• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the craziest thing that has happened in your life?

TrounceX

Probably when I did a 360 triple barrel roll at like 90mph in my friends moms Mercedes.

It was about midnight and we decided we wanted McDonalds. I live in the country so we were cruising down some back roads. My friend was bragging about this Mercedes 4matic and how it has perfect traction 100% of the time etc etc. I egged him on a bit... next thing I know we hit a patch of gravel on a sharp turn and fly off the road.

I have to say, rolling around in a car is quite surreal. It's true that time slows down in situations like these. I vividly remember holding onto the bottom of the seat and waiting for us to crash into a tree. We came to rest upside down a few feet from the forest edge.

My friend had no seatbelt on, yet was somehow gripping the steering wheel hard enough that he was sitting upside down in the car. I crawled out the back seat but my friend keep saying "Where's my shoe? Where's my shoe?" I screamed at him to gtfo out of the car and he finally did. The force had ripped off his shoe and lodged it into a storage pocket under the radio.

We were too scared to call anyone so we just kept walking towards my house several miles away. Someone picked us up. Bless them because my friend was bleeding from his arm and I'm sure it got on their car.

We were both totally fine somehow except for minor cuts and bruises. The car was absolutely wrecked and I'm shocked to this day that the roof held. We flipped before going off the ditch, fell about 5 feet upside down, and landed full force on the roof. Mercedes fucking Benz, I will always love them for building their cars like tanks.

spons

Gold Member
When a girl killed herself in the mental ward. Injected animal euthanasia drugs from the vet she was an intern at. In fact, a lot of things happened there.

Someone also stole the Wii we played games on. Just gone one day. There weren't any cameras so that was the end of that. I also remember someone missing at the dinner table at night. Suddenly the door slammed open and the guy just slid in like a snake over the ground making alarm noises.

A girl running through the hallway with a door of a closet in her hands. No idea how she got that off, everything was reinforced. Someone also stole my goddamn headphones. Leave stuff unattended for five fucking minutes and it's gone.

Drugs usage everywhere, usually meth and GHB. People also traded morphine and other medicine with each other. Makes me realize how shitty mental hospitals are really. And I spent three months in one, jeez.

I also vividly remember bloody rags from all the self harm in the container meant for towels and stuff. People did that on a regular basis, also exchanging stories on how to do that properly in the smoke/relaxation rooms when there weren't any nurses around. Most horrid example I can think of was someone who used sandpaper to grind the skin of her leg.

Sometimes people went so far they got kicked out. They had to sleep on the streets or in cars of friends. Not with their parents at home obviously, they didn't know what to do. Just horrid.

One moment was when I was doing the evening dishes and someone just took about 20 Ibuprofen pills in front of me, telling me not to tell anyone. I never did. Medicine were frequently stored by people - don't swallow, just store it somewhere and take 10 Seroquel pills at once. Nurse thought she had a fever and just let it go.

JettDash

When a girl killed herself in the mental ward. Injected animal euthanasia drugs from the vet she was an intern at. In fact, a lot of things happened there.

Someone also stole the Wii we played games on. Just gone one day. There weren't any cameras so that was the end of that. I also remember someone missing at the dinner table at night. Suddenly the door slammed open and the guy just slid in like a snake over the ground making alarm noises.

A girl running through the hallway with a door of a closet in her hands. No idea how she got that off, everything was reinforced. Someone also stole my goddamn headphones. Leave stuff unattended for five fucking minutes and it's gone.

Drugs usage everywhere, usually meth and GHB. People also traded morphine and other medicine with each other. Makes me realize how shitty mental hospitals are really. And I spent three months in one, jeez.

I knew a guy that worked at a vet clinic. He stole some ketamine for us.

TU6UN08.png

Sponge

Banned
Having my house burned down by my step father just so he could kick my mother and I out.

Worst part is he completely got away with it.

Clockwork5

Probably the phone call from my Mom letting me know she had blown her and my dads savings, 1.2 million, and was going to kill herself.

