• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris English demo now available on the Switch eShop

Lylo

Played the demo with my mum, plays dreadful with a joy-con​, but perfect with a Pro Controller. Can't wait to pick this up in two weeks! Really doubting between physical and digital for the first time ever.

Edit: do we know if the lack of rumble is just in the demo?

Did you use the Joy-Con strap? Single Joy-Con gameplay feels much better with that. Also, there's rumble on the JP demo, don't know why it isn't in the NA demo, but i sure hope it will be present in the full version.

I know this is going to sound ignorant, but when people say "this is the best iteration of Tetris since x" what do they mean? My first Tetris was on the original Gameboy in black and white. It's the same game. It's still fitting the same pieces in the same slots. Is it the music, the speed at which you can drop them, the backgrounds?

Well, i simply cannot play the Gameboy Tetris anymore without some of the modern QoL improvements we have on newer versions like hold piece, hard drop, ghost piece, etc. Also, there are differences between newer versions like soft drop speed, lock delay, t-spin registering, etc.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I know this is going to sound ignorant, but when people say "this is the best iteration of Tetris since x" what do they mean? My first Tetris was on the original Gameboy in black and white. It's the same game. It's still fitting the same pieces in the same slots. Is it the music, the speed at which you can drop them, the backgrounds?

I think it really goes by most interesting gimmick and variety of modes - Tetris DS is revered because of the Nintendo theme and unique game modes, and this one is obviously because of the interesting mash-up and again, unique game modes.

Some of the other recent Tetris games like Tetris Axis, Tetris Ultimate, etc. don't have an interesting theme and mostly the same old played out modes (and the latter one even had performance issues, somehow?). Always passable because of the core gameplay but it's easy to see why some are recommended over others.

Adding onto this:

One of the more recent and ubiquitous versions (Tetris Ultimate) is an embarrassing clusterfuck of performance issues layered on top of a drab, sterile aesthetic. Of course PPT looks good in comparison; just about anything would.

But besides that, I want to directly address the bolded above and argue that Tetris really isn't the same game as it was ~30 years ago. Have you noticed that pretty much all of the gameplay footage of Puyo Puyo Tetris focuses on versus modes (either against a human or a CPU opponent) instead of strictly single-player stuff, whereas NES Tetris was strictly a single-player affair? Noticed how people constantly pop into these threads to ask "is there a standard Tetris Marathon mode in this game?" over and over? PPT does have those standard modes (Marathon, Sprint, Ultra), of course, but there's a reason why they're never focused on or showed-off.

In short: Modern Tetris (be it Puyo Puyo Tetris, Tetris DS, Tetris Ultimate, or any official TTC-sanctioned version of the game released in the past decade and beyond) is a good multiplayer game, but a poor single-player game.

If you go back to NES Tetris or Gameboy Tetris, you'll notice that the piece movement is much, much more strict. In particular, pieces lock into place instantly upon touching the floor. Combine that with the fact that the piece generators in the old games are much more random, you didn't have a hold box, and you could only view 1 upcoming piece at a time, and it's actually quite challenging to survive for very long. You really have to know how to plan ahead and deal with bad pieces in those old games. At a certain point, survival becomes unrealistic outside of tool-assistance.

In modern Tetris games, piece movement is extremely flexible. You can slide pieces around a lot after they touch the ground, even at maximum gravity levels. You can twist pieces into all sorts of holes that just don't look possible at first. The piece "randomizer" in modern games isn't random at all; you're guaranteed to have completely even piece distribution, you have a hold box to change up your order as you see fit, and you can see 5 pieces ahead at a time. This makes it so that even perfect clears are feasible to plan for. (This is not just theoretical; it's entirely practical. You will actually see this utilized by high-level players online.)

All of those concessions in modern Tetris games can feel enjoyable at first, but they come with a pretty big pitfall: they make it too easy to survive forever in modern Tetris. This is why you don't see serious players messing around with Endless Marathon anymore. When I gave it a whirl in Puyo Puyo Tetris, I survived for about 90 minutes before I just quit the game out of boredom. And I'm not amazing at this game.

So, modern Tetris is a multiplayer-centric game by default as a natural result of these changes. No matter how long you can survive in Marathon, you still have to be more skilled than your opponent to win a VS match, so multiplayer Tetris doesn't have the problem of an embarrassingly low skill-ceiling that single-player Tetris does.

Players who focus on solo-Tetris tend to play specific games like the Grand Master series, which use more strict rotation rules. In typical modern SRS Tetris, though, you basically have to impose more constraints and challenges upon yourself (highest score within 150 lines, fastest time for a max-out score, etc.) to keep it interesting. Playing for survival is pointless.

/nerd

Puyo Puyo actually makes a great mash-up for modern Tetris because Puyo was designed to be a head-to-head game from the outset. It's the standard-bearer for competitive puzzle games.

