• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES vs. Genesis/Mega Drive: Which 16-bit console do you prefer?

That's an interesting point, SNES best games are so renowned and known at this point. The genesis library outside the obvious may be a bit deeper in the hidden gem dept, though there are plenty on the SNES side as well. They're both great, great consoles and IMO was just a really fun time for gaming period. Sega really went after Nintendo in the marketing department and that led to some really compelling debates, the 'battleground' in terms of trash-talking and what each system did that the other didn't was more fertile and dynamic compared to today, at least my perception of it.
I really think too, both systems have a ton, particularly the Genesis, of games only in Japan that are absolutely great. One of my favorite games on the SNES is DoReMi Fantasy, I think it's one of the best looking and feeling games on the whole system with no special chips. But like I said - I think both consoles have a crisis where the SNES gets praised for the usual suspects and that's generally it but the Genesis you either have people say "Sonic, Streets of Rage.. um, Mortal Kombat was kinda good" or people who know the library and all of it's neat exclusives. I don't really ever run into anybody who brings up the more obscure ends of the SNES library, but have ran into people talking about the Genesis library more in depth a few times.

The Goat

Genesis does what Nintendon't.

Ahh, classic. Yeah, loved my Genesis to death. All my friends had SNES, so I slummed it when I visited them.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I bought an SNES at launch as a scheme to establish credit, had no interest in a Genesis. But then I'd go to Toys R Us to buy games, and I'd always stop and play Sonic the Hedgehog on the Genesis demo kiosk for a while and leave wishing Sonic was a Nintendo game. Eventually I realized, "Wait a minute. There's no law that says I can only own one console. Fuck it, I'll buy a Genesis too." And so I did... and from then on I bought most of the major consoles, and some not so major. Only ones I skipped out on were the 3DO, the CDi, the... actually I guess that's about it. Anyway in the 16 bit era I always favored the SNES by far. I had a few random games for the Genesis, but for the most part it might as well have been a dedicated Sonic box.

You forgot something ;)

j/k I'm just teasing you!

kinggroin

Banned
Snes was technically superior in nearly every way, it also had the top of the heap sellers in the industry. Anyone saying otherwise are fooling themselves.

Genesis was still the better console. Better variety meant more to me than pretty colors and Mario.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
As a kid, I was definitely solidly SNES. Actually, back then I didn't really have much contact with Genesis games at all aside from Altered Beast and the first Sonic. Interestingly enough, I don't recall very many playground arguments between the two.

Nowadays though, I'm still on the SNES camp, but I have waaaay more appreciation for the Genesis than I did back then. They're both great systems.

dacuk

Too many Nintendo fanboys in the world, going to have to side with the Genesis.

Better Konami games...

This is so open to discussion... while I prefer Hard Corps to Contra 3, TMNT and Sunset Riders are so inferior to their SNES versions.

Chiramii

I have both, but SNES is the clear winner for me. More games that interests me. Sound is also better on SNES imo.

Leynos

Despite growing up with a Genesis, I must admit that I prefer the Super Nintendo. Both are great systems with fantastic libraries, but there are more Super Nintendo games that I love vs. the Genesis. I also tend not to be so keen on sports, nor the more arcade-centric focus of many Genesis games.

cordy

Banned
SNES and it's not even a choice. That's in my top 3 greatest consoles ever. It's a battle between that, PS1 and PS2 for me.

dacuk

SNES.... even more now that getting access to Japanese games unreleased in Western markets (via fan translations) gives me a more complete view to the Super Famicom environment and the gems that stayed there.
That said, playing a lot of Genesis games that went under the radar now makes me appreciate the fantastic console that it is.

Overall I think I enjoyed/enjoy more games on the SNES.

I do however dislike arguments that the SNES has a "better" sound chip. It has no FM-synth which IMO really holds it back. Both are capable of excellent sound in the right hands.

dacuk

Overall I think I enjoyed/enjoy more games on the SNES.

I do however dislike arguments that the SNES has a "better" sound chip. It has no FM-synth which IMO really holds it back.

Maybe it is because the Yamaha required some effort from programmers to produce great music.

The SNES SPC chip, being a sample player and all, could reproduce almost anything that you thrown at it (even if it sounds somewhat muffled), so it is a general-purpose tool, in that regards.

While it does not mean the Genesis is inferior, only developers that took the time to know and exploit the synth were able to get fantastic results from it.

celsowmbr

Banned
i like the one that gives you 6 buttons.

3 buttons are not good.

Pad_MD_Gen3.jpg

Maybe it is because the Yamaha required some effort from programmers to produce great music.

The SNES SPC chip, being a sample player and all, could reproduce almost anything that you thrown at it (even if it sounds somewhat muffled), so it is a general-purpose tool, in that regards.

While it does not mean the Genesis is inferior, only developers that took the time to know and exploit the synth were able to get fantastic results from it.

Agreed.

Wamb0wneD

Snes has FF VI, Mario World, Terranigma, F-Zero, Earthbound, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Street Fighter 2 and on and on and on the list goes.

It's not even a question tbh.

Grew up with a Sega Mega Drive but having explored the SNES library retrospectively in subsequent years it is now my #1 favourite console of all time so I have to go with that.

The SNES has several all-time Nintendo classics that defined videogames plus an incredible collection of RPGs. And yet, I'll always prefer the Megadrive. I had neither of them as a kid but I have explored their libraries extensively over the years. I played (and beat!) both Contra 3 and Hard Corps this week. And... There's just something about Hard Corps, the way it looks and sounds and how merciless the difficulty is, I just prefer it to 3 and both games really perfectly represent their respective systems. Contra 3 is extremely well designed and polished but feels a bit safe. Hard Corps is just bonkers froms start to finish.

Plus, I'm not a huge fan of Mode 7 (sorry!) and I love the Megadrive sound. I blame Yuzo Koshiro.

So yeah, I'm clearly in the Megadrive camp but both systems are legendary.

Konami's approach to both systems was really interesting.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say that Contra 3 is more polished but safe. Both Contra 3 and Super Castlevania IV feel like a natural evolution from their respective NES predecessors, whereas Contra: Hard Corps and Castlevania: Bloodlines both do something completely different. Both feel "sloppier" than their SNES counterparts, but also faster, more dynamic and significantly more difficult, which is kind of interesting given the infamous "Nintendo Hard" games Konami made in the third generation. I can only attribute it to both consoles having different ethos' and being marketed at different demographics- Sega being the more arcade-y, edgy, tough,mature console whereas Nintendo was working hard to manufacture a more family-friendly image during the 4th gen.

FWIW, I prefer Super Castlevania IV to Bloodlines (although I'd take Rondo of Blood over both of them), but I agree with you that Hard Corps is better than Contra 3. All 4 are fantastic games though.

I get the feeling that in particular a lot of American SNES owners have a huge chip on their shoulder caused by Sega of America's provocative marketing. And in return, those people being so loud and prevalent in games media have fed into a sort of inferiority complex that pervades the Genesis community.

What I mean by the last part is that there have been a lot of predominantly American commentators/forum posters, writers, and media personalities (most notably AVGN) going out of their way to deride the Genesis, almost as if they want to get back at Sega for hurting their feelings when they were kids. I think this has started to visibly change in the more modern retro gaming climate, but back in the 00's this was certainly very prevalent across the internet.

You're right.

A lot of Nintendo fanboys are still, even 20+ years after winning the console war, incredibly bitter towards Sega in a way that they aren't towards Sony, Microsoft or any of Nintendo's other rivals. I find it both sad and hilarious that you have fully grown men (many of whom are 30+ years of age now) who still harbour grudges based on playground console wars.

Unfortunately these neckbeard virgins are usually the kinds of people who have the time to make lots of long Youtube videos about retro gaming which means that they're depressingly influential at shaping public opinion. This is why revisionist myths about Sonic never been good and the Genesis never been serious competition for the SNES (even though they were neck and neck in sales for a lot of 4th gen) are so prevalent. Of course sensible people who were actually around at the time know that this is nonsense, but a large number of gullible teenagers in the retro scene rely on Youtube personalities to spoonfeed an opinion to them and have been tricked into believing that Nintendo were the only relevant video game company ever to exist before Sony.

I like them equally. SNES might have been ahead in RPGs, but I don’t think those hold up that well due to time wasting battles and poor writing that would only be considered good for an immature medium as gaming was back then. Present the same story or dialogue in a movie or book and people would cringe. Nothing beats the best Nintendo franchises though, but Genesis had so many great action titles that I keep returning to.

This is how I feel too, yet I still rank the SNES first.

I think Chrono Trigger, FF6 and Earthbound are just so good that they are very rare exceptions to my policy of loathing JRPGs even though (particularly in the case of FF6) they do sometimes succumb to the trappings of the genre.

Mael

The system that let me play Yoshi's Island, Final Fantasy, Seiken Densetsu games, Mario RPG, Romancing Sagas, Starwing.
Not saying Megadrive was bad because it wasn't but if I had to choose one I'll choose the one with the games I wanna play.
In pictures though Megadrive is awesome and can put some crazy visuals but everytime I hear the sound for most of the games I can't stand it for long.
I'll add that there's many games I'd have liked to have on SNES that were on Megadrive but there's way too many games I'd miss from the SNES anyway.

SNES for me.

SNES:

Link to the past, Chrono trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Super mario World, WWF royal rumble(in hindsight this game is shit, but I loved it at that time) Street Fighter 2, Super Empire Strikes back.

The PS2 and SNES are my favorite consoles to date.

Snes was technically superior in nearly every way, it also had the top of the heap sellers in the industry. Anyone saying otherwise are fooling themselves.

For me, I can't really say that one of these machines is superior to the other. Yes the SNES is technically the newer system of the two, it was released in 1990, while the Japanese Mega Drive was released in 1988.

Yeah, the SNES can display more onscreen colours, used sample based sound hardware, and had some neat fixed functions in the VDU, like the mode 7 3D playing field.

The Genesis/ Mega Drive is just a faster machine overall and is very CPU heavy. The secret sauce behind the console is its Burst DMA controller which can give the console a pretty big leg-up when utilized.

it is kinda a toss up ,really. Both machines have their stengths and weaknesses.

bionic77

IMO SNES is in the converation for the best console of all time (for me it's between SNES and PS2) and Genesis is not so SNES wins easily.

That said the Genesis was a really great console. I had it as well and I loved a ton of games on it. It was definitely my go to sports console. I missed the boat on the Sega CD so I can't comment on that.

IMO SNES is in the converation for the best console of all time (for me it's between SNES and PS2) and Genesis is not so SNES wins easily.

That said the Genesis was a really great console. I had it as well and I loved a ton of games on it. It was definitely my go to sports console. I missed the boat on the Sega CD so I can't comment on that.

but Genesis had blast processing. you can't coach that.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I really think too, both systems have a ton, particularly the Genesis, of games only in Japan that are absolutely great. One of my favorite games on the SNES is DoReMi Fantasy, I think it's one of the best looking and feeling games on the whole system with no special chips. But like I said - I think both consoles have a crisis where the SNES gets praised for the usual suspects and that's generally it but the Genesis you either have people say "Sonic, Streets of Rage.. um, Mortal Kombat was kinda good" or people who know the library and all of it's neat exclusives. I don't really ever run into anybody who brings up the more obscure ends of the SNES library, but have ran into people talking about the Genesis library more in depth a few times.

What do you find are good Japan-only MD games? I know of:
-Gleylancer
-Twinkle Tale
-Surging Aura
-Monster World IV
-Phantasy Star 1 port
-a non-impossible Hard Corps :p

Would like to expand my MD library (unfortunately a lot of the most highly regarded MD only games are expensive as hell)

Konami's approach to both systems was really interesting.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say that Contra 3 is more polished but safe. Both Contra 3 and Super Castlevania IV feel like a natural evolution from their respective NES predecessors, whereas Contra: Hard Corps and Castlevania: Bloodlines both do something completely different. Both feel "sloppier" than their SNES counterparts, but also faster, more dynamic and significantly more difficult, which is kind of interesting given the infamous "Nintendo Hard" games Konami made in the third generation. I can only attribute it to both consoles having different ethos' and being marketed at different demographics- Sega being the more arcade-y, edgy, tough,mature console whereas Nintendo was working hard to manufacture a more family-friendly image during the 4th gen.

FWIW, I prefer Super Castlevania IV to Bloodlines (although I'd take Rondo of Blood over both of them), but I agree with you that Hard Corps is better than Contra y do sometimes succumb to the trappings of the genre.

The one big difference with Konami's output on the SNES vs the Genesis, is that they were there on the SNES day one, while they jumped on the Genesis midway through the systems life cycle. Most of this had to do with Nintendo contracts during the 8bit Era, which were lifted in the early 90s. The Genesis didn't really gain momentum until after the success of Sonic 1. That was really when developers were looking at the machine as an alternative to the SNES in western territories.

I always felt like Konami put their B teams to work on the Genesis. And they did turn out some great games like Rocket Knight, Contra Hard Corps, Castlevania Bloodlines, TMNT Hyperstone Heist and a few others. They also put out that fantastic Snatcher port on the Sega CD.

Kids today don't know what console wars are. We fought in the trenches, in the school yards, not from the comfort behind some computer screen.

I was a Sega Kid growing up, it was a lonely fight. So I vote for Genesis. SNES had some great games, they fought hard and with honor.

but Genesis had blast processing. you can't coach that.

Someone from Sega's advertising team looked through a Sega Genesis technical manual, and found some jargon on how the system could blast data through the DMA to video display processor or CPU. The term was re-coined as "blast processing" and is not totally made up, but it was used as an overblown buzzword.

At that point in time, Nintendo was using "Mode 7" as a buzzword to advertise the SNES. But Mode 7 was a real feature build into the hardware that could spin a flat 3D playing field around in 3D on its own layer. Even though some games used additional CPU's in the cartridge to to make the Mode 7 feature spin on different axises. It was still a marketable feature in the system.

People at Sega wanted to outdo Nintendo with their own buzzword. So that is where "Blast Processing" came into being. Even the infamous drag race commercial shows Mario Kart playing in it.

I love both so much, so god damn much. If I had to choose I would ultimately go for the Mega Drive because it has more high octane action games that I enjoy, but the SNES is also an irreplaceable classic and it has more of my favorite franchises. Megaman X, Super Metroid and Final Fight 3 are mean advantages to have. But every time I think about life without the Mega Drive, I can't help but miss Sonic 1 and 3&K, Shinobi 3, Shadow Dancer, Super Monaco GP, Hyperstone Heist (I like it better than TMNT4), Streets of Rage 1 through 3, Alien Soldier, Outrun and the GOAT... STRIDER!

Plus, I enjoy the Megadrive music much more. It's more raw, more pure. SNES sounds badly compressed often.

Celine

Sadly, we're at a point where even stuff like the Shinobi and Thunder Force series are now in hidden gems territory on the internet. I doubt most of the "SNES, no contest! Genesis can't compare" people have scratched the surface of these systems' libraries. Younger generations are constantly being told by youtube idiots that only Nintendo systems mattered pre-Playstation.
Shinobi III and Thunder Force IV are constantly in every Mega Drive top games list.
Hidden gem my ass.
Shinobi and Thunder Force enjoy the same level of visibility that Mega Drive enjoy, because they are key games for the system (of course Sonic is the most popular MD game).

A lot of Nintendo fanboys are still, even 20+ years after winning the console war, incredibly bitter towards Sega in a way that they aren't towards Sony, Microsoft or any of Nintendo's other rivals. I find it both sad and hilarious that you have fully grown men (many of whom are 30+ years of age now) who still harbour grudges based on playground console wars.

Unfortunately these neckbeard virgins are usually the kinds of people who have the time to make lots of long Youtube videos about retro gaming which means that they're depressingly influential at shaping public opinion. This is why revisionist myths about Sonic never been good and the Genesis never been serious competition for the SNES (even though they were neck and neck in sales for a lot of 4th gen) are so prevalent. Of course sensible people who were actually around at the time know that this is nonsense, but a large number of gullible teenagers in the retro scene rely on Youtube personalities to spoonfeed an opinion to them and have been tricked into believing that Nintendo were the only relevant video game company ever to exist before Sony.
The perception that Nintendo has a far stronger legacy than anything else isn't due to "influencers", it's caused by the fact that Nintendo is the only console manufacturer of the "classic age" that still pump up new systems with new (good quality) sequels in their historical beloved franchises (why Nintendo was the only videogame company to remain in the console business after the chaos of the '90s is long to explain).
A kid is more likely to be exposed to a recent Nintendo game, enjoy it and then go back to revisit the older games in the franchise because Nintendo is still pumping money and quality efforts to keep alive their legacy (which is Nintendo most prized asset with the talent of their development teams).
SNK, Sega, Atari, SNK, NEC/Hudson, Panasonic/3DO have all stopped to support their legacy.
They still re-release their games but the target are usually whoever already know them back in the day when they were still popular.

lazygecko

The perception that Nintendo has a far stronger legacy than anything else isn't due to "influencers", it's caused by the fact that Nintendo is the only console manufacturer of the "classic age" that still pump up new systems with new (good quality) sequels in their historical beloved franchises (why Nintendo was the only videogame company to remain in the console business after the chaos of the '90s is long to explain).

There's a lot of converging reasons why Nintendo/SNES has more retroactive mindshare and it can't be pinned down to one single thing. Regarding the games themselves, I think one significant factor is that the type of SNES games that get lots of exposure today just jive more with the general zeitgeist of the modern big budget video game industry, where they were designed more as long form experiences, whereas short form arcade action experiences that were prevalent on Genesis have become retroactively marginalized to the fringes (which I think is visible now in particular with the unexpected scope of Cuphead's success also highlighting how many people trying it regard it as such an alien gameplay experience). I think Castlevania 4 and Bloodlines demonstrate this schism rather aptly as well. People who prefer SCV4 tend to like it as a kind of setpiece experience where they can just soak in the atmosphere, whereas proponents of Bloodlines like it for having a better designed gameplay challenge.

There's another factor I've been thinking about as well related to JRPGs and how a lot of them on the SNES became exponentially more popular after their shelf life, fueled by a combination of FF7 really blowing up the genre into the mainstream and the simultaneous rise of SNES emulation in the late 90's, giving a lot of people the opportunity to seek out preceding RPG titles they missed out on.
This has kind of altered our perception of what the contemporary market was really like. I mean, Chrono Trigger sold a modest 250k copies or so in its original SNES release, but given how often people bring it up now you'd think it would have easily been many times more than that. Not even Final Fantasy 6 breached 1 million sales in the US, IIRC. Sure, those numbers are still way above average for their time period, but still far from the behemoths they are perceived to be.

Celine

There's a lot of converging reasons why Nintendo/SNES has more retroactive mindshare and it can't be pinned down to one single thing. Regarding the games themselves, I think one significant factor is that the type of SNES games that get lots of exposure today just jive more with the general zeitgeist of the modern big budget video game industry, where they were designed more as long form experiences, whereas short form arcade action experiences that were prevalent on Genesis have become retroactively marginalized to the fringes (which I think is visible now in particular with the unexpected scope of Cuphead's success also highlighting how many people trying it regard it as such an alien gameplay experience).

There's another factor I've been thinking about as well related to JRPGs and how a lot of them on the SNES became exponentially more popular after their shelf life, fueled by a combination of FF7 really blowing up the genre into the mainstream and the simultaneous rise of SNES emulation in the late 90's, giving a lot of people the opportunity to seek out preceding RPG titles they missed out on.
This has kind of altered our perception of what the contemporary market was really like. I mean, Chrono Trigger sold a modest 250k copies or so in its original SNES release, but given how often people bring it up now you'd think it would have easily been many times more than that. Not even Final Fantasy 6 breached 1 million sales in the US, IIRC. Sure, those numbers are still way above average for their time period, but still far from the behemoths they are perceived to be.
Square SNES RPGs current popularity in the west is something achieved after the fact.
In the 16-bit era began a golden age for Square in Japan where Final Fantasy games keep growing in popularity and their new IPs (SaGa, Mana, Chrono) all sold extremely well.
However in US Square RPGs sales were still relatively niche while Europe rarely got those games (usually only action RPG were distributed in Europe back in the SNES days).
The turning point was that with PS1, Square experienced a golden age for their games in US and Europe too.
What is mistakenly regarded as a golden age for JRPG in US was actually a golden age for a single company: Square.
In fact only Square RPGs sold big in US (with Legend of Dragoon being an easily explainable exception), the RPGs from other japanese publisher still got relatively niche sales.
Square's Final Fantasy still enjoy popularity in the west to these days so younger players that tried and fell in love for the latest Final Fantasy due to the buzz of the newest release, may try the older Square games.
On the other hand the exposition of a dead franchise like Street of Rage for the new generations is very limited.
Younger generations of players can be introduced to the Street of Rage franchise only if a older relative tell them about it.

What I mean in the end is that the perception of any legacy is fabricated through time, it needs to be kept alive by constantly rise awareness with newer products otherwise it's destined to fade and to be reduce to a niche for older people that grew up with it.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
There's a lot of converging reasons why Nintendo/SNES has more retroactive mindshare and it can't be pinned down to one single thing. Regarding the games themselves, I think one significant factor is that the type of SNES games that get lots of exposure today just jive more with the general zeitgeist of the modern big budget video game industry, where they were designed more as long form experiences, whereas short form arcade action experiences that were prevalent on Genesis have become retroactively marginalized to the fringes (which I think is visible now in particular with the unexpected scope of Cuphead's success also highlighting how many people trying it regard it as such an alien gameplay experience). I think Castlevania 4 and Bloodlines demonstrate this schism rather aptly as well. People who prefer SCV4 tend to like it as a kind of setpiece experience where they can just soak in the atmosphere, whereas proponents of Bloodlines like it for having a better designed gameplay challenge.

This is a great post.

Top Bottom