Hey, you asked...

Met Jim Carey at a gas station and asked him for a selfie. He told me in no uncertain terms that using a cellphone in a gas station was dangerous and to fuck off. I liked his on screen persona until then, and now realise he is just an asshole. When I went in to pay he had complained about me to the staff but she was cool about it and said that he always makes that complaint.

I met Jim Carey at a grocery store in Los Angeles once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly. Crazy.

Randam

I met Jim Carey at a grocery store in Los Angeles once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly. Crazy.
We already had this happen to an other gafer in this thread.;)

MIMIC

Banned
Personally? Probably being in a car crash. For a split second, I thought, "Yep...I'm gonna die." It wasn't even that bad. Just the fact that you see a car coming at you at full speed is a bit....jarring, to say the least.

JettDash

Personally? Probably being in a car crash. For a split second, I thought, "Yep...I'm gonna die." It wasn't even that bad. Just the fact that you see a car coming at you at full speed is a bit....jarring, to say the least.

Yeah me totalling my car was pretty nuts (I think I said what happened earlier in this thread).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I was driving friends to San Francisco airport in the Green Destiny (Mazda Protege) and there was an unusual torrential rain right before the airport exit. Right up ahead of us a truck spun out causing a massive pileup. The Green Destiny glided through it in slow motion with bits of glass and metal bouncing off us and one car airborne above us. No idea at all how we made it but the car not only got through unscathed, the evasive maneuvers put us right on the exit ramp. My passengers were literally shaking with adrenaline when I dropped them off sixty seconds later.

I almost shat.

JettDash

I was driving friends to San Francisco airport in the Green Destiny (Mazda Protege) and there was an unusual torrential rain right before the airport exit. Right up ahead of us a truck spun out causing a massive pileup. The Green Destiny glided through it in slow motion with bits of glass and metal bouncing off us and one car airborne above us. No idea at all how we made it but the car not only got through unscathed, the evasive maneuvers put us right on the exit ramp. My passengers were literally shaking with adrenaline when I dropped them off sixty seconds later.

I almost shat.

Mazda Protege was the exact car that I totaled.

I think it was 11 years ago now. Nuts. Doesn't even seem like it was a long time ago.

Stinkles

Mazda Protege was the exact car that I totaled.

I think it was 11 years ago now. Nuts. Doesn't even seem like it was a long time ago.

I loved my protege. Just a practical fun car to throw around. Zoom Zoom is real my friends.

cromofo

Was aware of myself for a couple of minutes during surgery while they were cutting up my ribcage.

Felt everything.

Dunno for sure if they were cutting or stitching me up tho.

JettDash

Was aware of myself for a couple of minutes during surgery while they were cutting up my ribcage.

Felt everything.

That is insane. Sorry it happened to you.

I would have sued them. Did you?

Stinkles

Felt everything.

I felt them sawing through muscle during my spine surgery. No pain in the normal sense but very unpleasant pulling and tugging and ripping sensation. I didn't remember that until about 12 hours after. I still give myself the minor heebie jeebies thinking about it.

cromofo

I felt them sawing through muscle during my spine surgery. No pain in the normal sense but very unpleasant pulling and tugging and ripping sensation. I didn't remember that until about 12 hours after. I still give myself the minor heebie jeebies thinking about it.

Mine was a mix of pain and unpleasant sensations

Bolded is the same for me. It still gives me minor creeps thinking about it as you said lol

Verelios

I was 11 off at golf camp for the summer. During one of our off days I took a paddle boat (great idea) alone into the middle of the lake, and for better measure I just slapped on my life jacket without buckling it because I thought it looked lame and the person giving out paddle boats wouldn't shut up about it.

Getting to the center of the Lake wasn't as stimulating as I'd thought so I wanted to see if I could reach over to the the small island (bouy) and sit on it since 11 year old me thought that would be hilarious. So I reach over and try to get onto the island but my boat keeps flipping and flopping and I'm grasping air hating it for not staying still when the entire boat flips over. Note: I can't swim. Note 2: I did not tie my life jacket.

