• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

is this not a common/viable option? MVS carts do indeed look quite a bit cheaper/easier to find, especially with multicarts or whatever they're called (swore i saw one on ebay with like 100 titles and it looked mostly legit!)

Its viable, a good converter costs 200$ though :D

And no, multicarts are straight up piracy, filled with Rainbow Editions of popular games.

IrishNinja

ohhh...wish i could find this one, it looked legit-ish? went for like north of $500 i wanna say but i guess it was basically like a NG everdrive then, heh. ah well.

and cool, if that converter exists and games are region-free anyway (OP mentioned language/censorship changes per region though) I'd be good with a unibios AES, then? it's RGB out of the box, no? it looks like stuff like Metal Slug would be way cheaper if i got the MVS ones and just used that converter.

also, was messing with my X gold this morning...man that baseball game is awesome! i forgot how much i loved arcade sports games. which reminds me: what did the AES gold or whatever in the day bring that the others didn't?

I have an AES modded with S-Video, brand new pin connector, unibios, and a Phantom 1 converter. I love the thing, I really need to get it component modded one of these days, just haven't had the spare cash to do so. It's a great system and it was one of those ones from my childhood I always wanted. I remember the arcade I went to as a kid had them for sale, for like 600 bucks. It was amazing when I was finally able to get one.

and cool, if that converter exists and games are region-free anyway (OP mentioned language/censorship changes per region though) I'd be good with a unibios AES, then? it's RGB out of the box, no? it looks like stuff like Metal Slug would be way cheaper if i got the MVS ones and just used that converter.

i used to have this beast of a setting:
neoproject.gif

but i was unsatisfied with the converter quality with sprite zooming and the uselessness of the AES unit as such.

I highly recommend just getting a consolized MVS for around 350$. The one i have is RGB out with unibios and as its built on a NeoGeo CD it has its powersource and controller ports etc.

Mikhal

also, was messing with my X gold this morning...man that baseball game is awesome! i forgot how much i loved arcade sports games. which reminds me: what did the AES gold or whatever in the day bring that the others didn't?

AES doesn't have RGB out of the box so you'll have to get it modded. There are MVS converters with Unibios code in them also if you don't want to install it inside the AES. Razoola (creator of the Unibios) sells them on neo-geo.com, but I believe they're out of stock at the moment.

The AES Gold System came with 2 joysticks and a game while the Silver one had 1 joystick and no games.

Teknoman

Why does Metal Slug 1 and 2 Neo Geo CD version cost so much? Because of the franchise or are they actually kinda hard to find?

Still kicking myself for not getting both when I saw them in a local half price books.

IrishNinja

AES doesn't have RGB out of the box so you'll have to get it modded. There are MVS converters with Unibios code in them also if you don't want to install it inside the AES. Razoola (creator of the Unibios) sells them on neo-geo.com, but I believe they're out of stock at the moment.

The AES Gold System came with 2 joysticks and a game while the Silver one had 1 joystick and no games.

aw, what? i was so sure the AES was RGB outta the box, that's disappointing...so i'd need to find a unit that's RGB modded, unibios'd, as well as the adapter...damn. that's a tall order! might have to consider the consolized MVS down the road and just pretend, i assume that'd be RGB ready by nature.

any chance the ones that dude sells are occasionally RGB modded? is that an expensive/rare mod in general?

Mikhal

aw, what? i was so sure the AES was RGB outta the box, that's disappointing...so i'd need to find a unit that's RGB modded, unibios'd, as well as the adapter...damn. that's a tall order! might have to consider the consolized MVS down the road and just pretend, i assume that'd be RGB ready by nature.

any chance the ones that dude sells are occasionally RGB modded? is that an expensive/rare mod in general?

Actually, I'm an idiot. The AES does do RGB. I thought it didn't because I remember hearing about RGB bypass mods. Turns out some AES hardware does RGB better than others.

http://nfggames.com/games/neorgb/
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?111152-RGB-bypass-mod

IrishNinja

*phew* thank fuck, that's a big deal now that i can upscale...one less thing to shop around for!

really am debating grabbing a cable off retro_console_accessories now while she got em in stock just for whenever i can swing one later

IrishNinja

maaan ive been on a Neo Geo kick lately, really wanted to get the Mega Pack for my Gold X but since its just emulation anyway, im kinda leaning to just cracking it & dumping (however that works) and putting the $ towards a proper system one day. RAGEx5.0 with scanlines looks so good, i want to see this over my XRGB mini.

Shock Troopers, King of the Monsters 2, Nam and Baseball whatever are killing me here, i gotta check the OP again for other recommendations. speaking of, i had to have these on page 2 cause they're so gorgeous:

I don't believe you when you say that Neo Geo games had a high level of artistry. I want proof!

Sure. These are backgrounds from SNK games:

uM4SUXw.gif

e5q6K.gif

9xZzI.gif

v745rRo.gif

igo4KsE.gif

ps RIP Chacranajxy (OP), see you in a month my dude

Celine

Haha it's true. Visit neogeo.com forums for an example :|

I always wished SNK did another RPG on the neogeo - like Crystalis 2 or something. Something to ad a bit of variety to the library of fighters and shooters. They did do Samurai Spirits RPG i guess but that never made it out of Japan. :(
Crystalis 2 was actually to be a NeoCD game but was cancelled.

