• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

baconcow
(09-17-2017, 04:52 AM)

Originally Posted by awp69

I picked this up recently when it was on sale but have no clue what I’m doing. Tried to read some of the manual but didn’t help much. I’m more of a learn by doing person and wish it had a tutorial. Seems like it could be good.

Did you read up stuff on their website that I linked? Here is a link of their PDF game manual. I'm not far in, myself, so I am still going through this manual.
Last edited by baconcow; 09-17-2017 at 05:19 AM.
killercow
(09-17-2017, 08:56 AM)

Originally Posted by colinp

Awesome, thanks!

Also, I was able to update while being signed in to another ID. Just had to put in the password for that ID, but it didnít switch the store or anything. Makes ios 11 my favorite upgrade. Nicely done Apple!

So the way it worked before is pretty similar: if the app that was soft launched becomes available in your country, you automatically see every update for every app even those downloaded with a different Apple ID!

Now if you switch to Australia for example and a game that you got through New Zealand is available, you'll also see the update for that app without being signed it. This is the way it works right now even before iOS 11.

Now if the game isn't available still in your country that's interesting but it'd mean a pretty big change in how Apple handles app distribution.
colinp
(09-17-2017, 01:01 PM)

Originally Posted by killercow

So the way it worked before is pretty similar: if the app that was soft launched becomes available in your country, you automatically see every update for every app even those downloaded with a different Apple ID!

Now if you switch to Australia for example and a game that you got through New Zealand is available, you'll also see the update for that app without being signed it. This is the way it works right now even before iOS 11.

Now if the game isn't available still in your country that's interesting but it'd mean a pretty big change in how Apple handles app distribution.

Yep, I have my main US App Store account that Iím usually signed in to and a Japanese account. Iíve got two Japanese apps not available on the US Store that I was able to update without signing out of the US acct and instead just supplying my jp account password.

Game changer!
butzopower
proud of his butz
(09-17-2017, 06:30 PM)

Originally Posted by More_Badass

It's $7.99 on Steam

Ah shit, my bad, I saw a screenshot that looked like the usual daily quest system in Hearthstone or Faeria and must have made the wrong jump in my head.

Has anyone played it yet? Curious how the multiplayer is.
jon bones
Banned
(09-17-2017, 07:15 PM)
anyone know how i can get arena of valor in us app store?
killercow
(09-17-2017, 07:40 PM)

Yep, I have my main US App Store account that Iím usually signed in to and a Japanese account. Iíve got two Japanese apps not available on the US Store that I was able to update without signing out of the US acct and instead just supplying my jp account password.

Game changer!

Holy cow! That's going to be very handy indeed. I've got more than 8 different IDs to go through and it can be quite a pain for updates!
TheSecondSpitter
(09-17-2017, 11:27 PM)

Originally Posted by jon bones

kill XCOM a month before iPhone 8

only make best games like Darkest Dungeon on tablet

what will justify the i8? Planescape Torment maybe?

What's up with XCOM? I'm thinking of buying it.
jon bones
Banned
(09-17-2017, 11:39 PM)

Originally Posted by TheSecondSpitter

If it runs well on modern iPhones, it is likely the best game on the platform

extremely satisfying tactical combat, addictive base building metagame, full featured game with 0 microtransactions

GOAT app
TheSecondSpitter
(09-17-2017, 11:50 PM)

Originally Posted by jon bones

If it runs well on modern iPhones, it is likely the best game on the platform

extremely satisfying tactical combat, addictive base building metagame, full featured game with 0 microtransactions

GOAT app

What about iPad 2017?
hardcastlemccormick
(09-18-2017, 12:01 AM)

Currently it's not 64 bit so the game will not run in iOS 11 (which launches Tuesday).

They might update it soon.

