• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Tales of Hearts (R) Coming to the West

Neat! I wanted to play a new Tales game after Radiant Mythology, which was my first Tales game, so this seems like a good time.

Also, that release date for One Piece Red bums me out. lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's a Vita game that looks worse than the DS game it's based on. Let that sink in for a moment. It's a poorly outsourced 3D version of a great 2D game, it's missing all sorts of stuff and they added in random encounters out of spite.

EDIT: A 1/1 release date, sometimes 6/1 just means that Gamestop has no clue when a game is coming out, not that a game will exactly be released on New Years. I expect Unlimited World RED to be a late summer to early winter release.

Sandfox

We already saw Innocence and Tempest getting translated, so it would only be a matter of time if they dont stop.

And given that we have groups trying to do multiple Tales of games at a time for years without any progress I'm not expecting any more to get done.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If the alternative to this is Type-0 then I'd rather have this.

People asked Shahid what he actually meant but he never clarified.
With an August release date for Type-0's fan translation, I feel like getting Hearts R instead is the better outcome for us, anyway.

A fan translation for Hearts DS is also underway, I think. So that might still happen, along with this.

And given that we have groups trying to do multiple Tales of games at a time for years without any progress I'm not expecting any more to get done.
It tooks years for Phantasia PSX to be translated. It's a time consuming process.

I'd be in for a copy.
Still waiting for SE to get on with the Type-0 vita port. Chop chop.

Why did R suck? That's a shame if true. The DS one was one of the best games I played during the time.

Bad 3D graphics, changed the battle system, and they changed the story around some seems to be the reason a lot of people don't like R. The R games are like "reimaginings" or whatever so NB apparently changed a lot about each game.

kewlmyc

Are you sure it's the same "people"? :p

There are more than Tales fans posting ITT, breh.

Edit: beaten by the bird

The people who were pissed are probably happy, but there were probably also people who were like "ew good riddance" because the Vita versions were just so different from the originals in a bad way. :/
True, but the hate for any new Vita localized JRPG just seemed odd. I didn't know that the game was considered mediocre. I thought the game looked great from the YouTube videos I saw.

People were hoping for Type-0 right? Isn't that a PSP game?

Sandfox

With an August release date for Type-0's fan translation, I feel like getting Hearts R instead is the better outcome for us, anyway.

A fan translation for Hearts DS is also underway, I think. So that might still happen, along with this.

It tooks years for Phantasia PSX to be translated. It's a time consuming process.

Its been 5 years and the Hearts translation is still at the beginning. The translators has actually been working these past few month, but I have no reason to believe that it won't just stop again.

Also, I still want my ToD DC translation lol

It looks fine tbh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDlYXtBOYmg (Vita)
It looks better than the ds version, cmon don't hyperbolize this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTFgf_EqLI (NDS)

Sprites vs Models -- Ok fine this one is debatable but the environments looks infinitely superior on vita.

Can't speak for the battle systems though.

Also the vita has much higher quality sound, cutscene quality and portraits.

Its not in that video, but I hate Kohaku/Amber's model with a passion.

Squire

Banned
not-like-this.gif

I hope not

It'd probably do better than a few of the niche titles coming from Aksys/XSEED... and I don't think one title not doing well would affect the negotiations for others. Maybe Innocence since they're from the same series. I mean I'm sure they know that people will flock to Type-0 but they have to be waiting for some reason :/

SE isn't going to give Sony Type-0. If that comes, it won't be through this.

Stuart444

It looks better than the ds version, cmon don't hyperbolize this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTFgf_EqLI (NDS)

Sprites vs Models -- Ok fine this one is debatable but the environments looks infinitely superior on vita.

Also the vita has much higher quality sound, cutscene quality and portraits.

I think both look great to me, I'd have no issue with either one.

Anura

Edit For the above: I never said the vita one doesn't have full voice acting and I don't think anyone did. My point was more that the DS game was so good that it being better than the Vita version is completely understandable. Besides I haven't played the Vita one yet.

Edit 2: lol that isn't even hearts.

The ultra stretched DS screen is hardly a fair comparison. The environments look good compared to the DS one but hideous compared to other Vita games.

Holykael1

Banned
The ultra stretched DS screen is hardly a fair comparison. The environments look good compared to the DS one but hideous compared to other Vita games.

This is a comparison between versions, it doesn't matter that one is more technically advanced in it's hardware. And even on the ds screen.. It certainly won't look as clean as the Vita environments. The models look ok, I don't see anything atrocious about them. The sprites might look more aesthetically pleasing to some but the models hardly look like shite.
Also isnt Hearts R a very early vita game?

Edit For the above: I never said the vita one doesn't have full voice acting and I don't think anyone did. My point was more that the DS game was so good that it being better than the Vita version is completely understandable. Besides I haven't played the Vita one yet.

Then wait and see, sometimes people can be wrong you know(in the barriers of subjectivity ofc)? Don't judge it until you try it.

This is a comparison between versions, it doesn't matter that one is more technically advanced in it's hardware.

That would be Innocence R.

Hearts R came afterwards and I think this is their second run at taking a DS Tales game and throwing it on the Vita.

Sandfox

If you guys want see how it looks during dialogue and such - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CdeLwXKySE

It's still fully voice acted, people are definitely hyperbolizing. Once again I am not arguing against the battle system because I don't know but graphically it's definitely a proper remake.
That's a video of Innocence R
This is a comparison between versions, it doesn't matter that one is more technically advanced in it's hardware. And even on the ds screen.. It certainly won't look as clean as the Vita environments. The models look ok, I don't see anything atrocious about them. The sprites might look more aesthetically pleasing to some but the models hardly look like shite.
Hearts R came out last year and was the second R game so I wouldn't consider it an early Vita title.

Kensuke

Okay, I get some people here are disappointed with the changes they made to the DS version. However, most of us won't play that version. So it isn't very useful to compare those two.

I would prefer to know if Hearts R is a good 3D Tales game. How is the story compared to recent Tales games like Vesperia, Graces and Xillia? Are the characters good? Looking at the trailer, the combat seems to be pretty standard.

Anura

I dunno those models looked very bad to me. I can't really call the Vita environments good either... Being better than a game running on super outdated tech does not mean good in fact going on those Vita videos posted I would say there still awful but in a completely different way.
But regardless of all that if you really want to compare versions you might want to do it without ultra stretched footage.

Edit for your edit: that's true I certainly should wait and see. You would do well to take your own advice as well and considering I HAVE at least played the DS version I am going to assume I am coming into this with more knowledge about comparisons than you.

NesFe

I'm surprised so many people dislike Tales of Hearts R. I thought it was an enjoyable game better than Innocence R and it looked really nice on th vita. My only complalint was random encounters, but thats subjective. I haven't played the orginal ds titles so I can't compare them though.

Anyways, good news for Tales fans if true and hopefully it's not the only game #JRPGvita has in store.

Hmmm... I saw the gaffe on Bamco's forums where they listed ToHR. This coupled with that and #jrpgvita, plus Namco's recent generosity makes me wonder...

As far as the game itself goes, I've played the import multiple times and it's nowhere near as terrible as it's made out to be (at least in my opinion). Yes, it's hideous. Yes, the animation is garbage. Yes, it's outsourced. Yes, they gave the music to the Tales of Innocence composer for him to ruin. But the game itself succeeds on its own terms. Honestly, my only major complaint with it is that enemies will recover in the air during aerial combos instead of falling to the ground like in other Tales games. It removed a wrinkle of strategy from aerial combat in other Tales games.

I was initially against the direction they took the remake in, but I was pleasantly surprised with the final product.

I'd be happy to answer anyone else's questions about the game or elaborate on what I said above.

Hearts supposedly has one of the best tales stories with Baba saying it's his favourite.

Should be good.

The story in Tales of Hearts is one of the best in the series in my opinion. Easily my second favorite behind Symphonia, if not tied with it.

18-Volt

This list is lacking some announced Vita games like Vita Pets, Monster Monpiece, Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 and Natural Doctirne. I wanna say that's because of they pretty recent announcements but Tales of Hearts is there. Or maybe it means there won't be physical release for those games?

Ryuukan

This list is lacking some announced Vita games like Vita Pets, Monster Monpiece, Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 and Natural Doctirne. I wanna say that's because of they pretty recent announcements but Tales of Hearts is there. Or maybe it means there won't be physical release for those games?

It's a gamestop list, all your aforementioned games are digital only aside from Natural Doctrine which was just announced

zeopower6

Monpiece is definitely digital only. The others probably just haven't been entered into the system.

Tales fans are a concentrated bunch, but I think the number 1 problem was that people took "#jrpgvita" to mean unlocalized Vita games, and not just JRPGs you want on Vita. SCEA's Third Party Production people were more clear in their intent, and it doesn't look like Tales made a huge splash.
That was my impression also, because at the time there wasn't many Vita Jrpg's fullstop. The problem with these kinds of campaigns is it gets fans hopes up only for them to be disappointed when the game they want doesn't happen.

Maybe with SE's recent revelation that the rest of the world quite likes jrpgs, they might start to port some of their games. That'll all depend of course whether they kept the assets and source code, which with how these companies were being run is no guarantee. Anyway with the amount of work to port these games, they'll not be Vita exclusive that's for sure.

Pricken

Skimmed through the videos above, and this game looks great to me. The in-game models look completely fine, and the combat looks engaging and fun. I've never actually played a true JRPG before, and this looks like a good game to start with. Let's hope it's out earlier than next year!

Eusis

Why so much hate? Weren't people pissed for them saying in an interview that the Vita games weren't coming over? Now one might be coming over and people are saying it's shit and they don't want it.
The second ideal situation (after getting the original Hearts or at least a straighter port/update) would've been these games quickly localized and for there to have been no build up. Granted hype would be crazy regardless, but there's stuff like Over My Dead Body 2 I believe.

Foffy

Banned
I refuse to believe that any of the current Tales of fan translations will ever be completed.

Well, if Tales of the Tempest gets a fan translation, I am sure any and all of them will be done one day!

Sure, that may be four centuries from now, but yeah!

Skimmed through the videos above, and this game looks great to me. The in-game models look completely fine, and the combat looks engaging and fun. I've never actually played a true JRPG before, and this looks like a good game to start with. Let's hope it's out earlier than next year!
no no no. Start with persona 4 golden not a remake that is worst than the original! Don't let this spoils your impression of jrpg.

That said I will still buy the game, my original toh game will still be with me and at most I will go back to the Ds game if I can't stand the new game lol.

The new battle system is really much less fun than the original :(

Tohsaka

Will buy if it actually does come out. I don't really care too much if the battle system isn't as good as the DS game, since I can't play that one anyway.

Past few tales games didn't really click with me. I got like 15hrs into Graces F and even less into Xillia. Dunno they just feel so bland anymore.

Top Bottom