• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 Gameplay Modes Trailer

I don't really do fighting games but somehow I may end up buying 3 in one year.

MvCi (If Black Panther is a character and the X-Men come)
Injustice 2 (Maybe)
Tekken 7 (Most definitely)

Glad to see this have more in common with Tekken V and not 6

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I don't really do fighting games but somehow I may end up buying 3 in one year.

MvCi (If Black Panther is a character and the X-Men come)
Injustice 2 (Maybe)
Tekken 7 (Most definitely)

Glad to see this have more in common with Tekken V and not 6

How so?

cordy

Banned
Idk what he means but after thinking about it I gotta agree. T5 felt like a flashback or rather a celebration of the series and that's what this feels like. T6 felt sort of soulless, I can't explain it. Overall as a full package this feels like it's worthy of a big league Tekken. 6 was just weird.

If he's talking about gameplay then I don't know.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Idk what he means but after thinking about it I gotta agree. T5 felt like a flashback or rather a celebration of the series and that's what this feels like. T6 felt sort of soulless, I can't explain it. Overall as a full package this feels like it's worthy of a big league Tekken. 6 was just weird.

If he's talking about gameplay then I don't know.

I agree. T6 just kinda felt meh compared to how awesome T5 was. Dunno how to explain it.

I can't believe I'm saying this out loud but I would double the price of the game for Tekken Force Mode.

Maybe the story mode will suffice.

Creaking

I can't believe I'm saying this out loud but I would double the price of the game for Tekken Force Mode.

Maybe the story mode will suffice.

There's also going to be a new game mode added down the line as part of the season pass. Could be something like that.

Sillverrr

This is why I'm back in for Tekken 7, as someone who only ever messed around with the series way back in the PS One era. If I only buy a single fighting game per year, it's going to be the one featuring a goddamn arcade mode out of the box!

This "learned from Capcom's mistakes" thing is dumb as hell, the Tekken series always had a ton of content. No need to drag Capcom's dumb SFV launch decisions in here.

Anyways, the cinematic transitions into gameplay is sick as hell! It's so sleek! Also having all the endings in this game is huge surprise, I f'in loooooved going through arcade mode with all the characters to unlock them. Can't wait to go through them again and see those goofy ass T5-T6 endings again like Paul's lol. Sucks that there seems to be no Tekken Force/Bowling though, those were fun time wasters. If anything, I would've loved something like VF4's Quest mode which was like the one of the best modes ever alongside SFA3's World Tour and SCIII's Chronicles of the Sword.

cordy

Banned
Yeah I'm pretty sure this additional mode is going to be some "Super Force/Campaign" mode. If that's part of the DLC and it's got it's own portion (equipped with some costume stuff then that makes sense.
062618.jpg

There's no other mode that can fulfill that big spot that I can think of for Tekken. Actually Harada commented on this a few days ago on IGN.

TEKKENFORCE: Is Tekken Force in the game? Or mini games in general?

Katsuhiro Harada: Well, if you look back at the series, Tekken Force made its appearance – I think it was [Tekken] 3, and I was trying to recreate the feeling of the kind of games that were popular in the ‘80s. So that was the original intent. It was quite popular, so it saw another iteration in Tekken 4, and then it kind of evolved into the scenario campaign; the story-based mode in Tekken 6. So I guess you could say that, rather than that, people should focus more on the story mode for Tekken 7, because it's kind of an extension [of that idea], just with a stronger storytelling aspect. It still contains a lot of mini game-type elements that people might expect of a Tekken game. We hope that they'll check that out, because it's more fun. So the short answer is – no, Tekken Force is not in it at the moment.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this additional mode is going to be some "Super Force/Campaign" mode. If that's part of the DLC and it's got it's own portion (equipped with some costume stuff then that makes sense.

There's no other mode that can fulfill that big spot that I can think of for Tekken. Actually Harada commented on this a few days ago on IGN.

