• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

neogafjurassicbannerv0oij.png

This thread is for general discussion of the Jurassic Park franchise, past present and future. The follow-up to Jurassic World has been announced for a June 22, 2018 release and there are plans for something of a “universe” following the huge success of Jurassic World. As such, there will be a lot to talk about going forward with new content coming as early as next year. In the meantime, open discussion for the series as a whole is encouraged.

One final but very important note: this thread is completely open to spoilers for all four movies.

4xj04mxyaksux.png

Paleontologists Alan Grant (Sam Neill) and Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern) and mathematician Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) are among a select group chosen to tour an island theme park populated by dinosaurs created from prehistoric DNA. While the park's mastermind, billionaire John Hammond (Richard Attenborough), assures everyone that the facility is safe, they find out otherwise when various ferocious predators break free and go on the hunt.
  • Directed by Steven Spielberg, written by David Koepp, original score by John Williams
  • Stars Ian Malcolm, Sam Neill as Dr. Alan Grant, Laura Dern as Dr. Ellie Sattler, Richard Attenborough as John Hammond, B.D. Wong as Dr. Henry Wu, Joseph Mazzello as Tim Murphy, Ariana Richards as Lex Murphy
  • Featured dinosaurs: Velociraptor, Gallimimus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Brachiosaur, Triceratops, Dilophosaurus
  • Jurassic Park's budget was $65 million.
"You know the first... attraction I ever built when I came down south from Scotland? It was a flea circus. "Petticoat Lane." Really quite wonderful. We had a wee trapeze, and a merry-go... carousel and a seesaw. They all moved, motorized of course, but people would say they could see the fleas. "Oh, I see the fleas, mummy! Can't you see the fleas?" Clown fleas and high wire fleas and fleas on parade... But with this place, I wanted to show them something that wasn't an illusion. Something that was real, something that they could see and touch. An aim... not devoid of merit." - John Hammond

az1jee4za5sba.png

John Hammond (Richard Attenborough) summons chaos theorist Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) to his home with some startling information -- while nearly everything at his Jurassic Park had been destroyed, his engineers happened to have a second site, where other dinosaurs were kept in hiding. It seems the dinosaurs on the second island are alive and well and even breeding; and Hammond wants Malcolm to observe and document the reptiles before Hammond's financiers can get to them.
  • Directed by Steven Spielberg, written by David Koepp, original score by John Williams
  • Stars Ian Malcolm, Julianne Moore as Dr. Sarah Harding, Vince Vaughn as Nick van Owen, Pete Postlethwaite as Roland Tembo, Arliss Howard as Peter Ludlow, Vanessa Chester as Kelly Curtis, and Richard Attenborough as John Hammond
  • Featured dinosaurs: Procompsognathus, Stegosaurus, Tyrannosaurus Rex (x2), Triceratops, Velociraptor
  • The film originally ended with an aerial battle on Isla Sorna involving pteranodons, but Spielberg suggested the T-Rex be loose in the city. As such, the only pteranodon appearance is during the final shot of the film. The Stegosaurus was also included by popular demand.

"Peter, if you want me to run your little camping trip, there are two conditions: first, I'm in charge, and when I'm not around, Dieter is. All you have to do is sign the checks, tell us we're doing a good job, and open your case of scotch when we have a good day. Second condition: my fee? You can keep it. All I want in return for my services is the right to hunt one of the Tyrannosaurs. A male, a buck only. How and when is my business. Now if you don't like either of those conditions, you're on your own. So go ahead, set up base camp right here, or in a swamp, or in the middle of a Rex nest for all I care. But I've been on too many safaris with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas, okay?" - strafer

9yfuthfec6shc.png

After being persuaded by a wealthy businessman to conduct an aerial tour of Isla Sorna, InGen's second site for a failed Jurassic Park experiment, Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill) discovers the true reason for his invitation. A tragic accident maroons the party of seven, and they must attempt to escape with their lives.
  • Directed by Joe Johnston, written by Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, original score composed by Don Davis
  • Stars Ian Malcolm's book, Sam Neill as Dr. Alan Grant, William H. Macy as Paul Kirby, Tea Leoni as Amanda Kirby, Trevor Morgan as Eric Kirby, Alessandro Nivola as Billy Brennan
  • Featured dinosaurs: Spinosaurus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Velociraptor, Ankylosaurus, Pteranodon, Carnotaurus, Procompsognathus
  • The film's second script involved Pteranodon escaping from Isla Sorna and causing a spate of mysterious killings on the mainland, which was to be investigated by Alan Grant and a number of other characters including Billy Brennan, a naturalist named Simone, a tough military attaché, wealthy Paul Roby, and Roby's teenage son Miles.
"Alan." - PTSD Velociraptor Manifestation

zu3lrnjo9wsl4.png

Located off the coast of Costa Rica, the Jurassic World luxury resort provides a habitat for an array of genetically engineered dinosaurs, including the vicious and intelligent Indominus rex. When the massive creature escapes, it sets off a chain reaction that causes the other dinos to run amok. Now, it's up to a former military man and animal expert (Chris Pratt) to use his special skills to save two young brothers and the rest of the tourists from an all-out, prehistoric assault.
  • Directed by Colin Trevorrow, written by Colin Trevorrow, Derek Connolly, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, original score composed by Michael Giacchino
  • Stars Ian Malcolm's book, Chris Pratt as Owen Grady, Bryce Dallas Howard as Claire Dearing, Vincent D'Onofrio as Vic Hoskins, Irrfan Khan as Simon Masrani, Ty Simpkins as Gray Mitchell, Nick Robinson as Zach Mitchell, B.D. Wong as Dr. Henry Wu, Matty Cardarople as the Gyrosphere Operator, and Jake Johnson as Lowery
  • Featured dinosaurs: Indominus Rex, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Velociraptor, Mosasaurus, Apatosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Pteranodon, Dimorphodon
  • Jurassic World went through over ten years of concepts and revisions with several scripts written by many different writers, the first of which being Josh Sayles who pitched a draft involving a character named Nick that would go to Isla Nublar to retrieve the Barbasol can and deliver it to InGen, which led to the creation of trained dinosaurs that could use weapons. Despite this version not being used, it is easy to see how loose remnants of this script would find their way into the final film.
  • The Indominus Rex's scientific name, mentioned by Claire in the film, is Archaeornithomimus.
"Enough about cost! John Hammond entrusted me with his dying wish and not once did he mention profits. Spared no expense, he used to say. Don't forget why we built this place, Claire. Jurassic World exists to remind us how very small we are, how new. You can't put a price on that. Now please -- we're flying!" - Simon Masrani

NUv2pQc.jpg

On June 22, 2017, one year before theatrical debut, the sequel to Jurassic World gets a full title and logo: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
  • Directed by J.A. Bayona, written by Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly, original score composed by Michael Giacchino
  • Stars Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, James Cromwell, B.D. Wong, Toby Jones, Rafe Spall, and Jeff Goldblum
  • They envisioned a trilogy from the very beginning, laying the groundwork for the sequels in Jurassic World.
  • Jurassic World was based on Ian Malcolms quote "I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it." hence the corporate atmosphere, product placement and more.
  • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is based upon Dr. Grants quote "The world has just changed so radically, and we're all running to catch up. Dinosaurs and man, two species separated by 65 million years of evolution have just been suddenly thrown back into the mix together. How can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?"
  • Departing from the parks and islands 'We've seen people chased by dinosaurs on the islands, it's time to explore new things and places'
  • It's about extraordinary things happening in our world. References alien invasion movies and how they focus on "What would happen, what would we do?"
  • Not about going bigger in scale, but bigger with the story and further exploring our relationship with animals, dinosaurs and the impact of bringing the animals back to life.
  • References the concept of 'Apple vs PC' again, as in the possibility of two manufacturers of Dinosaurs in the future.
  • Claire and Owen tied deeply to the universe going forward, both have 'opened Pandora's Box' in some regard and are 'responsible' for things to come.
  • They now have free reign in creating the films and expanding the universe. There were certain parameters for Jurassic World, but now the sky is the limit.

jpnovelsunuo6.png

Jurassic Park is a 1990 science fiction novel written by Michael Crichton, divided into seven sections (iterations). Often considered a cautionary tale on unconsidered biological tinkering in the same spirit as Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, it uses the metaphorical collapse of an amusement park showcasing genetically recreated dinosaurs to illustrate the mathematical concept of chaos theory and its philosophical implications. A sequel titled The Lost World, also written by Crichton, was published in 1995. In 1997, both novels were re-published as a single book titled Michael Crichton's Jurassic World, unrelated to the film of the same name

• The novel began as Crichton conceived a screenplay about a graduate student who recreates a dinosaur in 1983. Eventually, given his reasoning that genetic research is expensive and "there is no pressing need to create a dinosaur", Crichton concluded that it would emerge from a "desire to entertain", leading to a wildlife park of extinct animals. Originally it was told from the point of view of a child, but Crichton changed it as everyone who read the draft felt it would be better if told by an adult.

Information from Wikipedia.

60d-1i3jaass2.png

Hybrids!? Don't freak out, this is probably a merchandising thing only, and it's not even confirmed. However, the evidence is stacking up:
So, we'll probably get some toys, comics and stuff in vein. This is not indicative of the direction of the Jurassic World sequel!

Special thanks to Demoncarnotaur/ChrisLikesDinos and Hybrids logo by JurassicJune.

Tizoc

My nephews really liked the movie and wanted to watch JP again when they visited the other day.
Jurrasic Park movie is one of the GOAT, good pacing, good characters, and Jeff Goldblum was terrific in it.

Fathead

How many assistants get swallowed alive in the Jurassic World sequel? This is the most pressing question to be answered.

Ah yes, this is nice. Besides the movies and the books, and prior to the games section that will be added to the OP, these are my favorite games in the franchise.

SNES, Jurassic Park
Main_gates_SNES.gif

Current Gen, Lego JP World
qbwtcp31qso63de3pfns.gif

Veelk

Banned
Seems like a pretty early time to start hyping up for sequels, but I guess we're living in a post Marvel world now.

You know, the I-rex was pretty realistic for a hybrid all things considered. It was a more gnarly looking T-rex with larger arms. I remember them saying in an interview they tried to make it not look like a dragon, and they kind of did anyway, but a realistic looking dragon if dinosaurs are back in the world. Anyway, my point is I wonder how crazy they're going to get with the hybrid concepts. Like, are we going to get flying raptors or maybe triceratoops with way, way more horns and stuff.

I noted in the OP that spoilers are allowed for all four movies. Jurassic World has been out in theaters for months and came out digitally today. I see no reason to require spoiler tags unless you guys think otherwise, in which an adjustment can be made to the rules.

Seems like a pretty early time to start hyping up for sequels, but I guess we're living in a post Marvel world now.

It's mainly a general thread that isn't specifically focused on sequel hype, but I guess people can talk about that too.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I still need to pick up the comic anthologies at some point, but the prices were on the higher end last I looked.

Veelk

Banned
It's mainly a general thread that isn't specifically focused on sequel hype, but I guess people can talk about that too.

Can we talk about other dinosaur related franchises that aren't renown enough to get widespread attention?

Cuz I'm currently reading Dinosaur Lords by Victor Milan and it is pretty good so far.

My kind of thread, subbing. Really wish Jurassic Park would get some sort of animated show, I know it came really close to getting one after the first film, and I believe it also almost got one based around the Chaos Effect toy line.

Have posted this before, but here is my Jurassic Park collection, though the pictures are a bit outdated now. Also planning on building a JP Jeep replica next summer when I finish up school.

Any Jurassic toy collectors here?

stompstrike2t4s08.png

I'm curious what people think of the new items. Overall, the lines is fairly lackluster, but the are a few good ones out there.

Any Jurassic toy collectors here?

I'm curious what people think of the new items. Overall, the lines is fairly lackluster, but the are a few good ones out there.

Previous post has my toy collection (minus all the Jurassic World stuff I have now). Best thing to come out of Hasbro's line was the Dilo, Mosasaurus, Big Indominus, and the Ceratosaurus. Lego really saved it for me, those sets are great...hope we get more. Those two 2013 Hasbro sets (allosaurus, pachyrhino) really got my hopes up for Jurassic World toys...what a let down.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
We must power rank the movies and then argue over it.

JP>JW>TLW>JP3
Fixed that for your.

Man, these movies were such a big part of my childhood. Was and am a huge Dinosaur fan ever since. Got even the shitty TLW game on PlayStation back in the days. God, I wish someone would make a proper dinosaur game again.

Previous post has my toy collection (minus all the Jurassic World stuff I have now). Best thing to come out of Hasbro's line was the Dilo, Mosasaurus, Big Indominus, and the Ceratosaurus. Lego really saved it for me, those sets are great...hope we get more. Those two 2013 Hasbro sets (allosaurus, pachyrhino) really got my hopes up for Jurassic World toys...what a let down.

What kills me, is there were some half decent toys planned at a point:

From the JW Blu-ray.. there isn't much, but we do get a look at the unreleased '4x4 Vehicle' 'Helicopter' 'red raptor' and what seems to be a green B&B/Growler Mosasaurus(?):

v1XfiOv.png

1gyYeyz.png

Here's a closer look at the Raptor Growler:

tWsbuxH.png

If you're wondering why it looked so different, the Raptors in early development sported a drastically different design:

jB3p901.jpg

Also, here's the early big I-Rex prototype:

I really hope we get 3 3/4" humans and vehicles in the future. Owen + Motorcycle set would be great, as would numerous other opportunities.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a closer look at the Raptor Growler:

tWsbuxH.png

If you're wondering why it looked so different, the Raptors in early development sported a drastically different design:

jB3p901.jpg

The toy looks awesome! Too bad. I do like those early designs as an alternative, but happy with what we got in the end.

Not sure if you wanted a thread header, or if you were still gonna do that yourself, but I whipped one up in the style of the other banners I did:

neogafjurassicbannerv0oij.png

The toy looks awesome! Too bad. I do like those early designs as an alternative, but happy with what we got in the end.

I just wish they got certain things right, like actually making Blues stripe... blue. But instead they have based the paint apps on the early renders when she had a black stripe. To be fair, I believe it's because thats the render Universal has handed over to licensees. But it's frustrating.

Also, the damn screw holes.

Amalthea

Banned
My crystal ball of cynism tells me that the JW Hybrids line is just going to be leftover JW toys sawed apart and glued back together with different parts.

Btw.
Anybody noticed how the Troodons in Lego JW The Game had the same color scheme as in the Telltale JP game?

judhudson

Oooohhh, I'll use this thread to post updates on my JP-29 Jeep restoration!

I decided after seeing Jurassic World that I wanted to make a Jurassic Park Jeep. So back in July I bought this:

11752173_10207296342426430_9218538599379811362_n.jpg

10987491_10207340533811187_6603797217403723663_o.jpg

Over the past few months, I gutted it and removed the inaccurate doors / hardtop / wheels and I am slowly piecing it back to gether after painting:

11998952_10207725687319784_5113755541332396627_n.jpg

12038144_10207868738415972_4224012353106191101_n.jpg

12039387_10207876932900829_6766906852261234931_n.jpg

As of now, I am working on painting the doors tan, working on the mirrors, then will get to the windshield and the interior / soft top :D

Wheels will be painted last.

I'll do it this way:

1. Jurassic Park (10)
2. The Lost World (5)
3. Jurassic Park 3 (7)
4. Jurassic World (10)

And those scores are franchise-contextual, not really compared to other movies or whatever if that makes sense. I'm in my 30's so Jurassic World wasn't ever going to do to me what the original did when I was exactly 10, but... a lot of it kind of did, and it was exactly what I wanted to see in a sequel that 2 and 3 failed to do. I would also say the last 30 minutes are up there with the best.

Thanks for the banner DC, looks great! I was going to do one, but I love the Indominus/gyrosphere art, so it'll stay.

Brandon, did you forget my thread? :(

Demoncarnotaur came to me with the thread idea last night but wanted me to make the thread, I thought it sounded like a good, fun idea and no... I don't really keep a memory bank of GAF threads :p

I figured something was going to backfire, which was why I was a little hesitant to go with it at first. Sorry. If you/mods think this thread is in poor judgment as one already exists, I don't have a problem with a lockdown.

brandonhawk? or imposter?

Don't get the reference =\

KevinG

Loveley OT. Jurassic Park is my favorite movie of all time. I also loved Jurassic World.

Gonna get cozy in here.

Top Bottom