Holy shit.

I'm pulled under and the only thing keeping me afloat and not dead is my right elbow in the sleeve of my life jacket. My left arm slipped out while thrashing around, great. So I'm praying to God, buddha, Jesus, the camp counselor for me not to die with no one ever knowing I was here before rescue and freaking paddling around in circles trying to get my other arm back in.

Eventually I manage to get to the small island by treading water and using the life jacket as a paddle...and I'm pretty sure I came close to death a lot whenever I turned wrong and it almost flipped inside out. I signal another camper who happened to be a bunkmate and they let me on their paddle boat to shore, thank God, and the camp counselors never found out.

So, moral of the story? Wear a life jacket properly if you're given one.

Ironically, I almost drowned at an amusement park later that summer and would be dead if someone didn't save me. I was jumping up and gulping air in the deep end of the pool when they noticed.

Fuck you too water.

canocha

I was in the car with my sister (she was driving), two kids on a bike appear out of nowhere, and as she breaks, the car swerves to the other lane as a truck is coming.

During the impact (back side of the drivers side), i felt so much pressure inside the car i thought my head was going to explode!

We survived, the truck driver survived, the kids survived and didn't even stop.. the went car straight to the junkyard.

and

I was robbed at gun point during 1 hour, taken to a ATM machine and he made me withdraw the max i could (400€).

I managed to identify him and one year later the police called me and said that the person i identified had died in a car accident... i'm sorry to say this, but i burst out laughing on the phone while talking to the police guy.

ibyea

Banned
Back in 2002, when I was in Venezuela and 12 years old, and there was a coup d'etat going on (which ended up failing). Basically classes were cancelled for I don't know how many days in the middle of the school year, and saw a bunch of crazy stuff happen on TV.

Sheroking

Went for a walk late at night. I crossed through an alley and a car behind me had to sit for a minute. They were impatient and honked at me, so I intentionally stopped walking and stood still to fuck with them.

My mistake. Guy got out and stuck a gun in my face. Obviously didn't shoot me, but holy fuck.

JettDash

Went for a walk late at night. I crossed through an alley and a car behind me had to sit for a minute. They were impatient and honked at me, so I intentionally stopped walking and stood still to fuck with them.

My mistake. Guy got out and stuck a gun in my face. Obviously didn't shoot me, but holy fuck.

Nuts. Glad you didn't get shot.

Stasis

This thread was fun to read this morning.

I've posted about it before but I was briefly kidnapped from a McDonald's in NYC by a crack addict who wanted me to be her baby. And was then later returned by a different homeless crack/whatever addict to my very distressed father. It was a 3 or so hour ordeal overall, so I can't really say "kidnapped" and I don't remember much, being 2 years old. But I do remember her face and some other details.

And then we developed a kind of bond with that other homeless addict who returned me. For many years my father, and then I, would seek him out and get him breakfast, coffee, smokes, etc. along with holiday gifts at Xmas and such. His "birthday" (we never really knew it) clothing, shit he needed especially in colder months. Long running thing until he one day disappeared. Got to "know" him a bit, but not much. He ended up panhandling on the corner of our street which wasn't that far, but still a decent way further. I really don't think he followed us, it was pure happenstance. This guy refused a LOT of offers. Proud man. He wasn't keen on telling his tale. I knew him as Ray, but I don't know/believe that was his real name. I think he was hiding a lot and had a lot of pain from a past life. I believe he had kids, a family, and something (likely drugs/booze) made him lose it all. I'll never know. If I pushed too hard he'd walk away, literally. At the end, we'd sit and smoke together (cigarettes) and have breakfast that I brought. Bagels and coffee. I'd get them on my way to work but if I was early and it wasn't too shitty outside we'd just "hang" for a bit. Guy had a lot of heart, and a lot of wisdom, yes even given the situation. Loved jazz, used to discuss that with my dad. Wish I had managed to find out more but I stopped trying.