Mikhal

I've only played Shock Troopers 2nd Squad back in the day. I loved that game. A lot of people prefer the 1st game though. Hoping to get the MVS carts for both one of these days for a decent price.

woodypop

My NGCD stuff...

EA31F4E1-7CE7-4AC5-82CA-0E471FCC0DC9-29138-00001760107744D1_zpsb7136d34.jpg

40C83392-C637-44EC-B9D8-7783E63F4403-29138-000017602B314720_zps7b2ea83a.jpg

522E890E-964B-4CFB-A198-E2B13C899B31-29138-0000176045EE665F_zps1fb4a2f8.jpg

51571D45-3E88-47A0-860C-B85F10B5BC79-29138-0000176063675CB4_zpsdad6c8e8.jpg

My faves are Last Resort, Magician Lord, Metal Slug, Puzzle Bobble, Samurai Shodown II, and Sengoku 2. I'd probably have a few more favorites (like Crossed Swords,Windjammers, Viewpoint) if I invested some time in playing them. I'm currently on the hunt for KoF'98 and Samurai Showdown IV.

The load times on the system can be trying, especially with the fighting games. Sometimes I consider getting an AES, but the software is so darned expensive. It's hard to justify shelling out for an AES when I already have the NGCD and a single-slot MVS board. (Maybe I'll post pics of the MVS stuff later.)

Fox Mulder

The neogeo is awesome, I love the graphics and never knew it existed while I played the snes and genesis growing up.

Sadly, the wii VC and compilation discs are my only real option to experience this stuff now.

IrishNinja

^same...for now

seriously, woodypop makes me jealous in every one of these freakin threads, haha...for real man, excellent collection!

IrishNinja

hey guys - of the many Neo Geo cables retro_console_accessories has for sale, which do i want for my XRGB mini? down the road i want an AES (hopefully region modded?) with an MVS converter, but there's stereo and non ones here... is this like the genesis for stereo sound or what? presumably the CD would need the other cable.

Mikhal

hey guys - of the many Neo Geo cables retro_console_accessories has for sale, which do i want for my XRGB mini? down the road i want an AES (hopefully region modded?) with an MVS converter, but there's stereo and non ones here... is this like the genesis for stereo sound or what? presumably the CD would need the other cable.

Yup. It is like the Genesis. The console outputs mono sound but the headset jack in the front will output stereo. So you will need to either use the headset jack, or mod the AES by soldering the headset stereo points on the inside to some RCA jacks.

I just received some Windy MVS Sleeves from Windy Gaming for my MVS carts. Great alternative for people that wants an economical way of protecting their MVS carts!

WP_000280.jpg

IrishNinja

okay, so still looking into a nice unibios AES one day, but desperately wanted an MVS multi-cart until i could find more games at a decent price, bringing me to:

Can I play MVS games on my AES system, or vice versa?

No. AES games only work on an AES system, and MVS games only work on an MVS system. Despite that the same data is contained on both cartridges.

anyone have experience with these things? <<obviously that's way too expensive, just wondering about that or the phantom one, auction mentioned some titles having flickering?

okay, so still looking into a nice unibios AES one day, but desperately wanted an MVS multi-cart until i could find more games at a decent price, bringing me to:

anyone have experience with these things? <<obviously that's way too expensive, just wondering about that or the phantom one, auction mentioned some titles having flickering?

This is the only Neo Geo converter that works perfectly. The other ones have flickering and issues with games that do scaling to different degrees. The one you posted needs an external power supply too which the Daedalus doesnt need. Unfortunately they only made 200 of them and they're sold out. It's a front loading converter though, which is really odd and never seens quite right when youve got a giant MVS cart hanging out of your system vertically.

IrishNinja

okay yeah so as much as the baller wooden CMVS is, it's $650 before a controller (and theirs look likewise great, but goddamn @ $200), so barring a more favorable auction down the road i think that one might be a pipe dream.

Jamma Nation X has a smaller/uglier one for $350 (i'd only need the RGB output anyway) before shipping, which currently looks like the one to beat. still a distant dream but that'd set me back that much + $150+ for one of those bootleg 100+ game multicarts, another $30 for a good bottle of whiskey and baby, you've got yourself a stew goin'

(for real, unibios + unless i understand wrong, they both play AES games too yeah? id just need to paint that thing black & slap a logo sticker onna front to make peace with it)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
MVS PCB with Samurai Shodown cart for $50. Yay or nay?

ToD_

The RGB quality in AES units varies, but none of them are really good. This is due to RGB and composite signals going through the same chip. While RGB is still definitely better than composite in all units, the best way to get RGB is by bypassing this chip altogether. A simple mod can take care of this, but will require some soldering skills. About a decade ago I sent my AES to some (at the time) well known neo-geo.com member in Italy, who took care of it for about $50. The difference between the unmodded and modded AES picture quality is quite substantial and definitely worth looking into.

