• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House Intel Panel hearing on Russian involvement (3/20, 10am ET, livestream)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Anyone still think Comey is a traitor who sabotaged the election?

Yes? At least a bit. There's really no excuse for the bullshit he pulled against Hillary. The tongue lashing and then announcement of a giant fucking nothingburger were completely outside the norms. To me I think he was sure Hillary would win and wanted to hit her on it, but his calculation failed completely.

KHarvey16

I'm not sure I understand how you're reading it that way. To me, he's more or less saying "There is tons of circumstantial evidence of collusion (and a lot of it is public). Then due to the evidence of deception, we begin investigating that and see where it leads."

He's just outlining the reasoning of the investigation.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I've seen the quote presented as a conclusion based on the investigation so far.

royalan

Anyone still think Comey is a traitor who sabotaged the election?

Absolutely.

Yes? At least a bit. There's really no excuse for the bullshit he pulled against Hillary. The tongue lashing and then announcement of a giant fucking nothingburger were completely outside the norms. To me I think he was sure Hillary would win and wanted to hit her on it, but his calculation failed completely.

This.

There's absolutely no excuse for Comey being so silent on the FBI's investigations into the Trump/Russia connections while running to make a public statement every time someone in the Clinton camp sent an email. None.

He clearly didn't except Hillary to lose, or his reputation to take the hit that it did.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
The invites themselves are delivered clandestinely — it is not unusual for staff to be completely unaware that their senator or rep has such a meeting until after it happens.
Every republican except for one, was not even aware this meeting was happening.
Really crazy that the republican chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee wasn't aware. But his democrat counterpart was.

And if he didn't write the letter it would have gone public anyway.

Every republican except for one, was not even aware this meeting was happening.
Really crazy that the republican chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee wasn't aware. But his democrat counterpart was.

The borscht is coming from inside the committee.

My prediction (not for tomorrow, but for the next few weeks) is that evidence will come to light that Trump knew that his staff, both before and after Nov. 8, were colluding with the Russians (specifically agents of the State itself). There's really no reasonable doubt any more re: the collusion, just whether Trump knew.

In fact, I think one of the reasons that the Republicans are trying desperately to get "repeal and replace" done ASAP is they realize that everything is going to grind to a halt once this happens and their chances will have evaporated.

Shit is going to get real interesting.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

No idea if it's true or not, but Comey would likely have been replaced under Hill, since he did a few quasi partisan things under Obama and was already getting sideye. So it makes sense that he'd a) Assume she was goin to win, like everyone else did (except the Gaf Hillary Derangement Force) and wanted to color her presidency from the outset as a favor to his team.

I know somebody who knows Comey directly, and they at least think he'll try to do the right thing now. And that he probably views his escapades as a disaster.

But for good or bad, he's going to be careful and slow - either to thoroughly clear Trump and buy back some loyalty, or to thoroughly ensure he won't be in a position to destroy the intel community.

Obviously I hope for the latter.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a serious investigation underway, Comey and all of his interactions with the intel committees point to it. I am no fan of Comey after the election but the signals are there to read.

Kusagari

I have a feeling we'll get collusion confirmations but it will be stooges like Manafort and Stone taking the fall while Trump is absolved.

Swass

By the way, Comey just sent information to internal members including the house oversight committee, it was Jason Chaffetz who leaked the email and blew it up to the media.. yes the same guy who has lead all the investigations into Clinton and refuses to look into Trump's ties to Russia.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...BI-directors-letter-about-Clinton-emails.html

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I have a feeling we'll get collusion confirmations but it will be stooges like Manafort and Stone taking the fall while Trump is absolved.

That would be plenty, honestly. It might not get Trump impeached but it would permanently tarnish his presidency. He'd be guaranteed to lose in 2020.

Mutant

That's the evidence that lead you to that conclusion? Or are you basing it purely out of empathy?

Syncytia

That's exactly what I'm saying. I've seen the quote presented as a conclusion based on the investigation so far.

