• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

hamchan
Member
(09-25-2017, 05:25 PM)
hamchan's Avatar

Originally Posted by oti

I'd definitely watch a longer video of OG Monster Hunter with Jason explaining how it evolved over the years.

You won’t get this video because the rest of the guys there scoff at Jason’s taste like he’s some sort of weirdo for liking Monster Hunter instead of new, recent, AAA easily satisfying game. You know that Patrick or Austin wouldn’t dismiss Jason so quickly.
Zaph
Member
(09-25-2017, 05:27 PM)
Zaph's Avatar

Originally Posted by Antiwhippy

Like honestly, the more I watch X-corps the more I feel like Dan isn't the problem. If anything it would be more fun if Alex and Abby actually adopted his approach more. Not like they should all be heels or whatever but it would be more fun if they add a bit more character to their play.

It's basically a DnD game, and Alex and Abby are like the 2 newbies who keep asking the DM what to do.

Originally Posted by Wunder

that's the secret truth to exquisite corps - watching people play XCOM half decently and bumbling their way through isn't that great

Yup, said this when people started getting bent out of shape with dan - you don't want a straight play-through of XCOM, it's great to play but boring to watch.

Dan's bullshit (as well as the course-correction) and Abby's awful luck on that one mission have been the best parts of the series.
MadLaughter
Member
(09-25-2017, 05:27 PM)
MadLaughter's Avatar
Late as hell, but the bombcast aftershow was pretty solid last week. A few good stories, including learning about the existence of moped gangs.
Sleeping Lesson
Member
(09-25-2017, 05:30 PM)
Sleeping Lesson's Avatar
Can someone recommend a choice track from the Nier Automata soundtrack? I've heard people love it, and there's a gorgeous-looking vinyl release now.
oti
Banned
(09-25-2017, 05:30 PM)

Originally Posted by hamchan

You won’t get this video because the rest of the guys there scoff at Jason’s taste like he’s some sort of weirdo for liking Monster Hunter instead of new, recent, AAA easily satisfying game. You know that Patrick or Austin wouldn’t dismiss Jason so quickly.

We won't get this video because it's too good of an idea. West doesn't like good ideas.
Piston Hyundai
Member
(09-25-2017, 05:31 PM)
Piston Hyundai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zaph

Yup, said this when people started getting bent out of shape with dan - you don't want a straight play-through of XCOM, it's great to play but boring to watch.

Dan's bullshit (as well as the course-correction) and Abby's awful luck on that one mission have been the best parts of the series.

Yep. Without Dan, this series would be nothing but a bunch of "I don't want to tell you what to do, but" and funny intros
tesqui
Member
(09-25-2017, 05:31 PM)
tesqui's Avatar

Originally Posted by KingKong

Yakuza is boring. The people demand Shenmue 2

This is honestly all I want. I hope they're recording in secret.
imBask
Banned
(09-25-2017, 05:33 PM)
we'll get Shenmue 2 when the Shenmue 3 release date will be official so never
Blitzrules240
Banned
(09-25-2017, 05:33 PM)
So is Golf Story seriously coming out before Sunday?

I'd be mightily impressed.
Hasney
Member
(09-25-2017, 05:34 PM)
Hasney's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blitzrules240

So is Golf Story seriously coming out before Sunday?

I'd be mightily impressed.

Pray to golf Jesus
Antiwhippy
the holder of the trombone
(09-25-2017, 05:41 PM)
Antiwhippy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sleeping Lesson

Can someone recommend a choice track from the Nier Automata soundtrack? I've heard people love it, and there's a gorgeous-looking vinyl release now.

Pm'd
Data West
coaches in the WNBA
(09-25-2017, 05:53 PM)
Data West's Avatar
Hey guys


Marvel was actually never good
swimbuff
Member
(09-25-2017, 05:53 PM)
swimbuff's Avatar

Originally Posted by Human Trashcan

That was such a bizarre thing, I was shocked to learn it was a new addition. Really, really awful padding right off the bat.

"How can we add new things to our remake that doesn't betray its roots back when we made it for the PS2?"

"I have an idea."
Fevaweva
Member
(09-25-2017, 05:56 PM)
Fevaweva's Avatar

Originally Posted by oti

We won't get this video because it's too good of an idea. West doesn't like good ideas.

