• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

As far as Glitch, my mixtape is only Attrition, Bounty Hunt, LTS and Titan Brawl. No PVP or CTF.

Im not sure how the algorithm works, lik if getting into a match of CTF on Glitch reduces your chances of getting into an Attrition match on Glitch within X time, for the sake of variety or whatnot.

So like, if Glitch is high frequency in CTF or PVP and you're seeing it there, maybe that's indirectly limiting your chances of seeing it in Attrition because the game doesn't want you playing the same map a ton of times in a short span as you bounce around modes?

With just those four modes, I get Glitch in Attrition a few times a day, though nowhere near as much as the OOTB maps. I'd guess I see each of the standard maps 3x more often than any of the new maps aside from Colony, which feels like it comes up every 6 or 7 matches.

Miker

Is Angel City known for having a poor framerate vs other maps? Just running around in that map without any action brings my framerate down to the 50s whereas it's ~80 in other maps. This is on PC but I'm curious as to whether it's true on console as well.

Is Angel City known for having a poor framerate vs other maps? Just running around in that map without any action brings my framerate down to the 50s whereas it's ~80 in other maps. This is on PC but I'm curious as to whether it's true on console as well.

I have that problem too.

I also have that problem on PC, including the other remastered Titanfall 1 maps

E92 M3

Accidentally forgot to reset boost and titan after a regen, so played a match with Ion for basically the first time since Monarch dropped.

Felt weird for a bit, but got back into it. Man did Respawn go a little heavy on the nerfs with my baby.

I get it, you dont want players demolishing people with double-tap into primary pester into chest laser, repeat. It was too powerful.

Knocking down the damage AND increasing energy usage per laser shot? Come on. One of those two would have been enough.

But Im biased. I was an Ion player from day 1 up until Monarch dropped. I was a true blue titan loyalist.

That's why I hate nerfs.

That's why I hate nerfs.

I don't mind nerfs, sometimes they're necessary.

I just don't think they should have nerfed her from both ends, turning down the damage AND increasing the energy consumption to make you wait longer between shots. I think nerfing one or the the other would have been enough to bring her back in line with the other Titans.

It's kind of ironic... Respawn spent months making ticky-tacky changes to Tone that really didn't impact her at all before finally getting her right. Ion, they did the opposite. Just significant changes back to back.

Sigh.

Incoming rant.....

So I'm playing a game on War Games. Match is close, the matchmaking worked out this time. Back and forth, go on a good run, score is still close. It's a fun time.

I drop in Monarch, 2nd to fall on my team (earned it first, waited for somebody else, because a lone Monarch up against anything but a lone Scorch is a pretty bad matchup). Soon after more Titans on both sides start dropping in. Shit starts getting real. Pilot vs pilot vs titan vs titan, it's everything great about TitanFall.

I'm doing well. My positioning on approach is strong, I'm retreating at the right times, landing my shots, timing my ability usage well. Feeling flow... that sense where time is slowing down, it feels like you're operating a beat ahead of what's happening on screen... like I could put the controller down, go grab a drink, come back, and still be ahead of the curve in perfect shape.

I'm fighting 1v2 against enemy Titans towards the heart of the map. It's ok though, both they and I are survivors of previous scuffles, I'm core lvl 2, approaching 3. Again, my aim, ability usage timing, dashing to cover and back into the shit, it's all feeling so good.

Suddenly, upon an attempted retreat, I can't move. I know the map. War Games isn't Crash Site garbage, there's very little nonsense geometry to get caught on, and I know there's no wall behind me.

No. It's a Reaper. Recently spawned, behind me, so that I had no idea it was even on the map, and humping the back of my leg like a retarded scottish terrier. Despite being 3 times its size, it stops me dead upon impact. The Legion I was attempting to bait towards a corner I could use to cut his aiming line of sight and trap with smoke, now had a straight shot on an immobile target in a tight space. His buddy, not far away that I was also [previously] keeping at bay jumped on the opportunity as well.

Bye-bye lvl 3 core. Eject and hope to live another day, all the skill, all the good decisions, everything you want a player to feel in a match rendered completely worthless, all because of a garbage sandbox element that offers ZERO to the experience in ANY scenario.

Somebody, ANYBODY, name a situation you had that was improved by a Reaper. One. I'd love to hear the hypothetical situation where I go 'wow, that braindead AI bullet-sponge really fucking added to the firefight I was just having'

Enough.

