• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

this is even worse than the DRM issue. Before they were scumbags but now they are liars too.
This is what pisses me off. I get MS is a business, and if they feel they need to roll out anti consumer DRM, I can decide if it bothers me enough to not purchase their console. But to mislead people into thinking there was a 'Family Plan™' when it was just a short demo of the game? That's pretty damn insulting.

I suspected there was a catch (though I had no idea what it would be), but it sure wasn't as bad as this.

SRTtoZ

Remember when MS said you could log into your account at your friends house and DL/play the game? Then when you leave, your friend has a chance to just buy it since its already installed. Why would a 'friend' need to buy it when there was the family share plan all along? This all makes sense now.

Hale-XF11

This whole thing is such a clusterfuck. I think I'm likely gonna wait things out once the new consoles are released to see what other bullshit is unveiled.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And Microsoft was happy to deceive the press and in effect the people with this policy. There were no corrections or statements about the 60 minute trials. They fucking lied to everyone and let the press continue to spread the lie.

This the ultimate kicker. Who in their right mind wants to come in here or even bastion this kind of practice? You know when we would have found out about this "awesome" feature? When the system shipped and folks would just have to invest in the system to find out.

How many misleading's or outright false truths has MSFT exposed themselves to here?

The could have just been simple and been about as forthcoming as Sony with PS4 but they took this as far as it went and basically expect people to just give them money now. I hope some on here, even the most staunch supporters, can have some common sense and not support this level of deception. I suspect this isn't even the depths of the stupidity we would have to deal with on Xbone too.

Sony was held accountable for their arrogance and 599.99 and this deal here with MSFT is worse than that to me. There were far worse implications for the consumer and on top of this, we were walking on egg shells whenever we wanted clarity to these stupid policies to begin with.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
CBOAT has continued to post a lot of important Xbox One information in a cryptic way so as to make it harder for search engines to find and even less likely for news site to steal the info and report on it. Also to disguise any chance of identifying him through a writing style.

Information has included game reveals, the DRM policy specifics, CPU/GPU speed/yield issues, and a whole host of other things that have all 100% came true, in spite of people challenging him.

Only 99.9%, actually.
He thought the Halo 5 trailer was Prince of Persia, which was an easy mistake to make if you didn't see the whole thing.

Garjon

Something doesn't make sense here, though. Now that the Xbox One supposedly has no more DRM, what's the point in removing such a feature? It's just a one hour demo, not the full game.

Possibly to make it seem like the DRM XB1 was always worth it? Anyway, they ARE implementing it, it seems. It just won't be available at launch.

Ranger X

So people really believed that Microsoft (lol, serious, MICROSOFT) would have pull off that full sharing with 10 peeps? I like how gullible many gamers are. When its too good, be wary. And especially when its from a business that wanted to treat your physical purchases as digital goods.

Is this what cboat meant when he said drm was worse than we thought, hinting at an announcement at gamescom?

honestly? No. i think there was more shit coming that we never got wind of. This was just the ONE, POTENTIALLY POSITIVE feature of the console, desperately spun wildly out of proportion to what it actually was in an attempt at damage control, creating a PR nightmare for Microsoft that imploded the entire DRM setup.

Spongebob

Banned
This was the kind of restriction that I expected.

rkRuNIh.jpg
The guy has no idea what he's talking about.

So people really believed that Microsoft (lol, serious, MICROSOFT) would have pull off that full sharing with 10 peeps? I like how gullible many gamers are. When its too good, be wary. And especially when its from a business that wanted to treat your physical purchases as digital goods.

Never made many sense, love how some people was arguing it actually games would sold much better.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

It's seriously kind of funny. People even wrote entire articles about it! Crazytown. Some of the people on the wrong side of all the bone revelations are starting to sound like birthers scampering to cling to anything.

Zaventem

You are either joking or the favourite consumer of every corporation ever.

No he's not i've noticed some people actually believed this. Some examples.

This fucking sucks!

No more sharing
No more installing and not needing the disc
No more instant game switching

Thank a lot internet rage, you suck.

Now I have to choose between buying everything digitally so I don't need disc or I have to buy discs if I want to share games with my family which I'll likely either never get back or I'll get it back with scratches and fingerprints.

Really disappointed right now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65072761&postcount=1

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65073896&postcount=17

Darknight

Would have still been a nice feature. I was more excited for ability to play my games without the disc.

