• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift or Vive? I just cant decide

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
small room small space tbh about 10 by 10 foot space to do anything in vr

mhayze

I have both and had them since their respective launches - Vive by a hair for me at this point, but minor things like ergonomics and cost could sway you in the other direction. lighthouses are better to me than the oculus cameras but you need a mounting spot on the wall or tripod to get the benefit. Who knows how things will evolve down the road for each platform too..

As an owner of both:

I had the Vive from launch day. When the Vive was so heavily discounted back in Summer, I sold my Vive to get the Rift mostly because I could get some free games and make a bit of cash on the side.

I'm enjoying the Rift more than the Vive. The headset is lighter and (for me) more comfortable, the controllers feel more intuitive than the Vive's "magic wands" and it's better suited to small spaces. Also, you can get roomscale-ish tracking with two cameras setting them in a diagonal line (you can get pure roomscale if you use at least three cameras)

But both systems are in the same league, so I'd say the Rift is better bang for your buck att.

Anyone know which one is better for wearing glasses?

From what I understand, neither PC solutions are particularly great for glasses. The Rift isn't super comfortable with glasses compared to contacts, but I'm ok with it.

As I've said earlier, at the current price difference, there is zero reason to get Vive over Rift (unless you really hate Luckey, I guess), especially when the current hardware, namely the very important Touch controllers, are much superior to the Vive's implementation.

Rift
More comfortable controllers
Slightly better headset (and much more professional looking as well)
Ability to play most Vive games as well as all Rift games whereas the Vive can only play Vive games
Less expensive

Vive
A larger roomscale experience if you have a large room to set it up properly
A nicer company overall, they don't lock Rift users out of their games and from personal experience an year ago, the Rift had very shitty customer service

You can play Rift games on Vive. Though I have no personal experience with it, ReVive is a simple mod that allows Vive users to play Rift titles relatively hassle free.

Rift
More comfortable controllers
Slightly better headset (and much more professional looking as well)
Ability to play most Vive games as well as all Rift games whereas the Vive can only play Vive games
Less expensive

Vive
A larger roomscale experience if you have a large room to set it up properly
A nicer company overall, they don't lock Rift users out of their games and from personal experience an year ago, the Rift had very shitty customer service
Vive can play Rift games via reVive, no?
And the Rift has a clunkier setup in which each camera needs a USB connection to the PC, versus the Vive Lighthouses, which done.
Vive does better roomscale with only two lighthouses compared to Rift with 2 cameras (three are needed for the Rift to match the Vive.
You’ll get more room out of the same play area with the Vive versus the Rift.

Lort

Banned
Neither wait until new headsets come out. Noone i know still uses VR .. next headsets will be wireless and preferably AR as well. Everything out now will just seem so rediculous with all the wires tying u down.

I'm pretty happy so far, but I would love some recommendations.

Not speaking from a point of objectivity, but the few folks who've played Narcosis seem to enjoy it for the narrative and ambience, and for being more of a "real" game than a lot of the stuff on the VR marketplace (at launch, anyway).

s39SLKHm.png
LiI7vOOm.png

Higher resolutions, easily. It's my biggest detracting factor for VR so far. The resolution on my Rift is good enough to get some very convincing worlds across but so many moments are just ripe for better image quality.

I know wireless is the next big thing for many, and no way am I against it, but I'm skeptical about how well it may be implemented. I just don't want it to be rushed, but I'm also a dumbass on a forum so what do I know.

Better controllers, hopefully. I would easily upgrade my controllers before my HMD, but that also depends how modular the CV1 SDK is. Vive is getting those awesome looking Knuckles controllers, so if that works out, it's only better for the rest of the industry.

Crom

What is the BEST VR experience out there right now? What are the best controllers, gadets ... which one has the best games?

I just cant decide which one to get... help me GAF:(

Rift. It has better games and the touch controllers are nice

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
From what I understand, neither PC solutions are particularly great for glasses. The Rift isn't super comfortable with glasses compared to contacts, but I'm ok with it.

As I've said earlier, at the current price difference, there is zero reason to get Vive over Rift (unless you really hate Luckey, I guess), especially when the current hardware, namely the very important Touch controllers, are much superior to the Vive's implementation.

That's not true though about zero reason, because Vive is due to receives more frequent hardware improvements albeit this mean you have to spend more. For example, Vive is getting wireless module via TPCast now, and the knuckle controller is just around the corner. But honestly both are having extremely great deals. Oculus Rift is packing lots of free softwares but HTC Vive now comes with a free Fallout 4 VR.

I'll just hope the deluxe headstrap is a standard pack in soon though

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What improvements can we expect on second gen devices?

I think we should expect just general quality of life upgrades (better tracking, lighter weight, better form factor) cheaper price and finger tracking.

Dont think we will have wireless as TPcast cost several hundred dollars at the moment and still have some issues to iron out, unless gen 2 is in late 2019

LG upcoming SteamVR headset doesnt look like it has any significant feature improvement like eye tracking or wireless

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
What res will vr need to be to be where screendoor is eliminated and overall all clarity is on par with 4k content on a 4k tv?

Will there need to be two 8k screen?

VAD

I bought Rift + Touch this summer with the discount and am mostly satisfied. The controllers are very comfortable to use. The caveat is that you need at least 3 usb 3.0 ports that are fortunate enough to work with the system, I had to buy a specific usb 3 controller card following Oculus recommandations because my previous one wasn’t simply not compatible. That’s why I would recommend to wait and see what Windows Mixed Reality can offer, they have simplified connections and do not require external sensors. I’m not sure their controllers are better than the Touch though.

That’s not true though about zero reason, because Vive is due to receives more frequent hardware improvements albeit this mean you have to spend more. For example, Vive is getting wireless module via TPCast now, and the knuckle controller is just around the corner. But honestly both are having extremely great deals. Oculus Rift is packing lots of free softwares but HTC Vive now comes with a free Fallout 4 VR.

I’ll just hope the deluxe headstrap is a standard pack in soon though
TPCast is another $150 (and coming to Rift), Knuckles is more money (and we don't have any idea how the implementation is going to be), and Fallout 4 isn't out yet, plus may not even be a good port for what we know. The Rift bundles at least one excellent game in Robo Recall and even adding another camera for room scale is cheaper than the default Vive.

I'm not arguing with you, as we actually seem to be on the same page. It's just as you said, you're spending $200 more on the Vive to be able to spend more money on other unproven parts down the line.

Anustart

I'm about to order as well and was in a toss up between the two. I think with the Black Friday deal of having the deluxe audio strap come with it will be what I get, though I'm worried because all I read about is the vive track pads going out all the time.

Ecto311

I did a few weeks research and got the Rift myself. We love it even my kid has a good time with it. The price along with the spec sheets showing the direct comparisons was enough for me to get it. Plus being able to do 360deg room scale with 2 cams is awesome. The controller feels like magic. How it can sense how you move your pointer finger or thumbs without pushing anything is completely nuts. I think First Contact should be everyone's first VR experience or one of the first for sure. It works so well we have played it a few times since we got the thing. Waltz of the Wizard and Robo Recall have got a lot of play time too.

I wouldn't get TheBlu though. Ocean Rift is a lot better because TheBlu does nothing you just watch but Ocean rift is great to swim around in and learn about different creatures.

I kept hearing good things about Google Earth in VR and I was disappointed. It is ok but not the amazing experience everyone makes it out to be.

Vive's tracking quality is quite a bit better than Rift

Not according to some devs. The Eleven: Table Tennis VR Tournament was just completed. It featured top competitors from around the world. To be competitive in this game at the highest level requires a large play space and extremely accurate tracking of the fast moving rackets. The amount of technical skill as well as physical stamina involved during the finals in this tournament was incredible. Both the finalist were using Rifts!

According to the Devs, the Rift offered an advantage in tracking:

"Rift is better on fast swings. Whether it's the math they use, or the tech they use, rift doesn't drift on high acceleration"

I know a lot of people think that the Vive has better tracking, while it might have a larger tracking volume, the Rift is more accurate at high speeds and has a very good tracking volume with three sensors.

Spukc

TPCast is another $150 (and coming to Rift), Knuckles is more money (and we don't have any idea how the implementation is going to be), and Fallout 4 isn't out yet, plus may not even be a good port for what we know. The Rift bundles at least one excellent game in Robo Recall and even adding another camera for room scale is cheaper than the default Vive.

I'm not arguing with you, as we actually seem to be on the same page. It's just as you said, you're spending $200 more on the Vive to be able to spend more money on other unproven parts down the line.

I got the rift.
Read into the so called gen 2 and was dissapointed.
You also need to drive those so called extra pixels at 90hz.

I like the tech for what it is and do not really care for a gen 2 atm.
Wireless is a pipedream as wired is just way way cheaper and easier. No even talking about lag. And added weight. Dont even think about driving those same gfx without a pc xD

Once set up 3 sensors the whole tracking is amazing.
Weight is an huge issue for vr.
And the oculus is just light enough to not be annoying.

I also got 10 games with my rift what an amazing deal.
Robo recall is unreal (the same jump in gaming as mario 64 imo)

As an artist drawing in 3dspace for the first was mindblowing. I have spend hours in vr.

Project cars is pretty cool
And so is serious sam 3 vr.

I guess my next game will be doom/skyrim/fallout4.
(Still waiting for that stupid support)
But first i am going to try some gamecube wii games modded for vr. The vr modding community is amazing.

I am really glad i got vr for a normal price.

Spukc

Pulled an ass muscle playing robo recall, game is a lot of fun. Enjoy your rift.
Yeah really felt my legs after 1 hour game is intensive.
Love picking a robot using it as a shield and blasting my shotgun.
Superhot is john wick simulator 2017

Elhandro

THE GAF COLLECTIVE is so out of touch on VR. THE WMR headsets are legit. They work with both steam VR abd ReVive plus you get the added benefit of full integration with windows 10. The tracking is on PAR with RIFT and a little less the Vive in certain use cases. BUT the resolution bump is fantastic and easily the quickest option to set up. Very little downside to this option and prices of headsets are way better than both the oculus and vive.

If you guys have any questions get at me. I have been following the scene for the past year and I just jumped in so maybe I am biased but I have casually tried the other options and I think this is a really good buy.

keraj37

Rift:
+ Package of entire set is much much smaller then Vive, making it much more mobile - when you want to bring to work place for instance like recently in my case
+ Lighter
+ Much less cables - basically you plug the sensor(s) (USB) and the headset (USB + HDMI). Thats it - I remember for Vive there was much more devices, cables etc. Not to mention that you had to have sort of stands for bases.
+ Much more space inside headset - I am easily putting Oculus with my glasses on, while for Vice I had to take them of, and barely push them inside the headset - very often Glasses where squeezed that much that glass fell off the frames.
+ I had Vive like 6 months ago, but my memories are telling me that field of view was smaller, so my guess is that Oculus covers more view - especially vertically.
- I hate that there is no option to remove headphones, as I prefer to use my much greater quality headphones, so I need to bend them drastically so to be able to put mine.]
edit: I just removed headphones, so forget about last point.

kuYuri

Rift:
+ Package of entire set is much much smaller then Vive, making it much more mobile - when you want to bring to work place for instance like recently in my case
+ Lighter
+ Much less cables - basically you plug the sensor(s) (USB) and the headset (USB + HDMI). Thats it - I remember for Vive there was much more devices, cables etc. Not to mention that you had to have sort of stands for bases.
+ Much more space inside headset - I am easily putting Oculus with my glasses on, while for Vice I had to take them of, and barely push them inside the headset - very often Glasses where squeezed that much that glass fell off the frames.
+ I had Vive like 6 months ago, but my memories are telling me that field of view was smaller, so my guess is that Oculus covers more view - especially vertically.
- I hate that there is no option to remove headphones, as I prefer to use my much greater quality headphones, so I need to bend them drastically so to be able to put mine.

The headphones on the Rift? You can absolutely remove them. It’s super simple to do too. Instructions are on the website, but the Rift should have come with this black screwdriver looking thing. You use that to unscrew them off.

keraj37

The headphones on the Rift? You can absolutely remove them. It’s super simple to do too. Instructions are on the website, but the Rift should have come with this black screwdriver looking thing. You use that to unscrew them off.

Oh man, I feel so stupid now - I was wondering what is that thing but I forgot about it. I just removed the headphones with it.

Anyway, many thanks!

Spukc

anyone got some more tips for good vr games.
besides
super hot
robo recall
project cars
elite dangerous
serious sam 3

kuYuri

besides
super hot
robo recall
project cars
elite dangerous
serious sam 3

I hear Lone Echo is currently the must have for a AAA VR experience. Also check out Batman: Arkham VR, Edge of Nowhere, and Wilson’s Heart. Arktika 1 came out recently too.

Spukc

I hear Lone Echo is currently the must have for a AAA VR experience. Also check out Batman: Arkham VR, Edge of Nowhere, and Wilson’s Heart. Arktika 1 came out recently too.

lone echo seems ok but a little too pricey for me. I would love the experience but i am not sure it's an evergreen. Replay ability is important for me.
How is artika 1 ?

keraj37

besides
super hot
robo recall
project cars
elite dangerous
serious sam 3

From native VR games:
- Euro Truck Simulator 2, just crazy good game, like perfect design for VR.

From no native (with vorpX 3D Driver)
- SW:BF1 and BF2... I know I know, but what can I do, this game is just great in VR, but if you have problem with it, just grab BF1.

Khar00f

Neo Member
I was heavily leaning towards the Rift, tried it at my cousins and I loved it. Was waiting for Black Friday to see if any deals woulkd come up.

Once I wad done convincing the wife to approve the budget. I realized something that swayed my decision the other way.

While I know my situation is very particular, it's still things to consider.

The way my home setup is done is that I have my pc in the basement and I have 2 USB over Ethernet connections each one going to 2 different tv's (one to the bedroom and the other to the sitting room. This allows me to use my pc in either room and have full usage with controllers for gaming etc...

The issue I have is that where my pc is, if I want to demo or move the vr setup to one of those rooms in the event we have guests or whatever I wouldn't be able to use the Rift because of the USB 3.0 connections required unless I move the pc with it (which is a hastle)

So for me the extra money is worth it just for that alone. The flexibility of it, the fact that it's easier to move around etc...

In the end different people, different needs, but sometimes something very small will make the biggest difference such as in this case.

So now back to square one trying to get the wife to approve the purchase given the price difference.

One lucky break is that the Digital Audio Strap is included in the bundle for black Friday weekend. So that 130$ (CDN) that i doknt have to spend :)

Bookoo

And can be played perfectly on the Vive.

Sure they can, but unless you are getting a major discount I am not sure why you would buy a Vive over a Rift at this point.

If you are really interested in the Bethesda games you may want to go Vive because we don't know if they will work properly on the Rift, but probably worth it to wait and see.

Spukc

Sure they can, but unless you are getting a major discount I am not sure why you would buy a Vive over a Rift at this point.

If you are really interested in the Bethesda games you may want to go Vive because we don't know if they will work properly on the Rift, but probably worth it to wait and see.
The reason why i picked rift is cause facebook owns it.
They got way more money to flush then vive.

You may not like them but betting on the biggest fish is always smart.
Esp when rift will be 350 now add 60 on top for true room scale and your done.

Broank

I can't compare it to the Vive since I haven't tried it but I just bought a Rift and it is a great deal right now. 399 and you get the headset, 2 controllers, 2 cameras and 8 free games. The tracking is pretty much 1 to 1 perfect and tracks me around the room just fine with the 2 cameras. The oculus software also seems very polished, setup was surprisingly easy and fun (80's robot camper lab thing was so freaking great!) and it's pretty much automatic to connect to steamVR and use all those same games and apps.

My biggest complaints are the god rays when you see a black screen with white text and the headset gets slightly warm after a couple hours.

Ecto311

I got these VRCovers for mine https://vrcover.com/

I really like them. On amazon for $20 you get 2 and can wash/dry one and keep one rolling on your headset. The original foam wasn't an issue but this makes them a bit more comfortable.

One thing I wish was easier with the rift is changing height faster. I lay the sensors on their side for my kid and it works but it makes the guardian system and other safe guards wonky because they have moved. She is 2 foot shorter than I am and playing waltz of the wizard or Last Contact she is too short in game with them left alone.

Top Bottom