• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Juan
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:05 PM)
Juan's Avatar
Maps & Settings about the H3A playlist on Halo 5: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/n...irthday-halo-3

LOADOUTS
Spartans will take to the battlefield with a Halo 5 BR w/ Classic Scope as the primary weapon and an Assault Rifle in the secondary slot.

PLAYER SETTINGS
In order to help convey a more classic gameplay feel, the team has adjusted a numbers of settings to make Halo 5 play a bit more like Halo 3 did. Eric "GH057ayame" Hewitt, a designer on Sierra Team who just recently departed 343 to pursue new opportunities, led this effort by combing through the sandbox settings and code for Halo 3, working closely with former Pro Team members, and evaluating several common community-driven "evolved" settings.

Here's the breakdown of the gameplay settings changes that are unique to this playlist:

Motion Tracker range is increased to 25m
All Spartan Abilities are disabled (Sprint, Ground Pound, Spartan Charge, Stabilize, and Clamber)
Player jump height is increased
Slightly increased the effect of gravity on players
Player movement speed decreased
Increased player forward and strafe acceleration
Adjusted shield and health recharge rate to approximate Halo 3 values
Classic Team Oddball: Reduced ball carrier movement speed
Classic Multi-Flag CTF: Reduced flag carrier movement speed

Maps:

Guardian



Snowbound



The Pit



Citadel



Isolation



High Ground



Ghost Town

Juan
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:06 PM)
Juan's Avatar
Sorry for the double post, I thought I was editing the first one and I hit the wrong button.
Samurai G0SU
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:10 PM)
Samurai G0SU's Avatar
all abilities gone. whoa
The Henery
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:21 PM)
The Henery's Avatar
First game was Guardian... CTF. And there were no flags on the map. Also got betrayed for sniper.

First game impression: default H5 BR is far too powerful and easy to four shot with, magnetism is laughable when there's no thrust etc to counteract its ease of use.
Trup1aya
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:29 PM)

Originally Posted by The Henery

First game was Guardian... CTF. And there were no flags on the map. Also got betrayed for sniper.

First game impression: default H5 BR is far too powerful and easy to four shot with, magnetism is laughable when there's no thrust etc to counteract its ease of use.

H5 BR? On maps made to h3 scale w/ no SA's...

Couldn't even make it the test br?

Oh well, it's the thought that counts...

Edit: i should play before i pass judgement, maybe the strafe acceleration will be enough
belushy
Banned
(09-25-2017, 07:45 PM)

Originally Posted by The Henery

First game was Guardian... CTF. And there were no flags on the map. Also got betrayed for sniper.

First game impression: default H5 BR is far too powerful and easy to four shot with, magnetism is laughable when there's no thrust etc to counteract its ease of use.

They messed up the playlist? Big surprise! Lmao
The Henery
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:47 PM)
The Henery's Avatar
Second game: JIP'd into another game of Guardian flag with no flags on the map and therefore cannot be won. Game goes into extra time.

Originally Posted by Trup1aya

H5 BR? On maps made to h3 scale w/ no SA's...

Couldn't even make it the test br?

Oh well, it's the thought that counts...

Edit: i should play before i pass judgement, maybe the strafe acceleration will be enough

The Guardian remake is very accurate on first impressions. It's disappointing that they very obviously invested so much effort into exacting the map geometry, movement settings and jump height but just superimposed untuned H5 weapons into the sandbox. Given they're currently testing modified weapons in H5 proper how hard would it have been to adjust the weapons' behaviour for this list? At the least the test BR should be used.
Garrett 2U
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:51 PM)
Garrett 2U's Avatar

Originally Posted by Juan

Maps & Settings about the H3A playlist on Halo 5: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/n...irthday-halo-3



Maps:

The maps look incredible, I can't wait to try it out
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(09-25-2017, 08:06 PM)
The Forge aesthetic is almost like they're Halo 2 version of Halo 3 maps in a good way, heh
daedalius
Member
(09-25-2017, 08:14 PM)
daedalius's Avatar
H5 BR with no abilities? Might be a bit too good on those maps
Fata1moose
Banned
(09-25-2017, 08:23 PM)
:lol Isolation what a garbage map. Almost as bad as Riptide and Overgrown, almost.. Snowbound and Ghostown are bad maps as well, I'm not knocking the actual forge work, but the selection is highly questionable. Yet Narrows is somehow missing....
Cranster
Banned
(09-25-2017, 08:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Fata1moose

:lol Isolation what a garbage map. Almost as bad as Riptide and Overgrown, almost.. Snowbound and Ghostown are bad maps as well, I'm not knocking the actual forge work, but the selection is highly questionable. Yet Narrows is somehow missing....

