• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater |OT| "The world was split into two - HD and 3D."

OmegaZero

There aren't exactly a lot of those objects in the game, from what I recall, and those that were could already be hidden behind originally.

The map design and AI simply was created with crouch walking in mind so it ultimately changes little.

Yeah, it's more of a streamlining thing then a totally gamechanging thing.
But I like it.
It always felt awkward for me when I tried moving crouched Snake only to watch as he started crawling.

jokkir

I think I need help. Late game spoilers:

I'm at the point where you have to steal the colonels/majors uniform so I can get into the other wings of the place. How do you take his uniform exactly? I can't seem to stick up the guy or pick him up and drop him so he can drop an item

Raptomex

This is the first time I'm playing through this game. I have the MGS collection for PS2 and Twin Snakes for GCN just never got around to beating any of them. I like the game so far but the cutscene framerate is atrocious. I can't imagine it was this bad originally.

Boney

Banned
I think I need help. Late game spoilers:

I'm at the point where you have to steal the colonels/majors uniform so I can get into the other wings of the place. How do you take his uniform exactly? I can't seem to stick up the guy or pick him up and drop him so he can drop an item

drag him into the lockers in the second floor and a cutscene will trigger

Ridley327

This is the first time I'm playing through this game. I have the MGS collection for PS2 and Twin Snakes for GCN just never got around to beating any of them. I like the game so far but the cutscene framerate is atrocious. I can't imagine it was this bad originally.

It was that bad originally, but the game had a blurring effect that minimized the choppiness that isn't present in this version.

Inconsistent cutscene framerates are something of a tradition for the series.

pa22word

Oh and hey there's a glitch during the
last fight with Volgin
that lets you use 3D in the FPV with one of the turrets laying around. Needless to say, I know why they cut it out of the main game. My eyes crossed and I had to close one eye in order to properly shoot at all.

Doing a hard mode no kill no alert run atm. Got up to
The Fear
without any problems other than the
jumping scientists in Granin's lab
haha

I rage quit'd after I was getting some terrible framerates in the fight itself while using the Thermal Goggles. So bad my inputs were being delayed by like 2ish seconds =\

Boney

Banned
I'm this close of buying this. Plz, someone, give me reason why I shouldn't. :S

rage quit'd after I was getting some terrible framerates in the fight itself while using the Thermal Goggles. So bad my inputs were being delayed by like 2ish seconds =\

sounds like a pretty good reason :p

did this happen to any other here?

Wolfe

Oh and hey there's a glitch during the
last fight with Volgin
that lets you use 3D in the FPV with one of the turrets laying around. Needless to say, I know why they cut it out of the main game. My eyes crossed and I had to close one eye in order to properly shoot at all.

Naw dude I dunno why they cut that feature but RE:R has no issues with first person aiming in 3D, if it looks bad in that game it's cause it's not implemented properly (and considering it's disabled normally that makes sense).

Naw dude I dunno why they cut that feature but RE:R has no issues with first person aiming in 3D, if it looks bad in that game it's cause it's not implemented properly (and considering it's disabled normally that makes sense).

This has been covered extensively already. It has nothing to do with good/poor implementation.

It works in Revelations, because of the laser sight.

The only gun in MGS3 that has 3D first-person aiming is the EZ Gun, which also uses a laser sight.

Wolfe

This has been covered extensively already. It has nothing to do with good/poor implementation.

The only gun in MGS3 that has 3D first-person aiming is the EZ Gun, which also uses a laser sight.

That's cool, I didn't realize the gattling gun in RE uses a laser sight.

braves01

Banned
So, I had a copy of MGS3 vanilla that I'd never got around to, but thanks to MGS 3DS I finally decided to play it. Hopefully it's still okay to post impressions in here with everyone else.

First off, the theme music/intro for this is better than most Bond movies. Seriously. And speaking of the theme, *late game spoiler*
How fucking awesome was it to hear it play again climbing up that ladder?

Secondly, the story is much better than expected, especially since I played MGS4 first. Although, I do have some questions about something from near the end of the game.
Before Snake is tortured, why does Volgin grab his junk? Are Volgin and Raikov lovers? And is Raikov somehow related to Raiden? He looks a lot like him and they crack some jokes about Snake's fairy disguise, not to mention the similarities in the name

That's cool, I didn't realize the gattling gun in RE uses a laser sight.

