• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

yacobod

Banned
polyh3dron said:
nah this fight has definitely been set up to put The Reem over. It's pretty transparent. Brock doesn't react well to getting hit, and he's being put up against the best striker in the division.

Obviusly the fight was booked to put overeem over, brock being the biggest ppv draw will help expose reem to north american audiences. But storylines can always change, and if brock wins it can easily set him up for another title run, which is $$$ for the ufc. Good match making.

Dream scenario is brock by hammerfists. The lolz will be off the charts.

WrikaWrek

Banned
1799217-167749_88952_hulk_super.jpg

vs

1240869-doomsday_1_super.jpg

Right before 2012.

THINK ABOUT IT

Chamber

love on your sleeve
parasight said:
MMA Weekly tweeting that Bendo/Guida is a done deal for the Fox card as well.
Odd that a probable #1 contender fight won't be on TV.

Then again, I highly doubt Cain/JDS goes the full 5 rounds.

TheNatural

My Member!
Wow I'm SHOCKED they got this one together. Zuffa is really stepping up with the match making lately, I must say. I gotta go for Brock though, I don't like the guy much, mainly because I hope he gets a win to keep him from retiring. He's only got so much time left I imagine, it sucks all this colon stuff he's dealing with. The guy draws money.

Heel

yacobod said:
Guys get busted up all the time in fights they win (fedor, etc), so not sure what your picture proves.

Moving on, we got 2 massive personalities squaring off here. I wonder if brock is going to put overeem over for the us audiences, or is he getting ready for another title push.

From the UFC judging criteria:

G. The heavier striker who lands with efficiency, deserves more credit from the Judges than total number landed.
1. If the striking power between the fighters was equal, then the total number landed would be used as the criteria.
2. The total number of strikes landed, should be of sufficient quantity favoring a fighter, to earn a winning round.

Check the FightMetric. The disparity in strike quantity was negligible round-to-round. It was a close fight and in no way a robbery.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
TheNatural said:
Um, doesn't it expire when the FOX deal starts, hence, the main fight on FOX?
No, Dana explained that their deal with Spike always allowed them the chance to air a show on broadcast TV. As far as cable goes, they're still with Spike and Versus until the new year.

I'd have to go with Reem in this, but surprised it seems like everyone thinks Brock is going to get slaughtered. He won't have anything for Reem standing, but when was the last time Reem went against a world class 300 lb wrestler?

Anyway, December is a long way away; I'm sure someone will drop out.

parrotbeak said:
I'd have to go with Reem in this, but surprised it seems like everyone thinks Brock is going to get slaughtered. He won't have anything for Reem standing, but when was the last time Reem went against a world class 300 lb wrestler?
Who would you pick in Duffee vs. Lesnar? I love asking people this question.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
parrotbeak said:

Underrated ground game .... Alistair Overeem has </Goldie>

AiTM

Banned
Yea people are looking at this wrong. Reem has horrible cardio, and Ive never seen him face a wrestler the caliber of Brock.

DKehoe

Picking Brock, Overeem may fight too conservatively, like he did against Werdum, for fear of being taken down.

Heel

BigKaboom2 said:
I think so. Heavy handed #3 heavyweight vs. huge draw who cringes every time he gets punched is horrendous matchmaking.

I don't see the issue. Lesnar is ranked above Overeem. Classic wrestler vs. striker match up.

I can play devil's advocate and say Lesnar has already beaten a guy with sledgehammer hands and questionable cardio.

TheNatural

My Member!
BigKaboom2 said:
Fedor vs. Monson in Russia later this year if this translation is accurate: http://translate.google.com/transla.../3471-sleduiushiy-sopernik-fedora-jeff-monson

LOL and he can crushing begins. Just wondering, on the record, if Jeff Monson a top 10 heavyweight? He got KO'ed by some guy named Jordan Edwards in an event called 'Backyard Brawls 3' in his last fight. Just making sure on the record Jeff Monson isn't #2 in the world or anything before Fedor kills him. :p

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sien916 said:
I don't see the issue. Lesnar is ranked above Overeem. Classic wrestler vs. striker match up.

