• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey(2017) is 50% off on Steam until August 29th.

I can't recommend it enough. It's so good I wish I could experience it for the first time again. :p

Be aware native controller support was removed in the last 1.05 patch.

(There is an user made fix using a modified dll btw)

They haven't patched it back in yet? I was going to go for another playthrough this weekend, but I guess not.

Chris R

Probably only going to drop to $30 during the Winter Sale but I'll hold off to grab it then I think.

Really enjoyed what I played of it on my PS4 during a redbox rental, need the KBM controls though :)

Guess it's time to bite. 20 is about what I'd pay for this.

Get fucked Steam
I mean, the game is less than half a year old. 30$ is totally fair, I feel. 22$ feels like a steal at the moment, and I'm definitely biting as well.

Also, as a Steam Controller user, sorry for the Xinput issues, everyone. They should definitely have a toggle in options for this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think important sites have to report the problem. Is surprising how much freedom devs have nowadays with this kind of broken games bullshit.
I'll see if we can issue something on this as it's 100% unacceptable to me.

Azzanadra

Meh, I got this on CDkeys for cheaper than it is here... Steam sales have become jokes when I can get said game for cheaper day one than months/years later on a steam sale.

MaLDo

Thank you! You can talk about the stutttering when using a xbox controller post 1.05 with mouse emulation through Steam controller options so you have your "graphics/performance" topic ;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The game still has native controller support. In my case, at least, it just had to be re-enabled by going into the options menu or changing a graphics setting that reinitialised the game (I'm not sure which served as the trigger). After that, my X1 controller was once again being detected at launch as before.

Edit: To be clear, I don't have the workaround installed, nor do I have Steam's own "Xbox configuration support" enabled.

Regretably someone on a podcast spoiled a major twist in this game recently. And then remarked "spoiler warning" after blurting it out. So yeah. Not super in the mood to play it right now.

Sevenfold

Regretably someone on a podcast spoiled a major twist in this game recently. And then remarked "spoiler warning" after blurting it out. So yeah. Not super in the mood to play it right now.

It's possible that it's from the first half hour of the game if it relates to
finding out where you are.
If that's all it is then don't let it stop you. Shame to miss out.

I'd still strongly recommend the game if you're interested in the System Shock/Deus Ex/Dishonored style of immersive sim gameplay. Prey's story is enough to keep you going, but it's not the game's strong point, and it seemed like most people in the OT pretty much guessed the game's ultimate twist pretty soon after starting the game.

KainXVIII

That's complete BS.

I was planning to jump back in to finish the game since I'm using a Titan Xp now and can enjoy it at native 4K but lack of controller support would mean it's not playable without that fix. :\ I'll go hunt that down, I guess.

Eh, sad to hear that from DF guys. Its FPS game after all with lots of inventory tinkering.
But explains lack of PC versions comparison in some videos, i guess 😌

Sevenfold

Eh, sad to hear that from DF guys. Its FPS game after all with lots of inventory tinkering.

Crikey. If he started playing with a controller and wants to continue the same way the game has indeed been patched to be unplayable. Can't imagine fighting the mimics with a controller but horses for courses.
As for the second sentence. I think it's the choice of games DF cover more than anything. Recently there have been a lot of videos with issues in at least one of the console versions and PC often wins by brute force, leading to an end of video 'best version naturally PC' also I imagine including a single setup and calling it the PC version seems a bit at odds with what DF do.

That said I want more PC content. Also Agents of Mayhem on all platforms please John. There's a lot to go at there and some very nice Nvidia tech.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Eh. The magic of PC gaming is being able to customize your experience to your needs and tastes, not being locked to whatever the developers wanted. If John wants to play Prey with a gamepad, what he's doing is 100% in the spirit of PC gaming. When a developer forces you to use a certain control scheme, or a fixed resolution or framerate, or when you can't choose where to buy your games... that's what goes against the core ideas of PC gaming, not using an "inferior" control scheme over another. For all that I care, he can play the game with the Donkey Konga bongoes. If he likes it, more power to him.