Stream of bullets when it fires.

Secondly, the story is much better than expected, especially since I played MGS4 first. Although, I do have some questions about something from near the end of the game.
Before Snake is tortured, why does Volgin grab his junk? Are Volgin and Raikov lovers? And is Raikov somehow related to Raiden? He looks a lot like him and they crack some jokes about Snake's fairy disguise, not to mention the similarities in the name

Yes.
Raikov and Volgin are lovers. Volgin grabs his junk, and realizes it's not Raikov. He looks like Raiden, because fans hated him in MGS2. So, as a tip of the hat, Kojima poked fun of him in MGS3 -- ONLY TO MAKE HIM AWESOME IN MGS4.

LeleSocho

Banned

Because he is bi. Yes. No it's only a joke character.

OmegaZero

Fair enough, but until I see something that actually states that this is the case I'll remain slightly skeptical.

When you're aiming with the guns in RE, where are you focusing?
Where the laser sight is, right?

Aiming in FPS view in MGS3 means you have to use the sights, and look "through" the gun to hit an enemy. If it was 3D, then you'd get an effect similar to the rifles in RE (in 3D, of course).
If you own RE, you probably know what I'm talking about, but if you haven't tried it yet, take out a rifle, take aim down it and turn up the 3D.
Yay double images.

Another nice feature the 3DS game has that I haven't seen talked about is that the camera saves pics to the SD card in 2D or 3D. So if people really want to compare to the original, it should be pretty easy. :)

Although, I do have some questions about something from near the end of the game.

His name is Major Ivan Raidenovich Raikov. Raidenovich means "son of Raiden."

Also, Raidenovich is a play on words in Japanese. "Raiden" means thunder god, and is one of Volgin's nicknames (due to his power). Raidenovich in Japanese sounds a lot like "Raiden no vich," i.e. "Raiden no bitch," i.e. "Volgin's bitch!"

Wolfe

When you're aiming with the guns in RE, where are you focusing?
Where the laser sight is, right?

Aiming in FPS view in MGS3 means you have to use the sights, and look "through" the gun to hit an enemy. If it was 3D, then you'd get an effect similar to the rifles in RE (in 3D, of course).
If you own RE, you probably know what I'm talking about, but if you haven't tried it yet, take out a rifle, take aim down it and turn up the 3D.
Yay double images.

Yeah but now you're comparing a scoped weapon to ones without, to be honest you've just reversed my opinion back to what it was lol.

Here's my question to you, go into RE:R and use first person aiming and go through all the weapons checking out how it looks, take out the laser sight and I see no reason why the aiming wouldn't still work the exact same way. Except in this case you would just have to approximate where the line of fire is going to be (middle of the screen basically.)

Again I will point to the example of the gatling gun fight in RE:R, sure there is a "stream of bullets" that acts similarly to the laser sight but unlike the laser you can stop firing and the stream of bullets stops, game is still in 3D first person aiming. Also with that fight in particular you don't want to be spamming the gun as it will overheat or the enemy won't always be in plain view, there was plenty of times I used burst firing and didn't have any issues aiming.

While I'm not saying the laser thing isn't a very real possibility, I think using the example of the scoped rifle was poor as that weapon is emulating pure single eye aiming.

I'll be happy for someone to prove me wrong but I need something a little more convincing.

Only have the demo but the Shotgun uses 3D first person in that. But hey, it's a shotgun.

I assumed it was related to the original letting you switch between 2 different First Person stances for certain sight enabled weapons, and here FP view forces you into the iron sights mode (2D) when available?

Even though I have MGS3 for PS2, PS3 (HD collection), and will most definitely be getting it on Vita, I still want a 3DS just for this game.

I must be crazy...

Could anyone answer if the binocular controls are easier in the full game? I found the touch screen slider very awkward. Do sniper rifles have a similar problem?

It's not even worth arguing about, it's something that's completely self-evident with just a little testing.

