• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Feep

Banned
toonhead2 said:
One thing that puzzles me about the post 217 artwork (besides the time machine) is that Maxwell is riding a T-rex, and from the videos it is a hostile creature. Its been said that Maxwell can only ride animals that are not hostile, so is there a way we can somehow ride the T-rex in the game? I'm guessing Feep or Jackson can answer this one.
I didn't ride a T-Rex. I'm not really sure what type it was; I don't know my dinosaurs. Still, for artistic liberty, I think a T-Rex is the most badass. = D

Lovechild

Neo Member
Feep said:
I didn't ride a T-Rex.

house+of+cards+falling.jpg

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
I found a message board post from back in June

it's funny because of what a complete lie it is

Was talking with a guy who had an early build of the game the other day.
We were thinking up words to try and this is what we got.

Pyramid Head - Man with a pyramid for a head.
G-Man - FBI agent
Mr.ds - Object not found.
Spiderman - Man with a spider head
xbox - Green box with a big black X on it
Tim Curry - Object not found.
Muppet - Spawns a puppet
Megatron - Object not found.
Diablo - Spawns the devil.
Sam Rami - Object not found.
NO GAEMS - Object not found.
Duke Nukem - Spawns an olde-timey king with a nuke.
Emo - Did you mean Emotion?
Pin Head - Object not found.
God Hand - Object not found.
louis - Object not found.
Boomer - Spawns an old person
Weeaboo - Spawns an anime girl.

Super zombie - Bahaha. Spawns a zombie with a cape.
Catzilla - Spawns a big cat on its' hind legs.
Godzilla - Spawns a big God.
Starite - Spawns a robotic starite. Just letting you guys know, all of the items you can 'create' are kind of duplications of the real objects. They work exactly as the real ones with the exception of a starite but they have little screws in them.
zyzzyva - Object not found. I'll try to get them to add this in.
Mario - Object not found.
Luigi - Object not found.

Catapult - Spawns a catapult. I put a cat in it and used it and it worked, haha
Minigun - Spawns a minigun. Works as expected.
Dentures - Spawns fake teeth.
Paradox - Nothing, but they told me they were working on the whole "universe destroying" objects, they're supposed to play cool animations of the entire world getting sucked into a vortex. You have to restart the DS to get back into the game. It warns you before you can create it, though.
Genocide - Object not found

Atom bomb
Ellipse
Treadmill
Super nova
Gravity
Explosion
Toupee
Shrink Ray
Zombie Clown
Window
Wallet
Ant
Sunflower
Jetpack
Pogo Stick
Chessboard
Rainbow
Leviathan

And crowbar gives you a half life 2 suit. Go figure.

All work

This game is going to be great.

Oh and if zyzzyva is in there.

Thank me.

toonhead2

Neo Member
Feep said:
I didn't ride a T-Rex. I'm not really sure what type it was; I don't know my dinosaurs. Still, for artistic liberty, I think a T-Rex is the most badass. = D

Blizzard said:
Post 217 never even said he rode a T-Rex. :) The time machine doesn't look the same either. The official artist just made his own impression poster, and it looks pretty cool.

That's just it the art is cool and many people would try to replicate it. I guess I'll use a stego instead :D

KScorp

Tntnnbltn said:
No, that's just a hazmat suit. It was put on Maxwell before the crowbar. (It is not shown on video.) At least, that's what I believe was the conclusion. I'm too lazy to find where it was stated. (Found it: Jackson said it.)

But many of the other words seem plausible. I'm fairly sure there is no copyright infringement if the words don't spawn the copyrighted item. "Spiderman" spawning a man with a spider's head? That should work. "Duke Nukem"? Nothing wrong with having that name.

But the catapult launching a cat? I believe that was confirmed not to work, although a seesaw, anvil, and a cat did to some extent.

.... At this point, I'm not going to believe what that post stated. It seems it is well fabricated to the point it isn't a blatant lie, but questions arise. I wouldn't be surprised if these things were indeed in Scribblenauts. After all, it is full of Easter eggs.

Self-imposed media-blackout until the 15th has begun.

Sad to see some people already downtalking the game, but doesn't matter to me, cause I'll be enjoying the hell out of this.

Thanks for all the information, Jackson. I look forward to 5th Cell's continuing projects.

razdor2k

Banned
Hey Jacky ( Jackson ), I have posted your results on other forums that im active aswell and more and more people got hyped because of that, maybe can you give us more statistics about scribblenauts getting sold?

Spwn

Lovechild said:
(about the Northern European version)
My local game dealer says the game will feature all the nordic languages + english, so I guess I only need to buy one copy. I'm guessing the same would go for the other regions as well, if this in fact is a fact.