I hope they do this when they hire another video producer. I'd watch it.
MadLaughter
Member
(09-25-2017, 05:57 PM)
MadLaughter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Data West

Hey guys


Marvel was actually never good

I'm not enough of a fighting games player to speak on how good it plays, but it at least used to look good.
Hindl
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:02 PM)
Hindl's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blitzrules240

So is Golf Story seriously coming out before Sunday?

I'd be mightily impressed.

Shit I hope so. It'll probably be quietly delayed like other Switch indies though
Spirit of Jazz
Banned
(09-25-2017, 06:03 PM)
Spirit of Jazz's Avatar

Originally Posted by MadLaughter

I'm not enough of a fighting games player to speak on how good it plays, but it at least used to look good.

It's still a great game to play especially when you compare it to how laughably bad Injustice 2 is. The issue is the value proposal for MVC:I is terrible because Capcom is greedy as fuck.
daveo42
Banned
(09-25-2017, 06:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Sleeping Lesson

Can someone recommend a choice track from the Nier Automata soundtrack? I've heard people love it, and there's a gorgeous-looking vinyl release now.

Thanks for this. Picking up that Box Set vinyl now.
Sleeping Lesson
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:06 PM)
Sleeping Lesson's Avatar

Originally Posted by Antiwhippy

Pm'd

Thanks again. It's not what I expected! In a good way, though.

Originally Posted by daveo42

Thanks for this. Picking up that Box Set vinyl now.

Yep it's a pretty awesome set.
Valtýr
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:11 PM)
Valtýr's Avatar
I preordered the N:Automata set.
BTA
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:11 PM)
BTA's Avatar
...I don't have a record player nor have I played Automata yet, but I love Nier's music enough that this could push me to start down the dark path of buying vinyls for games I like (and therefore regretting all those I've missed so far).

Gonna check the tracklist for Gestalt now, but is Automata's selection good enough to blind buy the box set?
Harpuia
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:12 PM)
Harpuia's Avatar

Originally Posted by hamchan

You won’t get this video because the rest of the guys there scoff at Jason’s taste like he’s some sort of weirdo for liking Monster Hunter instead of new, recent, AAA easily satisfying game. You know that Patrick or Austin wouldn’t dismiss Jason so quickly.

Monster Hunter is basically Destiny 2 but with Dinosaurs. Every monster encounter is basically a raid! I'm surprised Brad isn't on board. Hell even Drew gave it a chance at one point. I guess they'll play boring shoot-them-up games for the rest of eternity...
ThanksVision
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:13 PM)
ThanksVision's Avatar
I’m only like 6 hours into nier but the ost is the best part. Hoping the combat evolves and the long stretches of running drop. But yeah I could listen to the soundtrack for 40 hours I think
BreezyLimbo
Banned
(09-25-2017, 06:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Valtýr

I preordered the N:Automata set.

The what now?
BTA
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:17 PM)
BTA's Avatar

Originally Posted by BreezyLimbo

The what now?

Vinyl box set for both games.
AuthenticM
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:24 PM)
AuthenticM's Avatar
Looking forward to the Kiwami playthrough.
Teddified
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:26 PM)
Teddified's Avatar
They keep calling Dave, Dan. Dan's ploy worked I guess :/
Harpuia
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:26 PM)
Harpuia's Avatar
Hoo boy XCOM does the same thing XCOM 2 does w/ taking too long with capturing an outsider/skull mining an advent soldier. It get progressively harder to actually accomplish because harder units start appearing.

I put off skull mining the soldier/codex until Andromedons and Archons started appearing. That made my game unnecessarily harder.
BreezyLimbo
Banned
(09-25-2017, 06:31 PM)

Originally Posted by BTA

Vinyl box set for both games.

Oooh how quaint.
Wunder
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:34 PM)
Wunder's Avatar

Originally Posted by Harpuia

Hoo boy XCOM does the same thing XCOM 2 does w/ taking too long with capturing an outsider/skull mining an advent soldier. It get progressively harder to actually accomplish because harder units start appearing.