I can play devil's advocate and say Lesnar has already beaten a guy with sledgehammer hands and questionable cardio.
Reem is ranked #3 just about everywhere.

As a firm believer in ring rust, I think this is kind of a raw deal for Brock. I think he'll be in the fetal position shortly into Round 1.

JaskoX1

Banned
parrotbeak said:

Brock doesn't drop out from injuries, only diseases, it'll have to be overeem. Besides, a lot of money is on the line, so I doubt a drop out will occur.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
God damn the back half of this year is looking amazing - barely a bad card - UFC 138 aside.

This is just the cherry on top. I can't wait to see this fight.

I'm not really a Brock fan, but I'm going to go for him on this one, just out of sympathy for all the health issues he's been through. That has to suck to keep being taken out during your physical prime.

Heel

Chamber said:
Reem is ranked #3 just about everywhere.

As a firm believer in ring rust, I think this is kind of a raw deal for Brock. I think he'll be in the fetal position shortly into Round 1.

On the subject, what rankings list does everyone go by? I've always thought of Fight Matrix as the standard. They keep the historical ranking archives as well.

I think all the rankings can agree that outside of JDS and Cain, Lesnar is next on the totem pole in the UFC. He beat Carwin, Mir didn't. Makes sense to me.

sien916 said:
On the subject, what rankings list does everyone go by? I've always thought of Fight Matrix as the standard. They keep the historical ranking archives as well.
I usually just look at the USA Today ones but they've become more and more shady about the methodology since introducing them (and stuff like Okami being ranked higher than Sonnen is laughable) : http://www.bloodyelbow.com/rankings

Re: Carwin/Lesnar vs. Mir, someone said recently that Mir would beat Carwin 9 times out of 10 and I definitely agree with that.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sien916 said:

I think all the rankings can agree that outside of JDS and Cain, Lesnar is next on the totem pole in the UFC. He beat Carwin, Mir didn't. Makes sense to me.
I usually reference Bloody Elbow for present day rankings and Fight Matrix for past years.

And I'm really not sure what to think of where Carwin fits into things after that JDS fight.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
yacobod said:
skhakoaove.gif

If brocks chin is bad, what is overeems?

sorry but sergei kharitonov punching anyone in the ear twice like that and they'll fall down.

not sure its brocks chin thats bad its his heart when it comes to being punched in the face

Heel

BigKaboom2 said:
I usually just look at the USA Today ones but they've become more and more shady about the methodology since introducing them (and stuff like Okami being ranked higher than Sonnen is laughable) : http://www.bloodyelbow.com/rankings

Re: Carwin/Lesnar vs. Mir, someone said recently that Mir would beat Carwin 9 times out of 10 and I definitely agree with that.

Never really checked out Bloody Elbow rankings. Thanks.

I guess you could think that regarding Carwin vs. Mir, but even then Lesnar beat Mir in their last outing. You'd almost certainly have to rank Lesnar higher than Mir.

If Mir keeps winning we'll eventually see what he can do against the top of the division. Kind of curious who they match him against now. Looks like he's destined for a rematch.

yacobod

Banned
Id rank brock over mir too, even in the first match a green lesnar was whooping that ass before he got caught. The 2nd time he murdered mir.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Mir/Nogueira 2 seems certain for UFC Japan. I think the winner of Schaub/Nog was always going to get Mir.

Heel

Chamber said:
Mir/Nogueira 2 seems certain for UFC Japan. I think the winner of Schaub/Nog was always going to get Mir.

Yeah I think so too. Then you're left with Carwin vs. Nelson. Sounds good to me.

Edit: On second thought, I doubt they'll put two guys on 0-2 skids against each other. Nelson beat Schaub too, so maybe Nelson vs. Nog? Then give Mir a chance to redeem himself against Carwin? This scenario potentially has two guys sent packing out of the UFC in an already top heavy division, though. They could go a lot of different ways.

yacobod

Banned
Chamber said:

Mir would ko nog again, japan deserves mirko nog 2, or bob sapp nog 2.

Top Bottom