• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curb Your Enthusiasm S9 |OT| He Left. He Did Nothing. He Returned - Sundays on HBO

Felt like the Curb I've always known and loved.

The Fatwa making the news made sense. Let's not forget the "peeing on Jesus painting" was a controversy.

While I enjoyed the comedic aspects of the 'foisting', it's a recycled story arc from season 3, where Larry foisted the nanny on Jeff/Susie. Felt a little lazy. But aside from that small annoyance, what a wonderful season opener that was!

Dalek

Was anyone else surprised that Jeff and Susie’s kid is old enough to get married? Seems like only yesterday she was playing with dolls with Larry.

The opener with Larry trying to get the twist bottle open then breaking it - my life summed up.

But for real, how are you supposed to open those things? They don't come with instructions and they're not immediately apparent. Any time I successfully open one, I feel like I just got lucky.

Great fucking episode. Didn't realize how much I missed this show.

Extremely excited for this! At what time does the episode go live in the US?
I've got a HBO Nordic account, and we always get the shows one, or two/three days later than the US airing. (Sometimes Late Night With John Oliver can take several days to get uploaded to HBO Nordic, and by then I've already seen the cut version that gets uploaded to Youtube)

They're usually timely with scripted shows. I think the delay of stuff like John Oliver and Maher is because they have to add subtitles.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Larry talking about the bride/groom thing was just being a dickhead. The door holding thing was good but Curb is always at its best when he has a point. He did with the door but not with the gender roles part.

Also I find it weird he would write a play about Salman Rushdie's fatwa and then openly talk shit about the Ayatollah. I feel like he would write it and then as soon as it is required to publicly discuss it, freeze up and become paranoid about the threats to his life.

Still, solid episode.

SpecX

Was it good? I didn't get home till late and went straight to bed. Planning on watching today, but want to know if it's just as good as previous seasons?

Santiako

Man did I miss this show. Great start. I hope Leon sticks as his assistant for a while.

"Larry David's Office, what the fuck is up? I'm sorry, that bitch got foisted." was so so good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The door holding was classic Larry. He considers his decision briefly, makes a judgment call in his gut, gets called out for it, and then aggressively doubles down by constructing a scaffolding of why he made the decision and how anyone would have done the same and he can't apologize for that.

First half was hilarious, didn't enjoy the Kimmel bit as much because it didn't seem particularly plausible (that all the news networks would cover it) and kinda low-hanging fruit.

They wouldn't cover the Kimmel bit on its own but they'd definitely cover the Fatwa. There was extensive coverage of the Rushdie Fatwa (and even years later, like when Cat Stevens gave an interview that some people incorrectly interpreted as rationalizing the Fatwa) and that was in a world where the news was dramatically less interested in sensationalizing this stuff the way they are now.

dLMN8R

It's been a while since I watched the old episodes of Curb, but I think I genuinely laughed more and harder at this episode than most other Curb episodes. What a perfect return to form!

Shadybiz

Good first episode; looking forward to more. Leon the assistant was hilarious!

Agreed that he was kind of just being a dick with the gender roles thing, and the holding the door thing was more of classic Larry.

smisk

I'd seen the first couple seasons of Curb a few years ago and liked it, but just recently started aggressively bingeing it on Amazon. And fuck this show is good. Thought the third season got a little week, but the fourth was great. Right up there with my favorite comedies of all time.

The asshole dial was tuned way up that first episode, whereas often I can somewhat empathize and laugh with Larry's arguments(even if I disagree), it didn't work out that way like at all here.

Still, the structure was classic Curb and it is great to have a new season all the same.

I feel the same way. Usually, Larry's good intentions get misunderstood and taken as rude. This one, he was just straight up asshole. It's funny and everything, but it was different from what I'm used to in Curb. I did love his and Richard Lewis's back-and-forth.