I put off skull mining the soldier/codex until Andromedons and Archons started appearing. That made my game unnecessarily harder.

it was difficult in the first game because once you get laser weapons it gets hard to weaken the Outsider without outright killing him on lower difficulties. I remember having to equip my dudes with a normal pistol and trying to get him down and close enough to use the arc thrower. Lost a couple soldiers that way
Teddified
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:36 PM)
Teddified's Avatar
lol I love that they build the MEC center and never actually go into the option or even think about it after the facility was built.
Data West
coaches in the WNBA
(09-25-2017, 06:49 PM)
Data West's Avatar
I'm really glad Alex likes one of my favorite series now

Yakuza, warts and all, still gives me the best characters in gaming since the troika days
LurkerPrime
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:51 PM)
LurkerPrime's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teddified

lol I love that they build the MEC center and never actually go into the option or even think about it after the facility was built.

XCORPS has major focus problems, which is part of the feature, I suppose. They're very low on soldiers, their existing soldiers are underequipped, their soldiers' abilities are constantly misunderstood, XCOM is bankrupt, their satellites have poor/nonexistant protection, and their facility layout/priorities are concerning. A lot of their decisions will haunt them later (e.g. they're already feeling the resource crunch) and will only serve to make things more difficult as they continue.

Like, in the short-term they're doing great, in battles and such, but I worry for them long-term. Any setbacks will be potentially fatal to their operations, and there's (once again) some very tough missions ahead.

It could all lead to a death spiral so easily.
LiK
(09-25-2017, 06:52 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Spirit of Jazz

Where is said monologue?

Recent Beastcast Corrections segment
MadLaughter
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:53 PM)
MadLaughter's Avatar
Was a bit jarring to have the NBA 2K18 quick look go right into the national anthem the second I clicked away from the newer anthem topic in OT.

Good QL though, Vinny's laugh gives me life, and after this QL, I'm immortal.
Wunder
Member
(09-25-2017, 06:58 PM)
Wunder's Avatar

Originally Posted by LurkerPrime

XCORPS has major focus problems, which is part of the feature, I suppose. They're very low on soldiers, their existing soldiers are underequipped, their soldiers' abilities are constantly misunderstood, XCOM is bankrupt, their satellites have poor/nonexistant protection, and their facility layout/priorities are concerning. A lot of their decisions will haunt them later (e.g. they're already feeling the resource crunch) and will only serve to make things more difficult as they continue.

Like, in the short-term they're doing great, in battles and such, but I worry for them long-term. Any setbacks will be potentially fatal to their operations, and there's (once again) some very tough missions ahead.

It could all lead to a death spiral so easily.

Yeah especially if they keep losing rookies and can't build up a second squad, any losses they take will be felt way more
BTA
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:00 PM)
BTA's Avatar
I went for the vinyl set. Looking into cheap-ish players now. Considering grabbing Journey and P5's soundtracks as well since I would actually listen to those. Sorta happy P5's full soundtrack sold out because the selected version's super expensive as is and has the tracks I'd listen to already.

I can totally afford this but it still feels like an irresponsible dark path! Though it's probably a logical extension of me being weird and buying physical CDs even though I just rip them and have them sit on a shelf anyway; a lot of that started with JP exclusive soundtracks but then...

and also just reminds me I need to buy regular copies of Nier/P5's soundtracks anyway + those Nier remix albums at some point

Originally Posted by Harpuia

Hoo boy XCOM does the same thing XCOM 2 does w/ taking too long with capturing an outsider/skull mining an advent soldier. It get progressively harder to actually accomplish because harder units start appearing.

I put off skull mining the soldier/codex until Andromedons and Archons started appearing. That made my game unnecessarily harder.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but based on what I looked up a few weeks ago- Dan could have captured them without the containment room, right? If only they knew that...

Originally Posted by LurkerPrime

XCORPS has major focus problems, which is part of the feature, I suppose. They're very low on soldiers, their existing soldiers are underequipped, their soldiers' abilities are constantly misunderstood, XCOM is bankrupt, their satellites have poor/nonexistant protection, and their facility layout/priorities are concerning. A lot of their decisions will haunt them later (e.g. they're already feeling the resource crunch) and will only serve to make things more difficult as they continue.

Like, in the short-term they're doing great, in battles and such, but I worry for them long-term. Any setbacks will be potentially fatal to their operations, and there's (once again) some very tough missions ahead.