Ooooo, post launch? I don't mind, extra content is always good and especially if it's something like Tekken Force. Sucks for the dates on the guest characters though but eh, 2017 already has a ton of games to be busy on alongside Tekken. :D

Son Of D

Ooooo, post launch? I don't mind, extra content is always good and especially if it's something like Tekken Force. Sucks for the dates on the guest characters though but eh, 2017 already has a ton of games to be busy on alongside Tekken. :D

Won't be surprised if we see a veteran or two added before the first guest. Expecting one shortly after EVO.

cordy

Banned

Yep. I'm glad it's happening tbh, keeps the game fresh.

Also since T7's PS4 version comes with a Jukebox function, here's some of the changes I'll make.

- The "Character Select Theme" is changed to "Are You Ready? (Tekken 2 Character Select" theme.
- "Dragon's Nest Part 1" is being changed to T5's "Dragon's Nest: To Those Who Go to Heaven" more than likely.
- "Dragon's Nest Final Round" is being changed to T5DR's "Garden Of The Tiger" more than likely.

All the others? Man, there's so many stages and I haven't heard all the themes yet so I can't decide but the BIGGEST issue is that Tekken's known for so many iconic tracks. If I've got the entire lineup and I can not only change each stage AND the final round? Lord.

I'm going to spend straight HOURS customizing this.

Honestly I hate Tekken Force, so I hope it never comes back. Plays like a bad PS2 game.

Harada said:
It still contains a lot of mini game-type elements that people might expect of a Tekken game.

Yo I missed this... mini game elements? That sounds a bit like there could be a Tekken Ball or Tekken Bowl in this one.

cordy

Banned
Honestly I hate Tekken Force, so I hope it never comes back. Plays like a bad PS2 game.

Yo I missed this... mini game elements? That sounds a bit like there could be a Tekken Ball or Tekken Bowl in this one.

I feel you lol. Also for the "mini-game elements" thing. A video spoiled 1 thing.

Lars was using a gun in Story Mode. It switched from standard 1v1 fighting to the player choosing to use the gun and at that moment it switched to a 3rd person action game for a few seconds. I've also read that there was a section where Alisa uses a mini-game or something in a previous press release but probably more stuff than that.

FRS1987

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was a complete package game at release as well.

I'm not even a Tekken fan but even I LOVE Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and i'm mainly a Capcom Fighter. I put in countless hours into it and it had a MASSIVE amount of content. I was floored at how much fun it was from gameplay to side content. It's made me excited for Tekken 7 and so far it looks great.

Dart

PS4 version comes with a Jukebox feature! Nice! now I can play to one of my favorite track Moonlit Wilderness, super excited!

Creaking

Tekken itself was console exclusive before this game. Support with your wallet

Tekken hasn't been console exclusive since Tekken 5 DR.

6 was on PS3 and 360 (and PSP), and Tag 2 was on PS3, 360 and Wii U, where it got a frustrating amount of exclusive content (including the return of Tekken Ball. Of course it under-performed. Pearls before swine, I tell you.)

Tekken 7 is just keeping with that trend.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Tekken hasn't been console exclusive since Tekken 5 DR.

6 was on PS3 and 360 (and PSP), and Tag 2 was on PS3, 360 and Wii U, where it got a frustrating amount of exclusive content (including the return of Tekken Ball. Of course it under-performed. Pearls before swine, I tell you.)

Tekken 7 is just keeping with that trend.

not true, tekken hasn't been console exclusive since tekken advance, but i get what your sayng x) i meant not on PC

Monocle

Tekken itself was console exclusive before this game. Support with your wallet
Like others have pointed out, Tekken hasn't been console exclusive for a long time.

I plan to buy T7 for the current gen console I own: an XB1. I'm waiting to pick up a PS4 until I find a good bundle deal. Might delay it as long as Black Friday to see if anyone offers a decent discount on a Pro.