Hmm I don't know if I'm just terrible but the AI on versus are beating me pretty easily. I tried lowering the handicap on the AI and it didn't make any real noticable difference.

Does anyone know how the handicap works?

The AI in this game varies by character. The weakest characters are typically at the top of the character select screen.

I forget what handicap does because I always play on default, but I expect that it would alter # of puyo colors or garbage somehow, not AI.

shiyrley

Banned
Preordered this and MK8D yesterday at my local Media Markt. Can't wait.
Amazed at how many people are turning a blind eye to the 40% price hike on the Switch version compared to the PS4 version that comes out the same day.
"Please be annoyed at this"

Come on. Yes the game is more expensive on Switch, yes it sucks, but you don't need to get upset at the fact that we are discussing about the game.

Perfect Clear strategies aren't just feasible to plan for, they can be entirely deterministic.

Luckily you can throw a spanner at this pretty easily in vs by sending any kind of garbage line at them... just make sure lady luck is on your side and you don't give them a perfect garbage hole.

newsguy

The AI in this game varies by character. The weakest characters are typically at the top of the character select screen.

I forget what handicap does because I always play on default, but I expect that it would alter # of puyo colors or garbage somehow, not AI.

Well shit! I was wondering why that Tetris bot was wrecking me. Sure enough I picked another opponent and I handled him fairly easily. The confusing thing is that all difficulty says normal, so I figured there was no variance in difficulty no matter the avatar.

D.Lo

I really don't get the almost hyperbolic hate for the english voices. Aside from the loss of "LUV TETORIS" they're hardly offensive.
Because I am a different human being with different preferences and can choose to not buy a game if I don't like how it sounds.

the dub is awful. Just something about the voice acting market in JPN vs NA means that in Japan they have a wide variety of dopey, cutesy, dorky, annoying, whiny, etc voices for child characters, but in NA voice acting they always have the same set of adults trying to deliver the most annoying sounding set of child characters they can imagine.
That's pretty much it.

-shadow-

Did you use the Joy-Con strap? Single Joy-Con gameplay feels much better with that. Also, there's rumble on the JP demo, don't know why it isn't in the NA demo, but i sure hope it will be present in the full version.

Yeah I did, it's the analog stick that iffs me for games like this. The dpad controls were perfect.

Don't you adjust the difficulty on your character? I made the mistake of thinking that changing the difficulty for my opponent means changing the difficulty OF my opponent. I was wondering why it seemed even easier for me.

CPU difficulty is based on the opponent. The setting you change on the characters is your handicap.
I somehow feel even more confused. Would be cool if manuals were still a thing, or if digital manuals actually explained game content!

Played one game against the ai in switch

Thought I'd get rekt at puyo puyo and dominate tetris

I had the ai on the ropes in puyo puyo, then it switched to tetris where I died to a tetris and triple :|

This game has a unique quirk with the AI: they often pretend they have no idea how to play for the first ~45 seconds, then proceed to pull 10-chain combos out of thin air and vaporize you. Strange. But, to be fair: most Puyo games I've played have this as well.

Thanks for this post! I had no idea that Tetris had evolved so much over the years--or that Tetris and Puyo were such competitive games. This entire thread's been eye-opening.

Quick question: How does Panel de Pon stack up (heh) to these games competitively? My bro and I used to go at it at Tetris Attack growing up and now I'm curious how it compares.

Yes, it really is a full Puzzle League experience with multiple modes and a story. Have you given Puyo Puyo Tetris a try yet?
That's awesome. I may have to consider New Leaf one of these days.

I have not given Puyo Puyo Tetris a shot yet, but it's definitely one of my most wanted Switch games when I get one.

But besides that, I want to directly address the bolded above and argue that Tetris really isn't the same game as it was ~30 years ago. Have you noticed that pretty much all of the gameplay footage of Puyo Puyo Tetris focuses on versus modes (either against a human or a CPU opponent) instead of strictly single-player stuff, whereas NES Tetris was strictly a single-player affair? Noticed how people constantly pop into these threads to ask "is there a standard Tetris Marathon mode in this game?" over and over? PPT does have those standard modes (Marathon, Sprint, Ultra), of course, but there's a reason why they're never focused on or showed-off.

In short: Modern Tetris (be it Puyo Puyo Tetris, Tetris DS, Tetris Ultimate, or any official TTC-sanctioned version of the game released in the past decade and beyond) is a good multiplayer game, but a poor singleplayer game.

Very informative. Until the PPT demo I had hardly played any official Tetris releases (as opposed to calculator ports and other amateur projects) since the Game Boy, and I was stunned to see how much fluff had been added to cushion players through the game, from the Hold slot to the permissible rotations of S-blocks into slots where I intuitively expect them not to fit. I figured this was the product of a long accumulation of design decisions and not something introduced all at once, but it definitely made the idea of classic solo Tetris less appealing than the demo's head-to-head Swap mode. It was clear this iteration of Tetris was balanced around the expectation of landing combos and clearing garbage, not surviving against unlucky randomization.

S2

I want to add another thing to sixfortyfive's statement about the Tetris in this game being multiplayer focused: there aren't any leaderboards online for high scores in marathon mode or fast times in Sprint. The only thing Puyo Puyo Tetris will rank you by is your performance in competitive modes.

Quick question: How does Panel de Pon stack up (heh) to these games competitively? My bro and I used to go at it at Tetris Attack growing up and now I'm curious how it compares.
Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me has videos they can dig up, but I'll try to explain. Panel de Pon isn't as good. You'll eventually hit a skill ceiling where matches last forever because you can incorporate panels from cleared garbage to keep surviving. I guess you could argue that managing your panels wisely to prolong survival is a skill in and of itself, but I dunno... most of the time it looks like people run out of panels because they get screwed over by the RNG in ways that can't be realistically anticipated. For this reason you'll find that the PDP community tends to prefer speedruns or score attack over human versus matches.

randomkid

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me has videos they can dig up, but I'll try to explain. Panel de Pon isn't as good. You'll eventually hit a skill ceiling where matches last forever because you can incorporate panels from cleared garbage to keep surviving. I guess you could argue that managing your panels wisely to prolong survival is a skill in and of itself, but I dunno... most of the time it looks like people run out of panels because they get screwed over by the RNG in ways that can't be realistically anticipated. For this reason you'll find that the PDP community tends to prefer speedruns or score attack over human versus matches.

Or just do human versus score attack matches like we did. So many memories of 2 minute time trial versus matches growing up. Completely skill-based, insanely fun.

Glix

Whoa!!!

This is much cooler than I expected.

Great post 645! I was shocked a few years ago when i played a modern tetris for the first time! The amount of fuckery is high compared with how hardcore it was back in the day.

My tetris was the most solid part of my Nes world championships. Got me to day two!

/brag

XaosWolf

For those worried about single player content there IS still an entire Story Mode that will challenge you in different ways and force you to improve.

The reason Marathon is no longer the defacto Tetris mode is because over the years the game and its systems have become more focused on speed of play.

The heart of Marathon mode is still there: highest score in 150 lines. But the challenge and competition is now in how fast you can complete it WHILST getting a high score. The core game play and goal is still the same though.

Marathon and Endless are still vital tools for trying new things though. If you haven't played the original GB version then there is a LOT you can incorporate into even just the classic modes: Spins, combos, the now mainstay holds and hard drops. (both of which can be disabled if you want)

Tetris has evolved so that it can remain relevant amongst all the other puzzle games. A lot of which are competitive. The game has remained largely the same since Tetris Worlds though when the Super Rotation System was solidified.

Its worth looking up the evolution of Tetris as it really has been through a lot to still stay as iconic as it is today.

Oh and don't sleep on Puyo Puyo. It may be alien to a lot of the west, but there's a reason its Japan's tip puzzler. =D

I want to add another thing to sixfortyfive's statement about the Tetris in this game being multiplayer focused: there aren't any leaderboards online for high scores in marathon mode or fast times in Sprint. The only thing Puyo Puyo Tetris will rank you by is your performance in competitive modes.

Thanks! I can confirm that my bro and I would sometimes hit prolonged periods of equilibrium in the manner you described. For us, it was hype (cuz we weren't good enough to live forever), but I can see how experts would just find it boring/frustrating after a while.

I think I'm going to buy PPT, you guys. I miss puzzle games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I can already tell I'm gonna enjoy getting good at Puyo Puyo.

I swear one of the characters yells "wet pussy!"
The japanese dub sounds like its filled with slurs in my language its fing hilarious.

Me and my friend where playing vs and all you could hear was swearing.. fing hilarious..

Yeah so what's the deal with that ? I remember people saying the Japanese demo was a way to test hd rumbles, but there is no rumble at all in the western demo.

Nah, the rumble in the jp demo is no good. It's super loud and too strong, you cannot make anything out of it. If that's hd rumble it sucks but I'm sure that's not it.

Camjo-Z

I thought people were overreacting about the English voices but sweet Jesus, these are bad. Suddenly "IKIMAAAAAASU! BUGUUU!!" isn't as annoying as it once was.

I own this on PS4, but my friend is borrowing my Switch. How does this feel on the Switch in handheld mode? Or with the Joycon sideways? I am a little nervous about playing this without a real d-pad, and I just can't play Tetris or Puyo with an analog stick.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm killer at Tetris but I'm terrible at Puyo Puyo. I can't set up anything beyond a 2-chain and get decimated because of it.