It could all lead to a death spiral so easily.

As someone with no experience with the game it's sorta hard to take the low soldier warning seriously given how everyone's alive and well, but... too many people get injured or worse and they're screwed, right? Particularly because having a full squad just opens another soldier up to harm if things go real bad.

It was kinda hard to watch them completely ignore the augment button multiple times.
VeryGooster
Banned
(09-25-2017, 07:00 PM)
VeryGooster's Avatar

Originally Posted by MadLaughter

Was a bit jarring to have the NBA 2K18 quick look go right into the national anthem the second I clicked away from the newer anthem topic in OT.

Good QL though, Vinny's laugh gives me life, and after this QL, I'm immortal.

I dunno how boring the gameplay would get for non-sports people but between Madden Night Lights and NBA's MyCareer I would absolutely watch Beast go through an entire series of that stuff.
Harpuia
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:01 PM)
Harpuia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teddified

lol I love that they build the MEC center and never actually go into the option or even think about it after the facility was built.

The general confusion on what things do is a little weird. I almost had an anxiety attack when they were about to go into the mission without equipping their soldiers with carpace armor. Just, read the wiki or the manual (I'm not sure if an official manual exists for XCOM...)!
BTA
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:06 PM)
BTA's Avatar
I should say regarding Vinny being overly involved... I think it was a little much here but it wasn't a super tense mission anyway.

I think him making that cheatsheet (which they've needed for a while) and serving as a reference point rather than such a direct advisor is probably the best way to go about things.

EDIT: Yeah it would probably be better if he would read the wiki or something to know quirks of how things work (like not needing containment for that story mission capture) that wouldn't be obvious, and so on.
freetacos
Junior Member
(09-25-2017, 07:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Wunder

Yeah especially if they keep losing rookies and can't build up a second squad, any losses they take will be felt way more

Didn't they just promote 2 rookies in this latest XCORPS?

Originally Posted by BTA

I went for the vinyl set. Looking into cheap-ish players now. Considering grabbing Journey and P5's soundtracks as well since I would actually listen to those. Sorta happy P5's full soundtrack sold out because the selected version's super expensive as is and has the tracks I'd listen to already.

I can totally afford this but it still feels like an irresponsible dark path! Though it's probably a logical extension of me being weird and buying physical CDs even though I just rip them and have them sit on a shelf anyway; a lot of that started with JP exclusive soundtracks but then...

and also just reminds me I need to buy regular copies of Nier/P5's soundtracks anyway + those Nier remix albums at some point



Correct me if I'm wrong, but based on what I looked up a few weeks ago- Dan could have captured them without the containment room, right? If only they knew that...



As someone with no experience with the game it's sorta hard to take the low soldier warning seriously given how everyone's alive and well, but... too many people get injured or worse and they're screwed, right? Particularly because having a full squad just opens another soldier up to harm if things go real bad.

It was kinda hard to watch them completely ignore the augment button multiple times.

I've had this player for years, and it's worked great:

https://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-L...p/B008872SIO/r
PurpleMoustache
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:07 PM)
PurpleMoustache's Avatar

Originally Posted by BTA

Vinyl box set for both games.

Picked the set up despite really only wanting Automata, as that's the only one that I've played. But hearing all the praise for the original, I figured I'd pick it up so I can know the tunes going into the inevitable remake of the original.

Originally Posted by freetacos


I've had this player for years, and it's worked great:

https://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-L...p/B008872SIO/r

If you are interested in vinyl, this isn't a bad table, but a lot of people have concerns with it's nonadjustable tonearm weight pressing down on records, a trend seen in lots of cheap turntables (Crosley, Jensen, ION, etc). If you are thinking that you might get passonate into record collecting, I HIGHLY recommend either a vintage table from your local record shop (look around, you'll be surprised how many there are) or the step up from the LP-60, the LP-120, or even a U-Turn. Yes, it's a drastic price jump up, and yes, you'll need more hardware to get the audio out to speakers (preamps and amps are a different story, and a whole different post), but the sound quality, and the peace of mind that it's treating your records well is well worth it
freetacos
Junior Member
(09-25-2017, 07:19 PM)

Originally Posted by PurpleMoustache

Picked the set up despite really only wanting Automata, as that's the only one that I've played. But hearing all the praise for the original, I figured I'd pick it up so I can know the tunes going into the inevitable remake of the original.



If you are interested in vinyl, this isn't a bad table, but a lot of people have concerns with it's nonadjustable tonearm weight pressing down on records, a trend seen in lots of cheap turntables (Crosley, Jensen, ION, etc). If you are thinking that you might get passonate into record collecting, I HIGHLY recommend either a vintage table from your local record shop (look around, you'll be surprised how many there are) or the step up from the LP-60, the LP-120, or even a U-Turn. Yes, it's a drastic price jump up, and yes, you'll need more hardware to get the audio out to speakers (preamps and amps are a different story, and a whole different post), but the sound quality, and the peace of mind that it's treating your records well is well worth it

Thanks for the info. I may look into getting a U-Turn since I've had the LP-60 for a while now
Valtýr
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:19 PM)
Valtýr's Avatar
I have the AT-LP120 and it's great.
ThanksVision
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:23 PM)
ThanksVision's Avatar
SL-1200 off eBay is the ideal route. I donated all my vinyl last year but the nier ost is worth picking up if u subscribe to vinyl for sure. Best ost I have heard in some time in that I actually listen to it outside of the game!
patapuf
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:30 PM)
patapuf's Avatar

Originally Posted by LurkerPrime

XCORPS has major focus problems, which is part of the feature, I suppose. They're very low on soldiers, their existing soldiers are underequipped, their soldiers' abilities are constantly misunderstood, XCOM is bankrupt, their satellites have poor/nonexistant protection, and their facility layout/priorities are concerning. A lot of their decisions will haunt them later (e.g. they're already feeling the resource crunch) and will only serve to make things more difficult as they continue.

Like, in the short-term they're doing great, in battles and such, but I worry for them long-term. Any setbacks will be potentially fatal to their operations, and there's (once again) some very tough missions ahead.

It could all lead to a death spiral so easily.

It could but they've improved their play a lot, i'm optimistic they'll make it at least to the base invasion. that one's hard for anyone.

They still have all countries, which considering their start, is a minor miracle. They are not playing or building optimally but if their current play continues, it'll be fine.
Wunder
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:30 PM)
Wunder's Avatar

Originally Posted by freetacos

Didn't they just promote 2 rookies in this latest XCORPS

Was mainly referring to previous episodes where they lost "Dan Ryckert" and Brad, hadn't had the chance to watch this latest one.

Someone needs to send Vinny a cheat sheet of what actions are free and what are turn ending. Reloading your gun always ends your turn so you wanna take a move and then reload. I don't believe any class can shoot and then move in XCOM 1 and objectives like Meld and that transponder stuff are usually a free action, but can't be done after a dash.

Most of this gets cleared up in XCOM 2 where you can kind of just choose what you want to do and when
patapuf
Member
(09-25-2017, 07:34 PM)
patapuf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wunder

Was mainly referring to previous episodes where they lost "Dan Ryckert" and Brad, hadn't had the chance to watch this latest one.

Someone needs to send Vinny a cheat sheet of what actions are free and what are turn ending. Reloading your gun always ends your turn so you wanna take a move and then reload. I don't believe any class can shoot and then move in XCOM 1 and objectives like Meld and that transponder stuff are usually a free action, but can't be done after a dash.

Most of this gets cleared up in XCOM 2 where you can kind of just choose what you want to do and when

The heavy does and iirc they picked that skill on one of their heavies (the one that doesn't have Holo targeting).
Hot Coldman
Banned
(09-25-2017, 07:37 PM)
Hot Coldman's Avatar
what is the best in-game duder-controlled death in Giant Bomb history

I nominate getting shot to death by the old woman in SWAT
Archaix
Drunky McMurder
(09-25-2017, 07:43 PM)
Archaix's Avatar
This ex-corps base management is something else. Let's sell this limited resource along with double the time and money to build, demolish, and rebuild things constantly in the name of efficiency.

Originally Posted by Hot Coldman

what is the best in-game duder-controlled death in Giant Bomb history

I nominate getting shot to death by the old woman in SWAT


edit: Apparently I completely misremembered my favorite one and I'm getting old. More research needed.

Thread Tools