• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should i play Dark Souls now ? ( PS3) Or should i wait the eventual PS4 port/remake ?

kc44135

If a Dark Souls remaster would happen it wouldve happened already. I mean Dark Souls 2 got a rerelease on PS4 and Xbone not long after it's first one. Dark Souls 1 is like what now 6-7 years old?

Games that are much older than that have gotten remastered in the past. A game's age doesn't really seem to matter when it comes to remasters. We've had games (like DS2) that got remastered a year after they came out, and stuff like Okami that's getting (another) remaster over a decade after it's original release.

Opa-Pa

It is pretty ridiculous that it hasn't happened yet, but it's obviously bound to sooner or later. I mean not doing it is literally leaving money on the table as the game has reached legendary status. It's just a matter of when.

DS2 received one quicker because it was the hot new thing and it released close to the start of a new gen. That coupled with fan complaints made for a good excuse to try to "redeem" the game with a cross gen remixed version of the game.

HenryEen

Banned
Blighttown runs at an average 10 FPS on consoles or something. The console versions are borderline unplayable by today's standards but I'm not sure if we can expect a remake anytime soon. Everybody and their mother played the game already and the PC version with DSfix is excellent. If PC is an option, go for that.

I played DS1 in my crappy laptop, fighting Centipede Demon with sub-10 FPS is glorious experience.

kc44135

It is pretty ridiculous that it hasn't happened yet, but it's obviously bound to sooner or later. I mean not doing it is literally leaving money on the table as the game has reached legendary status. It's just a matter of when.

DS2 received one quicker because it was the hot new thing and it released close to the start of a new gen. That coupled with fan complaints made for a good excuse to try to "redeem" the game with a cross gen remixed version of the game.

This is what I think as well. I agree that a remaster doesn't seem to be in the works right now, and that OP shouldn't hold his breath for it if he wants to play the game (especially if he can do so on PC), but a lot of people in here seem to think it will never happen, which just seems odd to me. There doesn't seem to be anything specifically standing in the way of it, nor do I think it's age factors in at all (it ain't even that old, and holds up very well, technical issues on consoles notwithstanding), and there's already a version of it running on modern X86 architecture. I also think it will eventually happen. It's just a matter of when Namco wants to do it, really.

I'm not sure it would be "remixed" tho, or that I would even want that. Presumably, FromSoft wouldn't be involved, and I'm not sure I'd want anyone else messing around with a game that, a few iffy sections aside, is designed very well, and still largely plays great. Don't fix what isn't broken, and all that. You could end up creating problems that way.

kc44135

DeS has a better chance, and that would probably be done by Bluepoint. They are currently busy with the SOTC remake, though.

This is actually the one I'm unsure will be remastered. I mean, it never achieved the same level of success as Dark Souls, and isn't available on a platform that's easy to port from. Besides that, it has some questionable design choices (inventory carry limit, world tendency tied to online, etc.) that might have to be rectified in a potential remaster. It seems like it would require far more effort than a PC port of DS1. Different companies I know, but still.

tvpivva

Neo Member
to put all this in perspective, I never got to play Demon Souls, so for a laugh I tried out RPCS3 with the new developments i've been reading about recently.

Currently playing through it upscaled at a very good framerate and stability with the latest builds on my somewhat 'ancient' rig :D

really digging its atmosphere so OP! PC with Dark Souls if you can! (I'll be tackling that w/ds fix after my play through of DeS (platinum'd 2/3 and my favourite BloodBorne)

to put all this in perspective, I never got to play Demon Souls, so for a laugh I tried out RPCS3 with the new developments i've been reading about recently.

Currently playing through it upscaled at a very good framerate and stability with the latest builds on my somewhat 'ancient' rig :D

really digging its atmosphere so OP! PC with Dark Souls if you can! (I'll be tackling that w/ds fix after my play through of DeS (platinum'd 2/3 and my favourite BloodBorne)

I really need to check out Demon's Souls on emulator when im reading this. Where should i start? PM!

I already had the game twice on PS3, both on disk and digital. But then my disk drive borked up and after a few weeks YLOD, the PS3 was about 10 years old at this point.

CHC

Yeah man with those specs play it on PC, use DSFix to get it at 1080p / 30 FPS, and just plug in a Dualshock 4 with USB - it works natively on Steam. Plug and play.

Enjoy the game!

asagami_

Banned
A bit off-topic but I need to ask this. How runs Dark Souls in PS3 regarding Demon's Souls? Honestly I'm happy with Demon's performance (well, outside the occasional framerate drops), so unless Dark Souls performance is more inestable I would prefer play in PS3.

Dunkley

A bit off-topic but I need to ask this. How runs Dark Souls in PS3 regarding Demon's Souls? Honestly I'm happy with Demon's performance (well, outside the occasional framerate drops), so unless Dark Souls performance is more inestable I would prefer play in PS3.

Demon's Souls by all means runs better than Dark Souls.

And that on a higher resolution.

Sigma722

Does it go on sale often on PC?

I'm kinda thinking about grabbing it on pc to play it again, but don't want to drop $20 on it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
If it was going to happen, it would have happened by now. I'm surprised they released a port of DS2 and not the original.

mrlion

I mean, I appreciate the offer, and if you want to, sure. You're probably not gonna change my mind tho. I already invested in a PRO, and am pretty firmly entrenched in the PS ecosystem at this point. I also love my trophies, my huge stack of PS4 games, and it's the platform all of my friends play on. I'd lose all that on PC. I've also always been a console gamer (starting with PS1/N64) and it's just what I prefer, man.

Oh I don't care if it convinces you or not, the point of it is to take your incorrect statements out of the equation.

lol

Or he could buy the PC version for 5 bucks and it would look and run much better than on the Xbone X.

Aren't there still some minor issues with the PC version? The jump is slightly off when using dsfix though it doesn't stop you from finishing the game.

Or maybe it's me that's off, don't want to be spreading misinformation.

shaneskim

1.0 US PS3 release of Dark Souls 1 is still my preferred version of the game, they patched out a lot of the fun and immersive aspects of the difficulty. And eventually they implemented a patch that added more input lag, which bothers me more than the blighttown framerate ever did.

Antique skirt ftw

horkrux

Aren't there still some minor issues with the PC version? The jump is slightly off when using dsfix though it doesn't stop you from finishing the game.

There are quite a few things broken in 60fps, but you can also just switch between framerates with the press of a button

DaciaJC

Gold Member

There are like two jumps that are harder with 60fps, and in those cases you can just press a button to lock the game to 30fps.

There are also one or two ladders that will glitch out at 60 fps, but like ctw0e said, you literally just have to press a button to immediately switch from 60 fps to 30 and back (Backspace by default, if I recall correctly).

bobawesome

Yeah, I say to just go ahead and get it on PC if you can run it there. Feels like people have been talking about an eventual remaster for years.

Dont worry. Just grab a controller, xbox preferably. U might have to do some tweaking to make it work.

But if you got a ps3, its still the easiest way to play it. Blighttown framerate is horrible, but youll get use to it.

or just grab his ps3 controller? steam will support it as xinput (at least my steam link does)

kc44135

If it was going to happen, it would have happened by now. I'm surprised they released a port of DS2 and not the original.
DS2 got ported first because it was a recent game not available on the new consoles. A lot of games from 2013/2014 got ports/remasters to current gen. However, I'm not sure why you're placing an arbitrary time limit on a DS1 remaster. We've gotten remasters of games that are literally decades old. DS1 being 7 years old doesn't mean it's too old to remaster.
Oh I don't care if it convinces you or not, the point of it is to take your incorrect statements out of the equation.
I've spent enough time with PC gaming to know what I prefer. How about this? I'll go on preferring what I prefer, and you can go on prefering what you prefer, rather than either of us trying to push our preferences on one another. Let's leave it at that.

mrlion

I've spent enough time with PC gaming to know what I prefer. How about this? I'll go on preferring what I prefer, and you can go on prefering what you prefer, rather than either of us trying to push our preferences on one another. Let's leave it at that.

Again...its not about you. Its about what you said.

kc44135

Again...its not about you. Its about what you said.

Look, you think PC gaming is as easily accessible as Console Gaming, and I don't. You can't change my mind about that, and I can't change yours, so let's agree to disagree. This is irrelevant to the overall topic at hand as well. Just drop it. Please.

mrlion

Look, you think PC gaming is as easily accessible as Console Gaming, and I don't. You can't change my mind about that, and I can't change yours, so let's agree to disagree. This is irrelevant to the overall topic at hand as well. Just drop it. Please.

lol and yet you keep misreading as I said that its not about preference or convincing its about saying that PC gaming is inaccessible because of said problems which is not true. Hence I offered to make a video that says otherwise.

Mr_Moogle

Play it on PC with Durante's mod and a controller. It's beautiful and runs smooth as butter. (only slight hitches in Blightown)

I've still never played a Souls game at 30 fps on a console. These games just feel a lot better on PC with a faster framerate. I guess I was able to put up with 30 fps with Bloodborne but it wasn't ideal.

JMY86

aiIR3hq.jpg

PC is the best way to play and the only way to go if you are able.

Dark Souls is an amazing game even on consoles, but it's drastically better on PC if you have an okay computer. I'm not someone who is super picky about framerate, but there are areas of the game that drop down to 10-15 fps on consoles. The improved resolution & faster load times (especially if you have a SSD) are nice as well.

Top Bottom