Now I'm going to have to double dip.

I'm already getting two copies of Destiny. One for my PS4 (gotta have that exclusive content) and another for my One (which will be my primary console). Now I'm going to have to buy the digital version on Xbox One, so I can keep my game disc in pristine condition.

That's $180.

Then you know stores are going to have exclusive bonuses and collector's editions. Gotta get those too.

Its your money but you make no sense.

Buy your shit digital day1. Dont have to swap disks no more. End of your misery.

You realize that before XB180, that pristine disk that you activated on your XB1 would be a paperweight with a game case. It would hold no value. So you'd like that [DRM] just to have an empty box with some artwork?

I have a solution. Buy the game digitally on XB180 and then buy the empty case w/ artwork on ebay for $5 and place an empty DVD-R inside and be done with it.

Zukuu

Banned
there weren’t many models of this system already in the wild other than Sony’s horrendous game sharing implementation, but it was clear their approach (if one could call it that) was not the way to go.

Da fuq is he talking about? You have that "full game demo trial" mode already for PS+...
And you can share any of your games (and game simultaneously) already, as long as your account was on your friends PS3. that is way better than any of MS ideas for the one or xbl.

Chaos17

I wonder if we will have others sources about this.
Ain't doubting anyhting.

Only 99.9%, actually.
He thought the Halo 5 trailer was Prince of Persia, which was an easy mistake to make if you didn't see the whole thing.
So you're telling that guy made only one mistake so far.
Kinda impressing, imo.

DMeisterJ

Banned
It was pretty clear that it wasn't going to be the ability to buy one game and have ten people play it based off of one purchase. Publishers would have never went for that. The fact that it amounted to little more than PS+ game trials isn't too surprising to me at all.

Sean*O

Next up: Demos were to be removed from Xbox Live to make the Family Share plan more appealing.

I swear it wouldn't surprise me.

Its your money but you make no sense.

Buy your shit digital day1. Dont have to swap disks no more. End of your misery.

You realize that before XB180, that pristine disk that you activated on your XB1 would be a paperweight with a game case. It would hold no value. So you'd like that [DRM] just to have an empty box with some artwork?

I have a solution. Buy the game digitally on XB180 and then buy the empty case w/ artwork on ebay for $5 and place an empty DVD-R inside and be done with it.

No it wouldn't. Let's definitely shit on Microsoft for their shitty policies, but at least let's do it accurately.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't know why people seriously thought that they would try and reduce the usage of used games, but then let 10 people all have access to the same library of games. It would literally destroy a ton of publishers. There was always going to be some type of limit. It was never going to be a free game buffet.

Satchel

Banned
This is a pretty big deal. Really takes the air out of the "lost feature" argument.

Pretty much.

I'm truly amazed at how Microsoft were in the box seat coming off the 360 to have dominated next Gen had they made the right moves, to going in the opposite direction and handing next Gen to Sony on a platter.

Sony hasn't had to do a thing. If anything, Sony made Playstation worse by paywalling MP, but because Microsoft have fucked up so hard, no one except Maddox noticed.

Boss Man

Are we going to pretend like people didn't buy into this now?

"Oh man, they sure got me. I'm glad they pulled out!"

nib95

Banned
Anyone with some common sense could have guessed the deal would be a lot worse than initially advertised. This is Microsoft after all. I feel sorry for those who were naive enough to think otherwise.

In any case, gamers, we really have dodged a bullet. But it will take a lot more for Microsoft to earn back my respect and trust.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
At the end of the day, Microsoft backtracked. So we won.

But it is a reminder to stay vigilant. :)

PS2 KID

It's funny to think that after all the anti consumer bullshit they foisted on us, that this was the best they could do.

It's even funnier to think that they'll still sell out of Xbones this holiday season. That's fairly what I expect though. Enough people stuck with them through the RROD era that I expect their loyalists to do the same for them next gen.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
When I knew it was one game shared amongst 10 people with only one being allowed to play at any given time, I wasn't impressed.

Now that it turns out it was just a glorified hour long demo? I couldn't care less about losing this "feature".

markot

Banned
I cant believe that people thought, that companies with a problem with used game sales, would be fine and dandy with letting one purchase be used by 10 people at the same time...

I mean, given the choice, everyone who makes games would go 'are you crazy?! Keep used game sales but if you do this shit we will never ever ever ever make games for you.'

Top Bottom