• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXT Takeover: Brooklyn III |OT| The Eclipse Comes Early

oNihH8k.jpg

|OT| thread name suggested by Angry Grimace!

The biggest wrestling event of the year is finally here: SEASON TWO OF SOUTHPAW REGIONAL WRESTLING, MOTHERFUCKERS YAAAAAAS!

Join us as Lance Catamaran and Chet Chetterfield and the most carny crew poss---wait, this isn't about SPW?

*ahem*

The second biggest wrestling event of the year is finally here: NXT Takeover Brooklyn 2017 has arrived.

The flagship event of WWE's developmental/third brand (and is seen as its own Wrestlemania) is back from the Barclays Center, Brooklyn in New York the night before one of WWE's Big Four PPVs with SummerSlam. Takeover Brooklyn is night one of four in the Barclays Center. Going by past Takeovers, you won't want to miss this. And Brooklyn has the tendency of bringing the goods big time.

Watch on the WWE Network: Watch from Saturday, August 19, from 8pm EST/5pm PST/1am UK BST/2am CET (look it up elsewhere if you're outside either of those timezones). If you're not a sub already, you can get up to a three month trial on the Network - which will include NXT Takeover Brooklyn, SummerSlam and the subsequent Raw and Smackdown PPVs plus NXT Takeover Houston and Survivor Series in November - for free! All usually for the mighty low price of...

adnxa2j.gif

Except for free!*

*For three months

Here's what happened in 2016 along with a small recap of the first Takeover Brooklyn in 2015.

And here's what happened at NXT Takeover Chicago, the last Takeover event before Brooklyn, in May.

004_NXT_05202017hm_0597--ba2df216a12376afadf40688ec65228c.jpg

Roderick Strong def Eric Young (w Killian Dain, Sawyer Fulton and Alexander Wolfe)

010_NXT_05202017ej_0474--adb5d3fde827b2f9ab63caa7453b2091.jpg

Pete Dunne def Tyler Bate to become the new WWE United Kingdom Champion

020_NXT_05202017hm_3011--e176b136efef746a87ce85f089e2831e.jpg

Asuka def Nikki Cross and Ruby Riot in a triple threat match to retain the NXT Women's Championship

027_NXT_05202017ej_1392--9f5ae905acbf0263ff4c5de2c1cb8489.jpg

Bobby Roode def Hideo Itami to retain the NXT Championship

036_NXT_05202017kk_5397--e32c1a700a543424d362ff713e8cba3e.jpg

Authors of Pain (Rezar and Akam, w Paul Ellering) def #DIY (Johnny Gargano and Tomasso 'Hi, I'm Tomasso Ciampa and I'm a bald, friend betraying asshole dick because I'm a selfish bastard twat' Ciampa) in a ladder match to retain the NXT Tag Team Championship

And then, that absolute motherfucker Ciampa did this.

tumblr_oqackqNN5x1u1ljrzo3_500.gif

HE TOOK A LADDER FOR YOU, YOU SON OF A BITCH. FUCK YOU, CIAMPA, YOU PIECE OF SHIT.

Where was I?

Oh right. NXT Takeover Brooklyn.
-----

Lets see what's on offer for this year's extrvaganza.

axbffhd.png

Johnny Gargano vs Andrade 'Cien' Almas

Three months on from that devastating betrayalton by Fuckface Ciampa after the tag match in Chicago (where he also sustained an injury before the match and aggravated during - karma's a B, motherfucker - and thus miss the rest of the year most likely
plzcomebacksoonweneedthisfeudyesterday
), Johnny Gargano's first singles opportunity at a Takeover comes in the form of Andrade 'Cien' Almas. Almas challenged Johnny Wrestling to a match on NXT TV, having been in a raw spot wrestlng wise and instead focus on being a wild party character until the introduction of his manager Zelina Vega.

