• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RNC raises millions more than DNC in July

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The Hill

The Republican National Committee (RNC) expanded its massive fundraising lead over the Democratic National Committee (DNC) in July as the Democrats posted their worst July haul in a decade.

The DNC raised just $3.8 million in July, compared to the $10.2 million raised by the RNC in the same month. While the GOP has no debt, the DNC added slightly to its debt in July, which now sits at $3.4 million.

The vast fundraising gap gels with recent trends — the GOP has substantially out-fundraised its rivals since the start of 2017.

The RNC raised $86.5 million through the first seven months of the year, while the DNC raised about $42 million. The GOP also has a huge advantage in cash on hand — $47.1 million to $6.9 million.

The lag in Democratic Party fundraising through the first four months of new party chairman Tom Perez's tenure has frustrated Democrats, especially as liberals see a groundswell of enthusiasm in opposition to President Trump.

But top Democratic donors and fundraisers who spoke to The Hill this week said that they believe it's still too early to sound the alarm and that Perez can still turn the ship around as he continues to restructure the party after a tough 2016 election.

Looking at reports of the past months, this seems to be an ongoing thing.

Savitar

Racist and alt rights will put their dollar where their mouth is if they can't make a lot of fuss out in public since they support Trump and what happens there.

Sadly there is no real solid face to the Democrats to rally around as they had with Obama and they don't seem to be in a hurry to really fix that issue either which is a shame. I'm so happy to see Boston had a lot of good support today but ye god I get the feeling the overall Democrat political side has learned nothing and likely will get it's ass handed to it while still failing to see what the issue is.

I've said this before but don't expect a normal midterm.

People vote the most when they are angry and Trump's base is still angry. Even though he won, and even though it is 100% deserved, he's under more attack by the media and everyone than probably anyone else ever this far in. I think Republicans will turn out in high numbers in 2018.

Democrats need to figure out how to adjust. They can't just sit around on a "At least we aren't the other guys", .. That won't sway anyone...the anti-left vote will be out in high numbers. It's up to the party to figure out how to win, how to draw out voters.

We've seen the women's march, the counter protests.. the interest is there. The democratic base is energized. CAPITALIZE ON IT.

kirblar

Isn't the RNC and its sister organizations structured much differently than the Dems, which always makes this a bad 1:1 comparison?

Racist and alt rights will put their dollar where their mouth is if they can't make a lot of fuss out in public since they support Trump and what happens there.

Sadly there is no real solid face to the Democrats to rally around as they had with Obama and they don't seem to be in a hurry to really fix that issue either which is a shame. I'm so happy to see Boston had a lot of good support today but ye god I get the feeling the overall Democrat political side has learned nothing and likely will get it's ass handed to it while still failing to see what the issue is.

This isn't gonna be a popular opinion, but one benefit of there not being a face to the party just yet is that Republicans get can't working on their demonization machine years in advance. Something definitely needs to solidify in 2018 though.

120v

you raise shitloads of money you're "too busy with fundraising" and not getting in touch with the middle class. now we're not too busy fundraising

kirblar

Not sure. Explain?
My understanding was that the RNC did much more for the GOP as a whole than the DNC does for the Dems, w/ the Dems generally being far more decentralized. (Meaning things like DCCC numbers were way more important to pay attention to.)

Hillary raised more money than Donald and it didn't do her any good.

Money has diminishing returns when you convince your voters your opponent is propped up by donors and you are not. Ossoff got more money than the entirety of the UK election but it didn't help because the dark money donations made people feel like he was a plant and not genuine.

Democrats will do better with less money if they actually run candidates who make it clear they are gonig to represent voters and not the people who give them the most money.

kirblar

Money has diminishing returns when you convince your voters your opponent is propped up by donors and you are not. Ossoff got more money than the entirety of the UK election but it didn't help because the dark money donations made people feel like he was a plant and not genuine.

Democrats will do better with less money if they actually run candidates who make it clear they are gonig to represent voters and not the people who give them the most money.
Ossoff was in a R+(A Lot) district and lost the moment he couldn't get 50% in the jungle primary to clinch it.

Had nothing to do w/ "donors" (it's an upperclass suburb, money isn't the problem) and everything to do w/ not being able to flip enough I/R votes.

Didn't we do this song and dance last month? Republican leadership is way more heavily centralized, the RNC does a lot of the jobs performed by the DCCC and the DSCC on the Democratic side of things. DNC is mostly about the Presidential election. Last I'd heard, Democratic 2018 candidates were smashing their Republican opponents in early fundraising totals.

Blader

I think sounding the alarm bells over this and using as it another excuse for a "Dems are in disarray, WHERE ARE OUR LEADERS" tangent is pretty pointless, except for those already predisposed to those narratives. But I will say that the party needs to completely rethink its email fundraising strategy. Those emails are the worst fucking things I ever have to read, and I don't know how they're squeezing any dollars out of those.

People vote the most when they are angry and Trump's base is still angry. Even though he won, and even though it is 100% deserved, he's under more attack by the media and everyone than probably anyone else ever this far in. I think Republicans will turn out in high numbers in 2018.

Well Republicans always turn out in high numbers in 2018. But there's a significant enthusiasm gap opening up; there are far more people who strongly disapprove of Trump than those who strongly approve. Which would point to greater Dem turnout and dampened GOP turnout.

