• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Thanks mkenyon! I'm stealing your case and your desk! Buying myself an IKEA Galant, though just the small on (48" x 24"). The adjustable height makes it perfect for my needs. I just need a way to raise my TV a bit. Not sure if I want to go the wire rack route.

mkenyon

Banned
No galant for me. I went to IKEA once like 6 years ago. When I got a dirty look for walking the opposite way that the arrow pointed, I decided never again.

That place is consumer hell.

TheExodu5

Banned
No galant for me. I went to IKEA once like 6 years ago. When I got a dirty look for walking the opposite way that the arrow pointed, I decided never again.

Ah. Well, at the very least, I got the idea from you. D:

It's hard to find a desk where I can have a full sized keyboard and 13" mousepad nice and level with my chair armrests.

edit: found a perfect stand for my TV. My TV's base is about 17" x 9", and this stand 20" x 12", with adjustable height from 1" to 5.875". Matches the black/brown IKEA Galant perfectly as well. Excellent!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hi guys,
I'm currently interested in building a rig,
With the gtx 680 in it,
is it possible for me to build a rig where the system won't bottleneck the vga, with budget around 1000$? A bit higher is considered okay for the budget.

Also, I dont really get the difference in the price of motherboard, if I won't overclock the system, which motherboard and processor will suit me the best, considering that I don't have any knowledge in flashing or overclocking and just want to use the system as it is? Since I see that the motherboard that people use is around 150-200$, whats the difference between those? like PCIE 3.0?

So what I need is, A system with gtx 680 that wont bottleneck, with the budget around 1000$ with ivy bridge preferably, and with no intention to overclock and stuff.Just for gaming and daily use. Thanks for the help guys!
Enhanced build + GTX680. Done. Swap in a 3570K if you want Ivy for whatever reason.
Noticed the new motherboard updates.

If deciding between the ASUS P8Z68-V LE and the P8Z77-V LK, would I be crazy not to go for the LK?

LK sounds like it is slightly more futureproof (supports Ivy), but it is also very new and the LE has been around and is known to be good/stable, which is what I really want. Motherboard choice is really giving me a headache.
Get the LK. ASUS shouldn't even be selling a board that can't do 8x/8x at that price (LE).

mkenyon

Banned
There's always the wire rack too!

K. I have my project planned. I'll probably do a log once parts arrive on OCN, then maybe post the whole thing here as an "intro to watercooling" guide.

Motherboard - G1 Assassin 2 X79
Processor - i7 3820
RAM - 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile (white 1.35v)
SSD - Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GB
Case - Lian Li V750
GPU - undecided. Either 7970, 2x7970, or 690.
PSU - Corsair AX850 w/ white unisleeved cables.
Radiators - Alphacool 240mm UT60 in the front, Alphacool 360mm UT30 in the roof, and then *maybe* a UT45 in the floor. Probably not though.
Res/pump - Alphacool Repack single bay w/ 2x DC-LT Ceramic pumps
CPU Block - XSPC Raystorm
VGA Block - EK 7970 or 690
Coolant - Mayhem's Mint Green, might add some of the green dye if its not quite vibrant enough.
Fans - BitFenix Spectre Pro White Blades (non-LED) if available. Otherwise GT AP15's which I'll have to paint.

Black anodized exterior, and entirely white powdercoated interior. Been wanting to do a white and green build for quite a while, and it just so happens that good parts line up with the color theme. Going to have to cut the top to fit the 360mm radiator as well. If there isn't enough clearance, I'll probably just cut out a really wide section and offset it to keep the aluminum panel/grill centered. Might also do some cutting on the front panel to fit in a Lian Li fan controller, removing the USB 2.0 and firewire port. Would mount it vertically.

I have the jigsaw and dremel ready, time to get a little crazy.

Ledsen

I've been wondering:

Ivy Bridge

- Overclocks worse than 2500k (which overclocks easily by changing just one value in BIOS)
- Is more expensive than 2500k

Why is anyone at all buying it? Is there really a good reason except wanting to own the newest tech even though it's not really better (but still more expensive)? Or am I totally missing something?

I've been wondering:

Ivy Bridge

- Overclocks worse than 2500k (which overclocks easily by changing just one value in BIOS)

Why is anyone at all buying it? Is there really a good reason except wanting to own the newest tech even though it's not really better (but still more expensive)? Or am I totally missing something?

It has a better feature set, but none of the advances help with gaming. They are supposed to be priced at parity, so Intel isn't claiming its a better chip for most people, just the latest.

I've been wondering:

Ivy Bridge

not everyone enjoys running their components out of spec by overclocking. the additional 5% in performance is dubious at best.

