• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New pic of Pennywise from "IT" (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
click to enlarge

direct image link http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2016/08/16/pennywise-ew-00054120.jpg

pennywise-ew-00054120.jpg

For that, the filmmaker relied on Emmy-winning costume designer Janie Bryant (Deadwood, Mad Men) who crafted a form-fitting suit that draws upon a number of bygone times – among them Medieval, Renaissance, Elizabethan, and Victorian eras.

More info at this article.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/16/pennywise-costume-stephen-king-it-movie

They're trying too hard. The genius of the original Pennywise was how plain and ordinary he looked. He could be any clown at any kids birthday party.

hqdefaultn4sx5.jpg

That's why it was scary as fuck.

IMO part of what makes Tim Curry Pennywise so creepy is how normal the costume looks compared to Curry's face and mannerisms.

This looks like Harley Quinn cosplay for men.

BokehKing

Banned
Circus close are more frightening than mid evil close because they look friendlier and that's what I'll stand by.

He looks more like a court jester, which yeah I know is a clown but look at your traditional circus clown, look how friendly

SgbmQK.gif

Sephzilla

What made original Pennywise creepy was the fact that he, for the most part, was the way he emoted - not the way he looked. Original Pennywise looked generally like a normal clown. Not sure I'm a fan of blatantly evil looking Pennywise here.

Eh, I guess it's not horrible. I wish they would have chosen someone older though, I feel like it would have upped the creep factor.

Snaku

Banned
I mean Georgie would take one look at that thing in the storm drain and NOPE NOPE NOPE right the fuck home. How is that thing supposed to lure children in?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I mean Georgie would take one look at that thing in the storm drain and NOPE NOPE NOPE right the fuck home. How is that thing supposed to lure children in?

No kid is going to go up to a clown in a storm drain just t his stupid paper boat back anyway.

And once he starts talking about floating? If that doesn't scare a kid away I doubt this makeup will.

Ridley327

I like the various historical elements that the costuming features, but I will agree wholeheartedly that a big reason why Curry's Pennywise was so effectively creepy was that he looked like a regular clown, which helped sell the terror of his turns as the façade breaks down and shows It for what it really is. Making it outwardly antagonistic doesn't give it nearly the same creep factor.

Matty77

It could work.

And I am sick of people using curry as a barometer, they are not remaking the mini series they are readapting the book and some people myself included think that while curry was good in that miniseries it was a far from great representation of IT from the book.

They're trying too hard. The genius of the original Pennywise was how plain and ordinary he looked. He could be any clown at any kids birthday party.

hqdefaultn4sx5.jpg

IIRC it's a big no-no for clowns to have sharp edges on any of their paint. That's one of the reasons it looks so creepy.

Paracelsus

hqdefaultn4sx5.jpg

And that about wraps it up. He's pretty much another take on Ronald McDonald.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom