• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a year: Google Maps's quiet transformation, Apple Maps's ___?

ascii42

there's no real reason to not just use Google Maps as your goto maps app in iOS.

Luckily, the interconnection between "default apps" isn't as big with the maps app as it is with, say, the default web browser, the default email client, the default media player.

The wonky start of Apple maps made people immediately lose trust in the app. And if you end up always double checking via the google maps app anyways, why not skip the built in maps app altogether.

CarPlay, with its lack of support for Google Maps, is why I continue to hope Apple Maps improves. I think I always use Google Maps when I'm using my iPhone directly.

And all this for free from both services?

There has to be a catch right? It's actually so big brother can track all cell phones more accurately right?

Generally speaking, if something is free, it's because you are the product (usually, as a target for advertising).

bionic77

Google does when giving directions.

At least in NYC. Maybe they don't have information sharing outside the MTA

I'm actually on vacation in Montréal right. It does seem that their transit instructions up here are better than google.
I find Google to be trash if driving in NYC. I don't even try to use Apple Maps.

Waze is serviceable but you are best served by knowing where to go.

Google does when giving directions.

At least in NYC. Maybe they don't have information sharing outside the MTA

I'm actually on vacation in Montréal right. It does seem that their transit instructions up here are better than google.

Yeah I just double checked. Google Maps still tells me to take the same directions as if nothing's wrong. On Apple Maps there's a big warning saying buses are replacing subway trains from station X to station Y.

Apple doesn't need to surpass Google Maps, just be good enough for people to be content using the default/integrated option. IMO they aren't there yet but they're making substantial progress.

Google's job is to keep redefining what 'good enough' is by continuing to innovate and improve and raise the bar of consumer expectations.

IMO, Street View is Google's biggest advantage here, but they don't really promote it enough to users who don't know about it.

Great article
And that's only the visual changes to Maps

Directions is insane at times, if it has enough data it will tell you when there is open parking spaces near you to turn in

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This piece is almost stupidly in-depth.

Every time, as I went through it, and I thought "well, what if that, or what if this" it would be covered in the next couple of sections.

It's clear that Google's adventures and expenditures are paying off.

hirokazu

I like Apple Maps' aesthetics but it needs to better vet the data it gets from third party sources and it needs its own ground truth team. I submit corrections to both Google and Apple Maps regularly and often several months later, the corrections would revert because it's been replaced by the incorrect data from their third party source again. Or sometimes, the data would be fine and then it'd get replaced by a fucked up third party source, like the time when all airports just showed their airport code rather than the actual name of the airport.

Apple just doesn't have the resources to maintain Maps to the quality of Google. They thought they'd get by with third party sources but in reality, that was a good way to catch up fast, not a good way to continually improve and catch up. They need to allocate their own resources. On top of having their own team and AI StreetView mining StreetView data, Google also has a robust contributors program. Apple needs to do the same. The contributors are on the ground, submitting new data and corrections, and They do it for free.

Heavy gif warning, this website just grinded Chrome on my beefy laptop to a halt. As a result, I couldn't even see half of the pictures of the page, sadly enough.
It works fine on my iPad, what kind of janky-ass browser are you using LOL.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I mean, this was in Google for multiple years before Apple maps. I think it was there before Apple maps existed.

I've switched to Waze for long trips as the police locations are awesome
Apple, with metro stations entrances and indoor pathways included:
DQAQi0U.png

Googe, with not even the correct routing of the metro lines, and not much else:
gXr9DOj.png

So how is Google better for transit?

Fuchsdh

I've been burned by Apple and Google Maps, so I keep both on my phone and generally check both on directions if it's someplace new to see if they agree. For the most part Apple does well for me, but I do think the weakness of identifying specific businesses they call out in the article and the lack of detail patching on non street areas are good examples of Google's best strengths.

Really I dunno how Apple can match them, though, outside of going full Streetview and doing their own mapping as well. I definitely prefer Apple Maps for its look and transit versus Google.

Also, the article refreshed my memory that the original Google Maps was terrible looking.

manakel

Wow. Great article. The writer really did the legwork.

As for this whole Google Maps vs Apple Maps.

Waze is the GOAT. Hopefully Google fully integrates Waze and its features into Google Maps someday.
Yep exactly. Waze letting you know about police, hazards in the road, speed traps, etc. is enough to make me never look back. It really would be amazing if they would fully integrate the two.

jts

...hate me...
^ good example why maps are not mail or other service that can be compared straight, regardless of where you are. Not even Google can cover all the planet in real time, so there totally are places where Apple Maps have better coverage than Google Maps. Depends on your particular neck of the woods.

^ good example why maps are not mail or other service that can be compared straight, regardless of where you are. Not even Google can cover all the planet in real time, so there totally are places where Apple Maps have better coverage than Google Maps. Depends on your particular neck of the woods.

Even though I think Google Maps is a lot more fully featured, Apple Maps is more accurate in my area. It's forcing me to use Apple Maps more.

It's strange because I don't exactly live in the middle of nowhere, but there's been plenty of new roads/buildings that are on Apple but haven't appeared on Google even after a year.

hirokazu

I think Apple Maps has better transit, period. The lines are just easier to look at and it's all quite straightforward. The only downsides where Google does better is it tells you which platform you need to go to and what time you'll arrive, which are curious omissions in Apple's implementation.

Google Maps is the best there is, no competition whatsover, i would love if they updated faster the map of my country (seems they do it yearly or every so months)

Aequitas

Great read, I really wish Apple would make more of an effort to improve Maps. Google Maps would be the only navigation app I would need if it had CarPlay integration.

kiguel182

As someone who doesn't drive, transport information is fundamental to me and Apple Maps doesn't offer me that where I live. Google on the other hand as all the data I need showing me routes that include every transportation available with time tables and all of that. Makes my choice a no brainer.

jts

...hate me...
I think Apple Maps has better transit, period. The lines are just easier to look at and it's all quite straightforward. The only downsides where Google does better is it tells you which platform you need to go to and what time you'll arrive, which are curious omissions in Apple's implementation.
What I meant is that coverage (on a case by case basis) is more important than features, as in, if you don't have coverage, the features don't matter.

I like Apple Maps and all but where I'm from, Apple Maps doesn't cover transit (even though it's a city with 3D view), while Google Maps does.

It doesn't matter much to me as I drive there, but for a transit commuter it would be different regarding which app is best for him.

Jezbollah

Google Maps is shit. My house was built in 2012. The older parts of my development in 2010. Google still has the same very area as being farmland before work even started (2009). I live not a few miles away from a major international airport. They haven't even driven their car around - people from here have to edit the Google Maps itself if they want their street to appear to navigate to.

Apple Maps has the entire development in full on there, with no issues with street accuracy, satellite photos or navigation.

valeo

Google Maps is shit. My house was built in 2012. The older parts of my development in 2010. Google still has the same very area as being farmland before work even started (2009). I live not a few miles away from a major international airport. They haven't even driven their car around - people from here have to edit the Google Maps itself if they want their street to appear to navigate to.

Apple Maps has the entire development in full on there, with no issues with street accuracy, satellite photos or navigation.

Ah yes, one example means Google Maps is shit. Well done.

Jezbollah

Ah yes, one example means Google Maps is shit. Well done.

it's a pretty big thing for several thousand people that live around here for their roads not being on there if navigation is what Google intends this to be used for. This has been reported by many here several times yet hasn't been corrected.

Would you like it if your house or road wasn't on there seven years after it was built?

Didnt think so.

ViciousDS

Banned
I use whatever to find what I need and then use Waze for driving or transit.

Shit saved me tons of time heading into the city, I bypassed the entire stand still traffic on the highway

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Generally speaking, if something is free, it's because you are the product (usually, as a target for advertising).

also market research

they track where you go

you can tell this if you have the google survey rewards app installed on your phone

you'll get questions about places you went recently. like, sometimes if you go to a shopping center you'll get a question about which one of the places there you went to in a day or so

hirokazu

What I meant is that coverage (on a case by case basis) is more important than features, as in, if you don't have coverage, the features don't matter.

I like Apple Maps and all but where I'm from, Apple Maps doesn't cover transit (even though it's a city with 3D view), while Google Maps does.
That's definitely true.

I think the thing with Apple Maps transit is their approach to each city or region is very consistent, from the quality of the transit lines to the timetables. The downside is some places might have special needs that aren't necessary addressed by the one-size-fits all approach.

Google, on the other hand, seems to have done a mish-mash on transit, with different cities having different approaches, quality and care taken. It kinda seems all over the place.

I've also been reading this blog from time to time, which covers Apple Maps strengths and issues in Japan compared to other maps services, among other things. A lot of those same issues are evident in the service for the rest of the world too.

refreshZ

Interesting article, thanks.

I live in Singapore and frequently travel around countries in the region. Apple Maps is spectacularly bad the moment you step outside of major cities. Google by contrast is considerably better. Seems like the only waypoints of note in Apple land are Starbucks and McD's so you're screwed if none of those are around.

