• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Free Nintendo | A Nintendo Podcast for Grownups

Ondore

In which our little crew gets slightly less European...
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/30126
Episode 291: Good Night said:
Well, it's time for that episode. Despite the sad theme of Greg leaving RFN, we celebrate him and all the great times with games, memories, funny clips, and only a few tears. But first... New Business! James starts it with his decidedly mixed impressions of Resident Evil: Revelations for 3DS. Greg's next with Game & Watch Gallery 2, a belated date with Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, and some comments on Treasure's Advance Guardian Heroes (though the impressions are actually from Lindy, who wrote the original review for NWR). Jonny reaches the absurd final track in MotoHeroz, completes a digital transition with Darksiders, and continues his journey through Xenoblade Chronicles. Jon closes it out with his own little tribute -- Radiant Silvergun on XBLA. Too bad Greg can't play it himself... or can he?

After the break, we begin the long goodbye with a pair of Listener Mails, hand-selected by Mr. Leahy as questions he really wanted to answer before he left. The first one's about our hopes for the Wii U launch lineup of games; the other one asks us to look at Nintendo's efforts to reclaim core gamers and how Metroid might fight into that strategy. As always, you can send in your own questions for the new RFN crew-to-be. And special thanks to the hundreds of you who've sent kind words for Greg over the NWR forums, email, Twitter, Facebook, NeoGAF, etc. Your words are truly inspiring.

After much stalling, we have to begin the damnable process of saying farewell to our charming Brit editor, and he to the rest of us. There are gut-wrenching moments, but we managed to pierce through the melodrama with humor whenever possible. A brilliant best-of clip edited by Guillaume certainly helps, and Greg also describes in some detail how he selected and trained his successor. But the focus here is on Greg himself, as we each take turns wrestling with our emotions and thanking each other for the amazing ride that has been the last four-and-a-half years. And then it's over.

We'll be back next week, with Guillaume and without Greg. No one knows just what the show will become, but it will be something different, and we hope you'll come along for the ride as we move on from this magical formula and try to alchemize a new one.

Time: 2'40"57
Downloads: mp3 | AAC

linko9

I only recently started listening to this podcast (because of this thread). It was nice to get Nintendo discussion from people who (for the most part) actually knew what they were talking about. Greg was by far the most knowledgeable, most enjoyable to listen to, and most British person on the show. Not to be a dick, but I honestly didn't much enjoy listening to the other dudes on the show. With the show's current lineup, I'm just not interested in listening anymore. Anyway, I enjoyed it for the short time that I listened, hope these guys keep truckin', and best of luck to Greg.

Suzzopher

If I don't listen to this episode, Greg doesn't leave for me :(

I only recently started listening to this podcast (because of this thread). It was nice to get Nintendo discussion from people who (for the most part) actually knew what they were talking about. Greg was by far the most knowledgeable, most enjoyable to listen to, and most British person on the show. Not to be a dick, but I honestly didn't much enjoy listening to the other dudes on the show. With the show's current lineup, I'm just not interested in listening anymore. Anyway, I enjoyed it for the short time that I listened, hope these guys keep truckin', and best of luck to Greg.

I still enjoy the episodes that Greg isn't on, but knowing he would be back the following week made it easier. The thing I will miss most about Greg is that you could tell he genuinely loved Nintendo. You don't get that with James, John and Johnny.

Some Brits should start a new Nintendo podcast and poach Greg >_>

Chunky

That track they play to finish the podcast seemed strangely sad this time :(
greg was my favourite guy on this cast, sad to see him go

Man, it really is sad that Greg is leaving. I just finished up the episode this morning and it legitimately left me feeling pretty down. I've been a regular listener to RFN for the past couple of years and while I always value the opinions of every member I always saw Greg as my favorite. The primary reason for this was because he and I share a lot of common interests when it comes to taste in games but I was also always so impressed with how eloquently and intelligently his opinions were presented; to the point where I don't think anyone on any other podcast rivals him.

I don't know what Greg's plans are in the future but I hope he'll do something in the gaming industry, he really has a lot of talent for this kind of thing.

