• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So from what I've gathered here, Felicia Day is probably the only one that's done the right thing here... said absolutely fucking nothing. And good on her for that.

That's what I think is so hilarious. Does she even know what's going on or is she going to sign on Twitter and be like "The fuck just happened?"

bangai-o

Banned
megaStryke works at dtoid? can you inform your web guy that the site doesnt recognize e ink kindle as a mobile device? Its impossible to load the desktop version.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
That's what I think is so hilarious. Does she even know what's going on or is she going to sign on Twitter and be like "The fuck just happened?"

She's actively tweeting (she just accepted his apology), but she really didn't say anything at all when the guy made those tweets. It only blew up because other people made it an issue.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's a fair question to ask just about any of the personalities involved in gaming. The "booth babe" part was incredibly stupid. An apology should have been requested, and if he gave it he should have kept his job. His response to his firing is evidence that if he had apologized it wouldn't have been sincere. Kind of hard to feel any sympathy for someone that shows zero remorse for being an ass.

How often do you think apologies in situations like this, where someone's ordering you to "say you're sorry," are sincere? Based on when I had to do this as a child, I'd say "absolutely never."

And it doesn't fucking matter whether he's sorry, anyway. All that's important is that Destructoid's image isn't tarnished (for what that's worth) and that gamers can safely go back to complaining about whatever other minor irritants they were enraged about earlier in the day.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
She's actively tweeting (she just accepted his apology), but she really didn't say anything at all when the guy made those tweets. It only blew up because other people made it an issue.

Good on her for not making a big deal out of it. Didn't think she would anyway.

Could have sworn I read Perez's twitter profile and it said he "enjoys the smell of busty women".

Maybe I'm mis-remembering things. Either way don't quote me on that.

Koroviev

I'm sure she has seen the comments. She's just not bothering to enter the fray. His comment was probably only noted because of his affiliation with Destructoid. Had he been just some completely random guy making ill-informed remarks, probably no one would have cared.

Could have sworn I read Perez's twitter profile and at one point it said he "enjoys the smell of busty women".

Maybe I'm mis-remembering things. Either way don't quote me on that.

It did. He edited.

He pickets interest. Fake hyping, non fake hyping. He may not be alone in these crusades, but I do see genuine endeavor in his person in making games relevant and exciting and interesting.

I sorta liked him on the e3 bombcasts.

I've always hated his weird comments about wanting Nintendo to deliver an "epic, Lord of the Rings Zelda" (his words not mine)

like, what does that even mean?

Anyway, we're de-railing this thread.

Amazed some people in this thread are actually trying to half heartedly support his comment. Let's just call Nolan North a glorified booth babe and be done with it. Insulting much.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I feel like GAF is having more and more threads about the 'industry' and people in it rather than games themselves.

BillyBats

Banned
Why was he talking shit about her? I guess I'm out of the loop because I just Googled her and she seems to be an attractive woman that I've never seen or heard of. Is she some sort of braggart or something?

Oh whow, just whow... I was just on Twitter when this was happening so I followed the whole thing. David Fucking Jaffe nailed it!

First of all, I don't like Felicia Day. I respect her work in the social media/webseries space, but I'm not a fan. Nothing personal, different taste, I guess.

This Destruction guy is an idiot. That booth babe part was unnecessary and rude but he had every right to post that question. What? Just because it's Felicia Day, she's untouchable? Please... everyone has the right to be questioned and evaluated (although in a civil and polite matter).

All I wanted to say is: yes, the guy's an idiot for posting that question IN THAT MANNER, but he had every right to ask that. I don't see her contribution to the *gaming* industry (social media/webseries, sure, without a doubt).

And Jaffe hit the point immediately. He's 100% right. He met Felicia Day and has huge respect for her. He said the guy's an idiot for posting that BUT if this industry wants to be fair, why isn't anyone "jumping to defense" when lots of other shit is happening in the industry to various people? Huh? Talk about being fair & honest.

Q.E.D.

rouken

he should have asked that question to that justine girl on gttv.
Amanda Mckay is awesome so as that girl with glasses but justine, i really don't get her.

Oh whow, just whow... I was just on Twitter when this was happening so I followed the whole thing. David Fucking Jaffe nailed it!

First of all, I don't like Felicia Day. I respect her work in the social media/webseries space, but I'm not a fan. Nothing personal, different taste, I guess.

This Destruction guy is an idiot. That booth babe part was unnecessary and rude but he had every right to post that question. What? Just because it's Felicia Day, she's untouchable? Please... everyone has the right to be questioned and evaluated (although in a civil and polite matter).

All I wanted to say is: yes, the guy's an idiot for posting that question IN THAT MANNER, but he had every right to ask that. I don't see her contribution to the *gaming* industry (social media/webseries, sure, without a doubt).

And Jaffe hit the point immediately. He's 100% right. He met Felicia Day and has huge respect for her. He said the guy's an idiot for posting that BUT if this industry wants to be fair, why isn't anyone "jumping to defense" when lots of other shit is happening in the industry to various people? Huh? Talk about being fair & honest.

Q.E.D.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum, indeed.

How often do you think apologies in situations like this, where someone's ordering you to "say you're sorry," are sincere? Based on when I had to do this as a child, I'd say "absolutely never."

And it doesn't fucking matter whether he's sorry, anyway. All that's important is that Destructoid's image isn't tarnished (for what that's worth) and that gamers can safely go back to complaining about whatever other minor irritants they were enraged about earlier in the day.

Did you just compare being adult to being a child? Umm not the same. An adult is more apt to see the error of their ways. He had a chance to. He didn't. He's an ass.

mollipen

This is what I was talking about in my last post

The incident is recorded here in Anna Antropy's blog, for those who didn't see my edit

If you want to find things against Sterling, I'm not exactly sure she's the person who I'd be using as the rational side of the argument.

Valnen

He wasn't asking a legitimate question so much as he was just attacking her from the way that was worded, honestly. He had it coming.

It's a simple point of how Perez approached the situation: instead of reasonably questioning her, he more so attacked and judged. Sure Day may not be the paragon of innovation and forward thinking but her work is harmless and fun. She enjoys what she does and I have not seen her pushing any major agenda. Now do I personally think she adds anything to the medium? Not much really (go watch her work at the 2011 Spike VGAs as proof...) but she doesn't really have to add anything if she doesn't want to.

Oh no, someone not liking somebody else, kill him!!

A word from Destructoid saying "Those opinions are all his, not ours" would have been more than enough.

Perkel

Banned
I love how he feels like asking that is his Journalistic work.

Probably should just ask as he intended to:

"10 reason why you are worse than any other both babe."

Danny Dudekisser

Did you just compare being adult to being a child? Umm not the same. An adult is more apt to the error of their ways. He had a chance to. He didn't. He's an ass.

It's the same shit. Dude's all grown up, he calls Felicia Day a mean name, and his boss tells him to say he's sorry? Yeah, he's going to say sorry to keep his job, but you know he fucking meant what he said. He wouldn't have said it otherwise.

I'm not saying the dude wasn't a dick about the way he went about things, but do you honestly expect anyone to be sincere when they apologize in circumstances like those?

Pretty sure he's fucked for the foreseeable future if he intended to pursue this career path. If you start shit while you're still an intern that's bad enough to get you fired from that internship, that ain't good... especially in such a small industry.

Especially with the industry's newly-found ultrasensitivity to everything.

He's had a few other gigs before Destructoid. If this was his very first writing spot, sure, he'd been in deep trouble, but I don't think it's going to be so bad for him. We'll see.

Why was he talking shit about her? I guess I'm out of the loop because I just Googled her and she seems to be an attractive woman that I've never seen or heard of. Is she some sort of braggart or something?

He's just like you -- didn't really know who Felicia Day was.

I don't claim to be a huge Felicia Day fan, but she's been in a few good things. She was on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and she's been on smaller web projects like Legend of Neil and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.

I agree everyone overreacted here. So no warning along with instant termination?

Well...He's only an intern.

All Destructoid has to do is hold a hand outside their office window and fifty more of them will fly into it.

Recovery is still possible I suppose...not that I'd have a clue or anything. One person quickly forgets but a few million? Okay maybe they'll quickly forget as well.

Danny Dudekisser

He's had a few other gigs before Destructoid. If this was his very first writing spot, sure, he'd been in deep trouble, but I don't think it's going to be so bad for him. We'll see.

Fair enough - I guess I just assumed that internship meant first crack at being in the industry. Sorry for making that leap of logic inappropriately.

Monocle

One of the things I really savor about social media is when someone forgets that their real life identity is attached to their online voice. Twitter is a gateway to sublime new landscapes of schadenfreude.

I sorta liked him on the e3 bombcasts.

I've always hated his weird comments about wanting Nintendo to deliver an "epic, Lord of the Rings Zelda" (his words not mine)

like, what does that even mean?

Anyway, we're de-railing this thread.

It means that Legend of Zelda has a rich lore that could be used for an epic, yet it always hit closes notes. There may be preference for the usual storytelling formula, but he is right there is room for an epic.

...but he had every right to post that question. What? Just because it's Felicia Day, she's untouchable? Please... everyone has the right to be questioned and evaluated (although in a civil and polite matter).

Yes, he has every right to pose any questions.
But his questions beg for other questions.

Does she detracts/harms the industry?
Does she identifies herself as of importance to the industry?
Does others indentify her as of importance or 'face' to the industry?

It appears to me she is neutral on all stances. So what would be the importance on valueing her worth? What is there to appease other than curiosity? And if it was genuine curiosity, couldn't he pose this question to himself and rationalize and gauge her value from there?

---

Anyway, it was on twitter, anyone can do anything.

It's the same shit. Dude's all grown up, he calls Felicia Day a mean name, and his boss tells him to say he's sorry? Yeah, he's going to say sorry to keep his job, but you know he fucking meant it. He wouldn't have said it otherwise.

I'm not saying the dude wasn't a dick about the way he went about things, but do you honestly expect anyone to be sincere when they apologize in circumstances like those?

Yes, if someone talks to him sincerely about why what he said/did was wrong. If he grasps it and honestly apologizes he should keep his job. People are capable of learning from their mistakes. The knee-jerk reaction to ban/fire someone doesn't accomplish much of anything. Unless they're unrepentant, in which case you've accomplished the task of ridding yourself of one asshole, which apparently they did.

Koroviev

One of the things I really savor about social media is when someone forgets that their real life identity is attached to their online voice. Twitter is a gateway to sublime new landscapes of schadenfreude.

I don't see the point in attaching your real identity if you're not a public figure of some degree.

dabig2

Well...He's only an intern.

All Destructoid has to do is hold a hand outside their office window and fifty more of them will fly into it.

Recovery is still possible I suppose...not that I'd have a clue or anything. One person quickly forgets but a few million? Okay maybe they'll quickly forget as well.

Indeed. Interns get 0 strikes. Some might think it's unfair, but that's business. Attacking a personality with a legion of fans out of the blue like that brings way too much hassle. Better for Destructoid to cut him than fall on their swords for a meager intern.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
There is one positive piece of news to come out of this story: Destructoid's hiring.

:O

Koroviev

Yes, if someone talks to him sincerely about why what he said/did was wrong. If he grasps it and honestly apologizes he should keep his job. People are capable of learning from their mistakes. The knee-jerk reaction to ban/fire someone doesn't accomplish much of anything. Unless they're unrepentant, in which case you've accomplished the task of ridding yourself of one asshole, which apparently they did.

I think the issue here is that social media has become inextricable from journalism. In other words, part of the job is managing your online affairs thoughtfully. As is the case with any other business, they don't have time to babysit you.

iammeiam

The thing that always amazes me is that people usually advertise their online identities on the accounts they use to be a jackass.

I'd be more forgiving if people would split their public and private Twitter personas, and confine their dumb behavior to a private account and keep their professional one professional.

If you name-drop where you write to let potential followers know how awesome you are, you leave the website no choice other than to treat your words on your twitter account as reflecting you as an employee.

I think the issue here is that social media has become inextricable from journalism. In other words, part of the job is managing your online affairs thoughtfully. As is the case with any other business, they don't have time to babysit you.

They write about video games. They have time. Even major corporations take the time. It's why they have HR departments.

Top Bottom