This isn't the right MGS and it's not quite aiming down the sight, but here, this is literally what you see if you aim down the sight in 3D:

YVp4Y.jpg

or:

lAWJe.jpg

It doesn't work. Aiming down the sight specifically, without the presence of a laser dot on your opponent for you to focus your vision on. When you're looking at your gun, you'll see two soldiers. When you're looking at the soldier, you'll see two guns. You NEED an indicator on the target itself in 3D.

Veal

I hope Nintendo and other devs actually try to support the CPP in future games! Even though the game is totally playable without it, it feels much better with it. Both mechanically and comfort wise. The CPP triggers are sooo nice.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's not even worth arguing about, it's something that's completely self-evident with just a little testing.

This isn't the right MGS and it's not quite aiming down the sight, but here, this is literally what you see if you aim down the sight in 3D:

YVp4Y.jpg

or:

lAWJe.jpg

It doesn't work. Aiming down the sight specifically, without the presence of a laser dot on your opponent for you to focus your vision on. When you're looking at your gun, you'll see two soldiers. When you're looking at the soldier, you'll see two guns. You NEED an indicator on the target itself in 3D.
That's what you would see, realistically, but there ARE ways to still deliver the illusion by faking it. When you look down the sights in Killzone 3, for instance, the game is still in 3D yet the way they project the image allows it to work. It's not exactly realistic, but it still looks great and convincing. It seems to depend on which layer you are projecting to. If you project the gun further away from the camera in 3D space you should be able to see both it and the enemies in 3D with depth between them.

Wolfe

Cmon dude, first off I'm not arguing, I'm trying to have a discussion. Secondly it's not self evident (to me, as in no one has explained why it technically cannot be done, I have yet to hear a convincing example since I jumped into the conversation) when one game can apparently do it just fine.

I simply want someone to enlighten me, I'm ignorant on the subject and can only form an uninformed opinion at the moment.

Again I will bring up the example of the gatling gun, it uses no laser sight and I had no problems with the 3D in first person view using it regardless of it I was firing the weapon or not. If this is flawed let me know why! :)

I totally understand that the laser aids in allowing the player to focus on things within the 3D space or whatever but I just fail to see why you would be unable to do first person aiming without it.

OmegaZero

Yeah but now you're comparing a scoped weapon to ones without, to be honest you've just reversed my opinion back to what it was lol.

Here's my question to you, go into RE:R and use first person aiming and go through all the weapons checking out how it looks, take out the laser sight and I see no reason why the aiming wouldn't still work the exact same way. Except in this case you would just have to approximate where the line of fire is going to be (middle of the screen basically.)

I'm not sure you even got my point. Let me try and clarify:
When aiming using a scoped weapon in RE, you're trying to line up the sights with the enemy. When in 3D, the object you're not focusing on blurs into disorientating double images, as others have shown/stated.

The same concept applies to the FPS mode in MGS, because you're not aiming the gun from the hip or with a laser in most cases (and the ones that are being aimed in those ways have 3D, further demonstrating the point). You're aiming down the sights. That is, trying to line up an object on one plane with an object in a closer/farther plane.
It's basically the same concept as the 3D scope in RE because you're doing essentially the same thing for most weapons in MGS.

It should be noted that the scope in RE isn't "emulating pure single eye aiming" because you can see 3D while aiming down the scope. So that shouldn't factor into this at all.

Again I will bring up the example of the gatling gun, it uses no laser sight and I had no problems with the 3D in first person view using it regardless of it I was firing the weapon or not. If this is flawed let me know why! :)

That's because unlike most MGS weapons, you're not using the weapon itself to aim.
http://youtu.be/Cpn-sod9IVI?t=6m54s

As you can see, the bullets go toward the center of the screen. You're not using the weapon itself to judge where the bullets are going to go. The center of the screen is the focus, not the weapon.
If you had to actually use those iron crosshairs on the gun, it'd act similarly to RE's scoped weapons. But you're not even focusing on the gun at all during the battle.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Great OT. I want this, but I won't be buying it due to being inundated with other games for the foreseeable future.