ENOUGH.

A year out, nothing has changed. This garbage has been a constant from day one, not a fucking thing done. Not even an attempt at anything done. Not a reduction in numbers, not a fucking tweak to damage output or taken, not a change to the simple fact that hitting them with a goddamn titan may as well be hitting a WALL in a titan. Nothing.

/rant

Stalker damage needs to be removed from Attrition. Such a dumb, dumb decision to include that. I was fighting another titan and an enemy stalker pod drops next to me... I now have to decide to waste my time punching them and eat titan damage or continue blocking titan damage for stalker damage? They both amount to the same damage anyway. Stupid

Remove the stalker damage from Attrition! No one cares about clear a group in this mode!

Crash Site alone makes me hate this game

Crash and I had a good run after that terrible match! Had some close games but nothing that was as aggravating as a G2 group.

Ya that colony match was aggravating. I also got tripped up on Crash Site. Not up to my normal standards - but I had some dental work done this morning so I'll chock it up to the meds :p

I just bought the game again since it was on sale on Amazon would you guys recommend one of the DLC bundles? What all comes in them I see Prime Titans but that's it.

Arrrammis

I just bought the game again since it was on sale on Amazon would you guys recommend one of the DLC bundles? What all comes in them I see Prime Titans but that's it.

The all of the DLC is purely cosmetic; It's warpaint for titans, camos, callsigns, etc.. All of the maps, modes, etc. are completely free and in the game. The Prime Titans are just different aesthetic options for a given titan that has a different execution.

If you want to get one but just don't know which, look at which prime titans each has or which camos you want. Also, keep in mind that you can buy the camos, prime titans, etc. seperately for very good prices (20 camos for all weapons, pilots, and titans for $3.99).

I've been playing the destiny beta since tuesday and switched back to this last night.

I got decimated. It's amazing how fluid the movement is in this game. Destiny is so stiff/slow in comparison.

fucked up my titanfall skill haha.

Drewfonse

Can't wait for Tuesday! Frontier Defense and a Scorch buff on the same day. I know that Scorch isn't viewed highly, but he's fun as hell to play with, and I can really hold my own with him.

Had some fun with Odysseus earlier today. This game is just so addictively fun. Even on mediocre matches I'm still finding ways to have fun and experiment with new loadouts.

I've been playing Legion for weeks and finally mixed it up. Hopped back into Ion and it was like riding a bike - so easy to pick back up and laser snipe.

I used to play a lot of Tone before the nerfs and he just doesn't feel as fun anymore. Feel like other Titans have a lot more utility and variety in approaches now. Maybe need to warm back up to him again.

mates, pls recommend me the best loadout for this game, currently use standard assault rifle + stim + lock-on rocket. i'm liking the ronin titan, scorch sucks ass

I basically run 3 loadouts, depending on map and mood.

1) Run and Gun

Ability: Stim or Phase Shift
Primary: CAR
Anti-Titan: Charge Rifle or MGL
Secondary: Mozambique
Grenade: Arc Grenade
Kit 1: Power Cell
Kit 2: Low Profile

I should probably use MGL with this instead of the charge rifle, but at this point I'm so comfortable with the Charge Rifle, that I can bounce around and phase shift all over Titans, landing charge shots, and eating through damage. Plus, I like having the ability to pester at range to help teammates out, without necessarily having to cross the distance and give up position I think is more valuable. Finally, it doubles as a sniper rifle against stupid, immobile opponents.

2) Versatile

Ability: Pulse Blade or Phase Shift
Primary: R201 or R101
Anti-Titan: Charge Rifle or Archer Rocket
Secondary: P2016

Mid-range. I can still run and gun a bit with it since the hip fire is useable, but I can also hang back and play a bit more passive, use Pulse Blade to highlight enemies for myself and my teammates. If my teammates prove incapable of taking advantage, I just swap to phase shift and use it purely defensively as opposed to aggressively like with the CAR.

3) Long Range

Ability: Pulse Blade or Stim
Primary: G2

Basically just pick off guys from distance. I try to reposition after every kill or two. Very 'hurry up and stop' play-style. Run around the map at full tilt, but stop and pull up ADS when I spot an enemy, repeat.

I used to swap between Amped Damage and Battery boosts, but now that Amped Damage has been nerfed into oblivion, I pretty much run Battery exclusively. If for some reason I hate myself and am playing PVP, I'll use the Smart Pistol.

As far as Titans, if you like Ronin, keep using him. He's one of the better Titans currently, if you can use him well. I'd personally sort the Titan tiers as follows:

Tier 1: Ronin, Ion, Northstar
Tier 2: Tone, Monarch
Tier 3: Legion
Shit Tier: Scorch

Had some fun with Odysseus earlier today. This game is just so addictively fun. Even on mediocre matches I'm still finding ways to have fun and experiment with new loadouts.

I've been playing Legion for weeks and finally mixed it up. Hopped back into Ion and it was like riding a bike - so easy to pick back up and laser snipe.

I used to play a lot of Tone before the nerfs and he just doesn't feel as fun anymore. Feel like other Titans have a lot more utility and variety in approaches now. Maybe need to warm back up to him again.

Yeah, we had some good games! I dont know why but I've been playing a lot of Ion lately. Feels good. It also gives me an excuse to shine with my gold warpaint :p

giphy.gif

Legion is most definitely Tier 1. I would place Monarch at Tier 2 because of such a weak defensive ability compared to others. Scorch is bottom Tier. No doubt.

I don't really think there's a Titan matchup Legion wins head-to-head besides Scorch and Monarch before core 2.

Unless a player is dumb enough to get caught in the open (or have a reaper cut off their retreat....grrr) with no dashes against a Legion, it's just remarkably easy for Ronin and the Atlas class titans to get up close and absolutely abuse him with smoke and exploit his speed deficiency.

Northstar and Ion can both peek him with lasers and charge shots from cover rather easily, Ion's void shield isn't quite as useful against him but still makes him look silly. Ronin can block his bullets, get in close, and scoot around him and just gut him like a fish.

Scorch is the only Titan on the battlefield I fear less than Legion. Generally speaking, if a Legion is able to chew through me, it's because I fucked up badly enough in my positioning and awareness to make it happen.

But it's all opinion.

If you destroy with Legion, all good. I certainly don't/can't.

Oh, and I already had Monarch in Tier 2. Partly because of the defensive deficiency, and partly because she needs to get to core 2 to really start winning matchups against the likes of Ronin. Until Core 2, Legion is really a tough matchup for Monarch. You can beat them, but you're better off not getting into 1v1 with them until you get enhanced smoke.

grendelrt

Yeah 1 on 1 is one thing, but in general game play I don't have issues with legion. The only Titan I do not play is scorch, so I think everything else is tier 1 or 2. Scorch is definitely tier 3 or 4 lol.

JoeLT

Really wish they would weigh their DLC maps more heavily in rotation, or give us map voting or something, even map preferences. The original maps are really killing this game for me, they're just not fun, but every single DLC map has been a blast but I feel like I never play them. I've never gotten War Games, I've played Glitch maybe once and I play a fair bit.

I basically run 3 loadouts, depending on map and mood.

1) Run and Gun

Ability: Stim or Phase Shift
Primary: CAR
Anti-Titan: Charge Rifle or MGL
Secondary: Mozambique

I should probably use MGL with this instead of the charge rifle, but at this point I'm so comfortable with the Charge Rifle, that I can bounce around and phase shift all over Titans, landing charge shots, and eating through damage. Plus, I like having the ability to pester at range to help teammates out, without necessarily having to cross the distance and give up position I think is more valuable. Finally, it doubles as a sniper rifle against stupid, immobile opponents.

2) Versatile

Ability: Pulse Blade or Phase Shift
Primary: R201 or R101

Mid-range. I can still run and gun a bit with it since the hip fire is useable, but I can also hang back and play a bit more passive, use Pulse Blade to highlight enemies for myself and my teammates. If my teammates prove incapable of taking advantage, I just swap to phase shift and use it purely defensively as opposed to aggressively like with the CAR.

3) Long Range

Ability: Pulse Blade or Stim
Primary: G2

Basically just pick off guys from distance. I try to reposition after every kill or two. Very 'hurry up and stop' play-style. Run around the map at full tilt, but stop and pull up ADS when I spot an enemy, repeat.

I used to swap between Amped Damage and Battery boosts, but now that Amped Damage has been nerfed into oblivion, I pretty much run Battery exclusively. If for some reason I hate myself and am playing PVP, I'll use the Smart Pistol.

As far as Titans, if you like Ronin, keep using him. He's one of the better Titans currently, if you can use him well. I'd personally sort the Titan tiers as follows:

Tier 1: Ronin, Ion, Northstar
Tier 2: Tone, Monarch
Shit Tier: Scorch
Cheers, ill give them a shot. Havnt unlocked phaseshift yet just got into playing tf2

Keasar

I hate Attrition.

But getting any other gamemode to play takes 5 minutes instead of 5 seconds. It's such a garbage gamemode yet it's the only one people seem to play.

JoeLT

I hate Attrition.

But getting any other gamemode to play takes 5 minutes instead of 5 seconds. It's such a garbage gamemode yet it's the only one people seem to play.
It's the only mode with bots on each team, you can thank Respawn for that. I would play other modes like Hardpoint if it was like it was in the original.

Keasar

It's the only mode with bots on each team, you can thank Respawn for that. I would play other modes like Hardpoint if it was like it was in the original.

I know! Still don't understand that decision!

Players: "Waaah I don't like the bots make it so chaotic."
*keeps playing attrition anyway, the most chaotic and random mode in the game.*
Respawn: "Okay so we're removing all bots from all other gamemodes nobody else plays so that they will want to play them."
*keeps playing attrition anyway*

GAAAAAH!

I hate Attrition.

It's the same in almost every FPS.

Halo, COD, etc. It feels like 80% of the population just wants the basic shoot-shit mode, and 20% of the population is divided among the rest of the modes.

I don't really blame Respawn for that, I don't think having the bots in the mode would have magically made more people play them.

What I DO blame Respawn for is the UI the game launched with, which put several modes completely off-screen and out of mind. A lot of them were basically still-born outside the diehard community, just cause so many players didn't even realize they were there.... by the time they did, the population was already down, and there was a clear divide between those who were great at those modes, and those that were just starting.

Jumping into a CTF match as a CTF noob after the UI overhaul was basically like feeding babes to lions. They had no shot to succeed or have any fun.

Drifters

I'm convinced the Scorch buff is going to be the longer you hold aim the more Thermite comes out like NorthStar. I could see that as a game changer along with a two-shell gun.

Anyways... why the hell is the Mastiff making a come back?

TikeMyson

I picked this up this friday in the PSN summer sale... this game is a god damn blast.

Never thought I'd like this. I played Titanfall 1 for maybe 3 or 4 hours on PC and didn't bother to buy Titanfall 2. Never have I been so wrong. Everything feels perfect and straight to the point. The movement speed, the controls... absolutely great. Even when I'm on the losing side it is a ton of fun, because games are really close. I'm only 2 hours in yet, because I also play BF1... but my playtime will grow really really fast.

Did they nerf scorch or did he just fall out of the meta? I remember him kicking ass a few months ago, especially on cqc maps

I don't remember him ever kicking ass, but no, no nerfs to speak of. The community just figured out that the other Titans had a better balance of survivability, versatility, and DPS, and moved away from him as a result.

I picked this up this friday in the PSN summer sale... this game is a god damn blast.

Never thought I'd like this. I played Titanfall 1 for maybe 3 or 4 hours on PC and didn't bother to buy Titanfall 2. Never have I been so wrong. Everything feels perfect and straight to the point. The movement speed, the controls... absolutely great. Even when I'm on the losing side it is a ton of fun, because games are really close. I'm only 2 hours in yet, because I also play BF1... but my playtime will grow really really fast.

I wanna play where you're playing.

Glad you're enjoying it. When everything comes together, I don't think there's a better shooter out there as far as raw gameplay mechanics. Just wish those perfect storms of everything coming together happened more often. As it stands, they happen just enough to keep you dedicated to getting the next hit.

Monarch ate its lunch

Eh, Scorch was already at the bottom of the Titan ladder well before Monarch showed up.

Like, I'm trying to think back to when Scorch wasn't at or near the bottom of the meta.

On day 1, it was

1) Tone, Ion
2) Legion, Ronin
3) Northstar, Scorch

IMO

From there, nerfs and buffs happened, some titans moved up and down as both direct and indirect result, but Scorch always stayed pretty low. He never got any major changes, and none of the changes to the other titans really impacted him much as far as opening a hole or him to exploit and move up the meta.

Top Bottom