This match is a simple two-fold question: how will the addition of Vega have an impact on Almas? And will the events of Takeover Chicago still be on the mind of Gargano?

bcuXNWL.png

Aleister Black vs Hideo Itami

Since debuting at NXT Takeover Orlando during Wrestlemania Weekend, Aleister Black has been on a massive roll. Undefeated with a fascinating and interesting to watch style and taking on all comers, including former Ring of Honor vets Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly, it seems only likely it'll be a matter of when, not if, Black claims the NXT Championship.

Someone who could have easily been one such person is Hideo Itami. The former KENTA came to NXT in 2014 and seemed like he was earmarked for the title. Unfortunately, a string of injuries over the course of a year-and-a-half saw his standing diminish. Itami got a chance at the title against Bobby Roode in Chicago, but lost. Since that match, Itami has turned heel, been on a path of seeking respect and took out Kassius Ohno, who hasn't been seen on TV since the pair's match during an NXT taping.

Just before Black's match with O'Reilly, Itami stood in the middle of the ring and was demanding respect. What he got was a bit of a kicking from Black which has led to this match.

Do not be shocked if this ends up being MOTN. Because this looks like it could well be.

beFjGdQ.png

The Authors of Pain (Rezar and Akam, w Paul Ellering) vs SAnitY (Alexander Wolfe and Killain Dain, w Eric Young and Nikki Cross) for the NXT Tag Team Championship

AOP have been rampant since their debut at NXT Takeover: The End in June 2016. Managed by WWE Hall of Fame manager Paul Ellering, in its first full year, Akam and Rezar won the second Dusty Rhodes Invitational at NXT Takeover Toronto last November, won the NXT Tag Team Championship in San Antonio from #DIY in January, was one-third of quite possibly the WWE MOTY alongside #DIY and The Revival at Takeover Orlando where it successfully retained and managed to keep hold of the belts again after a strong ladder match in Chicago against #DIY.

However, the mission statement from SAnitY has been to takeover NXT (no pun intended) and although its taken a while to kick the plan in motion, the group took its first steps in Nikki Cross taking on Asuka a few times this year through various matches - from triple threats to fatal 4 ways and the like - including a Last Women Standing match which is the best women's match of the year so far and the best non-Takeover NXT match this year to date.

Now, Alexander Wolfe and Killian Dain of the group are going after Ellering's lot and its gold, the obvious assumption being Cross and leader Eric Young chase both singles titles. Whether AOP will survive the night or not is another guess. Either way, this will mostly be beef-on-beef (baybee -
or should I say baybay?
).

XGQbRCq.png

Bobby Roode vs Drew McIntyre for the NXT Championship

Having come into the WWE main roster in the late 2000s originally as 'The Chosen One', including one or two IC Championship runs, Drew McIntyre subsequently ended up being a jobber alongside Heath Slater and Jinder Mahal (wonder what they've achieved in the past year or so) as 3MB.

McIntyre was released from WWE, but became a superstar on the indies and in TNA, winning titles all over the world. His stock grew in his time away from the company, so when McIntyre was spotted on camera at Takeover Orlando, you knew what was coming. The boy wonder was back and he had a mission to prove: that this is a different Drew McIntyre than the one we knew at the start of the decade.

But standing in his way to become NXT Champion has been the man who's held the title since winning it from Shinsuke Nakamura in San Antonio: Bobby Roode. The two will also face off in Brooklyn with perhaps an elephant in the room in the form of Roderick Strong, who has been hunting Roode when he insulted his family since before the two faced off for the title in an NXT TV episode this summer. Roode interrupted a match between McIntyre and Strong this week on TV, where if Strong won, he'd have a pop at the title regardless of who wins in Brooklyn. Do not be surprised if Strong makes an appearance and costs Roode the title.

6IlZovr.png

Asuka vs Ember Moon for the NXT Women's Championship

You'll notice this is ahead of the NXT Championship match. And here's why: I think this is going to main event Takeover. The reason? Simple: Asuka finally drops the belt here. Whether she loses to Ember Moon or just walks off into the WWE main roster with her perfect record in tact is another question. But I think this is what's going to happen. Plus, its not like we've had Takeovers where the men's title hasn't headlined (Chicago was the first time the tag belts were the main event and, frankly, a women's main event during Takeover has been overly due since Bayley-Sasha II at Takeover Respect, which more feels like a token gesture in hindsight, but that's for another post).

