• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

Singstar Queen :D

No band version:

Band version:

^This preview doesn't reflect it, but I realigned the band slightly to be centered on the front cover.

joat217

Neo Member
Hey Rengoku, do you have this Bioshock cover for 360?
Didn't spot it in the thread.
bioshock_3dcoveru8h5.png

Ricky_R

Well my cover isn't clean, minimalist nor finished, but here it is...

I decided to post at least the front in low res, which is the only thing I've done so far. If anybody likes it then I'll finish it quick.

uc2ccopy.jpg

Android18a said:
I've been trying to keep mine minimal whilst still being 'box arts'. I've tried to keep the logo prominent and quite large where possible, and kept the spine informative. I don't think the back not having a blurb or screenshots hurts it in most cases. I'm sometimes unsure whether or not to add company logos, though.

That's the thing -- this thread is for custom covers. If, as the cover artist, you deem it to be a cover and that's what you intend the piece for, so be it, great, thanks for the contribution. I don't think we ever set any particular guidelines -- they just kind of evolve as people up the bar in certain areas. For those of us who want something specific style-wise or for a game that hasn't been done, we make it and if others like it and use it, awesome.

People are certainly entitled to their opinions on the artists' works, but necessarily see the need to criticize a particular style of cover. If you don't see the cover you want in a style you like either (1) make it yourself or (2) request it and one of the nice artists who contribute to this thread may make it for you. (Example: your awesome Queen Singstar cover ;))

--

Nice job, Ricky_R!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Ricky_R said:
Well my cover isn't clean, minimalist nor finished, but here it is...

I decided to post at least the front in low res, which is the only thing I've done so far. If anybody likes it then I'll finish it quick.

uc2ccopy.jpg
The way it's distributed makes Lazarevich the MC.

kayos90 said:

I can see your point, but in the same vein, if he currently has the two good guys on the left and the two good girls on the right. If he switched Drake with Lazarevich, it wouldn't quite be right because of the grouping/affiliation.

Ricky_R

kayos90 said:

Yeah, that definitely went through my head when I was doing it, but like the one above said, he is central due to him being the only villain. I also got inspired by posters and covers from movies and games that use the villain in the higher background or in the center.

I'm giving him too much attention though, I agree... But I like how his face look.

AniHawk

enzo_gt said:
I'm.. I'm not quite sure what your trying to say here. Do you simply dislike the concept of an image stretching over to the back unless it has something significant on it?

basically, yes. there's more room to play with a box because there are basically three sides to it (although the spine can be ignored). instead a lot of these are essentially posters with the name of the game and system it's on slapped on top. in a lot of cases it makes the text hard to read, which is doing a disservice to both the artwork and the logos.

the only other one i can remember off the top of my head was an alan wake one, which had a flashlight illuminating stuff on the spine and the cover, but you wouldn't know it was a flashlight unless you looked on the back of the box. not sure if that was the intention, but it worked with all sides.

RedSwirl

Ace Combat 6

EDIT: Screwed up the cover. I'll re-upload it later this evening.

Assault Horizon is a work-in-progress. Can't find anything high res enough to put on the back.

I'm also starting to re-do some of my earlier work to fit the newer formats, but it may take a while and I'm still not sure if I'm going to host all the updated versions. Maybe on an on-request basis.

I also still need help getting my Gamecube covers to work wtih a 3D template in CS2. It'd be nice if someone just made a GCN 3D template and script in the earlier style.

Rengoku

Just starting to catch up on this thread and filling some requests:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - PS3 (Alternate)

Bioshock - Xbox 360

And a new one:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - PS3

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Xbox 360

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - PC

alr1ghtstart said:
i put 800 (default) and it came up 704x602. Source was 3242x2164. AR was correct.

The bug has been fixed, I had to replace the scripts for the 360, PC and Wii 3D templates. You'll need to redownload those to get the latest scripts. The original mediafire links should refer to the latest packages.

Thanks!

Mikeside

Rengoku said:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Xbox 360

The bug has been fixed, I had to replace the scripts for the 360, PC and Wii 3D templates. You'll need to redownload those to get the latest scripts. The original mediafire links should refer to the latest packages.

