• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Freedom Fighters

JAQElIT.jpg

INVASION!

It's 2003 and the Soviets are still running the show practically mowing down Europe and forces Britain to become one with Crazy Ivan himself. Liberations continue onwards all the way to the Latin Americas and eventually the US of A. It's up to New York plumber Christopher Stone to lead a band of whoever he can find and fight --

FOR FREEDOM.

You get up to 12 AI partners and either have them stay and defend an area of your choosing or to move the offense forward. So much can be done with those two simple commands and how delicate you and your squad mates are against such an oppressive superpower makes every action you plan all the more rewarding. The screaming "YEAH" after you do ANYTHING heroic is one of my favorites sound bites in a game ever.

The simplicity combined with IO Interactive's level design that still shines with the current iteration of Hitman; Freedom Fighters is such a masterful piece of work. While it ain't perfect, the story is a bit too lean, due to the underdeveloped characters, a bit on the short side and the final act are a bit rough in terms of overall difficulty, but my god that game had style. The whole invasion of USA was something I myself have never seen in a game myself and I'm a sucker for a good underdog story. Having been 10 when the game came out; blew my god damn mind.

Like seriously, the newscasts from this game were incredible.

Not to mention the ability to choose which level you tackle and what order you choose them effects the next level you play afterwards. Or having the choice to simply back out of the current level and go to another one. The choices you have to make and what you need to destroy are also crucial; I only have enough C4 to destroy the bridges to prevent enemies from endlessly respawning in other levels or do I blow up the helicopter that's been on our asses for the past 3 maps. OR I can just farm C4s from this one map that has C4s and make that last base to liberate after I destroy everything. It's a bit hard to explain but man do I love everything about that mechanic.

375662-freedomfighters.jpg

363525-000341s01.jpg

Also still Jesper Kyd's best ever work. It adds so much to the game.

Main Title

March Of The Empire

The Battle For Freedom

Seriously just listen to the entire damn thing.

259101-freedomfighters3.jpg

Now get moving ALL OF YOU.

Rubixcuba

Banned
One of the single most greatest use of AI in any game I've ever played.

The split screen multiplayer was N64 levels of fun.

Campaign was engrossing, and for the time the story was relatively unique. Kind of what Homefront should have been.

Xando

Loved it. Still playing it 1-2 times per year.

Soundtrack and newscasts were awesome

Wish we would get a new game or atleast a remaster for it

Found this on a computer randomly while in college. Spent a good portion of the class playing through this game. Had a absolute blast, I wish more shooters were like this and HL:OP, makes them way more fun.

Why isn't there a sequel? I demand answers why.

From what I can remember, it underperformed and the IP owners, EA, were in full KILL EVERYTHING-mode at that time with the whole Westwood thing. You can put two and two together.

Kane and Lynch was supposed to be the spiritual successor to those squad mechanics and we all know how those games turned out. I'm not really sure how a sequel would be from a gameplay perspective since it was made pre-Gears where every game ever became cover based.

But the whole Russia invading USA angle you have in a game released today would be a political land mine and for a public company like EA to do such a thing, makes every effort on making a sequel just a daunting exercise for everyone involved. But I still want one.
An episodic open-world New York where you have the ability to take certain territories on certain times. Online. Have the game have elusive targets that effect the entire game world.

IO Interactive.....c'mon bruh.

How good is the PC port of this game? I found the xbox version to be pretty great back in the day and I would definitely consider grabbing this.

Footos22

This was a huge surprise in how much I loved it. One of the best game of the time
Shame there was never a follow up

Lulubop

Great campaign and great MP, very well received as well if I remember correctly. Crazy nothing ever came after.

Space_nut

This game! Best squad command controls ever PERIOD

Great story, diverse missions, every decision effected the entire game, music amazing, this game we need a sequel that doesn't change anything better graphics. But keep the art style it's good

plushyp

Amazing game. Must have played it countless number of times back in the day. Wish IO would revisit the franchise...