The next quote from him is saying that the circumstantial and deception is exactly why we need an investigation... Maybe he knows enough that he knows there isn't much of a real investigation and is trying to get in front of tomorrow's hearing to argue why there needs to be an investigation.

"There is certainly enough for us to conduct an investigation," he added. "The American people have a right to know and in order to defend ourselves, we need to know whether the circumstantial evidence of collusion and direct evidence of deception is indicative of more."

By the way, Comey just sent information to internal members including the house oversight committee, it was Jason Chaffetz who leaked the email and blew it up to the media.. yes the same guy who has head all the investigations into Clinton and refuses to look into Trump's ties to Russia.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...BI-directors-letter-about-Clinton-emails.html

Yeah, Chaffetz doesn't get enough flak for this. It all goes to Comey although he wasn't the one to make it public.

Actually he is going to throw Comey under the bus (with help of that magic negro Obama of course).

"Comey big Obama supporter. Political witch hunt against me by FBI. CORRUPTION!!"

Trump has actually already set this up, I think his team know something is coming. His defense the other day of his wiretapping claims included a mention of "some interesting things coming out over the next couple of weeks." They're setting the stage to paint any investigation as an Obama-led witch hunt.

And then those Stooges will testify against Trump to save their own ass.

No honor among thieves and all that.

They could end this quicker and subpoena Flynn

Sally Yates should be a good one.

RDreamer

That's the evidence that lead you to that conclusion? Or are you basing it purely out of empathy?

I'm basing it on what I saw. His conference where he announced no charges was astounding and unprecedented. The letter was also nuts. He could have waited the day or two to say there was nothing, but the moron made an announcement beforehand and then caused all that damage when he should have zipped it during an election unless there's something big.

I hope Comey drops some bomb shells tomorrow when he testifies for congress. I am praying it blows this wide open and destroys Trump.
tumblr_nxjvhp2l4G1rfd7lko1_500.gif

If you live in the US, this is both funny and sad. Funny in the fact that Comey will not say anything. Sad in the fact that Comey will not say anything.

Ac30

That article:

This is pretty crazy stuff. Only one republican has been briefed at the highest level, all other republicans have been excluded. Also, puts some context into that video of Feinstein.

Maybe they're all shook because it was Obama colluding with the Russians this whole time and it's the end of the Democrats as we know them.

/tinfoilhat

ascii42

This should be interesting.

Or Comey's going to come out say they found a couple more of Hillary's e-mails somewhere.

jstripes

Banned
Considering Feinstein's reaction, I almost think they told her the entire GOP has been compromised.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that were at least partially true.

The scenario I imagine in that case would be the Russians also hacked the GOP's email, and the contents are extremely damaging. They leaked the Democrats' email in order to influence the election, and they held onto the GOP's in order to maintain loyalty from party leadership.

Prepare for GLOMAR.

Yup. I think it's possible that Nunes pushed to have Comey testify as soon as possible to assure that Comey is unable to say much of anything. If there actually is something to this investigation, it would be the single biggest case in American history by a pretty large margin. The body of evidence that Comey would need to make the accusation would need to be massive. Until he has that, he can't (and shouldn't) really say much.

Schiff said. "I would characterize it this way: At the outset of the investigation, there was circumstantial evidence of collusion. There was direct evidence, I think, of deception."

Yeah this is going to be a great hearing on Monday. Schiff wouldn't be teasing like this if there wasn't a huge fucking stink. He can't say anything definitive due to confidentiality. But this has gottah be the finest of the lines.

Schiff said. "I would characterize it this way: At the outset of the investigation, there was circumstantial evidence of collusion. There was direct evidence, I think, of deception."

Yeah this is going to be a great hearing on Monday. Schiff wouldn't be teasing like this if there wasn't a huge fucking stink. He can't say anything definitive due to confidentiality. But this has gottah be the finest of the lines.