Valravn

God i love my Carbide 500R. Very good cable management possibilities and the fan controller on the front of the case is very handy. I put it on the lowest speed when im not gaming but even on the highest setting its relatively quiet. The stock fans come with a white LED but you can switch them off with a button on the front of case.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm trying to find a small USB IR receiver that wouldn't stick out from the slot, kinda like the Logitech G700 adapter, to use with a MCE remote. Any suggestions?

Hawk269

Need some help with my laptop. Whenever I use google, bing, yahoo or any other searc engine and click on the link of whatever site I am looking for it takes me to some weird site called happli. This did not happen earlier today. I did a virus search and adaware,but nothing was found.

What else can I do?

Enhanced build + GTX680. Done. Swap in a 3570K if you want Ivy for whatever reason.

Get the LK. ASUS shouldn't even be selling a board that can't do 8x/8x at that price (LE).

if I don't overclock, is 3550 enough for gtx680?or 3570k is still a better solution?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Need some help with my laptop. Whenever I use google, bing, yahoo or any other searc engine and click on the link of whatever site I am looking for it takes me to some weird site called happli. This did not happen earlier today. I did a virus search and adaware,but nothing was found.

What else can I do?
CCleaner, clear hosts file, MSE, MalwareBytes, Super Anti Spyware
if I don't overclock, is 3550 enough for gtx680?or 3570k is still a better solution?
A 3550 will do very well. I'd suggest a 2500K or 3570K in case you do decide to overclock, and also the fact that reselling it will be much easier.

demolitio

Quick question that I figured I'd ask here: I gave my old monitor to my mom as an upgrade over her previous monitor and she said I could do whatever with that one. Could I take that monitor that's 1024x768 and use it as a second monitor to go along with my 1080p one and use it for other stuff while playing games? I read about someone browsing the internet on a second screen while they were playing a game and it sounded good to me since I don't know what else to do with it so I was wondering if it was possible. If so, would it take a lot of performance away on my 6970? Thanks.

Oh, and I still can't find a good price on a Bluray drive. :mad:

It has a better feature set, but none of the advances help with gaming. They are supposed to be priced at parity, so Intel isn't claiming its a better chip for most people, just the latest.

Supposed to be priced at parity, but at newegg they aren't. Which reminds me, newegg seems to be kind of bad at pricing lately. Some of the Bulldozers got an official price cut recently, and Newegg either doesn't reflect them or still prices them $10-$15 over MSRP. Anyways in the case of Ivy Bridge, the 3.4 ghz model is 249 at newegg, while the 3.3ghz 2500k is 219. The 3.1 ghz IB is 199, but even if you assume IB is 5% faster per clock, it's still slower than the 2500k. The way newegg prices, there's no advantage to IB.

Just like video cards, there's a lot of crapiness in the pricing at these new nodes, and some blame seems to fall on newegg as well.

not everyone enjoys running their components out of spec by overclocking. the additional 5% in performance is dubious at best.

I dont love overclocking myself, but you can do a LOT more than 5%...for instance take and AMD 7950, you might be able to get that from a stock of 800 mhz, to 1200. That's 50%.

longdi

Banned
I've been wondering:

Ivy Bridge

3570k overclocks well enough. dont look at the raw ghz..a 3570k at 4.7ghz is as fast as a 2500k at 4.9-5ghz....while drawing lesser wattage from your outlet

while ivy bridge does not overclock like a dream, there are many good reasons to get ivy bridge...more efficient, better igpu, usb3.0, pcie3.0...i will get ivy bridge any day...but not with the early bird mark up..

mkenyon

Banned
PCgaf, recommend me some cool looking, budget ATX mid cases!

please and thank you
OP.

Also, dear god, what have I done.

FPnPa.png

cilonen

I like their furniture but their stores are like the physical manifestation of a migraine. I think Half Life 3 will just be the G-Man dropping Gordon at the entrance, laughing manically as he leaves, locking you in.

Edit: so close to doing what you've just done. So. Damn. Close.

Spitz

Just finished my new PC for the next 4 Years the last one was build around a Intel Quad Core Q9300 with Gigabyte EP 35 DS4 Motherboard.

New:
Core i7 3770K Ivy Bridge
Antec H2O 920 Water Cooling
ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Corsair Vengeance 16GB-Kit (4 x 4GB-Module), 1600MHZ CL9
Corsair Graphite 600T Mesh case modded with Caseking King Mod Damping Set
BeQuiet Straight Power E9 480W CM
Samsung SSD 830 256GB

from old PC:
4 Hard Drives (2x 2.0 TB, 2x 1.5 TB )

Now waiting for the new Nvidia Mid Range Graphics Cards. The amount of connection possibilities with this new Motherboard and Case are truly amazing. And the case is a dream to hide cables.

