• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 4/28/2017: GACHAHOLICS ANONYMOUS

DPnC6Ee.png

8-4 Play 4/28/2017: GACHAHOLICS ANONYMOUS
Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City, Fire Emblem Heroes, FAST Racing NEO, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Super NES Mini, Capcom and Nintendo earnings, and more!

Running Time: 1:23:53
・ Direct Download (48.1MB)
・ Subscribe to 8-4 Play via iTunes
・ Subscribe to 8-4 Play via RSS Feed
・ Follow 8-4 Play on Twitter (twitter.com/84play)
・ Follow 8-4 on Facebook (facebook.com/hachinoyon)

Time – Topic Discussed:
12:34 – Capcom Bar
23:20 – Dark Souls 3: The Ringed City
29:00 – Persona 5
33:15 – Fire Emblem Heroes
41:30 – FAST Racing NEO
52:50 – Puyo Puyo Tetris
59:40 – Super Nintendo Mini
1:06:46 – Capcom Earnings
1:07:55 – Persona 5 streaming restrictions
1:10:30 – SGDQ
1:11:35 – Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Physic teenager Ed
1:17:04 – Animal Crossing speed run and Nintendo Earnings
1:19:11 – Closing Comments

kiri

Damn, is it that time already? I need to get the last podcast finished first!

Shame this came out just before the new 2DS XL reveal.

kiri

To be fair, that last one is a goliath, I can understand it taking a while!

I think my problem with the last one that it rambles a little too much and switches from one topic to the next too gradually; despite the time-stamps and being a hour or so in now, it isn't an easy listen.

Doopliss

Damn, is it that time already? I need to get the last podcast finished first!

Shame this came out just before the new 2DS XL reveal.

Nah, don't want to have to listen to their wrong opinions about stereoscopic 3D two episodes in a row. Almost as bad as JJ hating on near-GOAT platformer Rayman Legends.

Wait. Fast Racing Neo? Not Fast RMX?

EDIT: I skipped over the first bit to get to Persona/Fire Emblem talk and missed that Alexa Ray is on! Also, ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY DOLLARS?

I pulled using 30 of my free orbs today and got Camilla, Hector AND Takemi, sorry not sorry

Busaiku

Wait. Fast Racing Neo? Not Fast RMX?

EDIT: I skipped over the first bit to get to Persona/Fire Emblem talk and missed that Alexa Ray is on! Also, ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY DOLLARS?

I pulled using 30 of my free orbs today and got Camilla, Hector AND Takemi, sorry not sorry
$160 for just these banners sounds a little light.
I did $240.

Yay! My favorite time of the (every other) week!

I think my problem with the last one that it rambles a little too much and switches from one topic to the next too gradually; despite the time-stamps and being a hour or so in now, it isn't an easy listen.

It reminded me of my favorite 1UP Yours episodes: the ones when they rambled. :)

LiK

Geez, the Persona talk was just annoying and bad. Weird that John had this dismissive attitude about the waifu stuff when the Fire Emblem series also likes to delve into that stuff too. Sarah mentioning that you need to invest a lot of time into it but she spends a lot of time with Pokemon and AC. To each their own but Persona 5 is an epic game with lots of interesting characters. Most characters act like stereotypes until you rank up the SLinks and get to know them better. You're supposed to get to know these characters more and see that they're not the type of people you think they are.

Anyway, I wish Roy was there like Mark said. Maybe next episode.

Mupod

was this recorded before Nintendo's mega troll in Fire Emblem Heroes last night? It was so evil I'm just in awe.

dawgparty

Geez, the Persona talk was just annoying and bad. Weird that John had this dismissive attitude about the waifu stuff when the Fire Emblem series also likes to delve into that stuff too. Sarah mentioning that you need to invest a lot of time into it but she spends a lot of time with Pokemon and AC. To each their own but Persona 5 is an epic game with lots of interesting characters. Most characters act like stereotypes until you rank up the SLinks and get to know them better. You're supposed to get to know these characters more and see that they're not the type of people you think they are.

Anyway, I wish Roy was there like Mark said. Maybe next episode.

Agreed. Game comes out that is loved by critics and fans alike so let's spend 20 minutes shitting on it. Persona 5 characters are waaaay less trope-y than most JRPG characters. Also I've played the game in 1-2 hour spurts and gotten plenty done. Outside of dungeon exploring the in-game days take like 5 minutes...