Don't expect too much out of this hearing. There is going to be months of political posturing before we get to the endgame. Schiff is saying that to put pressure on Nunes to subpoena Trump campaign staffers to testify before Congress. During this hearing Schiff will try to put more pressure on that front, but it will take a while for that to happen. Then Nunes will buckle and the next hearing will inch the whole thing forwards.

This is all going to take a long time.

That article:

This is pretty crazy stuff. Only one republican has been briefed at the highest level, all other republicans have been excluded. Also, puts some context into that video of Feinstein.

Yeah, I think it shows how little trust and goodwill is between the intelligence community and the GOP right now. Something big is going on, no matter what comes out of these live hearings. I almost have to wonder if the true story of it all will ever be heard in full in our lifetimes.

5 minutes in "...well, its clear the Trump campaign or those involved with the Trump administration have never been involved with any agents of Russia, but lets talk about what's really important here, Benghazi."

"We have evidence Trump colluded with the Russians....and Final Fantasy 7 will be coming to the Nintendo Switch."
Would be my dream come true.

I do wonder what President that plays up Pop Culture looks like lol

"The new budget will cripple my supporters but OH LOOK IT'S THE NEW STAR WARS TRAILER. "

Xe4

Banned
I expect nothing from Comey, hope he proves me wrong.

As per usual, Comey is going to do everything in his power to save his job. That's the only reason he acted in any fashion in the past few years. It's why he dropped those emails a week before the election, and it's why he is totally willing to back stab Trump if given the opportunity.

I mostly expect a lot of "its classified" from him, though.

Yeah. This article pointed out some interesting observations: http://m.dailykos.com/story/2017/03...ctor-Comey-gave-Two-Briefings-on-Capitol-Hill

It seems like certain people are being very obviously left out.
This is crazy shit. So Comey is spooked that Nunes will leak/sabotage the investigation?
What may have made the difference is who Comey was addressing in each briefing. He trusted those in the Senate briefing with highly confidential information but the same cannot be said for the briefing given to Nunes and Schiff.

If there was someone in that House briefing that Comey didn’t trust, it was Devin Nunes. The circumstantial evidence against Nunes is certainly piling up
But I dont think Nunes has involvement with kremlingate.

So even if nothing illegal is found, he's still going to have a big press conference scolding Trump, and announcing that he's reopening the russian investigation a week before the 2020 election right? Right!?

Yeah, I think it shows how little trust and goodwill is between the intelligence community and the GOP right now. Something big is going on, no matter what comes out of these live hearings. I almost have to wonder if the true story of it all will ever be heard in full in our lifetimes.

I honestly would not be surprised if the GOP looked at the US under Obama and began thinking "we can't let *insert minority slur* take over our country. We need to take our country back!" Cue Russia, who cracked into both the DNC and RNC but only released what they learned from the DNC.

They first reached out to Trump, then began trickling into members of the GOP and Trump's team. Lord knows how many may truly be compromised. Everyone on Trump's cabinet? Possibly. Half of the Congressional GOP at least?

This is crazy shit. So Comey is spooked that Nunes will leak/sabotage the investigation?

But I dont think Nunes has involvement with kremlingate.

Haven't they reported that Nunes immediately made a beeline to Trump Tower following one of the first committee meetings?

That article:

The idea that Schumer and Warner were present but Burr an McConnell weren't is nuts. I actually had to track down a second source on who attended because it seems to crazy.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...nators-amid-questions-about-trump-russia-ties

FBI Director James Comey conducted a classified briefing with four top senators on Capitol Hill on Wednesday afternoon after lawmakers demanded details on whether the agency was investigating ties between Russia and Donald Trump's presidential campaign.

The meeting, which lasted about an hour, was held in a secure room in the Senate basement and was attended by Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa; the committee's ranking member, Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.; Mark Warner of Virginia, the top Democrat on the Senate intelligence committee; and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York.

So, yeah... that shit's crazy. I am wracking my brain for reasons why McConnell and Burr would decline an invitation. Can't think of one right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom