• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR - Man weaves now becoming a thing

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
NPR

'Man Weaves' Offer Cover For Balding Men, Cash For Black Hair Care Industry

2017-05-25-man-weave-maquitapeters-557-edit_custom-e2da1d14bdd47af1dcfa21c82a44b1a7c24600fb-s800-c85.jpg

Robert Jenkins was only 21 when he started balding. It was a condition he'd expected given that his dad had been bald for as long as he could remember. What Jenkins did not expect, however, is that he'd have to deal with hair loss at such a young age.

He wasn't prepared for it.

"I had a lot of low self-esteem, I started to get depressed," Jenkins, now 28, says. "I wouldn't go to events. I would stay in the house because I was just embarrassed."

About two years ago, Jenkins's wife, Jayniece came across the Instagram page Wade the Barber and saw the work Wade Menendez was doing to help balding men sport a full and gorgeous head of hair.

Luckily for Jenkins, Menendez's barber salon The W Hair Loft was located less than 20 minutes' drive from his Odenton, Md., home. He booked an appointment and Jenkins got himself a "man weave."

"The results were amazing," Jenkins says. "I think I was shocked because I hadn't seen myself with so much hair for so long. I really didn't know how to take it."

He was anxious about how his wife would react, but when she saw it she was blown away.

"She absolutely loved it," he says.

Jenkins has since had the man weave installed four times.

Woaahh here he comes
Watch out world he's styling up
Woaahh here he comes
He's a man weaver

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Men are insanely sensitive about their hairlines, aren't we?

UltraMav

Just accept the baldness. Be confident, especially when she tells you ain't no way in hell she'll ever date a bald man, be confident.

Fury451

Banned
Basically seems like a good toupee/hairpiece?

Happy it's helping

Very. Especially young men who don't have long term relationships I've noticed, but I know many women who have biological thinning also. As if a human being's intrinsic value is only related to dead keratin cells on top of a head.

The are just hair systems they have been around for years it's a wig they cut and usually glue to your head and then is blended in to the existing hair. They are also kinda expensive.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Very. Especially young men who don't have long term relationships I've noticed, but I know many women who have biological thinning also. As if a human being's intrinsic value is only related to dead keratin cells on top of a head.

It's hard losing something you've come to take for granted as a part of your identity.
The fact that a not insignificant subset of womenpeople are repelled by baldness also doesn't help.

The Lamp

Looks good. Seems like a decent solution.

If I ever go bald I'm gonna go broke trying to fix it. I would look awful bald. If my bf goes bald I'll be sad because I love his thick hair.

See but it's not about what you find silly but what the balding people want to do to their hair or lack thereof.

That's why I said "Do what you want with your hair"

It's not like I find beauty mods shameful, but of course I have my thoughts on the attractiveness/effectiveness on various methods like anyone else

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
i wanna see the mechanics of this. this guys hairline starts on the top of his head. what are they weaving it to? can't argue with the end result but I wonder how long it lasts.

i wanna see the mechanics of this. this guys hairline starts on the top of his head. what are they weaving it to? can't argue with the end result but I wonder how long it lasts.

I watched some videos, they use an adhesive and start adding hair. Looks really good at the end.

L Thammy

My mother can't talk to either one of her sons without telling us that we have to "do something about our hair" or calling us fat. Is that unusual?

For the record, I'm not bald or overweight. She says this no matter what we do.

My scorched earth policy isn't extreme, it's only fair that if I can't have all my hair than I shall have none of it!

I was still in high school when my hairline started receding, so yeah that fucking sucks. Really lost out on the hair gene lottery.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
My mother can't talk to either one of her sons without telling us that we have to "do something about our hair" or calling us fat. Is that unusual?

Not to derail but the first thing my mom does when she sees me is call me fat. I could stand to lose a few pounds but no way am I fat.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Or alternately​

Ftfy and yes, yes we are. Luckily I have a full head of hair.
Minor syntax errors are a pain to correct on mobile and I just wanted to be obvious I was saying that as a dude. I have a thick head of hair at 34 and most of my other friends are falling out.

The holy trinity of male insecurities: dick size, hairline, height.

theWB27

For the record, I'm not bald or overweight. She says this no matter what we do.

I'd nip that in the bud real quick.

Umbooki

If my hairline is busted to the point where I'm considering manweave, I'ma just shave it all off. The roast I'd get from my friends would just make the decision worse.

Top Bottom