• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2013: Vita Has Games

Any chance we can add Demon Gaze to the OP's list? Or Samurai and Dragons?

And (perhaps more likely) the Legend of Heroes game for VITA?

Also Over My Dead Body was going to get a sequel.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
With lots of indie games froPC and remote play from PS4, its like project shield

I actually like the PC Indy stuff though, I think a lot of it suits a handheld platform, lets me play on the sofa in the evening with headphones.

Bigger memory cards Sony.

Now.

Does the recent update mean you can swap memory cards with no problems? Keeps icon placement, wallpaper and screen setup etc?

AniHawk

tearaway might push me to get a vita (along with a couple other nice surprises).

it's a genuinely charming game, and i'm not sure how mediamolecule did it. a lot of times, going for an aesthetic to appear charming or cute comes off as cloying and forced. disney infinity would be a good example of the latter.

where tearaway succeeds is its ability to make you feel part of its world. it starts off by asking for your information: height, hair color, eye color, skin tone, gender, etc. then it lets you choose who you wish your messenger, and it's off you go. the messenger has a letter to deliver to the sun. as it turns out, the sun is you, the god of this world. and so you become a character within the world of this game. this is apparent early on when your fingers, constructed as closely as possible from the information given, pop through the bottom of the floor of the world and help the messenger continue on their way. to remove any doubt that you are the god of this world, the camera also pans up to the sky to reveal your face in the center of the sun, thanks to the front-facing camera on the vita. it's a simple effect used well to make the player feel integral to the game's world.

that is important because you will be manhandling the vita quite a lot during the game. in the beginning, the messenger will only be able to jump whenever you tap the rear touch pad while the messenger is standing on drum-like circles. how hard you touch the pad determines how high he'll jump. the nice thing about this is, there is no tutorial. everything is learned through level design, and there are even nice little secrets hidden away early on if you feel you have sufficiently mastered this skill.

the game also had me make a crown for a squirrel. during this part, i could make it any design i pleased and resize it all through the use of the touch screen. when it was finished, i could take a picture of the squirrel, and one of the backgrounds i could choose was created using the real world thanks to the back-facing camera on the vita. from then on, whenever the squirrel would appear, he would be wearing the crown made for him.

from what i played, the messenger's main attack is done by picking things up and throwing them at enemies. the picking-and-throwing was also used a lot to solve puzzles during the demo.

towards the end of this demo, the messenger is chastised for relying too much on god, and to use their own legs for once. from here on, the messenger is able to jump using the x button. however, the designers spent most of this time getting the player used to being much more physical with the vita in a natural way, so those elements don't seem gimmicky or forced. i think the paper aesthetic of the game is a great choice, as it's something we as people manipulate all the time. the game just oozes good design.

the part the demo ends, the messenger is told that they might be able to get closer to the sun on a hill off in the distance. and this journey-esque type of progression will serve this style of platformer well. there was a great mix of vertical and horizontal platforming, and i can't wait to see more.

DirtRiver

What I want is cheaper memory cards goddamit. That's the one thing that is holding me back from getting one (retailers here seem to have taken upon themselves to lower the price of the Vita already).

Is there any way Sony can update through software the Vita to allow non-proprietary memory cards? If they would just do that I would bolt from my chair the moment I read about it and get one of these babies.

Jennipeg

There probably isn't much there to make someone go out and buy a Vita, but as someone that already owns one, that looks like a good line up. Since having a Vita, i've been trying out games that I wouldn't normally play, and I haven't played any of the games listed, so I guess that's me set for the next few months. I cannot wait to get Tearaway and Dragon's Crown those are the big 2 for me.

Blinck

Many ports and indies.

I wanted more titles like Gravity Rush. Something original that looks like a vita game - with decent production values that actually uses the power of the handheld.

I recently bought a 32gb card and unfortunately regret it :(

Also, how the hell isn't Jak and Daxter 60fps? It even drops below 30...

PaulloDEC

Lots of neat stuff in there, and a fantastic OP.

Already know I'll be grabbing Tearaway, Killzone and Batman: Blackgate, but Muramasa, Jak and Daxter, Stealth Inc, Hohokum and Counterspy all have my attention too.

Hohokum doesn't look as good as I had anticipated after the reveal info. Pretty bummed by that, was one of the games I was most interested in too...

JWong

Banned
Many ports and indies.

I wanted more titles like Gravity Rush. Something original that looks like a vita game - with decent production values that actually uses the power of the handheld.

I recently bought a 32gb card and unfortunately regret it :(

Also, how the hell isn't Jak and Daxter 60fps? It even drops below 30...

Are you looking at the list? Because Vita original titles are pretty much smack dab on the top.

Thoraxes

Too bad a lot of the games are ones i've already played/will be playing on another system -_-

I am getting Tearaway and Ys though.

tearaway might push me to get a vita (along with a couple other nice surprises).

it's a genuinely charming game, and i'm not sure how mediamolecule did it. a lot of times, going for an aesthetic to appear charming or cute comes off as cloying and forced. disney infinity would be a good example of the latter.

where tearaway succeeds is its ability to make you feel part of its world. it starts off by asking for your information: height, hair color, eye color, skin tone, gender, etc. then it lets you choose who you wish your messenger, and it's off you go. the messenger has a letter to deliver to the sun. as it turns out, the sun is you, the god of this world. and so you become a character within the world of this game. this is apparent early on when your fingers, constructed as closely as possible from the information given, pop through the bottom of the floor of the world and help the messenger continue on their way. to remove any doubt that you are the god of this world, the camera also pans up to the sky to reveal your face in the center of the sun, thanks to the front-facing camera on the vita. it's a simple effect used well to make the player feel integral to the game's world.

that is important because you will be manhandling the vita quite a lot during the game. in the beginning, the messenger will only be able to jump whenever you tap the rear touch pad while the messenger is standing on drum-like circles. how hard you touch the pad determines how high he'll jump. the nice thing about this is, there is no tutorial. everything is learned through level design, and there are even nice little secrets hidden away early on if you feel you have sufficiently mastered this skill.

the game also had me make a crown for a squirrel. during this part, i could make it any design i pleased and resize it all through the use of the touch screen. when it was finished, i could take a picture of the squirrel, and one of the backgrounds i could choose was created using the real world thanks to the back-facing camera on the vita. from then on, whenever the squirrel would appear, he would be wearing the crown made for him.

from what i played, the messenger's main attack is done by picking things up and throwing them at enemies. the picking-and-throwing was also used a lot to solve puzzles during the demo.

towards the end of this demo, the messenger is chastised for relying too much on god, and to use their own legs for once. from here on, the messenger is able to jump using the x button. however, the designers spent most of this time getting the player used to being much more physical with the vita in a natural way, so those elements don't seem gimmicky or forced. i think the paper aesthetic of the game is a great choice, as it's something we as people manipulate all the time. the game just oozes good design.

the part the demo ends, the messenger is told that they might be able to get closer to the sun on a hill off in the distance. and this journey-esque type of progression will serve this style of platformer well. there was a great mix of vertical and horizontal platforming, and i can't wait to see more.
This sounds great.

I think a lot of people were worried the controls in Tearaway would be gimmicky but I haven't heard one person who's actually played it and thought that.

CrisKre

I agree. Played the demo and is the real deal folks. Charming, inventive and fun. Loved how tapping the back panel makes platforms trampoline your character. The music and writing is so refreshingly interesting and breaks the forth wall so effectively. I'll borrow a vita to play it for sure. It, zelda and mario and Luigi where the best portable games on show.

Blinck

that's just the default fanboy response, ignore is the best option

OT: Can't wait to get my hands on Killzone

Really?
I have a Vita, and I am disappointed in it. This makes me a fanboy for what exactly? I'm a fanboy of being disappointed?

What other title in that list, besides Tearaway, fits the description I gave?
An original title (that isn't connected to already established franchises), actually uses the power of the vita hardware and has good production values ?

shink

I'd need triple the memory card size for all these games. Why is it so hard.
I'm still buying retail when possible as a result of this.

Success

Vita = Home of the indies.
It is sad and laughable how much better the 3DS line up is.
The Vita is still one nice piece of hardware.

eorl

Banned
I agree that a lot of these games are "old" but a lot of the indies (Lone Survivor for instance) are debuting their definitive versions on Vita, with PC updates happening later.

I'll certainly be getting Lone Survivor and Hotline Miami even though I already own them on PC.
I wouldn't really call the Vita version "definitive". All they are adding is touchscreen support really. Most of those indie titles that have already seen a release on PC are just being released on Vita to populate more sales, the content hasn't really changed.

Look, I really want to get a Vita, and I may get one when I purchase a PlayStation 4 for off-screen support like my Wii U. However right now it is just way too expensive in Australia if you couple it with a memory card. Take those memory card prices down and I will be happy to throw money at it.
I think you'd find PC is the home of the indies.

Really?
I have a Vita, and I am disappointed in it. This makes me a fanboy for what exactly? I'm a fanboy of being disappointed?

What other title in that list, besides Tearaway, fits the description I gave?
An original title (that isn't connected to already established franchises), actually uses the power of the vita hardware and has good production values ?

what kinda of crazy ass logic is that

here that GTA Liberty City/Vice City stories, Assasin Creed Liberation, Killzone Mercenary, Wipeout 2048. You guys don't count because your connected to another franchise.....

or, Who the fuck cares if it's connected to another franchise so long as the game is good, shit most, as in 90%, of everything that made the Vita such an interesting console is idea that you can take your favorite franchises on the go, that was the fucking point. Because you decided to miss that point completely is your fault. Moral of the story research something before blindly buying into it, you'll save a hell of a lot more money and won't be disappointing

yeah if your fan of that shit upgraded PSP Monster Hunter game and Nintendo franchises sure

Camp Lo

Banned
Damn... that's one hell of a list. I wonder if 3DS compares.

Edit: it doesn't. People seem to think only PKMN matters

AppleBlade

Well, that is all opinion. I own both a 3DS XL and a Vita and I much prefer the Vita's current library and upcoming games. I do know that conventional wisdom is that the 3DS library is better but I am just not excited about a lot of the 3DS's "big" titles. Animal Crossing for example does not excite me at all. I'd rather play almost any game on this list over Animal Crossing. Nintendo's bread and butter is platformers but the variety and uniqueness of the indie platformers on Vita and coming soon also appeal to me more.

Not to mention that the hardware is so much more of a pleasure to play on. As a married father of two small kids (23 months and 2 months) and 50-hour a week job, finding time to game in front of the TV with a console has become much more rare. The Vita's big beautiful OLED makes me not miss consoles or PC but when I was doing my gaming on the 3DS XL's slightly washed out, pixelated screen I kept on wishing I was gaming on my consoles.

I know I am weird though, I also preferred the PSP library to the DS library (though the DS will always have a special place in my heart as the system that lured back into gaming after a multi-year hiatus.

vall03

Sadly, the games I want on the list for this year are Ys and Meruru+, and I'm not in a rush for both games either. Looking at the JP releases, I'm dying for some games to get localized and most of those have little to no chance too, which is a different topic though.

$h@d0w

I wouldn't really call the Vita version "definitive". All they are adding is touchscreen support really. Most of those indie titles that have already seen a release on PC are just being released on Vita to populate more sales, the content hasn't really changed.

I think there are a fair few of the indies with new content and not just touchscreen support.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I can already say i'll buy a good 50%-60% of those games.
Dragon's crown is already preordered! XD

Camp Lo

Banned
Well, that is all opinion. I own both a 3DS XL and a Vita and I much prefer the Vita's current library and upcoming games. I do know that conventional wisdom is that the 3DS library is better but I am just not excited about a lot of the 3DS's "big" titles. Animal Crossing for example does not excite me at all. I'd rather play almost any game on this list over Animal Crossing. Nintendo's bread and butter is platformers but the variety and uniqueness of the indie platformers on Vita and coming soon also appeal to me more.

Not to mention that the hardware is so much more of a pleasure to play on. As a married father of two small kids (23 months and 2 months) and 50-hour a week job, finding time to game in front of the TV with a console has become much more rare. The Vita's big beautiful OLED makes me not miss consoles or PC but when I was doing my gaming on the 3DS XL's slightly washed out, pixelated screen I kept on wishing I was gaming on my consoles.

I know I am weird though, I also preferred the PSP library to the DS library (though the DS will always have a special place in my heart as the system that lured back into gaming after a multi-year hiatus.

That's what annoys me about Nintendo right now. I checked the E3 thread for 3DS games, or lack thereof, and the general consensus was Nintendo's focus is Wii U so play Animal Crossing, PKMN, and shut the fuck up. I'm almost tempted to satisfying my handheld needs with a Vita because of Nintendo's overall complacency.

Top Bottom