• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread (READ MOD POST)

sappyday

How in the fuck does GAF get so ugly everytime there is a review thread.

I expected this kind of score. Will definitely wait for a sale since Bioware games seem to hit the bargain bin a lot faster than other games.

Ray Down

Banned
I think he's pretty happy to be free from the hardships of game development and management, free from a rabid fanbase, and enjoying his millions of dollars and private airfield. :lol

He was able to escape and pass the torch on unlike Kojima lol, but I imagine he might feel a little verklempt about ME:A.

Any details about PS4-Pro?

Lime

OléGunner;232425990 said:
What's bizarre to me is quite a few reviews say the game plays it a little too safe in terms of new alien species and their culture/politics, environments and worlds etc.

I mean it's a freakin new galaxy for us to explore, their imaginations should've exploded.
Feels like they could've done a bit more creatively, even going by all the new footage now.

->

I mean, this is basically what Andromeda is about: replicating and carbon-copying the original trilogy:

1. a universal name for the player character (not-Shepard)
2. the not-Mako
3. the not-Normandy
4. the not-Citadel
5. the old grumpy Krogan
6. the lighthearted and naive Asari
7. the 2 human sidekicks
8. the Turian with a visor
9. the not-Space Jesus

and so forth. Even though we are in entirely new galaxy, it's still tired replications of the old game.

So I guess your question should instead be "did they really need to make a game that's replicating the old games?", to which the answer is that Bioware or their writers or their executives are too insecure about experimentation and pushing the envelope, that they simply follow the same formula we've seen over and over again since KOTOR.

Banned
Still buying it. I'll be my own judge like usual. I know what I want from my games and from my Bioware games.

RdN

I'm not worried.

I enjoyed what I played from the EA Access trial, so I'm keeping my preorder and really looking forward to putting time into it.

I also liked the "new" multiplayer, which for me was the highlight of ME3.

Ulldog

I'll play it... eventually. But these are some disappointing scores.

Feels like wasted potential, Bioware really had an opportunity to do something interesting.

Ushay

The reviews are quite polarising no? I imagine this game would have hit the upper 80s if it got the technical issues right.

Personally I think it will sell well regardless of opinions, Mass Effect has that kind of draw. If Bioware are smart they will get to updating and addressing these issues immediately and put out some awesome DLC for later this year. Much like Witcher 3 did, that had many new animations added, a UI overhaul and many more.

I think another thing to consider here is that the team that worked on this is pretty much new to this franchise.

Ding-Ding

Well I cannot say I am surprised by the scores. Everything leading up to this has indicated that it wasn't going to hit the same heights as its predecessors.

Still think I am going to pick this up though as 75 isn't a complete train wreck. While disappointing, I just miss the Mass Effect universe so it will take a game breaking bug to turn me away.

One cause for optimism though is quite a few say its possibly on par with the 1st game. As thats my favourite of the series, there just may be something there to keep me hookeded despite its obvious flaws.

Is this a bigger disappointment, or about the same as Destiny?
Destiny is like the most popular game on GAF, was new IP, and has probably the best combat in an FPS.

Destiny also has better visuals, characters, and animations than ME: A. Destiny's mostly lacking in story and writing. ME: A's writing exists but is lackluster.

owlbeak

Scores are much lower than I would have hoped, but I didn't cancel the preorder...mostly because it already shipped. I've never been too keen on review scores but, rather, player impressions, so we'll see what myself and others think. I loved the trilogy last gen, my favorite game was Mass Effect 1, so if this has many shades of that, I feel like I will enjoy it.

If not, I'm still really loving Horizon and when I'm done with that I'll pick up Zelda and play that first instead.

With TW3 as the only exception, is it possible for other studios to to produce a rpg with great story, worthwhile side quests, deep RPG mechanics, solid combat mechanics, great visuals, great animation and be shipped without brazenly obvious bugs (even TW3 faltered here)?

nier automata

visuals is debatable, but it's a 60 fps game so..

Well that's a no-buy from me then. Maybe when it's at bargain bin prices or gets added to PS+ in the future. Wasn't expecting such a fail. Thought it would get maybe an 83-86.

Crumpo

The reviews are quite polarising no? I imagine this game would have hit the upper 80s if it got the technical issues right.

It's a weird one; looking at some of the high reviews they don't seem to match the score they got. 9's read like 8's and 8's read like 7's...or maybe I didn't get the memo about the new baseline...

Digesting the reactions more, it really does seem like the "direct-to-video sequel" line is pretty much on point in terms of overall quality and who will like it in spite of said quality.
This EA meme is pretty fucking lame to be honest. Enormous budget, long as hell dev cycle. Why is it suddenly the publisher that we are blaming for this one? This game had every opportunity to succeed.

Yeah, that's the thing- there are a lot of games where you could put the blame for most of their issues at EA's feet, particularly DA2 and ME3. Here it seems like EA gave the team all the resources they needed and the result is a product that's significantly worse than the games that they gave less than half as much dev time to. The only real mistakes EA made here were releasing the game within 30 days of Zelda, Horizon, Nier, and Persona and not going full AC Unity and not letting anyone get their hands on the game until launch day.

okita

This EA meme is pretty fucking lame to be honest. Enormous budget, long as hell dev cycle. Why is it suddenly the publisher that we are blaming for this one? This game had every opportunity to succeed.