Edit: yeah it would run great on all of the recent iPads.
Last edited by hardcastlemccormick; 09-18-2017 at 12:04 AM.
M*A*S*H
(09-18-2017, 04:56 AM)

I just finished playing xcom on the iPad yesterday and honestly I would play it anywhere else if the option is available to you. There are numerous irritating omissions: missing cutscenes (autopsy, interrogations, research), neither of the dlc side missions are present and limited soldier customisation.
By far my biggest problem though was the camera. I spent more time fighting it than the aliens. Excruciatingly slow scroll speed compounded by a lack of inertia, zoom level resets when switching soldiers making the claustrophobic default intolerable and negotiating between interiors and exteriors is unbelievably more aggravating than on pc.
You would be far better off getting invisible inc instead. It's cheaper, it runs on ios11 and it's a flawless blend of stealth, hacking and turn based strategy married to a timeless aesthetic.
awp69
(09-18-2017, 01:50 PM)
Eucildean Lands got its AR update. Itís kind of cool but honestly not very practical, especially in this type of game. The thing is instead of being able to rotate the entire cube to plan out your moves, you have to move your entire phone/body to see around the cube.

Like I said, itís cool at first but I would never play the entire game like that. Itís also not lke a game where you would see troops or characters actually ON the ground or a surface.

Not sure this was the best game to use the technology for.

Saucycarpdog
(09-18-2017, 09:46 PM)
Thimbleweed Park by Terrible Toybox, Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thim...228969539?mt=8
TheSecondSpitter
(09-18-2017, 10:48 PM)
Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll stick with PC version for now
Fleet_of_Foot
(09-18-2017, 10:59 PM)
I wish I'd realized what Iron Marines was before I bought it. I wanted a sci-fi Kingdom Rush. This is a lot more RTS and I'm not into it, on a phone at least.
HotHamBoy
(09-18-2017, 11:03 PM)

Originally Posted by M*A*S*H

I just finished playing xcom on the iPad yesterday and honestly I would play it anywhere else if the option is available to you. There are numerous irritating omissions: missing cutscenes (autopsy, interrogations, research), neither of the dlc side missions are present and limited soldier customisation.
By far my biggest problem though was the camera. I spent more time fighting it than the aliens. Excruciatingly slow scroll speed compounded by a lack of inertia, zoom level resets when switching soldiers making the claustrophobic default intolerable and negotiating between interiors and exteriors is unbelievably more aggravating than on pc.
You would be far better off getting invisible inc instead. It's cheaper, it runs on ios11 and it's a flawless blend of stealth, hacking and turn based strategy married to a timeless aesthetic.

Still better than the Vita version...
awp69
(09-18-2017, 11:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Saucycarpdog

Would like to get this but just canít afford it right now.
heringer
(09-19-2017, 12:15 AM)
Finally got Cat Quest. Purrrty pawsome (sorry)! Adorable, pretty, polished and fun to play. It's not going to win any awards, but it's a pretty enjoyable title. Really liked the little I played of Iron Marines too.
awp69
(09-19-2017, 12:46 AM)
Wonder if weíll see any surprise releases tomorrow with iOS 11?
Saucycarpdog
(09-19-2017, 12:51 AM)

Has that ever happened before?
awp69
(09-19-2017, 12:57 AM)

Has that ever happened before?

Sometimes there are surprise releases during the Apple pressser. That didnít happen this year so Iíd love to see it on the day of the iOS release.

Probably will be some new AR apps regardless. Weíll see.
More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(09-19-2017, 12:59 AM)

This is really good, and plays very well on touch

And it's quite charming and humorous already
hardcastlemccormick
(09-19-2017, 01:11 AM)

It would be smart for when folks are checking out the new App Store.
Saucycarpdog
(09-19-2017, 01:34 AM)

Originally Posted by hardcastlemccormick

It would be smart for when folks are checking out the new App Store.

"Wow, a surprise release? That's awesome! Now let me just put the game on my wishlist.........wait."
colinp
(09-19-2017, 11:10 AM)

"Wow, a surprise release? That's awesome! Now let me just put the game on my wishlist.........wait."

