• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater |OT| "The world was split into two - HD and 3D."

CorvoSol

I think I hit it with the M63, ultimately. This motorcycle segment has been a nightmare for me. The 1st, 3rd, and Bridge sections have been hell. Worse yet is that I still have two more after the Volgin fight.

I swear the RPG was the way to go with the PS2 version, but I just could not line the shot up at all.

If I don't get the Yoshi rank in the end, I will likely cry.

I think I hit it with the M63, ultimately. This motorcycle segment has been a nightmare for me. The 1st, 3rd, and Bridge sections have been hell. Worse yet is that I still have two more after the Volgin fight.

I swear the RPG was the way to go with the PS2 version, but I just could not line the shot up at all.

If I don't get the Yoshi rank in the end, I will likely cry.
The two after the Volgin fight are super easy. They appear close to the bike, and you can hit them on your first try with an RPG. The tower and the runway were the hardest spots.

CorvoSol

The two after the Volgin fight are super easy. They appear close to the bike, and you can hit them on your first try with an RPG. The tower and the runway were the hardest spots.

I got them, now I need to find the very last motorcycle Yoshi. Sadly, I killed a guy as I shot one Yoshi, so there goes my no kill run. Better luck next time, I suppose. Gotta find this last motoyoshi. Is he where he was in the PS2 version? Some of them seem moved. Nevermind, I found him. Now I just gotta nail this sucker. GOT HIM. Almost there!

nordique

this game looks awesome on the 3DS

I'm really digging the added shaders, and especially the 3D effect. This is easily the best demonstration of 3D i've seen yet on the system.

schlew

I did a quick look, but didn't see anyone make mention of it. But I think that when I chose liking MGS4 the most, I got the Raiden mask, except he looks older. Like some sort of pre-Cyborginization Raiden. Pretty cute detail. Is there a rundown of what each choice nets you?

Xristot

Just wanted to chime in that I'm really enjoying this game. Playing it in 3d is a joy and having MGS3 on the go is awesome. So far I love it!

Xellos

Just passed The Fury and so far I'm really enjoying this port. The 3D is fantastic and definitely adds a lot to the game's presentation, especially the cutscenes. My only significant gripe is with the slowdown that crops up during action-heavy scenes. Looking forward to the rest of the game.

CorvoSol

YEEEEEEEAAAAAH. Yoshi, Tsuchinoko, and Jaguar were my ranks on this playthrough. I'll probably run through again just to get Markhor, too. YEEEEEEEEAH I NAILED YOU IN THE FACE 64 TIMES YOU DIRTY LITTLE GREEN FREAK OF NATURE!!!!!!

jacket320

lol. am I really about to quadruple-dip on Snake Eater?

yes, yes I am.

I'd like to play it too but Im not going to pick up the 3DS just to play this one game (limited time, etc). Looking forward to reading everyone's impressions in the thread; I loved the HD version on the ps3 recently. Excellent OP :)

I'd like to play it too but Im not going to pick up the 3DS just to play this one game (limited time, etc). Looking forward to reading everyone's impressions in the thread; I loved the HD version on the ps3 recently. Excellent OP :)

man, my 3DS has gotten 0 use in almost 10 months. time to finally dust that sommbitch off. I wonder if it even turns on.

But yea, I've bought:

Snake Eater
Snake Eater (Substance)
HD collection
and now 3D.

what can I say? I love the game.

I find it funny how I just zoomed through the game and caught up to where I was in the HD Collection-which was about up to before you fought The Fear. Everything on the 3DS version just works a lot better than the HD one. The HD one has 60 fps, yeah that's true, but the 3DS has the minimap, accessible anytime menus and not to mention the 3D looks really great.

Also the contrast ratio is better on the 3DS screen. It took me about 3x as short to get through that dark cave than on the 3DS version because the screen was so dark(even when I turned my TV up in brightness and contrast) on the HD version.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Also the contrast ratio is better on the 3DS screen. It took me about 3x as short to get through that dark cave than on the 3DS version because the screen was so dark(even when I turned my TV up in brightness and contrast) on the HD version.
The 3DS has a pretty low quality LCD, so your TV must be REALLY shit. :p I'm sure they adjusted the cave section specifically for the 3DS, however, keeping in mind that everyone is stuck using the LCD.