Besides, it's not like there aren't any valid reasons to choose a gamepad that don't fall in the sphere of personal preference. he may be playing on a PC connected to a TV, so a gamepad can be much more confortable than a keyboard and a mouse.

ktroopa

The game still has native controller support. In my case, at least, it just had to be re-enabled by going into the options menu or changing a graphics setting that reinitialised the game (I'm not sure which served as the trigger). After that, my X1 controller was once again being detected at launch as before.

Edit: To be clear, I don't have the workaround installed, nor do I have Steam's own "Xbox configuration support" enabled.

Same here my XBOX ONE pad is working fine after the update. But i dont have rumble feedback, unless I check the Xbox configuration support option in steam. Not sure if this is normal or required.

The only thing I have noticed now is camera stutter which I think someone mentioned in the OT thread. When I circle round a fixed point the camera is not smooth like before and looks like micro stutters :/ something is broken for sure, before it was butter smooth

Rektash

Will this run on my 3570K @ 4.2Ghz + GTX 670?

I am planning to get a new PC next year together with a 4k OLED so I don't feel compelled to upgrade right now to be able to play this. I kinda want to play this but heard nothing but bad things about the ps4 version (I got a ps4pro).

While my pc is pretty old it was in fact able to run Deus Ex: Mankind Divided recently, granted I had to play on like medium settings @ 1080p and only ever got about 30fps.

dark10x

But explains lack of PC versions comparison in some videos, i guess ��
I don't think you get it. I work in front of a monitor all day long and I simply cannot play games in front of that same monitor afterwards. By the end of the day, I don't even want to look at it.

I also prefer using a 4K OLED TV for all gaming as image quality, especially from PC, is pristine and better than any LCD monitor available. I've tried all sorts of solutions for mouse and keyboard in front of the TV and not one of them is acceptable or comfortable. So, yeah, I only play PC games with a gamepad for that reason.

Besides, gamepad controls in Prey were excellent. Inventory management was awesome and it feels just fine. There was no issue there.

PC gaming is all about choice. I don't enjoy sitting in front of a monitor with a mouse and keyboard playing games any longer due to my work. It killed it for me. I also don't really like LCDs for gaming.

I have been bitching on Steam and Bethesda forums for over two weeks about this. Dozens of people have.

Not one word from the developers. Just complete silence about this issue. Check out the Steam forums (go back a few days since the free trial discussions pushed back all relevant conversation). It's insane.

Like, it's to the point that, despite loving these immersive sims, I'm simply never buying an Arkane game again. Not after buying Dishonored 2 and Prey early on and getting fucked because of it.

How do you not make fixing controller support a goddamn priority? How is that something you just avoid addressing or fixing for weeks?

I don't think you get it. I work in front of a monitor all day long and I simply cannot play games in front of that same monitor afterwards. By the end of the day, I don't even want to look at it.

I also prefer using a 4K OLED TV for all gaming as image quality, especially from PC, is pristine and better than any LCD monitor available. I've tried all sorts of solutions for mouse and keyboard in front of the TV and not one of them is acceptable or comfortable. So, yeah, I only play PC games with a gamepad for that reason.

Besides, gamepad controls in Prey were excellent. Inventory management was awesome and it feels just fine. There was no issue there.

PC gaming is all about choice. I don't enjoy sitting in front of a monitor with a mouse and keyboard playing games any longer due to my work. It killed it for me. I also don't really like LCDs for gaming.

Wait, so you're telling me you don't want to be an MLG PRO Prey player? Mouse and keyboard only. gtfo scrub

breadtruck

Oooooo, a demo. Nice.

Honestly, what Ive seen of the game hasnt done anything to make me want to buy it. But a demo could very well change that. Downloading now!

Knurek

Steam Controller seems to be made with you in mind.
(It's really good for FPS games. Not as good as kb+m, but ages above any other pad)

Hey, the same kind of dismissive crap that plagues Steam forums discussion any time the word controller comes up. I'll say the same shit I say there:

I've got a nice-ass keyboard and mouse. I've got a XIM4. I unilaterally prefer keyboard and mouse.

However - I've also got a nice setup in my living room. Surround sound, nice TV, the whole nine yards. My computer is on a rolling desk that I can just shunt into my living room, if I'd like.

So, Prey - this game that doesn't really require the kind of twitch aiming that something like DOOM or Wolfenstein might - I figured, hey, I could play that with a controller.

Even better than that: Before controller support was inexplicably removed, Prey was one of the few games that accepted gamepad and mouse/keyboard control at the same time. You could even set the game to only display controller prompts, all the time.

What this meant for me?

I could wirelessly connect my Dualshock 4 via bluetooth to my computer. I could set gyro to mouse aim and left trigger to activate it. Gyro assist enables something much closer levels of accurate if you're any good with it, and it just plain feels good. I was also able to map many ancillary features (hotkeys for opening specific menus and stuff) to a radial menu. It let me approach this game with a whole new outlook on playing with a controller.

So one day I set up my controls, took me an hour or two, and was set to sit down on my couch the next day to start the game fresh, on my living room setup.

The next day, 1.05 came out and controller support vanished :(

Plesiades

What do you guys mean that all controller support was removed? I finished Prey a few days ago using the Xbox One controller.

That said, it seems that with 1.05 they started using the Steam Controller API, resulting in weird stuff sometimes. For example, I wasn't able to navigate the pause menu with my mouse when the controller was connected. If I'm not mistaken, the API allows you to do stuff like this, so maybe they didn't check all the possible scenarios.

Sami+

Did this game bomb? I bought it on the Bundle Stars sale and only played the first hour but I love it so far. Reminds me of Half-Life 1.

Fwiw this is still a relatively new genre to me. I played a lot of HL1 on my grandpa's PC in Syria way back in the day so this and Wolfenstein TNO both showed me that I'm a lot more nostalgic for PC shooters than I originally thought lol.

dex3108

Did this game bomb? I bought it on the Bundle Stars sale and only played the first hour but I love it so far. Reminds me of Half-Life 1.

Fwiw this is still a relatively new genre to me. I played a lot of HL1 on my grandpa's PC in Syria way back in the day so this and Wolfenstein TNO both showed me that I'm a lot more nostalgic for PC shooters than I originally thought lol.

When you compare it to Agents of Mayham it definitely didn't bombed. But sales are low.

To quote myself from the OT:

It's still there:

preygamecfgtraumaszesjo.jpg

What does the feature do exactly?

Capra

I bought the PS4 port from Amazon last week at $45 and it shipped literally the day before it dropped to $30...

But as someone who was a big fan of System Shock 2 when NightDive ported it years ago and got into Thief 1+2 as a result, I can't say I'm mad. I'm about 6 hours in and Prey feels like coming home to a style of game that died a long time ago in favor of shallow "RPG-lite" shooters. I feel like I should pick up Dishonored next and support Arkane - hearing that Prey didn't do so well in terms of sales really bums me out.

Capra

I don't get it.

I'm pretty certain he meant "you'll get as least as many hours as each dollar you put in." Which is still a silly metric to judge a game's quality on considering we happily pay $15-20 for films we watch for 2 hours but whatevs.

Paragon

That's complete BS.
I was planning to jump back in to finish the game since I'm using a Titan Xp now and can enjoy it at native 4K but lack of controller support would mean it's not playable without that fix. :\ I'll go hunt that down, I guess.
It's not that there's no controller support, it's that XInput appears to have been replaced with Steam Input in the latest version of the game. Previously, both were supported with an option to toggle between the two - though it required you to restart the game.
However - based on some of the responses here, I'm wondering if XInput support is still present when using an Xbox controller, or another controller using an external tool like DS4Windows or Xpadder to emulate an XInput device.
It's possible the issue here is actually that connecting a controller with Steam Input enabled automatically disables the game's XInput support, instead of allowing you to mix the two; e.g. trying to use a DualShock 4 or other DirectInput controller with Steam Input configured to send the game XInput commands.

But as someone who was a big fan of System Shock 2 when NightDive ported it years ago and got into Thief 1+2 as a result, I can't say I'm mad. I'm about 6 hours in and Prey feels like coming home to a style of game that died a long time ago in favor of shallow "RPG-lite" shooters. I feel like I should pick up Dishonored next and support Arkane - hearing that Prey didn't do so well in terms of sales really bums me out.
It's very disappointing that one of the few games which really feels like a modern take on that game design (the "Immersive Sim") is doing so poorly - even relative to Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, which were both disappointing sequels.
Though 2017 has been a very strong year for games, Prey is still sitting at #1 for me thus far.
I've said it before, but I can't think of the last time a game grabbed my attention like Prey did. It's been years since there was a game which I was constantly thinking about in my time away from it, and trying to spend every available moment I had playing it until the game was done.
I know quite a few people it had the same effect on too; mostly people that grew up playing PC games - which I don't think was a coincidence. While you can play it with a controller, it's one of the few multiplatform games which feels "PC first" in its design choices, rather than being built as a "console game".

Even better than that: Before controller support was inexplicably removed, Prey was one of the few games that accepted gamepad and mouse/keyboard control at the same time. You could even set the game to only display controller prompts, all the time.
We've been over this. You need to bind actions to your config, not legacy keys. If you do that, you get analog movement + mouse aim, and it displays the correct controller glyphs automatically rather than Xbox prompts.
I don't know why they appear to have removed XInput support, and Steam Input does not do a good job of handling aiming with an analog stick compared to XInput (it stutters), but it's not like the game doesn't support controllers at all, or needs modding to use one.

Xe4

Banned
Probably my second favorite game of the year, behind Pyre. Definetly worth it, especially I'd you're a fan of immersive sims.

dark10x

Steam Controller seems to be made with you in mind.
(It's really good for FPS games. Not as good as kb+m, but ages above any other pad)
Yeah, I have a Steam controller and do like using it but it's been rather unreliable for me. When I turn it on, half the time the mouse emulation is messed up forced me to power cycle to fix it. Other times, due to my distance from the PC, it's lose connection mid-game for just a second sending the camera into a spasm. Sometimes it recovers, sometimes not.

I like using it a lot but in my current setup it doesn't quite perform reliably. I'd need a USB extender to bring the receiver closer to my seating position, I guess.

My two favourite games of all time are Thief 2 and Deus Ex (I really do need to finish system shock 2 one of these days). Which leaves me wondering how this flew under my radar completely.

Downloaded the demo yesterday, spent 6 hours playing it finding pretty much everything (I didn't get into devries office, screw that lol). Bought it today.

The opening 30mins of the game had me smiling big time, haven't had that reaction from a game in a very long time.

Durante

People always say that and I never get it.

I program in front of a monitor all day and then I game on it too. It's all good fun :p

This game is amazing and anyone on the fence should buy this asap. Can't stop thinking about Prey and it is easily one of my GOTY. Reminded me of Half-Life, Deus Ex and System Shock. Everything is so tightly put together and the details in the world and narrative are amazing. If you like sci-fi and exploration then this is a must play.

The game lets you play how you want and there's so much to see and do with things you won't even pick up on unless you do multiple playthroughs or spoil yourself after completion. They don't make many games like this anymore and more people need to experience this if you like exploration, sci-fi and having multiple options in terms of solutions and play-style.

Veal

It's time to learn to love the steam controller. It seriously takes a lot of the headache out of playing games with a controller. You just have to learn its various intricacies. But once you do...
Edit: already addressed. I'm an idiot!

I tried the demo. PC's too shit to run it at anything above 20-25 FPS or thereabouts (2012 laptop! \o/) but I loved what I played of it, mechanically and design-wise. The only big flaw is something that was evident since the very reveal- the enemies really needed more variety.

The intro was really quite cool, too.

Top Bottom