Tenck

It's just... why? Google Maps is clearly superior. I'm sure Apple Maps works fine most the the time but there's a better, free option available. I guess most people just don't care. Whatever is on the phone when you buy it is good enough.

My car takes advantage of it and not google maps. If I want to keep my eyes on the road I have to use Apple Maps unfortunately. Been a few times it makes me take the longer route, but I'll deal with that just so I don't have to look down at my phone.

A friend works for Here in Berlin, the other big map developer who provides the services for german automobile companies like BMW, VW, Daimler and other companies like facebook, microsoft and many others.
He told me that Apple build an office in Berlin for their map service and they are heavily headhunting staff from Here with extreme generous conditions for the seniors of here. I could see that the discrepancy will seize after while.

DSFan1970

I love Google Maps. They are the king. Apple is making slow strides however.

I have two questions though

Why can't either of them display speed limits when you're in a particular area when getting directions and traveling by car?

Why can't Google maps be used with CarPlay Isn't that an anti-competitive practice?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Google maps has improved a lot here in the US Virgin Islands. You can now use it for navigation, which I wouldn't have recommended just a few years ago. Apple maps has improved, but not at the same clip.

You know who else had improved? Microsoft maps or whatever that's called on Windows 10. Better imagery than Google maps in my area but without a good app on mobile I only really use it to plan a trip while I'm home.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
iPhone 4 was bad?
The antenna thing was certainly a PR nightmare for Apple. Starting with "you're holding t wrong" to eventually having to admit a mistake, and send a free case to every iphone 4 owner, which is the kind of thing the practically never do.

Rimfya

Banned
Apple Maps is the second worst thing that ever happened to Apple. The problem is they still, fundamnetally, don't get why they can't do it right.

Incorrect. It forced Google into making a superior Maps app, which they had no interest in doing before.

jts

...hate me...
The antenna thing was certainly a PR nightmare for Apple. Starting with "you're holding t wrong" to eventually having to admit a mistake, and send a free case to every iphone 4 owner, which is the kind of thing the practically never do.
It was still a huge success. Antennagate was crazy in how easy to replicate it was which blew the whole thing up in a viral manner, but it didn't have much impact in real world, from usage to sales to user satisfaction.

Plus the phone itself set new standards for the modern smartphone, with its retina display, build precision, quality and materials changing the whole game again. Hell I still consider it the most luxurious and exquisite iPhone (and smartphone) to date, whereas its successors turned to much more ordinary aluminium shells.

Vyer

Article is interesting, particularly in how the apps are steadily changing but the information doesn't necessarily improve in some cases.

I keep both. But Apple Maps usually gives me no problems for my usage. However I like Google's traffic indicator on the map much much better.

aerts1js

Public transit on apple maps is quite a bit better. It took weeks for the new second avenue line in NYC to show up on Google but it was there day 1 on apple maps.

On the other hand, Google is quite a bit better for driving.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Google rewards likely plays a big part in this. Every question I get nowadays is location based on which store I visited.

Mauddib

Banned
Pretty crazy. I opened the article today and started reading it. About a quarter into the read, I realized that the area of interest was the exact place I was having my breakfast while reading the article. Weird.

Mindwipe

Incorrect. It forced Google into making a superior Maps app, which they had no interest in doing before.

Not really. Google were always willing to make a better Maps app, they just wanted to have advertising in it and Apple refused. People generally don't switch defaults, and there's no integration, so all that happened for the average user is that their iPhone got worse.

Public transit on apple maps is quite a bit better. It took weeks for the new second avenue line in NYC to show up on Google but it was there day 1 on apple maps.

On the other hand, Google is quite a bit better for driving.

This is the same Apple Maps that included Aldwich station in London (which was closed down in 1994) and was missing Wimbledon station in it's entirety, yes?

Using hyper specific examples of why one is better than the other accomplishes nothing. Both are going to have blind spots. As with any piece of software you go with whatever one fits your needs the best.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm hemmed in by CarPlay- does Apple vet what applications support it? Surprised that Waze for example doesn't work on CarPlay- and audio apps are pretty buggy in my car

andthebeatgoeson

Google rewards likely plays a big part in this. Every question I get nowadays is location based on which store I visited.
Also this. And i get notifications to update my timeline. Maybe cuz I'm a 'contributer'?

But they all link in and help improve the accuracy.

Most of my reward questions are about bathrooms, atmosphere. I do worry that memory can be off and reward data would be more likely to be wrong just to get more money.

Top Bottom