And supposedly the nordic languages aren't included the version being sold in Amazon and Play.com. That means I have to pay 40-50€ for the game in Finland and that's waaaaay too much. I'll rather buy the game without Finnish if it saves me 20€.

Lovechild

Neo Member
Speaking of different versions in different regions, pricing and whatnot:

A pretty cool thing happened here to us swedes about a month ago when Martin Lindell, who's a representative at Swedish Games Industry (which is basically an organization representing the business end of the swedish games industry...) went on twitter about Scribblenauts:
090701_twitter_martinlindel.gif

to which Gameshop (a swedish online game shop) two hours later replied:
090701_twitter_gameshop.gif

(Which translates to 23 and 38 usd.) And our minds were blown over here. Getting to preorder Scribblenauts for only 38 dollars?! Yaay! Yeah, that's an extremely nice price for us. Usually I buy all my DS games from vg+ 'cause that means I'm getting the game for like half the price compared to that in our swedish stores. But this is just awesome, since, as I mentioned earlier, Scribblenauts is a game I believe is best experienced in one's own native tongue.

Spwn said:
That means I have to pay 40-50€ for the game in Finland and that's waaaaay too much. I'll rather buy the game without Finnish if it saves me 20€.
I don't know if you read swedish (many finnish people do..?) but Gameshop ships outside of Sweden too so you could order from there and get it for basically the same price as if you ordered it from the americas, with Finnish! (5€ shipping fee.)

No word on the rooster hat to comfort us up here in this northern climate though. :(

razdor2k

Banned
Feep said:

of course you haven't. if you did that would be unrealistic would it? :p oh oh... wait, you talk about scribblenauts right? :p ( Epic Win = epic win + #217 )

But both of those guys are common and have actions other than "fear _________". ONM already confirmed MISANTHROPE and COULROPHOBE aren't in the game, even though the former is pretty common.

KScorp

SirPenguin said:
I doubt we'll see any sort of ______phobe in the game unless it's really common
Yes, that was one of the things I wanted to know. There are so many, and since the team was delving into "specifics", I wanted to know just how specific they'll get.

I'm also going to suggest MAILMAN, MAIL, and DOG. Delivery people were in question when MILKMAN appeared to be a normal man. Also, I want to be entertained.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see there being a problem with most common fears in the game.
We already know that there is a behavior editor, in which you can make AI afraid of an object. Maybe when you ask for X-phobe, it creates a character with the behavior trait: X = afraid of.

KScorp

n8BitMan said:
I don't see there being a problem with most common fears in the game.
We already know that there is a behavior editor, in which you can make AI afraid of an object. Maybe when you ask for X-phobe, it creates a character with the behavior trait: X = afraid of.
Objectnaut revolves around specific traits, such as small rooms, colors, numbers, and various other characteristics. I doubt that Objectnaut covers all of these things, so implementing even some of the more common fears may be a problem.

What's more, some fears have already been confirmed not to be in. This may be different in the official release, but it's hard to say.

But yes, with the behavior editor, you can create an x-phobe, but as far as we know this only lasts for the duration of your level. I doubt they have a full-fledged Object Creator.

Interesting new level, though I wonder if there's something we're missing. Simply finding a way to bring 3 people from hell to heaven sounds very easy.

Otherwise, good video. I like that heaven and hell ARE in the game. I also like that once given flight the AI knows where to go. Neat touch

GDGF

Soothsayer
KScorp said:
Saw that just now and this is me: 0_0

By the way, I must have missed out on some internet meme... why do dingos eat babies?

Some lady claimed a dingo ate her baby when it disapperared in austraila in 1980 or something.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Heh, loled at the dingo and the baby.
And, as always, impressed by the depth of the game, like using a defibrillator and wires to make a zombie.

I have to wonder if, when people try these things out during Jackson's interviews, he ever has apprehension weather it'll work or not. Is there a nagging "oh man, did we cover that. I hope we covered that"?

jdogmoney

TelemachusD said:
You should get something too. 5th Cell could send you a framed Post 217 artwork signed by the team. The amount of hype your one post generated for the game was amazing.

Haha, it's still working. I paraphrased the post and got a Gamestop employee interested in the game.

Also, I'm looking forward to the rooster hat. Hope it fits. On my
gigantic
head.

KScorp

It seems the hype train has gotten so massive that it's starting to collapse in on itself. Many people don't want new info anymore because so much has already been given out. Even this thread is starting to slow down.

Weather that's a good or bad thing is up to opinion. But I can't wait to see the Official Scribblenauts Thread when it comes out...

Top Bottom