Thanks!

This on PC would be awesomesauce

Blackheim

I bought Mobile Suit Gundam Crossfire (PS3) used a while back and it didn't come with a cover. I didn't see a custom cover in this thread for it, would it be possible to have one made up by some ambitious soul?

Blackheim said:
I bought Mobile Suit Gundam Crossfire (PS3) used a while back and it didn't come with a cover. I didn't see a custom cover in this thread for it, would it be possible to have one made up by some ambitious soul?

Crossfire isn't Dynasty Warriors Gundam right ? Because There's one for DWG

Blackheim

UnluckyKate said:
Crossfire isn't Dynasty Warriors Gundam right ? Because There's one for DWG

Unfortunately no, I saw the DWG3 cover and got excited at first heh. That's another game I need to get sometime in the future though...

Rickard

Ricky_R said:
Yeah, that definitely went through my head when I was doing it, but like the one above said, he is central due to him being the only villain. I also got inspired by posters and covers from movies and games that use the villain in the higher background or in the center.

I'm giving him too much attention though, I agree... But I like how his face look.

Remove sully, insert Flynn, switch drake and Lazaravich.

Besides. Sully's barely in UC2.

Some truly incredible pieces on here.

I've been looking for something like this for a while now, and have just stumbled across a goldmine.

Has anyone thought of doing a 'triptych' piece or similar for those trilogies out there? A matching 3 piece set for the Gears of War, Mass Effect, Uncharted etc.

Or even just complementing covers for games with sequels. Doing something across multiple spines would look sweet.

Just an idea, I would love to replace those mis-matched covers on my shelf with something much better!

Dreweyes

Got really excited about the news that this is coming to the US,
so I made a cover art based on the Miyazaki japan bluray covers!
What does everyone think?

Click to download! :)

EDIT: I can make alternate color versions if anyone likes.

All of the official artwork, including the Ni No Kuni PS3 and whatnot, all feature gold, so that's why I chose the color I did.
Dark brown could also work, and blue (but Nausicaä's cover is already that color)

Dreweyes said:
What game is that :/
By the way it looks great!

First one in a week.
Thought I'd do a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl cover art. Hopefully I'm not the only one with a physical copy d:

RedSwirl

I think I'm gonna try to make an improved version of the NFS Hot Pursuit cover from the last thread. Can't find any art big enough though.

Any Shadows of the Damned love in here? That game needs some treatment bad.

Also, paging mik from the previous thread:
http://i.imgur.com/h2cFA.jpg

Would you, or anyone else be able to flip this cover around? Making that back image the front and vice-versa, please? Also removing that R1 logo if at all possible.
I finally got Nier so I would like to packaging to have some style.

Dreweyes said:
Looks great, I feel it's missing a little Studio Ghibli logo somewhere though. Possibly the spine?

Gagaman

Didn't like the back of my Sega Superstars Tennis one, so I made it simpler.

Also finally finished off my Mega Drive Ultimate Collection design. The PAL box lacked Sonic, but I sure as hell wasn't going to use butt-face Sonic from the US box.

RedSwirl

Give me that Mega Drive Collection cover for 360. Do it now.

And can you change it to say "Genesis"?

My first time posting. It was a bit hard to create one of these for Deadly Premonition, since there is not much high quality art or logos to be found for the game.

RedSwirl

Assassin's Creed: Revelations
(Links now lead to covers with white title instead of black title like you see on the 3D images below)

Also, here are the raw links for the three Gamecube covers I did a while ago. Hopefully someone else here can correctly post them in 3D without spoiling the names of the games because I don't really have the tools with me to properly adjust the dimensions for Gamecube cases.

RedSwirl, you can't really read the "Assassins Creed" part of the logo, just the "Revelations" bit. Like with the Epic Mickey cover that was posted earlier, I'd suggest making that part white instead of black to make it more readable.

RedSwirl

Android18a said:
RedSwirl, you can't really read the "Assassins Creed" part of the logo, just the "Revelations" bit. Like with the Epic Mickey cover that was posted earlier, I'd suggest making that part white instead of black to make it more readable.

The links above now lead to adjusted covers (but the 3D images are the same).

Top Bottom