Ledsen

3570k overclocks well enough. dont look at the raw ghz..a 3570k at 4.7ghz is as fast as a 2500k at 4.9-5ghz....while drawing lesser wattage from your outlet

while ivy bridge does not overclock like a dream, there are many good reasons to get ivy bridge...more efficient, better igpu, usb3.0, pcie3.0...i will get ivy bridge any day...but not with the early bird mark up..

Ah, that makes it a bit more understandable. And at least over here (Sweden) 3750k costs only a fraction more than 2500k, so totally worth it then. Thanks.

I finally got Windows 7 installed, however upon installing my graphics cards drivers (HD7850) my screen has become covered in flickering artefacts. Has anybody got any ideas on what I can do about this?

mkenyon

Banned
Why is there no monitor recommendation here? Is there another thread for that?
What are you looking for in terms of features? IPS? 120hz? TN and cheap?
I finally got Windows 7 installed, however upon installing my graphics cards drivers (HD7850) my screen has become covered in flickering artefacts. Has anybody got any ideas on what I can do about this?
Uninstall, sweep, reinstall. Might be faulty videocard though. Do you have another system to try it in? Another video card to try in *this* system?

Leckan

Well just in general. A guide of some sort with different price-tiers and so on. Like we have with everything else.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Right now I personally don't feel comfortable having the chip running at 80C+ load and nearing 1.3V on 22nm tri-gate to get 4.7Ghz.
When you get up there I believe the load savings are about null too.
Well just in general. A guide of some sort with different price-tiers and so on. Like we have with everything else.
No one has volunteered. Also Monitors go on deep sales here and there pretty often so you can save some good change by buying something now on the list and still have a great monitor.

I could round up monitor reviews and put stuff up, but I'd rather someone with more knowledge about the details of the panels do so.

What are you looking for in terms of features? IPS? 120hz? TN and cheap?

Uninstall, sweep, reinstall. Might be faulty videocard though. Do you have another system to try it in? Another video card to try in *this* system?

Unfortunately no on both ends. Would it be worth attempting to install it in the second PCIE slot?

silverstone rv02!

I like how pushing $200 is considered budget casing now. Ahh PC gaming, you never change.

Like when I read reviews for what i consider an expensive case, aka ~$130, and the reviewer will basically say "ehh, it's ok for a low end product" or something.

Kind of reminds me of car reviewers, who are so used to driving the top of the line, fully loaded, models the manufacturers send them, they sneer at anything less.

mkenyon

Banned
The stuff in there is a crapton of time and research from lots of different people. The thing about monitors is there's a lot of subjective input. Outside of Exodu5 and a few others who come in every now and then, there's just nobody who is knowledgeable enough to put together something like that. In addition to that, you have a lot of monitors that are released on a very rapid schedule, which makes it a lot harder to keep up with than things like cases or components.

tl;dr, monitors just aren't in the OP, they get answered through posts.
Unfortunately no on both ends. Would it be worth attempting to install it in the second PCIE slot?
Probably not. Was it ever *not* having artifact issues?

Shambles

I like how pushing $200 is considered budget casing now. Ahh PC gaming, you never change.

Like when I read reviews for what i consider an expensive case, aka ~$130, and the reviewer will basically say "ehh, it's ok for a low end product" or something.

Kind of reminds me of car reviewers, who are so used to driving the top of the line, fully loaded, models the manufacturers send them, they sneer at anything less.

Yeah, there's a fair number of enthusiasts who are out of touch with most peoples needs, and understandably so. For people who are only able to afford a 6850 or GTX 460 spending more than 40-60$ on a case is just silly. Only when you start maxing out components in your system is it worth it to put any extra money in your budget towards peripherals. Who cares if a case is easier to work in if you're giving up 30% gaming performance in order to be able to fit it in your budget. But hey if you're rocking a GTX 680 and a 2600K you've pretty much maxxed out consumer grade products and spending an extra $100 on a case only makes a small fraction of the total system budget when moving to a SB-E system.

Takuan

So, I was running Prime95 when I got a message from AISuite saying my motherboard temperature was 123 degrees C. I thought it was reporting things, so I checked in HWINFO:
captureydudb.png

Look at the Nuvoton section. Uh, should I be worried? They didn't even go down after I stopped Prime95 (no errors reported before then, either).

Edit: Rebooted and temps are back down to 29.5 degrees C. I'm worried I've done permanent damage to the motherboard.

Edit 2: Ok, apparently this is a software conflict issue. Happens when running several temperature monitor softwares at the same time (I was running 3) which can cause sensor read errors.

