• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seiken Densetsu Collection videos show Screen Switch Mode, Quick Save, and Music Mode

As much as I used to love the Mana series, Secret of Mana & SD3's combat's pretty dated.
I really wish Square would release a new modern game in the series. Preferably by the Kingdom Hearts team or an indie dev like SuperGiant.

As much as I used to love the Mana series, Secret of Mana & SD3's combat's pretty dated.
I really wish Square would release a new modern game in the series. Preferably by the Kingdom Hearts team or an indie dev like SuperGiant.

Preferably by the Kingdom Hearts team

So you just want them to announce a new Mana game and never actually release it, then

Sojiro

Please SE, localize this for the west! SD3 has been waiting for 22 years to officially make it over, please don't make it wait any longer!

Nintendo would have to foot the bill on another localization effort to get a an old Square Enix RPG over huh?

Most likely imo.

This. I mean, I love the series, but it's hard to overlook the jank in SoM and SD3. Also, both are practically unfinished games: SoM just puts its entire story on hold between getting the dragon and the Sunken City (because they had to cut out all of that stuff due to cartridge size limitations and the game having originally been planned for the Snes CD add-on). And the second half of SD3 is basically a glorified boss rush with no story development. All these things just don't hold up well in retrospect.

Still, there is just something very charming and unique about the look and the atmosphere of those two games, so a proper remake that got rid of all the jank (and maybe expanded on the weaker parts of the games) and/or a proper new entry (i.e. not the kind of half-assed experimental stuff that they tried after SD3) would be great.

Ironically, I think that the Gameboy title holds up best of the three, though they could have at least included the (excellent) iOS/Android/Vita remake that came out last year.

120v

they kinda did that with Seiken Densetsu 4 ... shit sucked

in the right hands a "modern take" would be fine i guess. but i hope they go back to the basics with SD5, assuming it happens.

Give seiken densetsu to p*, they can handle a modern take. Or let arc sys go all animay and give it the hard corps treatment.

playXray

caveat is Secret of Mana was pretty huge in the west, for a pre-FF7 jrpg. so i wouldn't peg its chances at non-existent

Not just my first 'Final Fantasy family' game but my first ever RPG. In fact, it may have been the first FF game to ever be released in the UK.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

To be fair, warts and all they still fare better than FFXV combat...

MrT-Tar

I'm not sure if I'm being over-optimistic, but I think this has around about a 40% chance of being localised. I'll buy it day 1 if it does, I've never got round to playing either the original game, or a fan translation of Seiken Densetsu 3.

Thinking about it, S-E localised the DS port of Front Mission for the US (but not Europe) and that's a far more niche game that Seiken Densetsu 3. This also has the bonus of having Secret of Mana which is reasonably well known among enthusiasts in the West.

Yazuka

As so many other here I sure hope it does get localized, I've never had a chance to play any of these titles so I would get them in a heartbeat.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I preordered it but I suspect its going to be a dry as fuck town simulator

Legend of Mana was as much management sim as I ever wanted to do in a game

The Legend guys released their own Mana-style game on mobile recently--it's called Egglia, it's a one-time purchase with no microtransactions and it's coming out in English later this year.

http://egglia.jp/

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ah didn't notice that, sorry. Still a bit confused though. Is there a version of Mystic Quest/FFA in this collection?

Sure, Seiken Densetsu 1 is Mystic Quest / Final Fantasy Adventure. It's in this collection along with Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 (which nevert got an official English release).

taoofjord

looks awesome. I really hope this comes out in the US. I'd especially love a retail release with some not physical extras (manual, please!)

Waji

I don't know, I like Seiken 2 (and probably 3 too) battles more than KH2.

Top Bottom