I wanna hear more from John Ricciardi about his issues with games that focus on romancing anime stereotypes that are poorly written.
...my love

LiK

Agreed. Game comes out that is loved by critics and fans alike so let's spend 20 minutes shitting on it. Persona 5 characters are waaaay less trope-y than most JRPG characters. Also I've played the game in 1-2 hour spurts and gotten plenty done. Outside of dungeon exploring the in-game days take like 5 minutes...

Yea, I don't want to sound super defensive in regards to it but also hearing that Graham forced himself to beat P3 and P4 even tho he didn't like the games was just bizarre to me. The whole discussion rubbed me the wrong way.

Mafro

Felt Graham was way overselling the callbacks to previous Dark Souls games in the new DLC. There's like two locations based on DS1 & 2 in the first area (one fairly minor) and that's it.

Curufinwe

*Graeme. Mark calls him Gray-ham as a joke and also because Americans tend to be dumbfounded by the alternate spelling.

Yea, I don't want to sound super defensive in regards to it but also hearing that Graham forced himself to beat P3 and P4 even tho he didn't like the games was just bizarre to me. The whole discussion rubbed me the wrong way.

That part, in particular, did not make much sense. Those games are not exactly short. Why waste your time, if you're not enjoying it?

Heck, considering Graham's intense disdain for cutscenes, I'm confused why he bothered playing Persona, a text-heavy game, at all.

wrowa

I haven't listened to the new show yet (maybe I'll be super angry then :p), but the idea that they be can't negative towards a game just because it's universally liked is pretty silly. I can also understand that you might not feel like you've accomplished much when you just had time to play for a handful of in-game days - just going through a bunch of social links without making noteworthy progress in the main story can feel like that.

...my love

Maybe theyre preemtively reacting to the inevitable flanderization of those characters in spinoffs and fom waifu-hunters. Shits already starting.

dawgparty

I haven't listened to the new show yet (maybe I'll be super angry then :p), but the idea that they be can't negative towards a game just because it's universally liked is pretty silly. I can also understand that you might not feel like you've accomplished much when you just had time to play for a handful of in-game days - just going through a bunch of social links without making noteworthy progress in the main story can feel like that.

2 of the people shitting on the game haven't played it.

Also with Grizelda in particular it kinda seems like negativity for negativity's sake. Why the shit would you spend 160 hours playing games you don't like? Just to be able to say you really didn't like it?

LiK

Yea, that's fine. They don't need to like everything. I'm fine with the complaints if they gave it a chance. For example, I accepted JJ's complaints about FFXV. The complaints made about P5 didn't make a lick of sense to me in regards to other games they played before.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

While i get that...i mean most people are listening to hear about the crews opinion on the games or their first impressions. Doesnt really matter that it got great reviews or is acclaimed...i mean Mark said on the BimP that Zelda 2 has better combat than BotW and i was like....wtf...but its his opinion and there isnt much you can do about it.

IIRC the main crew wasnt too hot about P4G back then either - so them not being totally for P5 isnt suprising to me. Havent listen to the episode yet though...maybe it is that bad.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I was crazy into it for a while but eventually it just becomes boring as fuck. "Rote" was a good word to describe it. Also the chibi scrapbook character models are...not great.

Thats your issue...if you play it casuallyits pretty great and the Updates. IntSys has been providing some great updates since its launch. Is it the best mobile game ever ? No - but it does alot of things right and its good to have parity between JPN/Western version for a gacha title.
What happened?

Banner featuring Ike(his premier) was dropped a couple of days ago....everyone and their mom spend their stones to get him. Then Nintendo dropped the best Banner for this weekend including 4 featured Top Tier units and everyone is pissed that they are out of stones for that banner lol.

urfe

When I heard "secret best SNES RPG I was ready to cringe, and then when Lufia 2 was said, I was almost ready to cry a tear of joy.

I napped to this today, so I honestly didn't remember most of the discussion. I enjoyed what I heard, and had dreams about Jesus and hairy hips in Minnesota.

Faustek

Listening now and Uhm....should someone tell them that the Waifu/Husbando crap is the only reason Fire Emblem is still happening? Same reason why the mobile game is even going strong.

Yay! Alexa Ray is awesome.

Indeed :)

Is Heroes that addicting ?

meh, it's a boring game. If you want anything longer than a minute I recommend buying the games on dedicated hardware. The maps are to small to be anything else than time wasters and you know the beauty of the 3DS is that you can fit it anywhere and just pull it out and play some in between if it's a time waster you're looking for.

Renewed

I'm about to listen but...

Dropped $65 for these banners in the past couple of days, and I got a 5* Marth/Merric and a bunch of 4* like Reinhardt. I feel the urge to drop more. I have a problem.

Top Bottom