Kinda wish this was just a pure Tetris game instead, or maybe a panel de pon/Tetris mashup.

I own this on PS4, but my friend is borrowing my Switch. How does this feel on the Switch in handheld mode? Or with the Joycon sideways? I am a little nervous about playing this without a real d-pad, and I just can't play Tetris or Puyo with an analog stick.

I tried last night and it felt weird for quick movements. You can always try the demo when you get the switch back

gICgbxr.jpg

Based on the microphone icons from the English trailer on each character I'm guessing we'll at least be able to turn the voices off for some characters.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm killer at Tetris but I'm terrible at Puyo Puyo. I can't set up anything beyond a 2-chain and get decimated because of it.

Kinda wish this was just a pure Tetris game instead, or maybe a panel de pon/Tetris mashup.
It's not that difficult to setup 2+ chains if you put in the tiniest bit of effort. There's several good tutorials out there including the Puyo Nexus one. I'm no Puyo expert as I just started myself but I can consistently beat the AI in the demo by now.

I want to know this too. Also, if there's a classic Tetris 1 vs. 1.
You realize there's Tetris 1v1 in the demo...

Based on the microphone icons from the English trailer on each character I'm guessing we'll at least be able to turn the voices off for some characters.

The microphones represent characters who you've unlocked the alt voice track for. Don't expect the alt voice to be the Japanese voice or anything even closely resembling it; for example the English alt voice for Sig turns him into anime protagonist whereas the Japanese alt voice turned him into a literal pokemon

ZeroX03

Banned
This is really fun to play with... basically anyone. I've met very few people who don't enjoy Tetris. It's portable and comes with two controllers by default. Puyo is easy enough to learn too.

Panel de Pon is and always be the GOAT tho

Sami+

Adding onto this:

One of the more recent and ubiquitous versions (Tetris Ultimate) is an embarrassing clusterfuck of performance issues layered on top of a drab, sterile aesthetic. Of course PPT looks good in comparison; just about anything would.

In short: Modern Tetris (be it Puyo Puyo Tetris, Tetris DS, Tetris Ultimate, or any official TTC-sanctioned version of the game released in the past decade and beyond) is a good multiplayer game, but a poor single-player game.

If you go back to NES Tetris or Gameboy Tetris, you'll notice that the piece movement is much, much more strict. In particular, pieces lock into place instantly upon touching the floor. Combine that with the fact that the piece generators in the old games are much more random, you didn't have a hold box, and you could only view 1 upcoming piece at a time, and it's actually quite challenging to survive for very long. You really have to know how to plan ahead and deal with bad pieces in those old games. At a certain point, survival becomes unrealistic outside of tool-assistance.

In modern Tetris games, piece movement is extremely flexible. You can slide pieces around a lot after they touch the ground, even at maximum gravity levels. You can twist pieces into all sorts of holes that just don't look possible at first. The piece "randomizer" in modern games isn't random at all; you're guaranteed to have completely even piece distribution, you have a hold box to change up your order as you see fit, and you can see 5 pieces ahead at a time. This makes it so that even perfect clears are feasible to plan for. (This is not just theoretical; it's entirely practical. You will actually see this utilized by high-level players online.)

All of those concessions in modern Tetris games can feel enjoyable at first, but they come with a pretty big pitfall: they make it too easy to survive forever in modern Tetris. This is why you don't see serious players messing around with Endless Marathon anymore. When I gave it a whirl in Puyo Puyo Tetris, I survived for about 90 minutes before I just quit the game out of boredom. And I'm not amazing at this game.

So, modern Tetris is a multiplayer-centric game by default as a natural result of these changes. No matter how long you can survive in Marathon, you still have to be more skilled than your opponent to win a VS match, so multiplayer Tetris doesn't have the problem of an embarrassingly low skill-ceiling that single-player Tetris does.

Players who focus on solo-Tetris tend to play specific games like the Grand Master series, which use more strict rotation rules. In typical modern SRS Tetris, though, you basically have to impose more constraints and challenges upon yourself (highest score within 150 lines, fastest time for a max-out score, etc.) to keep it interesting. Playing for survival is pointless.

/nerd

Puyo Puyo actually makes a great mash-up for modern Tetris because Puyo was designed to be a head-to-head game from the outset. It's the standard-bearer for competitive puzzle games.

Oh shit, thank you. Pre-order cancelled LMAO, the only reason I was planning to get it was so that I could play classic with these visuals. My girlfriend and I already have a blast playing VS in the demo and she didn't see any point in getting a full version.

Also I refuse to pay $30 and not be able to shout "YABOBOOOO" and "TETURISU DESU WA?" at each other. No dual audio sucks.

Top Bottom