But regardless of who wins or not, Asuka-Ember Moon - were it not for the Triple Threat tag match earlier in the evening - put on the match of the night at NXT Takeover Orlando and was a great match.

Since then, Asuka - who's now surpassed Goldberg's winning streak record in WCW and held the NXT Women's Championship for more than 500 days since beating Bayley for it at NXT Takeover Dallas in April 2016 - defeated Ruby Riot and Nikki Cross in a triple-threat at Takeover Chicago and defeated the latter in an outstanding Last Women Standing match on TV. As for Ember Moon, she sat on the shelf for a few months thanks to Asuka, interrupting a battle royale which led to the triple threat in Chicago in May and causing her an injury. Moon sat out of that match because of said injury, but came back earlier in the summer to get another shot.

It feels like since Asuka-Bayley II at Takeover Brooklyn last year, Moon - who debuted in NXT at the Barclays Center last year - has been the anointed one to finally win the belt from her. Whether she does it or not, we'll have to see, but in this OP's opinion, I've been super enjoying their feud (including their 'Dave Chappelle' nod) and if their match in Orlando is anything, this will be absolutely brilliant.

-----

Extra Sidenote: Who's going to be that 'OH MY GOD, IT'S THAT GUY ON CAMERA' person at this NXT Takeover?

Every Takeover - or at least, most Takeover events - there's some unsigned superstar in the audience who is then shown on screen and subsequently confirmed to be joining NXT. From Asuka at Brooklyn I to Bobby Roode in Dallas to Drew McIntyre in Orlando and more, rumours have suggested we're going to get another big sighting on Saturday.

Who is it?

(spoilered for those who don't want to know)

ColeFTR.0.png
ADAM COLE, BAYBAY!

Several sources, including the Observer, have said he's due to report at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Florida this week. A three-time Ring of Honor champion and a former Bullet Club member, Cole's signing with the WWE has been long rumoured and has even said upfront in interviews that if he joined WWE, he'd like to be in NXT. Do not be shocked if he appears on camera this weekend.

(That said, we may have our first case of a living, breathing zombie considering The Young Bucks were meant to have killed him)

-----

Pre-Show:

Hour-long pre-show across every platform you think of and on the WWE Network – Presented by Charley Caruso, with Corey Graves, Nigel McGuinness, WWE Hall of Famer Lita and Sam Roberts :)/). Starts at 7pm EST/4pm PST/12am UK BST/1am CET.

Post-Show:

Post-Takeover Q&A with Triple H presented by Cathy Kelley on Facebook Live at facebook.com/tripleh

And then, three more nights at the Barclays Center with SummerSlam on Sunday, Monday Night Raw and Smackdown Live on Tuesday.

And whilst this isn't said with this Takeover in mind, considering the past few Takeover events, this needs to be said:

Even if on paper there's nothing of interest in terms of matches and the build has been disappointing, don't ever sleep on a NXT Takeover. The pre-event stuff may be eh, but the event itself lives up to it and sometimes even surpasses it!

Prepare for the madness!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
great OT runner, you get extra coolguy points for putting up different time zones.

Predictions / Wishes!

Johnny Wrestling v Cien Almas - Predict and want Almas to win, he needs it much more than Johnny. In fact, Gargano doesnt need this win at all.

Tommy End vs Kenta - I want to say Alistair Black wins to continue his dominance since he is clearly poised to be the next big thing at NXT, but can Itami really afford another loss? I mean, he's basically done in the WWE one would assume, maybe hes just in it for the remaining contract money and doesnt give 2 fucks, I dunno.

AoP vs Sanity - I love Sanity, and they are more than due for the titles, and since there will probably be a ton of interference from Nikki and Young, they could win the titles and AoP would still look strong. But most people think they are due to move to the main roster so...yeah, AoP probably wins.

Roode v Drew - Drew win with Roddy Strong interference is the only thing that makes sense. It keeps Roode strong, gets us a new champion, and continues the Roode / Roddy feud, maybe leading to a 3 way at the next Takeover before Roode moves to the main roster?

Asuka v Ember Moon - Asuka should win, drop the title in the middle of the ring and say there is nothing else to acomplish in NXT. And there isnt. Then you can move her to the main roster, and have Ember Moon vs the winner of the May Young classic for the title at the next Takeover. But they dont have the balls to do that so Ember probably wins I guess.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There are no matches on this card that interest me, but NXT cards always way over deliver regardless of how it looks on paper.

I should really make note of it in the OT if only because I've said it a few times in other Takeover OTs.

Even if on paper there's nothing of interest in terms of matches and the build has been disappointing, don't ever sleep on a NXT Takeover. The pre-event stuff may be eh, but the event itself lives up to it and sometimes even surpasses it!

MC Safety

I am more excited about Southpaw Regional Wrestling than I am Takeover.

It would be nice if Asuka won and left NXT as the undefeated champion.

They better switch Drew's theme back to Broken Dreams Saturday. Drew teased it on twitter, they teased it multiple times during the promo package for the match, and it's infinitely better than Roddy's old theme with crappy bagpipes thrown over it. I love Drew to death but his current entrance music is a killer.

GeeTeeCee

Takeovers always end up exceeding my expectations, but I still really wish there was a UK match on the card.

Gimme Dunne vs Neville or something. Anything.

Some pretty underwhelming stuff.

Don't want either Almas or Itami to lose, but it feels like they will.

Tag match shows how gutted the division is, and I don't care about Sanity. Asuka is great, but I don't want to see Ember take it off of her.

Im happy for Drew though. Bobby has put on some good matches and his entrance is always great.

Draxal

I'm hoping Asuka doesn't drop.

Part of the problem NXT graduates have are that NXT stories are self contained.

1. Asuka goes to big leagues because nobody in NXT is good enough to stop her.

2. Ember goes in a year so to beat the one person she can never beat.

That doesn't happen if Asuka drops.

Takeovers always end up exceeding my expectations, but I still really wish there was a UK match on the card.

Gimme Dunne vs Neville or something. Anything.

Dunne needs to take time off after what happened to him, obviously he was never on this card in the firstp lace though.

I'm hoping Asuka doesn't drop.

Part of the problem NXT graduates have are that NXT stories are self contained.

1. Asuka goes to big leagues because nobody in NXT is good enough to stop her.

2. Ember goes in a year so to beat the one person she can never beat.

That doesn't happen if Asuka drops.

Dunne needs to take time off after what happened to him, obviously he was never on this card in the firstp lace though.

I've said it before, but I prefer to have Asuka drop because she got too cocky, then go on a rampage, leading her to getting "banned" from NXT. Then bring her to Smackdown where she can be catapulted into the championship scene immediately, starting a feud with Charlotte.

I posted in main wrasslegaf but I'll post here too. I have 1 ticket to nxt brooklyn tonight as I'm too sick to go. Please PM me if you're interested

daemissary

Count me in as part of Team Asuka Shouldn't Lose. It'd be so much better to just have her relinquish the title and bill her as someone with a 500+ day title run and a undefeated streak longer than Goldberg's when she hits the main roster.

I also don't think Ember is ready now but she definitely could be in a year or so and her trying to finally get one over on Asuka then would be even more epic.

Of course none of this fantasy booking matters because Vince will have Asuka lose via rollup to Natalya less than a month after she debuts on the main roster or some shit.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Count me in as part of Team Asuka Shouldn't Lose. It'd be so much better to just have her relinquish the title and bill her as someone with a 500+ day title run and a undefeated streak longer than Goldberg's when she hits the main roster.

Agreed.

Wait, what happened to Pete Dunne?

The WWE UK thing was done to compete with the ITV show, and that is now in limbo, and so is WWE UK. They will probbaly transfer the good UK latent to NXT after the next round of call ups to the main roster. I am not 100% sure, but I think that would mean a lot of the signed talent would need new contracts, as the current ones allow too much wiggle room thabn WWE likes for most NXT talent.

18-Volt

Is this the Takeover where Ricochet finally debuts (courtesy of Titus Worldwide)? I can only wish.

My predictions:

Gargano vs Almas: Almas wins, maybe with a little help from Zelina. (maybe Candice LeRae surprise appearance?)

AoP vs Sanity: Sanity wins and after the match BSS (plus Mandrews and Wolfgang) come up and destroy both tag teams.

Asuka vs Ember Moon: I want a little Four Horsewomen tease for this match but I think it's a little too early. Ember wins and probably Asuka wins the championship back at next takeover.

Itami vs Black: Black wins, either by DQ or Itami's mistake. Itami then goes berserk and beats down Black until Ohno comes for save. This is for Black/Ohno tag team buildup for Dusty Classic 2017. I expect them to reach finals against reDRagon.

Surprise match: Someone jobs to reDRagon.

McIntyre vs Roode: This is hard to predict. Does McIntyre really need the title? I mean he's already decorated WWE alum, and there is better title for him to go after: UK Championship. And after getting the NXT title, who's he supposed to defend it against? He's pushed as face and NXT roster has very few heel challengers. I'd say Roode retains and for next takeover he'd defend it in a fatal four way.

Oh no, he's not debuting anytime soon, he's still bound to his LU contract. He'll be there when his contract is up, Titus Brand is waiting for him.
No, you spoiled the MYC finals in your post

MYC = Women's Tournament

It hasn't aired yet and people are trying to avoid it

Yeah, I only know of two things from the MYC, both already out there heavily (tagged MYC spoilers:
Kairi Sane's concussion and the Four Horsewomen showdown
), but I don't want to know anything else or match results, so plz no spoilers.

PS: the bracketology is on tomorrow after SummerSlam. If you can stomach another half hour of WWE programming.

Anyway, added a link for the Asuka-Ember Moon package in the OT. It's genuinely very good!

Wait, what happened to Pete Dunne?

Got his face smashed open at a Battle Club PRO show, had to get 10+ stitches and missed the PROGRESS USA shows as a result because he couldn't get cleared to compete. He was due to defend the UK Championship against Jack Gallagher at the PROGRESS New York show, they did Gallagher vs. Zach Gibson instead.

El-Suave

I fully expect Ember Moon to win and I don't like it at all. In ring she's fine, even great sometimes, but I pretty much dislike everything about her character and mannerisms. I can't wait for the women's division being shaken up post Mae Young classic.

I fully expect Ember Moon to win and I don't like it at all. In ring she's fine, even great sometimes, but I pretty much dislike everything about her character and mannerisms. I can't wait for the women's division being shaken up post Mae Young classic.

All the more reason for Asuka to retain.

They can find a much better woman to take the title off her

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ricochet
is WWE bound?

giphy.gif

I know I know the money...

Also what the fuck does
Ricochet
have to do with the
MYC
lol?

night814

hoping to see her bust out this look, too:

6fe81d4daa651f221c88e53d04142cc6--kana-video-games.jpg
Nobody is ready for Asuka~

I hope she wins and never drops the belt, Asuka is the NXT women's title at this point and Ember while good hasn't had enough development on TV for the belt yet especially going against Asuka.

NOBODY IS READY FOR ASUKA~~

Rest of the card will be meh to great. Can't wait for the "ROH stable" and Alister destroying Itami.

Rhaknar

the "huge grain of salt" rumour about Asuka that Serene posted yesterday would be amazing...

...which means it wont happen ;_;

18-Volt

Rest of the card will be meh to great. Can't wait for the "ROH stable" and Alister destroying Itami.

Now I want a ROH stable vs UK stable match for next Takeover. Cole, reDRagon, War Machine vs BSS+ Mandrews+Wolfgang 5 on 5 tag team match...

Nekofrog

Banned
I would be lying if said I had interest in this show. But the nxt people have actually never put on anything other than very good to mind numbingly amazing takeovers, even when the cards look atrocious.

This is clearly the best possible time to bring out Nazi Asuka...

Would have rather seen Ohno/Itami on the card than Black and I'm only really interested in the women's match, but it's still going to be a good show.

Top Bottom