Because they put this game to sale , showing no respect for fans and their consumer (even with the problems being pointed out earlier like animations , etc)? The last word will always be from the publisher, perhaps they thought they could get away with this ...

kevin1025

Banned
In the previous thread someone said something along the lines of "well, a 75 is still a good game!".

Well, you have to understand that all Mass Effect games are scored a good 10-15 points higher than they should (imo). So following that reasoning, a 75 in Metacritic is more like a 60 for me. And I have a long list of pending games to play, it isn't even a question of money.

I don't understand this assessment.

I hope EA learns the real lesson of the original Mass Effect for the inevitable sequel. You can mess with amount of exploration or gameplay all you want, but the story is what anchors the series. The stakes need to be raised, and the player's decisions need to have weight. Characters need to be complex and unique enough to be memorable. Finally, for bonus points the game should touch on issues or themes larger than itself...

unfortunately, depending on sales, i think the lesson ea could just a easily take from this: 'if we have to spend even more money on this franchise in order to create something 'acceptable', well, screw mass effect!' :) ...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
In the previous thread someone said something along the lines of "well, a 75 is still a good game!".

Well, you have to understand that all Mass Effect games are scored a good 10-15 points higher than they should (imo). So following that reasoning, a 75 in Metacritic is more like a 60 for me. And I have a long list of pending games to play, it isn't even a question of money.

I mean I am disappointed that it's apparently not nearly as good as the trilogy. But a 75 is still a 75. I'm disappointed it's a 75 type game instead of a 85-90+ type game, but that doesn't make it a 60 for more.

It is coming out at a crowded time though, so I get many people skipping it now. As I said in the other thread, it's a good time for me as I've beaten the Q1 games I cared to play (beat Horizon and Zelda this past week), don't care to pay Persona 5 any time soon (if ever) and the next game other than this that I'll buy is MK8 Deluxe. So I'm still looking forward to firing this up tomorrow.

Played the 10 hour trial and was expecting 81-ish metascore (felt like, coming out so close to such revered games would make the problems stick out even more), but also knew that with all of those problems (the mediocre UI, the inflexible character creator, the janky animation, some iffy writing and the fact that, so far, dialogue choice seems mostly superficial), it was scratching an itch that made me want to play more as soon as the trial ended. That said, I hope these middling reviews are a wake up call. I feel like The Division and Destiny launched to okay reviews and really turned their games around over time, and I hope that EA listens and makes adjustments where they can.

The one thing that really has me wary, though, is that some reviews point out a lack of substantial new alien races. That's disappointing. One of ME and ME2's real strengths for me was that constant want to meet new races and personalities. That, more than the story, was what propelled me forward and allowed me to ignore some of the problems with the overall plot/game. The 10 hour trial didn't make a strong impression there and knowing it's not going to get much better is a bit of a hit for sure.

Still, excited to dive in tonight and pick up where the trial left off.

Mercador

Shame.. I have no doubt it's an unbelievable ambitious game to make. But it' clear they either needed more time, a bigger team, or... a better team (i can't judge the individuals of course).

As far as I know, this one was under Montreal office direction. I wonder if any folks of the original trilogy were there to help them out. It looks like the Montreal dev team was a junior one that got the contract to reboot Mass Effect. It's difficult to think that the game was green lighted with such bugs, animation and the like. And as reading reviews, even the game is bareboned, dull. It looks like the game have no soul, just a rehash from the old ME.

Maybe EA thought that even if the team is a junior one, they couldn't miss something with easy blueprints to reproduce. Did they change all the game at mid-course ? Because the game seems rushed though they got 5 years to do it.

Then, what Bioware Edmonton is working on? A new Dragon Age ?

Lime

Because they put this game to sale , showing no respect for fans and their consumer (even with the problems being pointed out earlier like animations , etc)? The last word will always be from the publisher, perhaps they thought they could get away with this ...

I'm only speculating but maybe the project simply was unsalvageable? Maybe EA had already given them delays after delays? Maybe it was just a money sink where things never got fixed, so they decided to ship it?

The other solution would've been to scrap the whole project, take the hit, and let Andromeda go sleep with Jesus Bynum.

With TW3 as the only exception, is it possible for other studios to to produce a rpg with great story, worthwhile side quests, deep RPG mechanics, solid combat mechanics, great visuals, great animation and be shipped without brazenly obvious bugs (even TW3 faltered here)?

Or story and quest related aspects isolated from great technical accomplishments due to budgets? For example will it ever be possible to combine say Obsidian's writing & quests in PoE or Tyranny with Horizon's technical achievement?

Horizon is every bit as impressive as Witcher 3 IMO, and in many ways, moreso. Sure, the RPG mechanics are not deep in Horizon, but I found W3's progression to be pretty bland overall, so it's a wash for me.

