• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Vylash
(12-11-2014, 04:52 AM)

Welcome to the Danganronpa Community Thread! Your one stop shop for everything surrounding the sadistic masochism that is being a Danganronpa fan! Here you can discuss the games, light novels, anime, why Ibuki is the best, and anything else.

SPOILER RULES:

Danganronpa is a very story oriented series, and therefore spoilers are a very delicate subject.

Open spoilers of important story elements are not allowed, please mark them accordingly.

Any art depicting spoiler characters or plot points may not be embedded in the thread, link them and mark them as spoilers.

We're all fans here, so let's not ruin the games for anyone. After all, you wouldn't wanna break the rules...

RIGHT?

====================================================

What is Danganronpa?

Danganronpa is a series of (mostly) murder mystery games developed by Spike Chunsoft. The main cast are trapped in certain locations and forced to take part in creuly designed killing games, where the only way to escape is to murder someone and not be caught. Gameplay consists of interacting and bonding with other characters, investigating crime scenes, and deducing who the culprit is using everything at your disposal during class trials.

Games

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Danganronpa takes place at an elite high school called Hope's Peak Academy, which accepts talented "Ultimate" students of the highest caliber in various fields each year. Makoto Naegi, a fairly optimistic but otherwise average student, is selected in a raffle and chosen to enroll into the academy as the "Ultimate Lucky Student". However, when Makoto arrives inside the Academy, he loses consciousness and wakes up locked inside the school, where he meets fourteen other newly picked Ultimate students who are in the same situation as him. It is there that a sadistic, remote-controlled bear named Monokuma appears before them, telling them they will be imprisoned in the academy for the rest of their lives, and that they will be put to death if they violate any of the schools rules. He offers only one way for students to "graduate" from the academy: murder another student and not be identified as the culprit.

This is the first game in the series, and the first place you should start

Amazon
PSN

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

Following a similar premise to the previous game, Danganronpa 2 puts players in control of Hajime Hinata, an amnesiac boy who has just become one of Hope's Peak Academy's 'Ultimate' students, alongside fifteen others. The students find themselves taken to a remote tropical island called Jabberwock by their alleged teacher, a rabbit named Usami, who claims it to be a simple field trip. However, things turn out to be too good to be true as Hope's Peak Academy's notorious principal, Monokuma, announces they are stuck on the island for life unless they can murder another student and get away with it. If the students can determine a murderer in a Class Trial, that culprit is executed, but if they make the wrong assumption, then the killer walks home free whilst everyone else is sentenced to death.

Second game in the series, direct sequel to THH, go here next.

Amazon
PSN

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls

After the horrors have ended at Hope's Peak Academy, society is on the verge of collapse and violent anarchy has engulfed the whole world in despair! Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls is the pre-sequel to the highly popular mystery adventure game Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. Unlike the first two games, players will take on the role of two heroines, Komaru Naegi and Toko Fukawa, as they are thrust into a despair-ridden Towa City with one goal-escape. Komaru Naegi, little sister to Makoto Naegi, has been imprisoned inside a mysterious apartment for over a year. One day, she is rescued by Byakuya Togami of Future Foundation, but the rescue is derailed by a sudden attack of hundreds of Monokumas. Komaru soon discovers that the city has been taken over by a group of children calling themselves the Warriors of Hope. Their leader, Monaca, declares that the city will be the site of a Children's Paradise, and to accomplish this, all the adults will be exterminated. Komaru teams up with Toko Fukawa to try to survive the rampaging Monokumas, escape the crafty Monokuma Kids, and uncover the secrets of the city.

Play this after 2, not before

Amazon

Danganronpa 3

The only thing we really know about this is that it exists.

Other Media

Danganronpa Zero

Danganronpa/Zero is a light novel that serves as a prequel to Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, featuring events prior to the game.

Unfortunately lacking any sort of official release, but easy enough to find online and well worth a read.

Volume 1
Volume 2

Danganronpa: The Animation

A 13 episode anime covering the events of Trigger Happy Havoc. In all honesty it's not very good and is in no way a substitute for playing the actual game, but it's fun enough for what it is, it also sold decently so an adaptation of the second game isn't off of the table.

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4

Danganronpa Kirigiri

A small Light Novel series focusing on Kyoko Kirigiri.

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3

Makoto Naegiís Worst Day Ever

A small booklet that came with volume 1 of the anime, it covers the circumstances behind Makoto getting recruited into Hope's Peak Academy

Danganronpa 1 ・2 Beautiful Days

An upcoming light novel featuring characters from Danganronpa 1 and 2, featuring various short stories that delve into the events of their daily lives.

Preorder

Danganronpa IF

A special Light Novel that serves as a what if story that takes Trigger Happy Havoc down a different path. it's unlocked after completing Goodbye Despair.

And that's all, enjoy your school life!

dakkumauji
(12-11-2014, 04:55 AM)
Obligatory sexy Monokuma post.

I also think there's six or seven volumes of the anime.
ScraftyDevil
Banned
(12-11-2014, 04:59 AM)
First page needs more Gundam.

Zonic
Gives all the fucks
(12-11-2014, 05:10 AM)
*waits patiently for Another Episode to be confirmed for US in order to pre-order the LE*

Just glad I've been able to avoid spoilers for that.
Acid08
Banned
(12-11-2014, 05:10 AM)
LX_Theo
Banned
(12-11-2014, 05:50 AM)
Good to see this go up.
jello44
Chie is the worst waifu
(12-11-2014, 06:06 AM)
Hey hey.

source
PK Gaming
(12-11-2014, 06:09 AM)
Tizoc
(12-11-2014, 06:19 AM)

Originally Posted by PK Gaming

I agree with this image, but knowing Nagito...

"Did that fill you with hope =D"?
lazyproblems
(12-11-2014, 06:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Zonic

*waits patiently for Another Episode to be confirmed for US in order to pre-order the LE*

Just glad I've been able to avoid spoilers for that.

Same. I've been very diligent about avoiding spoilers. I was spoiled for the first game, and while that wasn't horrible, these types of games are always better spoiler free.

Patiently waiting for NISA to announce Another Episode and it's LE. They said no new localization announcements until around February though, so just gotta be a little patient I guess.
Busaiku
(12-11-2014, 06:37 AM)
I thought that's what the spoiler topic was.
Vylash
(12-11-2014, 06:44 AM)

Originally Posted by lazyproblems

Same. I've been very diligent about avoiding spoilers. I was spoiled for the first game, and while that wasn't horrible, these types of games are always better spoiler free.

Patiently waiting for NISA to announce Another Episode and it's LE. They said no new localization announcements until around February though, so just gotta be a little patient I guess.

i think i got spoiled a bit on the wiki, but i should be okay for the most part, youtube isn't safe anymore though
buddha0991
(12-11-2014, 06:45 AM)
sup
lazyproblems
(12-11-2014, 06:57 AM)

Originally Posted by CureVylash

i think i got spoiled a bit on the wiki, but i should be okay for the most part, youtube isn't safe anymore though

Yeah, it was a drag looking up the Danganronpa 2 ost on youtube and then seeing thumbnails for AE videos that may have been spoilery. Clicked away before I really saw anything, but now I'm avoiding all DR videos.
MikeDip
God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
(12-11-2014, 07:02 AM)
Love these! Looking forward to playing more, please bring over that spinoff and 3.

Despair
Moonlight
Banned
(12-11-2014, 08:24 AM)
Holy shit, I didn't even realize this was happening! Subbed.

Not enough Ibuki, though!

ShadowSoldier89
(12-11-2014, 02:19 PM)
sweet, more places for me to express DR opinions that everyone else disagrees with
sackboy2197
(12-11-2014, 04:15 PM)
Hello everyone! I always enjoy these new threads!
Hope we get some interesting info soon enough.
Vylash
(12-11-2014, 04:40 PM)
so i found this, a huge post with links to summaries of tons of stuff, including DR Zero and the Kirigiri LNs
A Huge Battleship
(12-12-2014, 12:12 AM)
Finding this thread is more difficult than half the cases in DR1.

Anyway, posting some Chiaki in a Chiaki thread:

Another month or so and I may have worked up the guts to rewatch her execution.
Caladrius
(12-13-2014, 04:47 AM)
Ah, lovely. Cal reporting in!

It's going to feel weird to start spoiler tagging things again.
Alfredo
(12-13-2014, 10:37 PM)
I made an Asahina alpaca for a Secret Santa gift exchange (for my Persona cosplay group, weirdly enough!).

And if you haven't seen my other Danganronpa alpacas...
Here's Monokuma and Kirigiri
and Gundham!
D-Man
(12-13-2014, 10:58 PM)

Originally Posted by ScraftyDevil

First page needs more Gundam.

The thread in general needs more Gundham. Best character in the series.

ScraftyDevil
Banned
(12-13-2014, 11:36 PM)

Originally Posted by D-Man

The thread in general needs more Gundham. Best character in the series.

Best character is the best.
A Huge Battleship
(12-14-2014, 01:00 PM)
Finally finished going through all 230ish pages of Chiaki fanart on pixiv. Handful of my (non-spoilery) favs:

ScraftyDevil
Banned
(12-14-2014, 08:43 PM)
On this, the 14th of December, year unknown, a great hero was born. A hero whose sacrifice ensured the continued survival of seven others, and who laughed in the face of his own impending doom.

Happy birthday, Gundam Tanaka. What you did in life shall echo in eternity.
Vylash
(12-14-2014, 08:52 PM)
I swear, the DR girls have some of the best fanart ever, except Hiyoko, and rightfully so
dakkumauji
(12-14-2014, 08:53 PM)
Oh good, I was getting lazy in posting this:

Source

Source

Source

Source
Vylash
(12-14-2014, 09:07 PM)
oh hey, it's Gundam day!

source

source

source

source
Wichu
(12-14-2014, 11:20 PM)
Aww yeah.

Seeing as ScraftyDevil hasn't used this avatar for a while, it's up for grabs if anyone wants it :)
LX_Theo
Banned
(12-14-2014, 11:22 PM)
Hmm... This is quickly becoming an art thread, lol.
PInk Tape
Banned
(12-16-2014, 05:24 AM)
Hey guys :)

I found this really cool Persona Q/Danganronpa crossover on YT.
Vylash
(12-16-2014, 06:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Crayjay Lee

that and this

both need to happen, milk it dry Spike Chunsoft
FluxWaveZ
(12-18-2014, 05:10 AM)
A F2P Danganronpa mobile game, huh. Ew. It all makes sense now.

Spike-Chunsoft (Yoshinori Terasawa):

We are currently making proper preparations for the new Danganronpa title.

MiguelMexMIstery
(12-18-2014, 05:11 AM)

Originally Posted by CureVylash

that and this

both need to happen, milk it dry Spike Chunsoft

With the actual art style

Originally Posted by dakkumauji

New Danganronpa game coming out in January. For Mobile

So they're chibi and it features DR1 characters in some kind of battle? huh
LX_Theo
Banned
(12-18-2014, 05:12 AM)
I'm sure they're prepared to give the series proper closure with this release.
Vylash
(12-18-2014, 05:13 AM)
i like mobile games and even i'm really sad
dakkumauji
(12-18-2014, 05:20 AM)
Here's the official site for Danganronpa: Unlimited Battle

It basically looks like a Monster Strike (and all of its play like the same) mobile games and considering I have been playing Monster Strike a lot recently, I'm all over this. If it wasn't ios only right now. :E
PK Gaming
(12-18-2014, 05:48 AM)
Fighting game spinoff please
The Bankslammer
(12-18-2014, 01:08 PM)
yeah i think i'll pass on this one not that i'll get a choice

all the better if it helps fund the series, though, i guess...
Viridian6
(12-18-2014, 03:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Crayjay Lee

Loved it.
Didn't get the fish reference?
Reanimatoin
(12-18-2014, 03:48 PM)
Heyyyy finally a Community thread for this! AWESOME!

The more I hear about AE, the more I want it.

Although, I'm afraid that the genre shift will hurt its localisation prospects :/

Still, if a DR3 comes out, that will almost certainly be localised given how popular the first 2 games have been............ right?
LX_Theo
Banned
(12-18-2014, 04:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Reanimatoin

Heyyyy finally a Community thread for this! AWESOME!

The more I hear about AE, the more I want it.

Although, I'm afraid that the genre shift will hurt its localisation prospects :/

Still, if a DR3 comes out, that will almost certainly be localised given how popular the first 2 games have been............ right?

I'm quite confident that the userbase in the west wouldn't shrink because of the genre shift. Or do you mean from a development standpoint on the localization?
Reanimatoin
(12-18-2014, 05:07 PM)

Originally Posted by LX_Theo

I'm quite confident that the userbase in the west wouldn't shrink because of the genre shift. Or do you mean from a development standpoint on the localization?

I was actually thinking userbase, while I dont think the genre shift will shrink the userbase by much, I just dont see people who are into the VN type games buying a third person shooter with VN aspects and influences.

Whereas I think the Danganronpa fans will buy it because its Danganronpa, I just dont see VN fans making the switch. And third person shooter fans....... well, they probably wont understand anything thats going on.

That's just my opinion though, I could be COMPLETELY wrong on this one!
LX_Theo
Banned
(12-18-2014, 05:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Reanimatoin

I was actually thinking userbase, while I dont think the genre shift will shrink the userbase by much, I just dont see people who are into the VN type games buying a third person shooter with VN aspects and influences.

Whereas I think the Danganronpa fans will buy it because its Danganronpa, I just dont see VN fans making the switch. And third person shooter fans....... well, they probably wont understand anything thats going on.

That's just my opinion though, I could be COMPLETELY wrong on this one!

I personally think that people who like the game like it because of the story. The VN aspects compliment and enable the story well, but as long as we get reports saying that the game's story is up to snuff, we should be fine in terms of userbase size changing.
CielTynave
(12-19-2014, 11:05 AM)
This was completely random, but I saw that Heather Halley is following me on twitter, so I went to wiki to check what roles she had in the games she's voiced and she was credited as a character from Another Episode.

Probably fake or just a really weird mistake but it just seemed so random lol.
Vylash
(12-20-2014, 02:58 AM)

Originally Posted by CielTynave

This was completely random, but I saw that Heather Halley is following me on twitter, so I went to wiki to check what roles she had in the games she's voiced and she was credited as a character from Another Episode.

Probably fake or just a really weird mistake but it just seemed so random lol.

localization confirmed, we did it

also rip LX_Theo
Phantasmal Repose
(12-21-2014, 02:19 AM)
Glad this series finally got it's own thread. Can't wait for Another Episode to be localized.
Please let it be localized.
-Horizon-
(12-22-2014, 02:20 AM)
Playing Dangranronpa 1.

Finished Chapter 2.

Byakuya is a jerkface.

Actually, everyone is kind of a jerk to the protag :/

Except for like Sakura, Aoi, and Chihiro before she kicked the bucket and is now a green floating thing in a locker :o

Fun game though :D