Would love a remaster of this game. Really thought Homefront might be the spiritual successor to this, shame both games weren't up to the task.

Sense of progression was unmatched for its times. Turning an abandoned subway tunnel into a thriving military home base was one of my greatest gaming experiences

Frankly the Division could learn a thing or two from Freedom Fighters

Ryde3

I want a sequel to this game more than any other game ever. It was so ahead of it's time, fucking love it.

The squads, the multiple approaches, the alternate history storyline, the base building - just a gem.

One of my favourite games of all time. I bought it on the Gamecube originally. I still have it but seem to have misplaced my Gamecube somewhere. Such a shame, because I'd love to pop that in and give it another go.

Sense of progression was unmatched for its times. Turning an abandoned subway tunnel into a thriving military home base was one of my greatest gaming experiences

Frankly the Division could learn a thing or two from Freedom Fighters
Loved this game. Yes, the underground base was such a neat concept (with manhole access/save points around the city).

I didn't finish the game.
I vaguely remember sniping the quasi-boss dictator dude but quit in pursuit of the "real" bad guy/former ally. I really struggled pursuing that guy in those tunnels... or so I remember.

I played this on PS2 and I remember it ran just fine. As other have said, great friendly AI ... kind of felt like an on-foot successor to Battlezone (1998) on PC in that regard.

dr guildo

Always thought that the division was clearly inspired by freedom fighters...
FreedomFighter is one of my goat games. A masterpiece !

Zach

Oooh. I remember not expecting much and really liking this game. I should watch a YouTube vid or two for that nostalg.

Ahh this was the first HD game I played. Had forgotten the name in that other thread. Did not forget how much I loved it though.
What a gem!

Pookmunki

The only game that really nails the passage of time and growth of the rebel army from a ragtag group of plumbers etc to a hardened unit capable of taking down an empire.

I think only TLOU gets close in that regard and even that has to be explicitly telling you.

Wonderful game.

MetalSlug

I still have it for my PS2. Not played in years though.

Would be nice if it was on Steam... How is the PC version?

The only game that really nails the passage of time and growth of the rebel army from a ragtag group of plumbers etc to a hardened unit capable of taking down an empire.

I think only TLOU gets close in that regard and even that has to be explicitly telling you.

Wonderful game.
Oh wow, yes. Forgot about the passage of time element ... so very well done.

Anybody know a good way to play this game on Windows 10? It's not available on Steam or Origin. Additionally, some Google searching showed people have issues running the PC version on Windows 10. Would really love to replay this and be able to crank up the effects and resolution.

MAX PAYMENT

This is one of my favorite games of all time.

I find it extremely satisfying to watch AIs in games kill each other.

So being able to command my guys and also actively contribute as a character on the ground is awesome.

It's even better than "breach and clear" from old rainbow six games.

Really fun game; I played the game along a friend (which was the rightful owner, by the way). It was one of those games he bought when we were bored to tears. We found the ps2 version second hand at a really cheap price, like 3€ or less. It didn't look bad so we bought it...and proceed to spend the rest of the day playing it, because it was awesome.

I really want to play it again someday, such a shame that the game isn't available on steam.

Freddo

Adore this game, got it for PC and played it many times. Recently bought a used GameCube copy of the game too, since I figured I want to be able to play it comfortably on the couch, although I have yet to actually try it.

SomTervo

Fantastic game with a GOAT Jesper Kyd soundtrack.

I still sometimes boot up the intro cinematic on YouTube and just soak it in. Amazing design, direction, music... Gold.

Xando

One of the all time greats.

The atmosphere was ridiculously good for the time it released
Anybody know a good way to play this game on Windows 10? It's not available on Steam or Origin. Additionally, some Google searching showed people have issues running the PC version on Windows 10. Would really love to replay this and be able to crank up the effects and resolution.
Have been searching for the PC version everywhere. Only got the PS2 version ;(

Top Bottom