Pretty much been on a media blackout for this game. Already preordered on PSN. Hoping that didn't backfire, lol. The choices for space operas is slim as hell and I want to play one so I'll probably still enjoy it. This gen has been noticably more harsh on games that haven't innovated past last gen features. Sounds like that is the case here, so I'm not surprised by the score. I'll still be playing it at midnight.

The Wart

Or story and quest related aspects isolated from great technical accomplishments due to budgets? For example will it ever be possible to combine say Obsidian's writing & quests in PoE or Tyranny with Horizon's technical achievement?

Re: narrative, I think it has more to do with risk aversion than talent. PoE and Tyranny made idiosyncratic choices with their narratives that some people loved and some people hated. With a AAA budget you can't afford to alienate large market segments, which often leads to falling back on increasingly tired formulas. Space Jesus worked before so why mess with success, who cares if you don't actually have a compelling Space Jesus story to tell.

Of course that still doesn't explain the very low quality of some of the dialogue we've seen in ME:A. Passable dialogue shouldn't require the muses's touch.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
unfortunately, depending on sales, i think the lesson ea could just a easily take from this: 'if we have to spend even more money on this franchise in order to create something 'acceptable', well, screw mass effect!' :) ...

To be fair, they could spend less money by focusing on telling a great story and making the game linear and less expansive. Mass Effect doesn't really need to be some huge, super long open world game. Bioware was at their best with things like KOTOR and the ME triology that gave players some freedom on what order to tackle main story areas but otherwise was pretty linear.

This game also makes me wonder if Bioware will ever learn how to write a second plot. Did they really need to make your character the "Pathfinder?"

It makes me wonder if they hadn't done what they did to themselves with the ending of the trilogy...how long could they have successfully ran with Shepard as the main protagonist and just kept slightly adjusting formula?

I wonder how long people would've just kept eating it up if they had figured out a way to go that route instead of basically forcing themselves out of the Milky Way post trilogy and doing the reboot.

Gator86

Yep, it's a bit silly to talk about Bioware writing quality when they are giving me the impression of not even trying. When are they going to leave 'the chose one' trope once and for all? From hundreds of possible stories, why doe they chose to tell exactly the same?

Yeah, I wonder if this is finally the thing that gets them to stop remaking the same game over and over and actually take a risk trying something new. It just feels predictable and lazy at this point.

Do Nobel Peace Prizes count?

Touche.

I'm with you. It's a really weird thing to give out an award for. I kind of lump a lot of E3 awards in with this sort of thing. "Here's and award for this thing you're making that could turn out to be terrible". It would be like back in '06 Sony getting an award for the CG trailers they made for Killzone 2 and Motorstorm.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly it. It'd be like if I was a food critic, I went into a restaurant, looked at a plate of spaghetti and gave it an award for Most Anticipated Meal.

Obviously I'm "intentionally" being "over-the-top" and "humourous" with this comparison but when you sit down and think about it, the fact that we do this with games and everyone basically rolls with it is pretty weird. I don't know if this practice will stop anytime soon though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
After the early access it was a hard pass for me. Got a full refund on Origin. Was completely let down.

For those jumping in, I hope they mitigate the multiplayer lag issues. That was the main thing preventing me from enjoying what could potentially turn out to be a fun mode.

Memento

You just defined Horizon Zero Dawn. Except for deep RPG mechanics, which Horizon is more streamlined in favor of a fast paced combat.

Audioboxer

More RPG games need to allow you legitimately to play as the baddies. KOTOR was the best at allowing a legitimately story affecting bad playthrough lol.

At least it does something a bit different than the constant hero trope, while still allowing that to exist if you want a run of the mill hero playthrough.

That was Bioware at its best.

Horizon is every bit as impressive as Witcher 3 IMO, and in many ways, moreso. Sure, the RPG mechanics are not deep in Horizon, but I found W3's progression to be pretty bland overall, so it's a wash for me.

100% agree. Horizon was amazing. The story is fantastic and it answers almost all your questions by the end. Loved all my time with and it never felt like a chore. Hell, I rarely fast traveled because the combat was so fun.

You'll have to find me a source for this. I imagine they started doing some early planning in 2012, but it's likely only been in full-scale production for 3 years at most.

I mean, dude that's how game development works. Any game you've heard thats been in development "For 5 years" started that in pre-production with full scale development being shorter. Guerrilla made Horizon in the same time frame, and had to literally change the entire way their studio and engine operated to create an open world RPG. Nintendo put out Zelda in the exact same amount of time.

Again, the ME:A had as much time, or more than almost every modern AAA game dev cycle. Its no ones fault other than the Bioware team themselves if they weren't able to create a product up to franchise standards.

After the early access it was a hard pass for me. Got a full refund on Origin. Was completely let down.

For those jumping in, I hope they mitigate the multiplayer lag issues. That was the main thing preventing me from enjoying what could potentially turn out to be a fun mode.

game is p2p and a higher pool of possibly players will definitely smooth out the experience.

Top Bottom