The caves in MGS3 were originally designed for use with a CRT and the effect is reduced a bit on most flat panels (glowing backlight rather than darkness)

Veal

The 3DS has a pretty low quality LCD, so your TV must be REALLY shit. :p I'm sure they adjusted the cave section specifically for the 3DS, however, keeping in mind that everyone is stuck using the LCD.

The caves in MGS3 were originally designed for use with a CRT and the effect is reduced a bit on most flat panels (glowing backlight rather than darkness)

Dude what? It may not be a retina display or oled, but it's far from low quality.

man, my 3DS has gotten 0 use in almost 10 months. time to finally dust that sommbitch off. I wonder if it even turns on.

But yea, I've bought:

Snake Eater
Snake Eater (Substance)
HD collection
and now 3D.

Jesus, you just made me realize this is my fourth time as well. Bravo, Konami.

I have no idea how that's even remotely possible if like video games at all.

And, yeah, I've bought it five times too.

I got the Japanese limited edition of Subsistence too. It has way better packaging.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dude what? It may not be a retina display or oled, but it's far from low quality.
Well, I'm inherently anti-LCD to begin with but the 3DS has a low resolution screen (what's visible to the eye is lower resolution than the 2004 PSP), with a low contrast ratio (the "blacks" are rather gray), poor viewing angle (in 2D and 3D), and a low max brightness. Even by LCD standards, it simply doesn't look very good.

Now, obviously, I realize that sacrifices had to be made in order to pull off the 3D, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not attractive.

I got the Japanese limited edition of Subsistence too. It has way better packaging.
Ah yes, beautiful packaging. I picked that up on the day it came out just before heading to the airport. Made for a stressful morning, but it was worth it for MGS3. :p

is this real life
People say this kind of shit all the time. All of the current consoles have plenty of awesome games in their library but that doesn't stop people from dropping similar comments.

Lothars

I have a question what's the difference between the options I like MGS1 MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGS peace walker and I like all MGS games options when starting.

I looked into the manual and did a search but can't find anything regarding it.

sfried

3DS version is pretty impressive. People who might think the 3D aspect is gimmicky might want to see this. It helps the models have been retextured and some effects redone, but I could swear the lighting is more apparent in this version compared to the videos I've seen of the others. The whole "green filter" has been toned down too and looks more subtle rather than distracting (better colour contrast).

I only wished it had more control scheme options other than Peace Walker or CPPro traditional. RE:R spoiled me on gyro aiming.

You didn't buy Pushmo or Super Mario 3D Land? You are the worst kind of person.

Not playing RE: Revelations is the bigger crime imo.

Well, I'm inherently anti-LCD to begin with but the 3DS has a low resolution screen (what's visible to the eye is lower resolution than the 2004 PSP), with a low contrast ratio (the "blacks" are rather gray), poor viewing angle (in 2D and 3D), and a low max brightness. Even by LCD standards, it simply doesn't look very good.

Yes its not high resolution and that contributes to aliasing in games, but that is nothing to do with the quality of the LCD wafer, it has a suitable DPI - and with power saving off and max brightness - it looks totally contemporary to me compared with most LCD based products I can think of. You say what's visible to the eye is lower resolution than the PSP, but what's visible to the eye is completely variable, it depends completely on how you're holding the device and how far away from the screen your face is -- parallax barriers can't halt sight of every odd pixel from every angle... in 2D some games have free AA, and generally in games with 24 bit color and a good framerate the IQ is just fine. Really, the only things I can think of that are appreciably improved and more 'expensive' looking are gorilla glass covered screens on Apple hardware and OLED screens.

hitmon

But yea, I've bought:

Snake Eater
Snake Eater (Substance)
HD collection
and now 3D.

No Resident Evil Revelaitons? Arguably the best game on the 3DS right now in my opinion. Even if you aren't a fan of the RE series, I'd say give it a shot. Tip, use gyro aiming.

Really wish there was gyro aiming in MGS 3DS..

CorvoSol

Can someone explain something to me, real quick? Just some basic questions about Snake Eater that have always bugged me:

1. Is Big Boss' real name really John Doe?

2. How old is The Boss? She doesn't look that old, but the woman had a child on D-Day, so she can't be THAT young either. I'm guessing she's in her forties?

3. How is it that we don't know the names of some of the most important characters in the series? Like, what is The Boss' real name?