Also, if this is to be the overarching plot for the season, it seems pretty zany. Maybe that's just me? Almost all of the season-long plots have been pretty grounded: opening a restaurant, preparing for a Broadway musical, writing the Seinfeld reunion, finding out who his biological father is, Richard Lewis needing a kidney, etc. But him offending the ayatollah and having to go into hiding? Seems a bit out there.

I still enjoyed the episode and I'm sure I'll enjoy the season, but it's just not what I was expecting.

Socreges

Banned
I feel the same way. Usually, Larry's good intentions get misunderstood and taken as rude. This one, he was just straight up asshole. It's funny and everything, but it was different from what I'm used to in Curb. I did love his and Richard Lewis's back-and-forth.

Also, if this is to be the overarching plot for the season, it seems pretty zany. Maybe that's just me? Almost all of the season-long plots have been pretty grounded: opening a restaurant, preparing for a Broadway musical, writing the Seinfeld reunion, finding out who his biological father is, Richard Lewis needing a kidney, etc. But him offending the ayatollah and having to go into hiding? Seems a bit out there.

I still enjoyed the episode and I'm sure I'll enjoy the season, but it's just not what I was expecting.
Jeff Garlin had been suggesting in interviews that this season would be nuts.

Ah ok. Aside from the teaser-trailer, I had avoided everything about this season cause I wanted to go in blind, so I hadn't expected this.

BghCNCL.gif

Sloane

Banned
Season is off to a good start, great episode. Was a bit afraid when Garlin talked about the big thing but that's actually a fun idea.

Jag

That had to be a Larry line.

The thing with Larry is that we worked hard to make these surprises be surprising and he doesn't like people who ruin a surprise party. So that was the biggest thing. It wasn't about ratings. He just wanted people to enjoy the show the way he wanted them to enjoy the show.

But this is also a guy who will run out of a movie with his hands over his ears if there is a trailer for a movie that he wants to see. He takes it to the extreme!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...premiere-larry-davids-fatwa-explained-1044741

Zousi

Loved it. Finally something that guarantees laughs to our weeks. That disguise was so surprising that it just floored me. Just big old smiles from start to finish.

boxter432

Was anyone else surprised that Jeff and Susie’s kid is old enough to get married? Seems like only yesterday she was playing with dolls with Larry.

I initially thought the same thing...
but...

the doll episode was in season two.

in 2001. 16 years ago!

looked up the actress that played their daughter...she's 25. wtf.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Is this a truth is stranger than fiction thing? It literally happened. Salman Rushdie literally wrote a totally innocuous book, got a Fatwa against him, and had to have round the clock security for a decade. I find it hard to believe an actual true story could be too zany to be real :p

Socreges

Banned
Is this a truth is stranger than fiction thing? It literally happened. Salman Rushdie literally wrote a totally innocuous book, got a Fatwa against him, and had to have round the clock security for a decade. I find it hard to believe an actual true story could be too zany to be real :p
I don't think he's saying that it's unbelievable. It's just zany.

That said, Larry also had a black family move in with him for an entire season. That was pretty zany. The Fatwa plot just has a different feel because it's serious, life or death.

boxter432

I don't think he's saying that it's unbelievable. It's just zany.

That said, Larry also had a black family move in with him for an entire season. That was pretty zany. The Fatwa plot just has a different feel because it's serious, life or death.

well Larry also died and chats with his mom in heaven and his guardian angels dustin hoffman and borat.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I enjoyed it but it felt a little bit too constructed. They crammed basically all of the cast into one episode which wasn't really needed, the whole scene with Cheryl's fundraiser was pointless. Hopefully now that the re-introduction episode is over things will improve.

Larry in disguise was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

MrS

Banned
The fast cuts in the opening scenes were horrible but as the episode went on it felt more and more like the Curb of old. Leon's presence continues to elevate the show to all-time great proportions. Curb is back.

Ristifer

Fucking hilarious opener.

It did feel like it was shaking off some rust at the beginning (except for the door holding bit - classic), but it shook it off so well. Foisted!

Top Bottom