So that's my crazy story. Short insane kidnap became a decades long bond with a homeless dude. Like I've said, he saved my life maybe, and we made his better (I think...)

Wherever he is now... I'll never forget him or what he did. I hate how it ended. He just disappeared after so long. I imagine he's in a better place. Thanks "Ray"!

And you know what? In this shit climate I'm gonna say it. I'm white as snow and he is/was black. He saved my ass and was, despite his life, a damn fine man who refused a LOT of help and never hurt a soul that I saw. Whatever his past may have been, that man will always hold a place in my heart. So yeah, I wanted to state our color and race because, fuck, we need some of these stories to go against the others. Previously I've never thought to mention it. Not here, not elsewhere. But now I do.

Stinkles

I've posted about it before but I was briefly kidnapped from a McDonald's in NYC by a crack addict who wanted me to be her baby. And was then later returned by a different homeless crack/whatever addict to my very distressed father. It was a 3 or so hour ordeal overall, so I can't really say "kidnapped" and I don't remember much, being 2 years old. But I do remember her face and some other details.

And then we developed a kind of bond with that other homeless addict who returned me. For many years my father, and then I, would seek him out and get him breakfast, coffee, smokes, etc. along with holiday gifts at Xmas and such. His "birthday" (we never really knew it) clothing, shit he needed especially in colder months. Long running thing until he one day disappeared. Got to "know" him a bit, but not much. He ended up panhandling on the corner of our street which wasn't that far, but still a decent way further. I really don't think he followed us, it was pure happenstance. This guy refused a LOT of offers. Proud man. He wasn't keen on telling his tale. I knew him as Ray, but I don't know/believe that was his real name. I think he was hiding a lot and had a lot of pain from a past life. I believe he had kids, a family, and something (likely drugs/booze) made him lose it all. I'll never know. If I pushed too hard he'd walk away, literally. At the end, we'd sit and smoke together (cigarettes) and have breakfast that I brought. Bagels and coffee. I'd get them on my way to work but if I was early and it wasn't too shitty outside we'd just "hang" for a bit. Guy had a lot of heart, and a lot of wisdom, yes even given the situation. Loved jazz, used to discuss that with my dad. Wish I had managed to find out more but I stopped trying.

So that's my crazy story. Short insane kidnap became a decades long bond with a homeless dude. Like I've said, he saved my life maybe, and we made his better.

Wherever he is now... I'll never forget him or what he did. I hate how it ended. He just disappeared after so long. I imagine he's in a better place. Thanks "Ray"!

Now that's a Happy Meal.

So that's my crazy story. Short insane kidnap became a decades long bond with a homeless dude. Like I've said, he saved my life maybe, and we made his better (I think...)

Amazing read.

Getting held at gunpoint by a drunk tenant probably tops it. Along with getting molested by a distant uncle when I was 11. My mom seems to have forgotten that episode until I reminded her of it after having seen Spotlight (that film about Boston church molestation scandal). We bawled our eyes out. It doesn't faze me anymore, I can talk about it quite nonchalantly.

Thankfully, nothing as bad since then. Well, I did get punched in the face by a patient on a mental ward a few months ago (not the first time getting punched!), but that's to be expected and I'm trained to deal with it.

Stasis

And a shootout at a party in Seattle suburbs a day after I arrived to meet people I knew from online gaming, back in the day (EQ!). That ended in us leaving all somewhat drunk, with the least drunk person driving a modified Nissan 300ZX with way too much power, in the rain. We crashed, I blacked out (concussion) and apparently called my ex during this period among other people. The cop somehow never called EMT, which he should have, as I now know, and I went back to where I was staying and projectile vomited a few hours later. As the concussed tend to do.

I have stories for days. I have NOT lived a sheltered life, despite an affluent upbringing. I regret none of it. I'm happy for the times I survived dumb stuff, and I'm happy for the connections I've made with the less fortunate, including (but not limited to!) Ray.