4. This one is more about Peace Walker, but, why isn't anyone at all affected by the revelation at the end of the game? Huey is like "Oh, that bites!" and Dr. Strangelove laughs it off. Snake doesn't seem to punish Miller at all for his part in it, either. They spend the entire game making you think the traitor is one way, only to reveal that's a lie, and then nobody even bats an eye when it's over.

Luigiv

No Resident Evil Revelaitons? Arguably the best game on the 3DS right now in my opinion. Even if you aren't a fan of the RE series, I'd say give it a shot. Tip, use gyro aiming.

Really wish there was gyro aiming in MGS 3DS..

Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy is better. Well I can't really say that fairly since I still haven't made much progress in Revelations but I do now that Ace Combat was the game that got me to put Revelation down in the first place.

Actually bought it on Monday when I realized I could shack the price down to 10 bucks since I no longer cared about UMvC3. Manage to get past The Pain.

I actually got stuck in the tree while fighting Ocelot though :l.

Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy is better. Well I can't really say that fairly since I still haven't made much progress in Revelations but I do now that Ace Combat was the game that got me to put Revelation down in the first place.

I really want to try this out since it went down to 30 bucks, but I don't know enough about it.

News Bot

Banned
Can someone explain something to me, real quick? Just some basic questions about Snake Eater that have always bugged me:

2. How old is The Boss? She doesn't look that old, but the woman had a child on D-Day, so she can't be THAT young either. I'm guessing she's in her forties?

3. How is it that we don't know the names of some of the most important characters in the series? Like, what is The Boss' real name?

4. This one is more about Peace Walker, but, why isn't anyone at all affected by the revelation at the end of the game? Huey is like "Oh, that bites!" and Dr. Strangelove laughs it off. Snake doesn't seem to punish Miller at all for his part in it, either. They spend the entire game making you think the traitor is one way, only to reveal that's a lie, and then nobody even bats an eye when it's over.

In regards to the last one, Kojima's ability to write a coherent and consistent storyline is somewhat limited.

pa22word

No one knows BB's last name, but I doubt it's "Doe"

2. We don't know her DOB

3. Because they aren't important in the context of the games/gives an aura of mysteriousness to the characters

4. Because PW is a sandwich story, and sandwich stories almost always have a contrived and mehtastic plot and ending due to the fact that they have a set beginning and end.

People say this kind of shit all the time. All of the current consoles have plenty of awesome games in their library but that doesn't stop people from dropping similar comments.

so someone buys a console which is 12 months old, doesn't play it for 10 months and people can't even act surprised?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
is this real life

Well, My Ps3 and Wii are collecting dust, but is not due lack of games or crappines of the platforms. I Simply haven't given the time, even though I have UC3, Rayman Origin and LoZ:SWS on my backlog waiting for me. :( I dare to say I wasted my money on those games. I'm sure they are very high quality, but I'm not sure when I will give them some time: Whenever I have the time to sit on the comfy couch I just want to do something else, like watching a film; and when I do want to play my 3DS, PC and now Vita are much more accessible.

zroid

Banned
I think I read somewhere -- it might've been 1up's review -- that the controls in this game are superior to the HD collection. I don't really understand why that would be the case, so is there any truth to that?

I have no idea how that's even remotely possible if like video games at all.
is this real life

haha, yep, I'm in a 3DS thread. Dat tunnel vision. I'll tell you how one goes 10 months without playing their 3DS:

1.) Steam (with 30 games I haven't even installed yet)
2.) Xbox 360
3.) iPhone
4.) iPad
5.) PS3
6.) Grown-ass man that drives everywhere and usually doesn't like to carry extra stuff around, meaning few times to play on the go and fewer times when I have the 3DS on me.
7.) GAF and other social outlets competing for (and winning) time that the 3DS could be played.

No, life doesn't revolve around playing games on a 3DS. Plus, I found the d-pad so uncomfortable....my thumb would begin to hurt within 20 minutes of play with Street Fighter. Made me lose a lot of interest in the device, though I never got around to selling it. I've kinda been thinking about getting back into it and MGS3D seems like a decent starting point.

You didn't buy Pushmo or Super Mario 3D Land? You are the worst kind of person.

nope, I haven't even bothered to follow 3DS releases since last May or so. Again, I think the shooting pain it caused my thumb made me lose almost all interest. It was pain unlike I've felt in my life in gaming, ever. It's like the device was made for baby hands, rather than my grown-ass hands (about 8.5" from bottom of palm to tip of index finger). Makes holding these little devices extremely uncomfortable over long periods. The original DS was fine, though. The PSP's nub caused similar discomfort...but nowhere near as bad as the 3DS. I think it's the size of the d-pad + its location. I'd probably need to look up some sort of device/attachment that holds the 3DS and adds volume to it in order to get some comfort out of it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
haha, yep, I'm in a 3DS thread. Dat tunnel vision. I'll tell you how one goes 10 months without playing their 3DS:

2.) Xbox 360
3.) iPhone
4.) iPad
5.) PS3
6.) Grown-ass man that drives everywhere and usually doesn't like to carry extra stuff around, meaning few times to play on the go and fewer times when I have the 3DS on me.
7.) GAF and other social outlets competing for (and winning) time that the 3DS could be played.

No, life doesn't revolve around playing games on a 3DS. Plus, I found the d-pad so uncomfortable....my thumb would begin to hurt within 20 minutes of play with Street Fighter. Made me lose a lot of interest in the device, though I never got around to selling it. I've kinda been thinking about getting back into it and MGS3D seems like a decent starting point.

I would recommend SM3Dland and RE:R revelations, however. If you don't pick up the CPP, there's a chance that this game will get you away from 3DS again... :(

2.) Xbox 360
3.) iPhone
4.) iPad
5.) PS3

nope, I haven't even bothered to follow 3DS releases since last May or so. Again, I think the shooting pain it caused my thumb made me lose almost all interest. It was pain unlike I've felt in my life in gaming, ever. It's like the device was made for baby hands, rather than my grown-ass hands (about 8.5" from bottom of palm to tip of index finger). Makes holding these little devices extremely uncomfortable over long periods. The original DS was fine, though. The PSP's nub caused similar discomfort...but nowhere near as bad as the 3DS. I think it's the size of the d-pad + its location. I'd probably need to look up some sort of device/attachment that holds the 3DS and adds volume to it in order to get some comfort out of it.
I own every console/handheld (Vita included), and play games on all of them. I have an iPod Touch, iPad, Android tablet and 30+ games on Steam too.

I also have a regular job and a long-term relationship. Oh, and I'm a super socialite. In fact, I'm drunk right now.

Yet, I somehow find a way to play my 3DS.

Crazy. I guess I'm superhuman.

pa22word

I think I read somewhere -- it might've been 1up's review -- that the controls in this game are superior to the HD collection. I don't really understand why that would be the case, so is there any truth to that?

Coming from someone who's beaten the game 5 times on the 3DS: not a chance. Maybe to an outsider who doesn't understand the value of the peaking skill (it's invaluable, and the lack of it ruins some speed run strategies) the extremely inaccurate TPS controls (even with the frankenstick due to the deadzones and wide reticle), and frustrating aiming controls period due to the deadzones of the frankenstick. Crouch walking doesn't really add anything due to the environments not being balanced around it, no pressure sensitive buttons, no FPV looking at all unless you have a weapon equipped (which obscures your sight), you can't auto lock whenever you please (due to the change of view being mapped to the touchscreen) and the low framerate during boss encounters often induces input delays of up to a full second or more. Oh and the extremely low resolution of the 3DS often times makes lining up headshots a major pain in the ass. Often times feels like I'm lining up headshots off a single pixel.

Go with the HDv tbqh.

2.) Xbox 360
3.) iPhone
4.) iPad
5.) PS3

I think your problems with the 3DS are not about time but hey, yer life man

zroid

Banned
Go with the HDv tbqh.

Hmm, alright. Well, I would get the HD collection regardless because of MGS2 and Peace Walker, but I wasn't really sure whether I should bother picking up the 3DS version too. Maybe if the game goes on sale down the road, just for the hell of it. 3D is kinda nice as well.

Boney

Banned

3d glasses

I own every console/handheld (Vita included), and play games on all of them. I have an iPod Touch, iPad, Android tablet and 30+ games on Steam too.

I also have a regular job and a long-term relationship. Oh, and I'm a super socialite. In fact, I'm drunk right now.

Yet, I somehow find a way to play my 3DS.

Crazy. I guess I'm superhuman.

show me the ways of the secular world

Top Bottom