I'm glad knowing it's out there and exists. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. I might buy it when it goes on sale and gift it to someone :O

Wolfe

I'm not sure you even got my point. Let me try and clarify:
When aiming using a scoped weapon in RE, you're trying to line up the sights with the enemy. When in 3D, the object you're not focusing on blurs into disorientating double images, as others have shown/stated.

The same concept applies to the FPS mode in MGS, because you're not aiming the gun from the hip or with a laser in most cases (and the ones that are being aimed in those ways have 3D, further demonstrating the point). You're aiming down the sights. That is, trying to line up an object on one plane with an object in a closer/farther plane.
It's basically the same concept as the 3D scope in RE because you're doing essentially the same thing for most weapons in MGS.

It should be noted that the scope in RE isn't "emulating pure single eye aiming" because you can see 3D while aiming down the scope. So that shouldn't factor into this at all.

That's because unlike most MGS weapons, you're not using the weapon itself to aim.
http://youtu.be/Cpn-sod9IVI?t=6m54s

As you can see, the bullets go toward the center of the screen. You're not using the weapon itself to judge where the bullets are going to go. The center of the screen is the focus, not the weapon.
If you had to actually use those iron crosshairs on the gun, it'd act similarly to RE's scoped weapons. But you're not even focusing on the gun at all during the battle.

That definitely makes more sense, and was what I assumed you were getting at I was just getting frustrated at the lack of explanations as I don't want to assume anything.

Either way I'll let the discussion go now as I'm ok with that explaination. Thanks for clarifying.

OmegaZero

That definitely makes more sense, and was what I assumed you were getting at I was just getting frustrated at the lack of explanations as I don't want to assume anything.

Either way I'll let the discussion go now as I'm ok with that explanation. Thanks for clarifying.

No problem.
By the way, if you want to experience first person aiming in 3D with MGS3D, then use either the EZ-Gun, M37, M63, or Scorpion.

sfried

Dammit, I'm stuck with
The Fear
. I'm trying to traq his ass and
prevent him from eating but trying to keep him from getting food is hard

Any help?

jsnepo

Dammit, I'm stuck with
The Fear

Any help?

Throw poison dart frogs. He'll eat those instead.
There are plenty of those in the area where you fight the Fear.

sfried

Throw poison dart frogs. He'll eat those instead.
There are plenty of those in the area where you fight the Fear.

So what I'm getting is
kill some dart frogs, use their meat as weapons and throw them on the ground when the music calms down
? Okay I guess...

jsnepo

So what I'm getting is
kill some dart frogs, use their meat as weapons and throw them on the ground when the music calms down
? Okay I guess...

Yup. Collect some first then tranq him. You'll hear him when he's hungry so make sure to throw at least one for him to eat then tranq him again.

Danny 117

Or
you could take the fake death pill near a trap and lure the fear to inspect your body :p
That or lure him then throw a stun and tranq him.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So this is good? Don't care for CPP, will just make me look like a retard in public. I tried the demo and the controls weren't bad for me. FPS was horrible though

If this is your biggest concern then I advise you to stay as far away from this game as possible, because it's not meant to be played on the go at all.

Ehh...any game that supports sleep mode is fine on the go, IMO.

But caring about how the CPP makes you look is utterly ridiculous anyway.

-Eddman-

I'm so glad I bought this version, totally worth it and portable!

Started it last night and completed the Virtuous Mission. I found the stardard controls to be playable and my biggest fear, sound quality, is great with headphones.

Early previews made me think this was going to be complete garbage, but fortunately, I can say I agree with most of the reviews so far.

Boney

Banned
Dammit, I'm stuck with
The Fear

Any help?

Just use the thermal goggles and gun him to death when he hops around on the trees, sooner or later he'll land on the one you're aiming and just use you ak. Or tranq him if you want the camo.

pa22word

Ehh...any game that supports sleep mode is fine on the go, IMO.

The intro to the game is over half an hour long man, and filled to the brim with cutscenes.

Unless you're planning a trip to Hawaii or something, I can't in good faith recommend this game to people looking for a good 'game on the go'.

Ridley327

So what I'm getting is
? Okay I guess...

He'll also go after spoiled food, if you happen to have any on you. He's not the most picky eater. :D

Top Bottom