It's stupid that my dollar buys less content than a PS4 owner's. Like, what is the rationale exactly? I've been playing Tekken since T2 and bought nearly every sequel since. I'm not some casual who wants free goodies he wouldn't really appreciate anyway. As a longtime Tekken fan, that jukebox feature has real value to me.

Like others have pointed out, Tekken hasn't been console exclusive for a long time.

I plan to buy T7 for the current gen console I own: an XB1. I'm waiting to pick up a PS4 until I find a good bundle deal. Might delay it as long as Black Friday to see if anyone offers a decent discount on a Pro.

It's stupid that my dollar buys less content than a PS4 owner's. Like, what is the rationale exactly? I've been playing Tekken since T2 and bought nearly every sequel since. I'm not some casual who wants free goodies he wouldn't really appreciate anyway. As a longtime Tekken fan, that jukebox feature has real value to me.
That's on Sony for buying an exclusivity deal. You can question why Namco Bandai would go for such a deal, but it's all in the marketing. Gets you prime advertising opportunities, an on-stage presence or a highlight at the biggest expos, a sponsor at tournaments etc.

It's a treat for folks of the console, but it's not a gamechanger.

JimiNutz

Banned
Haven't played a Tekken since 3 but think I'll jump in for this. Hopefully the storyline still makes some kind of sense to me even though I've only played 1-3.

Sure, but people who bought TTT2 on the PS3 could also say that about the extra content that the Wii U version got. You know how this stuff works.

IMO if any version should get extra content, it's natural that it should be the PlayStation version. Tekken feels like as much a PlayStation brand as Crash Bandicoot.

cordy

Banned
Idk why people are bitching about what version gets more than the other version when we've seen this for over a decade now. Besides that, people were just talking about "Scorpio" potentially having better graphics, that's an advantage. People were just talking about a free copy of T6 to those who get it for X1, that's an advantage. Bamco's actually tried to even stuff out unlike a lot of developers. Whining about it makes no sense let alone getting mad when it's not really their decision. The fact the PS4 gets certain legacy costumes, Jukebox and PSVR makes sense to me.

Sony did that deal. You can't hate the playa, hate the game.

Sure, but people who bought TTT2 on the PS3 could also say that about the extra content that the Wii U version got. You know how this stuff works.

IMO if any version should get extra content, it's natural that it should be the PlayStation version. Tekken feels like as much a PlayStation brand as Crash Bandicoot.

I think you mean Tekken Tag 2

Dali

No Tekken Ball, no sale.

Looks like decent content; nothing like the glory days of Tekken 3, but good enough.
Tekken bowl >> Tekken ball

Seriously it was awesome. Every character has their own way of bowling. Some were left handed, some, like Jack were difficult to use finesse. I've never played a stand alone bowling video game but tekken bowl seemed like it was full fledged enough to be one.

Pachimari

Tekken bowl >> Tekken ball

Seriously it was awesome. Every character has their own way of bowling. Some were left handed, some, like Jack were difficult to use finesse. I've never played a stand alone bowling video game but tekken bowl seemed like it was full fledged enough to be one.

Tekken Bowl was honestly very barebones and had bad physics compared to the Brunswick Pro Bowling series, and even Wii Bowling. But it was just a mode in a much bigger game so it can be forgiven.

I would rather see Tekken Ball back, especially as they updated the mode for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 exclusively for the Wii U.

Creaking

Traditional Story mode as opposed to that Action Adventure shit we got in 6.

Well, Tekken 5 also had "action adventure shit" with Devil Within, and Tekken 6 also had somewhat traditional story modes with a prologue and ending movie, they were just shorter and lacked the little interlude cut-scenes that 5 had.

Anyway, Tekken 7's story mode looks closer to NetherRealm's past 3 fighters than anything Tekken has done previously. I just hope the character side stories don't suffer as a result. No word yet on how long those are.

Top Bottom