Democrats need to figure out how to adjust. They can't just sit around on a "At least we aren't the other guys", .. That won't sway anyone...the anti-left vote will be out in high numbers. It's up to the party to figure out how to win, how to draw out voters.

We've seen the women's march, the counter protests.. the interest is there. The democratic base is energized. CAPITALIZE ON IT.

The marches and the counter protests are all about opposition to the other side though, so being anti-Trump IS capitalizing on those movements.

I agree there needs to be more policy meat on the bones (which is really up to the candidates anyway; the party has its "Better Deal" messaging but it's up to campaigns to actually make use of it or not), but it really frustrates me when people act as if Democrats are just blithely unaware that there's an angry, energetic grassroots. They're aware! That's the well they draw from every time they hold Trump and the GOP's feet to the fire! But these marches and rallies are about protecting immigrants and healthcare, they're policy debates about free college tuition and $15 minimum wage.

#demsdisarray #povoDNC

Too much time fundraising, not enough time fundraising, get money out of politics, because money in politics no longer matters because Trump.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Didn't we do this song and dance last month? Republican leadership is way more heavily centralized, the RNC does a lot of the jobs performed by the DCCC and the DSCC on the Democratic side of things. DNC is mostly about the Presidential election. Last I'd heard, Democratic 2018 candidates were smashing their Republican opponents in early fundraising totals.

Does it just end up mostly evening out then?

Does it just end up mostly evening out then?

I don't have the figures on hand, and I doubt it evens out entirely (Republicans are the big money party, after all, and small donations usually end up clustered in individual races rather than in the central parties) but yeah, a proper apples to apples comparison is gonna be way closer.

Blader

Doesn't the RNC have its own separate House and Senate divisions like the DCCC/DSCC, though?

I think so too. The blue wave may not the tsunami many expect due to how this perception of unfairness is still permeating the Republican base / Trumps minions.

Ossoff was in a R+(A Lot) district and lost the moment he couldn't get 50% in the jungle primary to clinch it.

Had nothing to do w/ "donors" (it's an upperclass suburb, money isn't the problem) and everything to do w/ not being able to flip enough I/R votes.

They gave him an insane amount of funding because early polls made it look like a possible 1 point difference.

After they dumped tons of money and made it a national campaign he got killed and lost by more than 5 points. Quist did almost as well in an even larger +R district after getting basically no funding/attention.

I think not being able to flip independents had a lot to do with the way his campaign was run. He was succesfully painted as a DNC puppet. If he came out and said he would refuse PAC money and hammered the GOP candidate for not doing so I think he would have flipped A LOT more independents. I's tend to gravitate towards politicians like that.

I feel that most people think the democrats don't understand their concerns. As long as the majority of party officials are afraid to say single-payer and their survey asking which issues voters find important doesn't even include the phrase "black lives matter" on any question (I know because I filled one out myself) then I don't think people are going to relate too heavily to the party.

Everything about their leadership suggests that they're trying to figure out what people want to hear and then say some close approximation of that. The only problem is that democratic voters are too keenly aware of it, and thus their rhetoric comes across as an artificial replica of the kind of sentiment you hear on the ground at protests when it should be the other way around. If democrats had faith in their leadership, they'd be promoting the message the party is sending out rather than sharing Tumblr rants. Democratic leadership is too afraid to criticize our justice system, our drug laws, systematic racism, and our healthcare in uncompromising, bold terms.

There are senators/governors/etc who will be really strong on one of those issues, but there are way too few in the party who are saying the right things across the board. The state senator from MN Ilhan Omar strikes me as someone who should be escalated up the ranks of the party immediately, but I'd imagine the leadership is terrified of banking on a Somali-American Muslim woman. Too concerned with addressing white folks' "economic anxiety".

Well Republicans always turn out in high numbers in 2018. But there's a significant enthusiasm gap opening up; there are far more people who strongly disapprove of Trump than those who strongly approve. Which would point to greater Dem turnout and dampened GOP turnout.

Republicans don't always turn out to midterms. They've just turned out to the last two. Because a democrat was in office.

Historically the party in power almost always losses massively during a midterm, with in the last half century or so 2002, and 98 being he exceptions.

I think 2018 will be another unusual circumstance because the cult of personality around Trump and how heavily he is attacked with energize the Republican base sort of like how the base of Dems was turned out in 98 because they thought the GOP was overplaying their hand on impeachment.

Shauni

The anger on the Democratic side just doesn't count? Because this is the angriest the left has been in a long, long time

royalan

That's why when people who work with the DNC insist that "WE ARE BROKE!" in comparison to the RNC we're not joking.

The GOP consistently out-raises Democrats. Sometimes embarrassingly so. The party that tends to argue for more power for money, guess what, tends to be backed by money.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The anger on the Democratic side just doesn't count? Because this is the angriest the left has been in a long, long time

And, in this case, it seems as though it is being quantified via fundraising stats. Feels like the wrong way to gauge things. It is a concern though, when it comes to backing political entities and getting the message out.

Splendor

The RNC and DNC are national organizations, they handle presidential elections more than state races. Groups like the DCCC and DSCC are more insightful for midterms, as they raise funds for State and House races.

Also it makes sense for republicans to be able to fundraise better for 2020, they have a President who is probably gonna run again while the Dems are still looking to an uncertain 2020 field. This stuff isnt outside of the norm, people donate when they know what they are getting.

Edit: I also left out the Democratic Governor's Association, who helps handles governors races.

Top Bottom