I was a very happy camper with this and my Phantom-1 converter until I moved to the US and no longer had access to RGB TVs. Decided to leave my AES in Europe for that reason. I'm considering picking up a consolized MVS at the moment, however. Those wooden ones look nice, but are expensive and heavily backordered according to their site.

galvatron

MVS PCB with Samurai Shodown cart for $50. Yay or nay?

Sounds like a good deal, but I'm not sure how particular you are about what games you'll get in the future. Some 1-slot systems need to be slightly modified to run the newer games, if I'm remembering right. Still, hard to go wrong at that price provided you already have a supergun/cab.

Fox

Banned
nice thread. now i can post my most valuable gaming items.

1391950_10202175348047836_298433062_n.jpg

i bought all these AES games in 10 months. 20.000 euros of gaming in 4 shelves.
they are all original, including metal slug 1 and neo turf master. whops, neo turf master is not present in the picture. i'll make another one soon

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like a good deal, but I'm not sure how particular you are about what games you'll get in the future. Some 1-slot systems need to be slightly modified to run the newer games, if I'm remembering right. Still, hard to go wrong at that price provided you already have a supergun/cab.
Probably Blazing Star or KOF 2002.

terrisus

I was in a private school for a year in 1991-1992 (was in 3rd grade at the time). Most of us were overjoyed getting our SNESs that year...Meanwhile, there was one kid who had a Neo Geo.
I remember being amazed by it at that time, knowing full well how much it cost too, and that there was no chance I would get one.

At a local pizza parlor in my town that we'd go to sometimes, there was a 4-in-1 Neo Geo arcade machine.I don't remember the 3 other games, but one of them was Baseball Stars 2. I loved it, and used to play it all the time.
I still think how they had a memory card slot in the arcade machine that one could use was awesome.

It's still on my dream "to buy" list one of these days.
Definitely an amazing system,

IrishNinja

hypothetically if someone on your local CL was selling a neo geo pocket + Metal Slug, Pac-Man, Crush Roller, some chibi KOF (those ones are boxed) and what looks like 4 other titles (a sonic one, turf masters, not sure what else) and you thought you could maybe swing it for $50...worth it?

hypothetically if someone on your local CL was selling a neo geo pocket + Metal Slug, Pac-Man, Crush Roller, some chibi KOF (those ones are boxed) and what looks like 4 other titles (a sonic one, turf masters, not sure what else) and you thought you could maybe swing it for $50...worth it?

If you don't get it, I will.

IrishNinja

hahaha i totally forget you're valid competition out here...dammit this isn't helping my budget, but ive never played/seen the thing and that's a good price to start out with i think! gotta do some research on it today.

for real though, we need to meet up sometime and bullshit/trade techniques

DragonHunterG

Neo Member
i used to have all the CD systems and the AES. the home cartridges are pretty much the best thing ever. i wish games were still like that. would have loved to see Samurai Spirits RPG in a big beautiful snap case, with a manual and gorgeous home cartridge format, in english. i played it in japanese and it's actually a fun little RPG.

Bar81

Unfortunately, the big elephant in the room when it comes to AES collecting is counterfeiting.

There are a large number of high value carts that are bootlegged and many AES collectors think they have originals when all they have are counterfeits. I've heard all kinds of stuff collectors say to make themselves feel better, like I bought it 10 years ago, so it can't be a boot - news flash - there were MS1, MS2 and BTG boots (at the very least) circulating then.

If you are going to collect AES carts it would be best to educate yourself very well and if you're not willing to do the research and get a high quality loupe, you *are* going to get ripped off.

My suggestion is to steer clear of AES and go to MVS in which case boots are easy to determine (yes, everything Neo pretty much has been counterfeited) by comparing board pictures to those here:

http://mvs.gotwalls.com/index.php/Main_Page

notworksafe

Sweet topic! Well here's my MVS, outside has been redone but the hardware is the old stuff. I did put Universe BIOS on it because its a no brainer.

I've got KOF 98, Fatal Fury 2, SamSho, SamSho 2, Windjammers, a 161-in-1 cart, and best fighter of all time...World Heroes Perfect!

Looking to increase my game count, but the process is a slow one. I'll get there though!

EDIT: For those saying they want an MVS, check Craigslist. You can find good condition MVS cabs for 250-300 on there. Or get a rougher one and fix it up. Putting elbow grease into your cabinet is the best way to build a bond with it!

Tripon

I need SNK-Playmore to release Garou: Mark of the Wolves with improved netcode.

And whatever happened to the sequel directed by Falcoon?

IrishNinja

so Mercutio showed his setup in the Saturn thread, and got me thinking about an Omega unit down the road...looks like a really well packaged consollized MVS, anyone else have any impressions/details on them? not even sure how much they go for, but this thread & everything ive read since really does point to MVS > AES, especially for cart prices. looks like RGB's no trouble, gonna watch some stuff on it to see how it is for regions/etc.

*edit dammnnnn

Top Bottom