Narrows was horrible aswell, though the lack of hitscan and the spawn system made the flaws more obvious.
Fata1moose
Banned
(09-25-2017, 08:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Cranster

Narrows was horrible aswell, though the lack of hitscan and the spawn system made the flaws more obvious.

What? CTF on MLG Narrows is probably my ideal version of Halo 3. Of course everyone is allowed to their opinion.
Juan
Member
(09-25-2017, 08:34 PM)
Juan's Avatar
What's the deal with the recharge rate for the shield? This is terrible.

So far I hate this playlist. Terrible and not fun. Need more time with it, but no fun found here so far.
Fata1moose
Banned
(09-25-2017, 08:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Juan

What's the deal with the recharge rate for the shield? This is terrible.

So far I hate this playlist. Terrible and not fun. Need more time with it, but no fun found here so far.

That sounds a lot like Halo 3 TBH.
BizzyBum
Member
(09-25-2017, 08:43 PM)
BizzyBum's Avatar
I know lots of people hate the weapon test BR but I feel that would have worked way better in the H3 playlist than default BR.

Also not including Narrows and Construct for the maps is a head scratcher as those are two of the most iconic Halo 3 maps.

Originally Posted by Trup1aya

Ok this has NOTHING to do with halo 5,

But this clip simultaneously sold me on fortnight and somehow made me long for that Megablox Halo game.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ResoluteHedonisticCodRaccAttack

Okay, that is amazing. Does Fortnite have any option for first-person? I still think a Halo BR would be incredible, too.
wwm0nkey
Member
(09-25-2017, 08:45 PM)
wwm0nkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by BizzyBum

I know lots of people hate the weapon test BR but I feel that would have worked way better in the H3 playlist than default BR.

Also not including Narrows and Construct for the maps is a head scratcher as those are two of the most iconic Halo 3 maps.



Okay, that is amazing. Does Fortnite have any option for first-person? I still think a Halo BR would be incredible, too.

Halo BR could work the more I think about it, just due to the number of vehicles and how PUBG doesn't really have a big focus on those.
SCHUEY F1
Member
(09-25-2017, 08:46 PM)
SCHUEY F1's Avatar
Played a few matches of the playlist so far and found it pretty fun.
Laws00
Member
(09-25-2017, 09:00 PM)
Laws00's Avatar
damn that takes me back

just need to play on Guardian which was the first mulitplayer map i played on halo online
FATstronaut
Member
(09-25-2017, 09:01 PM)
FATstronaut's Avatar

Originally Posted by Juan

Maps & Settings about the H3A playlist on Halo 5: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/n...irthday-halo-3



Maps:

The maps look great! I keep trying to thruster though lol
Defect
Member
(09-25-2017, 09:11 PM)
Defect's Avatar
Lol they chose Ghost Town.
Sai
Member
(09-25-2017, 09:12 PM)
Sai's Avatar
Team Slayer on The Pit came up first! Would probably feel more authentic if they had the classic scope BR or Halo 2 BR with the random bullet spread they're testing out.

It's good times though. I only wish we had throwback playlists like this closer to the game's launch.
Sordid
Member
(09-25-2017, 09:13 PM)
Sordid's Avatar
Had a game on Snowbound that was rubbish then had a game an Guardian that was good. That's Halo 3! Not looking forward to playing Ghost Town or Isolation, some weird map choices for a celebration of Halo 3.

