your mind that you are better off waiting on customer opinions before you purchase it.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I was chasing a stricken business jet across the countryside on the outskirts of Los Santos. I was controlling Trevor below on a dirt bike, bombing over the lumpy ground full throttle, one eye on the terrain and one eye on the plane above as the pilot weaved about searching for somewhere to put his smoking bird down. A road suddenly revealed itself ahead; it wasn’t especially busy but there was a truck ambling along it. I needed to blast across this road to continue keeping tabs on the plane, so I was left with a split-second decision: dart in front of the moving truck or ease off the gas and let it pass.

“
Trevor and the bike sprang out from in front of the encroaching truck like a stabbed cat.

this reads like fan fiction.

I jog out onto the road and train a pistol at the first driver I obstruct, assuming he’ll abandon his car. He does not; he slinks down behind the steering wheel and floors it, running me down in the process. Civilian responses to carjacking seem more varied here in GTA V. In a few cases simply wrenching the door open is enough for the occupant to get out of his or her car in fear, without you raising a further finger. I appropriate a shiny red, El Camino-style pick-up and proceed to hurl it around the streets. It handles noticeably differently from the high-powered supercar; potent but heftier. The pick-up doesn’t stick to the road quite as tenaciously but it’s simple to tame and throw about.

I loose a few rounds into a passing bus to stir up the fuzz and trade my pick-up for a large beverage truck. The truck’s bulk makes for some satisfyingly crunching collisions with the pursuing police cruisers but, again, I’m chopped down minutes into my rampage.

I've been doing this since the first game. Only change is now they floor it towards you.

keeping my eye very close on this one.

Joeki11a

Banned
IGN has become overzealous in giving love for the game and fail to deliver a hands-on which does not made it seem that they got a bucket load of gifts from Rockstar, including a blank cheque.

They are deprived from any type of love for gaming in general and this has been the case over the course of years. You can not expect any amount of respect from gamers in general if you are getting overhyped like a kid in a colorful candy shop like it is their first visit, but instead they have been in countless of others.

A 10/10 from IGN is like a car brand promoting their new car. You love the details and spec sheet, but know in the back of your mind that you are better off waiting on customer opinions before you purchase it.

Oscar winner

Grammy Winner

DjRoomba

Banned
Yeah I dont care to read this guys intereperation of some missions. Im more interested in hearing how smooth the game runs, which doesnt seem to be mentioned at all.

Fabrik

Banned
Just read a couple of bits. This article is pure propaganda, pure PR. No professionalism whatsoever. Shame on IGN.

Top Bottom