Also, as a Miami Dolphins fan I always shared in his NFL related pain. :(

Zornica

Banned
Guillaume's in Canada, on EST like most of the RFN crew.

hmpf... thats exactly what I was afraid of...
without greg on the show, there is barely a reason left for me to listen to new business, as only american releases will be discussed... it's an all american show now, some rare imports from james aside. I guess it's not that greg is leaving what sucks for me the most, it's that the only european is leaving, a guy who plays and discusses the games that I can play NOW, and not games that I have played over half a year ago like the rainfall ones, or haven't played yet like rythm heaven.
Ofc I will miss greg too, not only for the these particular reasons, but also for his general taste in gaming and his japanese import games. (I know, james does that too, but 2 import guys are better than one.)
I wish Guillaume was living in france :/

Henke

hmpf... thats exactly what I was afraid of...
without greg on the show, there is barely a reason left for me to listen to new business, as only american releases will be discussed... it's an all american show now, some rare imports from james aside. I guess it's not that greg is leaving what sucks for me the most, it's that the only european is leaving, a guy who plays and discusses the games that I can play NOW, and not games that I have played over half a year ago like the rainfall ones, or haven't played yet like rythm heaven.
Ofc I will miss greg too, not only for the these particular reasons, but also for his general taste in gaming and his japanese import games. (I know, james does that too, but 2 import guys are better than one.)
I wish Guillaume was living in france :/

As a fellow Brit I can get behind this point of view entirely. I haven't found a Euro/British gaming podcast that I like so Greg has pretty much been the only voice in my podcast rotation that provides any real non-American insight.

Effect

It certainly is going to be interesting with Greg now gone. I wish him success in what he does next. He was one of my favorites on the podcast. I started listening with this group so to see it break up after all these episodes and the last few years is a bit tough to take.

I am looking forward to the next episode to see how things turn out though and I hope things continue to be good.

Suzzopher

As a fellow Brit I can get behind this point of view entirely. I haven't found a Euro/British gaming podcast that I like so Greg has pretty much been the only voice in my podcast rotation that provides any real non-American insight.

I am going to make it my mission to create a Euro Nintendo podcast.

PKrockin

Only my second time listening but I can see why you guys are so attached to Greg. He's pretty funny and insightful (gotta love the accent too). Best of luck to him and the next editor.

You can still kinda-sorta keep up with him by subscribing to his twitter feeds, right?

Ondore

Episode 292: Mind the nails and loose boards, there's some renovation going on.
Episode 292: The Show Must Go On said:
Ladies and gentlemen, we present the newest member of the Radio Free Nintendo family: Guillaume Veillette. On his first episode as a regular member and our new official editor, we spend some time getting to know this mysterious fellow with his own alluring accent. But first, New Business! Sadly, James had to miss this week, so you'll have to wait a little longer for the entire crew to form Captain Planet (GameCube). Therefore, Jonny kicks it off with a renewed dalliance with Mario Kart 7, now that the online mode has been patched to be far more bearable. (If you haven't already joined the NWR "Communities", be sure to do that now!) He also adores The Walking Dead's first episodic entry from Telltale Games, who continue to push the point/click adventure way beyond a simple revival. Lindy focuses on a single game, but it's a big deal: Diablo 3. We compare it to the imminent Heroes of Ruin for 3DS and also ponder if this mega-hit from Blizzard would make sense on Wii U. Guillaume closes the segment with a laundry list of games, starting with an old favorite: Link's Awakening DX. He also test out a pair of WiiWare titles recently offered up on Club Nintendo: Intelligent Systems' Eco Shooter: Plant 530 and Skip Ltd.'s Snowpack Park. Which boutique studio will come out on top in this duel of the free games?

After an especially awkward Now Playing (as it should be), we return to Guillaume himself and ask a series of interview-style questions to catch up with our newest cohort. How did gaming help him learn English? What are his favorite games and genres? How did he end up doing podcasts? What are his other interests? And what's his preferred style of poutine? We hope his answers will help get you up to speed so we can focus on building up the new chemistry. And on that note, we also address some of your Listener Mail! This week's letters cover Nintendo's exclusive deals with GameStop, the future of consoles as subscription-based devices, and the ongoing efforts of Operation Rainfall. We're still digging through a big pile of wonderful emails, but don't let that keep you from adding your own to the stack!

Time: 1'41"52

Hello, I am a huge fan of RFN even tho I only recently discovered it. It was thanks to RFN that I got into Podcasts at all. So thanks RFN!

I am a episode and a half behind (Bye Greg! I will miss you!) but I have started watching older episodes, and watched from 3DS Release date to present on iTunes.

I started watching even older videos, have episode 42-57 waiting on my iPod when I'm out and about and wanting to get episode 100 and up on my iPad for when I am at home, and listen to the episodes while I play rpgs or online. But apparantly iTunes gives me errors when downloading almost all videos between episode 100-135 (Haven't tried anything higher than 135) it downloads the newer episodes just fine. So I was thinking this had to be a problem on RFN's end. Tho it still may somehow be on my end. I just wanting to bring it up and if its on yalls end then maybe let you know so you can hopefully fix it. Since I wanna watch those episodes!

If its not my end, or the problem is already reported then sorry for posting. Just wanna watch all of the episodes of this awesome show! Thanks for the great episodes!

Emitan

Oh wow. I missed a few episodes and then everyone was saying goodbye to Greg :(

I've only been listening for a little over a year but I'm really, really upset right now. I love you, Greg and you were my favorite, not just because you're leaving!