Edit 3: Asus' AISuite software is a piece of shit. I can't disable features without running into access violation errors... garbage.

longdi

Banned
ivy bridge optimizes out at 4.4-4.5ghz at under 1.25v, 77w tdp...beat that sandy! which is all good enough for daily use....
4.7ghz is like for benchmarker's runs as does sandy bridge at 5ghz.

strem

Okay guys I need help. I've finally hooked my PC up to my living room TV.

Found a good wireless mouse but finding a descent wireless keyboard has proved tricky. Reviews are all over the place and most don't pertain to gaming.

I'm not looking to play competitive Starcraft or anything. Just tooling around in WoW or playing the million Steam single player games I own.

I would love to get some of your opinions/experiences

Arken2121

Ok so I just started purchasing a few parts and it should be finished relatively soon. The bottom two arrived yesterday while the top two arrived today.

TfZ6D.jpg

I'd like to thank mkenyon for helping me put together this build. He had a lot of patience explaining things to me and staying with me every step of the way.

Isocr4cy

Question for anyone willing to help...

Basically, I built my PC in 2008 (AMD HD4850 GPU/Pre-SB Intel Quad Core CPU) and for quite a while now I've been planning on upgrading. I missed all of Sandy Bridge but figured I would build my new PC this year with the new AMD/Nvidia cards & Ivy Bridge. Now that the time has come, however, I am having second thoughts. If I upgrade, I'm basically going to start over from scratch (new case, hdd's, ram, etc...), so I'm looking at spending around $2000. Do you guys think I should hold off for the year and wait for Haswell? I don't have the greatest knowledge of PC components, but if Haswell turns out to be more in-line with next-gen console CPU's and runs next-gen console optimized games tons better than SB/IB, wouldn't it be better to wait, as I'd need to re-buy another new motherboard for Haswell or should I take the risk and do a full upgrade now knowing that I may need to upgrade yet again in 1-2 years? Or am I out of line with this thought?

mkenyon

Banned
Ok so I just started purchasing a few parts and it should be finished relatively soon. The bottom two arrived yesterday while the top two arrived today.

I'd like to thank mkenyon for helping me put together this build. He had a lot of patience explaining things to me and staying with me every step of the way.
See, me helping you with this warped my perception of acceptable price. I blame the 690 on you!

No, once I installed the drivers it started to happen. I installed MSI afterburner (it's a twin forza model) and it was reading core voltage and shader cores as 0.
Probably a bad card. You really need another system to be able to test it in. Nothing at all withj PCI-E? Friend maybe?
Found a good wireless mouse but finding a descent wireless keyboard has proved tricky. Reviews are all over the place and most don't pertain to gaming.
All over the board, but people seem enamored with the logitech illuminated wireless one. I've had really good experience with my Rappoo slim, but I don't think I'd suggest it for gaming.

Do you guys think I should hold off for the year and wait for Haswell? I don't have the greatest knowledge of PC components, but if Haswell turns out to be more in-line with next-gen console CPU's and runs next-gen console optimized games tons better than SB/IB, wouldn't it be better to wait, as I'd need to re-buy another new motherboard for Haswell or should I take the risk and do a full upgrade now knowing that I may need to upgrade yet again in 1-2 years? Or am I out of line with this thought?
No one knows either way, speculation would be entirely masturbatory at this point.

Stuff is killer right now, and barely being used. Most games are still coded for two threads or fewer. $2K is a lot of money on a build with things the way there are right now too.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member

TfZ6D.jpg

Well thats where they went.

Basically I am going to buy which ever comes in stock first 680 or 690.

Probably a bad card. You really need another system to be able to test it in. Nothing at all withj PCI-E? Friend maybe?

Nobody I know IRL has a gaming PC. However after taking the card out and trying to switch to the chipset graphics I discovered I was having the same problems, I was able to resolve them by switching from DVI to VGA. So I decided I'd put the card back in and try it on HDMI (I know I'm dumb for not doing this before) and the only issues so far was overscan which was easily resolved. I'm dling 3dmark to check if it's running alright as I type this.

mkenyon

Banned
Wow, I had never even thought of that. Good find!

When I plug in LCD screens to a VGA, I get horribly nauseous, so I haven't in a really long time.

Isocr4cy

If I do go through with the build this is what I currently had in mind:

Motherboard/CPU/RAM Bundle: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_3770K_Z77V_PAT16GB

Video Card (Have always gone with AMD, but might switch to Nvidia this time around): http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX37638

HDD's (1 SSD/1 normal): http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2318705&CatId=5300 / http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX36849

Power Supply(Probably too much): http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX32589

Thoughts? Also, If I am planning on getting 3TB worth of HDD, would it be smarter to buy mulitple drives, or just a single 3TB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom