• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty S3 |OT| Keeping Summer Safe - Sundays on Adult Swim

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
So the bar I go to has Trivia on Wednesday nights. The first round was Rick and Morty questions and GoT questions. Not the hardest questions but I was the only one who watched the show enough. Won the round.

zeemumu

I'm rewatching Autoerotic Assimilation. It's probably the best indicator of Beth's abandonment issues aside from the Pickle Rick episode.

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but I'm pretty sure this takes place in another parallel reality. Same episode number as Total Rickall, similar character designs for Mr PBH and Nub Nub, and similar continuity breaks (Mr. PBH as a character that always was, Vindicators appearing before, Sterile Earth). Curious to see if they're planning a pay off for this if true.

vypek

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but I'm pretty sure this takes place in another parallel reality. Same episode number as Total Rickall, similar character designs for Mr PBH and Nub Nub, and similar continuity breaks (Mr. PBH as a character that always was, Vindicators appearing before, Sterile Earth). Curious to see if they're planning a pay off for this if true.

There is that theory that the story doesn't always follow the same Rick and Morty we are used to as well.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
season 3 has been pretty damn great. Formula has changed a bit.

I feel like the standard format and the episodes that tend to hit it out of the park are the ones with scifi so high that it's an existential hammer coupled with a B plot with real human drama.

So far to me, pickle rick has been the best at this this season.

Though I liked the 4th episode I felt it was the weakest at this. Though still a great season so far. The human portion was just a lack of humanity while the A plot was super hero satire (though again, still fun).

Episode four was another weak episode to me. The cynicism needed to be turned down a bit. The Vindicators weren't very interesting and not all that entertaining. There wasn't enough time at the beginning of the episode to see them in a more idealized light or even really care that Morty looks up to them. Despite the episode being written by two women the handling of Supernova left a lot to be desired, especially with the cheating subplot.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
There wasn't enough time at the beginning of the episode to see them in a more idealized light or even really care that Morty looks up to them.

Does that matter? The setup only requires that we know that is a thing. The journey is the complete and utter dismantling of that image.

Assuming it doesn't come back to bite Rick in the ass later.

I hope so too. You guys are making comparisons to Bojack Horseman, but Bojack was never this infallible. Bojack is allowed to be wrong, he's allowed to have his bad behavior thrown back in his face, and people who disagree with him aren't dismissed as idiots with invalid arguments.

HariKari

I hope so too. You guys are making comparisons to Bojack Horseman, but Bojack was never this infallible. Bojack is allowed to be wrong, he's allowed to have his bad behavior thrown back in his face, and people who disagree with him aren't dismissed as idiots with invalid arguments.

I have a feeling the season will end with the family still apart but wanting no part of Rick, leaving him truly alone.

hupla

sorry if its been asked before but what's up with the twitter account having morty written like (((morty))) isnt that how neo nazis talk about Jews? it always makes me feel weird when i see the account retweeted

valeo

This annoys me too, but it seems obvious to me that it is setting him up for a fall. If not, it will get boring very quickly.

B33

Banned
sorry if its been asked before but what's up with the twitter account having morty written like (((morty))) isnt that how neo nazis talk about Jews? it always makes me feel weird when i see the account retweeted
It's been co-opted as a form of protest.

Interesting seeing the strong reactions to this season from some so far.
I wasn't too big on episode 2 but otherwise it's seemed like par for the course to me thus far.

Granted I've always been of the thought taking season 2 for example, that for every absolute cracker like Total Rickall and The ricks must be crazy you had ho-hum outings with a few bright spots like Get Schwifty and Big Trouble in Little Sanchez.

Breads

Banned
Dan Harmon is woke af. Its intentionally referencing that because he is also impulsive af and probably think this kind of jab is funny. And he must. He's used it on his own twitter page.

VAD

The Vindicator episode was weak as hell. So disappointing after Pickle Rick. The sci-fi plot was not exciting at all and the "character arc" plot just served to establish that Rick is a dick (shocking revelation!). Well, they can't be all winners, shame that they wasted Gillian Jacob on this.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It matters on a dramatic level.

It's a parody of The Avengers. You can utilize the already established idealization from the source material..

On the other hand, if it was that important to have in the episode, which scenes would you have cut in order to fit in the introductory exposition?

So did anyone go to the Rick Mobile that was touring around America this Spring?

What was everything they were selling at it? Sadly I had to work the day it came here ;(

Shy Fingers

Banned
So when Season 4 rolls around, are we going to collectively hate that season while praising Season 3?

Is Rick and Morty the new Zelda?!

LotusHD

Banned
This was better than all of season 3 so far. Depressing.

giphy.gif

I hope this season keeps up. So far I'm loving it much more than season 2. When the episode started with Rick as a fucking pickle, I was like "This shit is going to be an annoying 20 minutes of Rick breaking the 4th wall and telling the camera he is a pickle, isn't it?" Episode ending up being fantastic as shit.

Personally I think the season so far has been great. I didn't like episode 2 much. However I rewatched it earlier and I had a few good laughs. It does feel a little off though.

Episodes 1,3 and 4 are all incredible.

gun_haver

Huh, so people think the show has gotten worse, eh?

I've just started watching it in the past few days, really haven't noticed any change in quality. Eps range from 'fine, kind of boring' to 'kind of funny, cool sci-fi plot' for me, with no discernible trend. My favourite one is Total Rickall. I'm gonna assume that's a lot of people's favourite.

Not

Banned

I've just started watching it in the past few days, really haven't noticed any change in quality. Eps range from 'fine, kind of boring' to 'kind of funny, cool sci-fi plot' for me, with no discernible trend. My favourite one is Total Rickall. I'm gonna assume that's a lot of people's favourite.

My favorite episode is "A Rickle In Time."

That "ohhhh shit" after the screwdriver uncertainty splits the screen even more fucking KILLS me. The B-plot's sort of lame though.

I think Pickle Rick is the first episode to have an A-plot and B-plot I equally adored.

Permanently A

That's a great one, but man, Close Rick-counters of the Rick Kind is fuckin great.

HotHamBoy

I rewatched eps 2 and 3 of this season.

I stand by my assessment of 1>3>4>2

Pickle Rick's greatest scenes are actually the therapy ones.

The best episodes are the ones that are unique. The straight parodies don't hit as much imo.

My opinion as well. Parodies are the lowest-hanging fruit. I prefer satire and deconstruction.

jviggy43

I rewatched eps 2 and 3 of this season.

I stand by my assessment of 1>3>4>2

Pickle Rick's greatest scenes are actually the therapy ones.

My opinion as well. Parodies are the lowest-hanging fruit. I prefer satire and deconstruction.

I'm with you on all of this. This is also why E2 was pretty lackluster for me.

Top Bottom