I think it'd be better with the weapons test BR rather than the super accurate one but it's seems decent after a couple of games.
BizzyBum
Member
(09-25-2017, 09:15 PM)
BizzyBum's Avatar
They picked Ghost Town because it was already in the game as an Infection map and Isolation was probably easy to make in Forge compared to something like Construct or Narrows.
The Henery
Member
(09-25-2017, 09:25 PM)
The Henery's Avatar
The shield regen time must be bugged. I don't have the numbers but I don't think any Halo has made you wait that long to regenerate shields.
Juan
Member
(09-25-2017, 09:39 PM)
Juan's Avatar
I know I can't blame forgers for not giving us developer quality maps, but those maps are terrible looking. Like there are beautiful maps made with the Halo 5 forge that I like, but apart from Guardian, they are really not beautiful at all.

Maybe they had limitations due to framerate, I don't know, but this is hurting my eyes so bad.

Also, I thought they worked really hard to make 1:1 maps? There are ton of jumps which can't be made due to map not having the good scale, or maybe the speed not being high enough, but again, it's hurting how you can navigate through a map you knew for years. And some parts of the maps feel way bigger than what I played in Halo 3 yesterday.

And the spawning system... Am I the only one driven insane by how bad the spawns are and how it works?

What else... Oh yeah, the sandbox. We already knew the existing sandbox would not work with classic settings, the BR is way too powerful at long range, there is way too bullet magnetism with the sniper, the Rocket radius is insanely big, the Needler is like a power weapon available at anytime, seems like the sword has the speed boost enable... They had a tuned playlist using good settings for a throwback to Halo 3, really too bad they are not using it.

It doesn't help the shield regen takes so much time. I don't remember it was that slow in Halo 3, I'm going to verify this right now.

I really want to thanks all the people who put efforts into making this playlist a reality, I don't like it, I don't really have fun, but you guys did a good work overall, and you reminded me I like to have classic Halo settings, running and shooting at anytime.
Welfare
Member
(09-25-2017, 09:45 PM)
Welfare's Avatar
Gotta say, it feels like Halo 3 social all over again. First game and someone on my team was like 1 and 10. Needed to carry but still lost by a few kills.

And wait, how long has Oddball been a gametype in Halo 5?
Trup1aya
Member
(09-25-2017, 09:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Welfare

Gotta say, it feels like Halo 3 social all over again. First game and someone on my team was like 1 and 10. Needed to carry but still lost by a few kills.

And wait, how long has Oddball been a gametype in Halo 5?

Since about Feb 2016 when ball gametypes were added to forge iirc
Cranster
Banned
(09-25-2017, 09:52 PM)
Once again, fuck Isolation!

Also Shields take way too long to respawn and the spawns need work on the maps.
op_ivy
Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
(09-25-2017, 09:54 PM)
op_ivy's Avatar
wait, they just made a nerfed BR, one much more similar to halo 3's, and arent using that in the halo 3 playlist? hmmmm
Welfare
Member
(09-25-2017, 09:55 PM)
Welfare's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trup1aya

Since about Feb 2016 when ball gametypes were added to forge iirc

It was an official game type or it could be made with the ball game type? I only remember Assault from February 2016.
Trup1aya
Member
(09-25-2017, 09:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Welfare

It was an official game type or it could be made with the ball game type? I only remember Assault from February 2016.

It was never official. Its just made with the Ball gametype in forge.
The Henery
Member
(09-25-2017, 09:59 PM)
The Henery's Avatar
Neutral spawns in Pit Slayer. Eww.

Also, Oddball does not work on High Ground. Just had a whole game where the ball was held at the back of a rock at the bottom of the beach. Get cross mapped by laser BRs when trying to travel down there, trench warfare-like war of attrition. Then finally get the ball and do the same back to the other team. Oddball only really works on maps where one can 'play ball' by throwing it off.

If nothing else, the playlist is photocopier accurate in capturing the spirit of Bungie MM gametype decisions circa 2008. Shishka lives.
BizzyBum
Member
(09-25-2017, 10:01 PM)
BizzyBum's Avatar

Originally Posted by op_ivy

wait, they just made a nerfed BR, one much more similar to halo 3's, and arent using that in the halo 3 playlist? hmmmm

Yeah, seems strange but I guess they didn't want to extend any weapon tuning to other playlists. Still, for the H3 maps it would have made way more sense.
FATstronaut
Member
(09-25-2017, 10:02 PM)
FATstronaut's Avatar
Stream is up ya goofs

https://mixer.com/Halo

https://www.twitch.tv/halo
jem0208
Member
(09-25-2017, 10:03 PM)
jem0208's Avatar
Ehhh...

The H3 playlist is okay.

BR is too powerful and shield regen is too slow. Other than that it seems decent. Honestly it's just making me miss thrust and clamber though...
Juan
Member
(09-25-2017, 10:07 PM)
Juan's Avatar
Are no one playing the objective? All the people I've played with doesn't care about scoring the ball and just play the kill...

This is getting even worse than I thought. Yeah, I'm not going back to Halo 5 if they don't apply the tuned settings to all the playlist. And I'm not playing again in the H3 playlist.
jem0208
Member
(09-25-2017, 10:09 PM)
jem0208's Avatar

Originally Posted by Juan

Are no one playing the objective? All the people I've played with doesn't care about scoring the ball and just play the kill...

This is getting even worse than I thought. Yeah, I'm not going back to Halo 5 if they don't apply the tuned settings to all the playlist. And I'm not playing again in the H3 playlist.

Considering you're pretty much the only person I've seen who actually likes the addition of the random spread I think it's unlikely that 343 will be keeping it.
Juan
Member
(09-25-2017, 10:13 PM)
Juan's Avatar

Originally Posted by jem0208

Considering you're pretty much the only person I've seen who actually likes the addition of the random spread I think it's unlikely that 343 will be keeping it.

I don't think they are looking as much at players's reviews as they are looking datas and if their changes help making the game being played the way they want it right now.

But I can be wrong.
jem0208
Member
(09-25-2017, 10:15 PM)
jem0208's Avatar

Originally Posted by Juan

I don't think they are looking as much at players's reviews as they are looking datas and if their changes help making the game being played the way they want it right now.

But I can be wrong.

They're looking at both.

There are other and better ways of achieving what they wanted with the new weapons than adding in random spread.
Juan
Member
(09-25-2017, 10:24 PM)
Juan's Avatar

Originally Posted by jem0208

They're looking at both.

There are other and better ways of achieving what they wanted with the new weapons than adding in random spread.

Without being disrespectful, you think it would work, didn't you consider other ways may have been tested internally and didn't make the cut because, well, they didn't work the way they wanted the game to change?

I see here good ideas, but I highly doubt professional people being paid and working everyday didn't think about your other ways and didn't give them a go to test them against the solutions they are giving us in the tuned playlist.

And tbh, people reviews are important, but most of the people just don't like when something is changing. People reviews may be bad, and they sure are looking at it, but if the data they are collecting during the test show them the weapons are being used like they wanted to, well, people reviews would be less important then this datas (and fact).
YourExWife
Member
(09-25-2017, 10:35 PM)
YourExWife's Avatar

Originally Posted by Juan

Maps & Settings about the H3A playlist on Halo 5:

Halo 5 BR w/ Classic Scope

Originally Posted by Sai

Would probably feel more authentic if they had the classic scope BR

Ummmmmmmm...


Originally Posted by Juan

Without being disrespectful, you think it would work, didn't you consider other ways may have been tested internally and didn't make the cut because, well, they didn't work the way they wanted the game to change?

I see here good ideas, but I highly doubt professional people being paid and working everyday didn't think about your other ways and didn't give them a go to test them against the solutions they are giving us in the tuned playlist.

And tbh, people reviews are important, but most of the people just don't like when something is changing. People reviews may be bad, and they sure are looking at it, but if the data they are collecting during the test show them the weapons are being used like they wanted to, well, people reviews would be less important then this datas (and fact).

I mean, you act as if every other terrible/questionable playlist, gametype, and weapon decision in the history of Halo matchmaking/pvp *wasn't* made by a professional dev. Of course you give folks the benefit of the doubt, but you also can't be naive to think that these issues were fully thought out in every case or that appropriate resources were applied. The h3 playlist launching with broken gametypes and stuff is an obvious recent example.
Prinz Eugn
Member
(09-25-2017, 10:39 PM)
Prinz Eugn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Juan

Without being disrespectful, you think it would work, didn't you consider other ways may have been tested internally and didn't make the cut because, well, they didn't work the way they wanted the game to change?

I see here good ideas, but I highly doubt professional people being paid and working everyday didn't think about your other ways and didn't give them a go to test them against the solutions they are giving us in the tuned playlist.

And tbh, people reviews are important, but most of the people just don't like when something is changing. People reviews may be bad, and they sure are looking at it, but if the data they are collecting during the test show them the weapons are being used like they wanted to, well, people reviews would be less important then this datas (and fact).

Developers make mistakes all the time. Who knows how much time and effort they actually put into the update, or whether a random higher-up with authority but little knowledge thought something was a good idea.

We have seen countless bonkers decisions over the years from Bungie and 343i, assuming blindly that what they came up with is actually an optimal decision is astoundingly naive.
Slightly Live
Dirty tag dodger
(09-25-2017, 10:49 PM)
Slightly Live's Avatar
Forge remakes look pretty good. Settings seems be... not good? Having Flag variant games on maps without flags?

And this this is how they officially celebrate the decade anniversary of one of the best games ever made?

Wish I could at least feign shock.
Juan
Member
(09-25-2017, 10:53 PM)
Juan's Avatar

Originally Posted by YourExWife

I mean, you act as if every other terrible/questionable playlist, gametype, and weapon decision in the history of Halo matchmaking/pvp *wasn't* made by a professional dev. Of course you give folks the benefit of the doubt, but you also can't be naive to think that these issues were fully thought out in every case or that appropriate resources were applied. The h3 playlist launching with broken gametypes and stuff is an obvious recent example.

I'm putting things into context.

Spread wasn't in the game before for the BR, so they had to add new code or creating a whole new tag to put this random spreaded BR, and it's not like it is easier to make a random spread than adding a fixed one.

I'm just evaluating the amount of work needed for a given feature, regarding the cost for another same feature, without the randomness.

Actually, what you consider issues (we're talking about the tuned playlist, I'm not talking about issues like committing suicide with the ball and having +5 in your score lol) may not be issues for other people (like I don't think random spread is an issue).

As you said, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, because I would have some hard times believing people on NeoGaf came up with solutions like reducing RRR, or adding a fixed spread, as quickly as like 10 minutes after testing the playlist, and people at 343 would not have think about this same solution over months.

Or, I can be absolutely wrong, and they may not be able to tweak the RRR, so they added what they could to achieve a similar goal, aka making the BR less powerful at long range, and with limited capabilities, they added the worst feature to achieve their own solution.

But seeing how easy it is to change a weapon with the tools we got with Halo CE (Custom Edition), things like spread & RRR, I still doubt they couldn't have think about those other ways and implementing them if they thought it was better than what they gave us.

Again, not saying the tuned playlist if the perfect solution for anything (even if I like it), but maybe that's the best they could afford and thought would be the best over other ways & solutions (and maybe the datas will confort them into those settings).
Karl2177
Member
(09-25-2017, 11:15 PM)
Karl2177's Avatar
I'm guessing the scripting got screwed up when sending stuff to the matchmaking servers. I believe there was a scripted version of a 1 flag gametype that "worked".
BizzyBum
Member
(09-25-2017, 11:17 PM)
BizzyBum's Avatar
This is what happens when classic Halo returns:


daedalius
Member
(09-25-2017, 11:30 PM)
daedalius's Avatar
Omg that shield regen, it's a bug right?

Default H5 BR is way too strong here, it's like a fast firing laser.

I uh... had more fun playing halo 3 on MCC yesterday.
BizzyBum
Member
(09-25-2017, 11:41 PM)
BizzyBum's Avatar
Yeah, the H5 BR is way too ridiculous with these settings.
Sai
Member
(09-25-2017, 11:43 PM)
Sai's Avatar

Originally Posted by YourExWife

Ummmmmmmm...

Bruh...

"..or Halo 2 BR with the random bullet spread they're testing out"

Thread Tools