Some shit is thrown at you. How you deal with it is your call. Other things just happen regardless, and you adapt. All of it made me stronger. And I have a ton of great stories! Nothing against those who say they haven't lived, or have lived sheltered lives. But I really do believe that having lived the shit I have made me way more resilient and open-minded, adaptable, street-wise etc. I just feel it's contributed largely to who I am and how I see and process things. So I cherish all these memories, in some way.

devonodev

Once I went to visit my sister when she lived in Townsville. We went one weekend up north to visit Hinchinbrook island. We were on this charter boat going to the island when heavy fog came down and the captain got stuck on a mudbank out in the water. We waited for ages for another boat to come and rescue us and when it arrived we had to jump out of our boat and wade to the other one because of the mud bank. We didn't really think about it the time but shallow waters off the coast of North Queensland have crocodiles. Years later I read in the newspaper about a croc being caught just south of where we were stuck.

We decided to keep going to the island to see it but we got bitten by sand flies, also back on the mainland our tent leaked. We did however get our money back.
Classic Australia.

Discovering my dad's bright past as a national cyclist champion in the 50s and 60s after his death was a pretty crazy experience. I had some clues (and a storage room full of cups) but I never got to see him racing - he had long resigned when I was born - and he was so low key that he never bragged about it. I only got to see him as a coach, but even then he never involved his children much and we missed out on his work. So when he told us stories of the past, we would kind of look down on him instead of pay attention.

Then at the funeral I see all those people that I've never met with, coming to me and saying he was the greatest athlete they ever met, or that he was a father figure (some of his athletes from when he was a coach) and one of the most important people in their lives.

A few days later, I get a call - his team is inviting us to the 1st cycling race named after him. An annual race named after my father! They ask me to be the person that will award the participants who will win the race. Eerily, it's the same date as the one-month memorial of his death, and this race was booked 6 months in advance.

On the day of the event, we leave the church mourning, only to go to the race where the atmosphere was so celebratory and full of life, it felt like the actual proper memorial service for him - instead of tears, a cycling race. Even the place of the race was leaning towards the metaphysical, being held in a location called Mount Father, in a spot named The Candle.

We are nearing the 2nd race now and I'm still discovering things about him, such a bittersweet experience.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
One night I was bored at work on a night shift so went into a chatroom to kill some time.
I had previously broken up with my ex and was going through a rough time. I was in a bad place with panic attacks anxiety and depression stemming I think from not being able to see my son.

I wasn't in any physical (I weighed close to 118kg )or mental state to have another relationship so I wasn't really hopeful I had all hit given up.
Suddenly while browsing who was online a username caught my attention simply because the name was funny.

I struck up a conversation. Then after a while it got deep we talked about our situations and found we were in similar situations with regards to being nearly single.

It was odd I told her things I never told anyone and she did the same.
Overtime we became online friends and nothing more for years we would chat, chat on the phone (I loved her French accent and she didn't mind my london one either) into the early hours. We lived a few hours by train away. I lived in london and she lived in coventry
We talked about what we were doing etc nothing more than friends. We spoke about people we liked at work etc

I don't remember how long it was for but we always remained friends, but I felt like I had known her my whole life and she said the same thing.

Then in 2012 we decided to meet up. I panicked, as I was living at my mums so told her no come another time but then I kicked myself and said ok come over but honestly it isn't the best kept house and was generally negative about myself.

Despite all that We hit it off and started seeing each other casually
It developed from there.

We Married in 2014

Its 2017 as I write this I am at the house we will buy in France . Listening to her talk to our daughter while my son is over with our eldest daughter.(my step daughter)

TLDR Random chat room encounter became and online friend , became my girlfriend , then my wife, we have a daughter together and moved to another country.

That to me is crazy how I think if I didn't decide to slack off work for a bit none of this would have happened.

I also lost a lost of weight and had counselling for my anxieties , I can still get it but I am pushing myself

Top Bottom