Good luck to you, Guillaume!

Just caught up on the past three episodes (I've been traveling around Canada) and ... Greg :'(

I knew this day would come, but I didn't think it'd be this emotional. I'm just sorry I didn't get a chance to write in and wish Greg well. I almost teared up here at work during the tribute segment.

Goodnight sweet prince indeed, and good luck to Guillaume.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Been too busy to listen to the past 5 podcasts but I saw the RSS feeds and it's a little sad to see Greg depart. I loved it when he recently talked about the Goemon games on the N64 because I have fond memories of playing them back in the day.

I'll miss the ahoy hoy's.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments over the past few weeks. We saw them all and I know Greg particularly took them to heart. Now we've got the fun challenge of remaking the show to be just as good, but in a different way. If you're a new listener, be sure to refresh often during E3 because we'll probably do some kind of episode every day.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments over the past few weeks. We saw them all and I know Greg particularly took them to heart. Now we've got the fun challenge of remaking the show to be just as good, but in a different way. If you're a new listener, be sure to refresh often during E3 because we'll probably do some kind of episode every day.

Good to hear from you in here Johnny, I'm looking forward to this new "season" of the podcast.

Also I just bought an RFN shirt. I'll post pictures here when I get it.

Emitan

I'm really regretting not listening to this podcast sooner. Been a NWR reader since the Planet Gamecube days but never actually participated in radio trivia or the forums ever. And I only started listening to the podcast a year ago (maybe a little more). Ugh, now I think I might just listen to the whole thing. I've loved every minute of it

except for Jonny's opinions on Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. YOU'RE PLAYING IT WRONG!!!! :p

Ondore

293: In which the whole team is back together, with Disastrous consequences. For the hosts, that is.
Episode 293: Four On The Floor said:
With James back this week, the gang is finally complete, and Mr. Jones wastes no time before launching into a full-on rant for Disaster: Day of Crisis (from the makers of Xenoblade Chronicles). Guillaume checks out Kirby's Block Ball on 3DS Virtual Console, an oddly challenging spin-off for the pink puff. Kirby, that is. GUI also checks out the obscure variant All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. and provides a book recommendation. Jon finally digs into Mario Kart 7, which he had largely ignored in favor of 3D Land since picking up his system early this year. And Jonny caps off a brisk New Business with Cloudberry Kingdom, a zany 2D platformer coming not only to Steam (where Kickstarter supporters can already play the beta) but also Wii U! Hey, what other podcast gives you impressions of a Wii U digital download title (and a hugely promising one, at that) more than a week before E3?

As this will be our last big show before E3 (with several to come during the show itself), we scrambled together the annual preview feature with a little help from an old friend. Foci include Western support/enthusiasm for 3DS, online strategies, and reintroducing the world to Wii U. It's probably the biggest E3 since Radio Free Nintendo began, and we are thoroughly excited and scared by all the possibilities.

Hey, did you know we just added new designs and styles to the NWR t-shirt store? Check out the latest options and get one for yourself! Also let us know what you want to hear about during E3 or any other questions/comments.

Time: 1'52"03

Does anyone know if there's going to be an e3 podcasts thread? And if we'd be better off updating this thread or the major thread with the RFN recordings?

Suzzopher

I like Guillaume, but feel that I am enjoying the show less with no one I can relate to on it. Greg not only had very similar tastes and possibly matches my own Nintendo knowledge, but he was also from the same country, which meant he was far easier to relate to.

This week's episode was good, but they really need to add someone from Europe to the mix.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I like Guillaume, but feel that I am enjoying the show less with no one I can relate to on it. Greg not only had very similar tastes and possibly matches my own Nintendo knowledge, but he was also from the same country, which meant he was far easier to relate to.

This week's episode was good, but they really need to add someone from Europe to the mix.

I'm from Canada and I miss him. Such intelligent and rational analysis.

Guillaume's alright. You guys are just suffering from Greg Leahy withdrawal.

I liked the E3 discussion, but I have to wonder why this is the last proper episode prior to E3. Doesn't E3 start like a week from tomorrow?

suaveric

I liked the E3 discussion, but I have to wonder why this is the last proper episode prior to E3. Doesn't E3 start like a week from tomorrow?

I'm guessing they wanted a little time off and/or some extra time to prepare things for E3. Another possibility is that the show is typically posted on Sunday and by this weekend, they could be in LA and taping and posting new shows by Sunday night.

Suzzopher

There is nothing wrong with Guillaume, just that the show now has very little for me to relate to. It's weird how one person leaving has made such an impact.

plufim

Maybe Greg could record 2 minute skits at daytime on his bit of the planet, to be spliced into the show.

You know, like that Perfect Dark thing :D

Top Bottom