Yah I donít get why they got rid of that. I was pleased to find my wishlist still showing on my old OG iPad Mini since itís running an older version of iOS.

Thought I had lost them all after updating my phone to 11.

Also a Thomas the Tank Engine AR App is showing on the App Store today. That must be new right? Since itís got AR... itís kinda neat, I think my son will get a kick out of it in a year or two.

Surely theyíll have other AR apps to show off on release.
heringer
(09-19-2017, 01:54 PM)
Any new good twin stick shooters out there? I'm in the mood for one with fast gameplay and 2D visuals, if possible. My favorite used to be Storm Casters, sadly they never fixed a game breaking bug.
killercow
(09-19-2017, 02:04 PM)

Originally Posted by heringer

Any new good twin stick shooters out there? I'm in the mood for one with fast gameplay and 2D visuals, if possible. My favorite used to be Storm Casters, sadly they never fixed a game breaking bug.

Even in the Ultra version?
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/stor...019875457?mt=8
heringer
(09-19-2017, 02:34 PM)

Even in the Ultra version?
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/stor...019875457?mt=8

Hmm, good question. I think it was the original as it seems they have been updating this Ultra version! I guess I'm getting it, thanks!
PittaGAF
(09-19-2017, 06:17 PM)
The Appocalypse is now.
Pachimari
(09-19-2017, 07:23 PM)
Meh, I'm updating my iPad to iOS 11 right now. Didn't think I would do it but the new features seem nice, and I'm not touching 90% of my games anyway.
killercow
(09-19-2017, 07:26 PM)

Game changer!

Thatís not working for me, not showing up updates for apps not released in my country as usual on iOS11.
PittaGAF
(09-19-2017, 08:12 PM)
Wow, really great iOS update.
Awesome on iPad.

Loving screen recording.
killercow
(09-19-2017, 08:17 PM)

Originally Posted by PittaGAF

Wow, really great iOS update.
Awesome on iPad.

Loving screen recording.

Everythingís really smooth so far yeah, love the new appstore and keyboard and I also love that you can finally move multiple apps at the same time!

Weirdly enough Iím still getting notifications from 32bit apps even though I canít launch them.
More_Badass
(09-19-2017, 08:19 PM)

Everythingís really smooth so far yeah, love the new appstore and keyboard and I also love that you can finally move multiple apps at the same time!

Weirdly enough Iím still getting notifications from 32bit apps even though I canít launch them.

Haven't updated yet, what kind of AppStore changes?

And no more wishlist?
killercow
(09-19-2017, 08:24 PM)

Haven't updated yet, what kind of AppStore changes?

And no more wishlist?

No more wishlist, no more top grossing list, the design is also brand new with more daily curated content and an indie section. You can also get top charts per gamesí category faster. Everythingís just better :)
More_Badass
(09-19-2017, 08:26 PM)

No more wishlist, no more top grossing list, the design is also brand new with more daily curated content and an indie section. You can also get top charts per gamesí category faster. Everythingís just better :)

So your wishlist is gone? Is there any way to transfer it to a different app/save it/etc?
killercow
(09-19-2017, 08:28 PM)

So your wishlist is gone? Is there any way to transfer it to a different app/save it/etc?

Yes! And Nope, better save it via either screenshots or manually through another app (like wishlist +) before upgrading!

I personally used TouchArcadeís app but itís still sending me notifications even though itís 32bits so at least iíll know about sales. This also means that iOS 11 is still running 32bit apps somehow. Interesting.
Last edited by killercow; 09-19-2017 at 08:30 PM.
awp69
(09-19-2017, 08:31 PM)
I was surprised that iOS 11 supports the iPad Mini 2. For some reason, I thought it didnít. Regardless, Iím keeping it on iOS 10.3 for my 32-bit library.

I have really been loving iOS 11 on my iPhone 6S Plus since the beta, however. If you really donít mind losing certain games, itís a no-brainer IMO.
killercow
(09-19-2017, 08:32 PM)
AR mode works surprisingly well on my iPad and is quite impressive on Splitter Critters and the latest game from Nitrome that dropped today:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/flat...6375?l=en&mt=8
kendrid
(09-19-2017, 08:51 PM)
3DTD has AR once you get past level five. The game is a simple tower defense game against chickens.

The AR works amazingly well but having to walk around my room to play was a one time thing. They did an incredible job implementing it but it is easier to use my fingers to turn the map vs walk around.
kendrid
(09-19-2017, 08:58 PM)
Stack also supports AR and it works well. Here I am playing on my cat tree:

awp69
(09-19-2017, 09:19 PM)
AR works well but I still donít see it being of great value in games like Splitter Critters and Euclidean Lands. To me itís just gimmicky and actually a distraction in those games.

Games where characters and other things actually sit on various surfaces are a different story. But blocks with a different background? Nah. I donít know. Maybe itís just me.

Especially in EL because you have to turn your whole body / arms / hands rather than use your fingers to move the cube. Thatís annoying to me at least.
kendrid
(09-19-2017, 09:20 PM)

AR works well but I still donít see it being of great value in games like Splitter Critters and Euclidean Lands. To me itís just gimmicky and actually a distraction in those games.

Games where characters and other things actually sit on various surfaces are a different story. But blocks with a different background? Nah. I donít know. Maybe itís just me.

Stacks is just a sort of cool tech demo IMO. It adds nothing to the actual game. I know my kids will enjoy playing on random surfaces.
colinp
(09-19-2017, 09:36 PM)

Thatís not working for me, not showing up updates for apps not released in my country as usual on iOS11.

Really??? Thatís so bizarre.

killercow
(09-19-2017, 09:44 PM)

Really??? Thatís so bizarre.

Indeed, thatís pretty weird. Maybe you need to use the account first then switch to your regular one? Or it only works for new updates? I guess Iíll experiment a bit with this.

Edit: it doesnít tell you now when youíre switching countries so there might be something there.
Last edited by killercow; 09-19-2017 at 09:48 PM.
colinp
(09-19-2017, 09:49 PM)

Indeed, thatís pretty weird. Maybe you need to use the account first then switch to your regular one? Or it only works for new updates? I guess Iíll experiment a bit with this.

Hmmm, I definitely didnít sign in to the Japanese account first as itís not my main account. I am at a loss as to what I might have done differently. It was the very first updates that came through! Very strange.

Also I could see the English Store when it all updated. So I definitely wasnít connected to the Japanese Store.

Edit: I wonder if it can see Iím connected to a Japanese carrier and allows it because of that...? Thatís all I can figure.
Last edited by colinp; 09-19-2017 at 09:52 PM.
baconcow
(09-19-2017, 09:55 PM)
Well, had an appocalypse fatality. Caylus (board game), which is 64-bit (I have it installed on my iPad Pro 10.5), no longer shows up on my purchase list. The iTunes page for it states that it is not available in my country (Canada). What?! Did Apple accidentally take it down because the last update was April 2015? It runs just fine on my iOS 11 iPad, but I am concerned about losing it in the future.
Last edited by baconcow; 09-19-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Pachimari
(09-19-2017, 10:22 PM)
AppZapper doesnít work anymore, well fuck.
What should I use for getting price reduction notifications?

I also hate the multi-tasking so far in iOS 11. Maybe I need to get used to it but it seems much harder changing apps in split view than ever before.

I formatted my iPad and now I only got Microsoftís Solitaire game and Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic installed. Feels kind of great starting anew.
Last edited by Pachimari; 09-19-2017 at 10:29 PM.
awp69
(09-19-2017, 10:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Pachimari

Which version of AppZapp are you using? AppZapp Notify still works. Iíve been using it all along during the iOS 11 beta.
Rodney McKay
(09-19-2017, 10:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Pachimari

I don't use an app, I just use appshopper.com and turn on email notifications.