• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

_Rafa_ said:
If the cash in my broker account is in CAD, will it cost me something if i buy USD stocks?
It shouldn't. The only thing you have to worry about is currency exchange risk, but that can also net you money.

I have a US Brokerage account and have bought Canadian stocks with no extra fees.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah what the hell are you paying for a bank accout or investment account for? Most places will actually pay you to open one, especially if you're putting in over $1k:lol

Rayo

Banned
HEY!!!

I inherited 7.5 grand from my grandfather and I want to make the most money from it possible without doing work. I confidently plan on NOT having any need for that money, not even for emergency. What is the highest interest rate or yield there is out there for me?

koam

I'm not getting charged for opening an account. I'd never open an account under those terms.

I pay $399 a year (Jan-Dec) for 50 trades. The after that, it's $7 per trade.

Since we're Oct, i'm only payiong $102 for 13 trades which they charge me as soon as my account is open.

If the cash in my broker account is in CAD, will it cost me something if i buy USD stocks?

You should have (if you filled in your Ben-9 form) a CAD and a USD account by default. You need to move your money from CAD into the USD account and it automatically converts it to USD for you. Don't move the money too often cause you get charged 1% (or whatever their fee is) or so each time during the exchange (i.e let's say the exchange rate is a perfect 1:1.. you'd get charged $1.01CAD to get 1.00USD).

_Rafa_

Banned
so do you think it would be a good idea to put like 3/4 of my funds in USD account and the rest in CAD account?

koam

_Rafa_ said:
so do you think it would be a good idea to put like 3/4 of my funds in USD account and the rest in CAD account?

That's about what i have. You get charged taxes for US trades but it's really low. Also, I'll lose 15% of my money if i exchange my money back to CAD with the current rate.

koam

Well the exchange rate used to be $1USD = $1.15CAD when i converted my money, now it's closer to $1usd = $1cad. Still, I continue to do it because i find american stocks to be more volitile than canadian ones.

NTDOY pushing close to $70 again today!

lil smoke

Banned
koam said:
Well the exchange rate used to be $1USD = $1.15CAD when i converted my money, now it's closer to $1usd = $1cad. Still, I continue to do it because i find american stocks to be more volitile than canadian ones.

NTDOY pushing close to $70 again today!
$69.40 is the all time high! Make history Tendo!
edit. LOL oh. $69.40 happened yesterday. doh!

koam

_Rafa_ said:
good for people who bought it low but its too hight to buy now

:) That's something you'll have to get adjusted to. I remember when Apple was too high to buy at $90 in April. And Google was too high at $400!

koam

Here's something interesting that explains the recent hike:

Nintendo (NTDOY: 68.60, +0.85, +1.25%) received a "Buy" rating from Goldman Sachs, which just initiated coverage of the firm. Traders sent shares of the gaming company higher in Tokyo on the rating and hopes that Nintendo would raise its earnings outlook for the year

Also, the free jacket program is costing them $17million dollars but according to Nintendo, it won't affect their profits at all.

For those interested, here's part of my watch list:

US Stocks
AAPL
MSFT
YHOO
INTC
ADBE
AMZN
GRMN
URZ
SNDK
EXEL
CREE
PANL
MON
NVDA
TTWO
ERTS
JRJC
LFC
MS
BIDU
YGE
EXM
VCLK
ANW
TPX
JNJ
CHNR

Canadian stocks
RIM.TO
BCE.TO
GIB-A.TO
TD.TO
RY.TO
BNS.TO
THI.TO
POT.TO
AGU.TO
ARQ.V
SU.TO

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone knows of a listed company that has been involved in the development of touch-sense tech?

After OLED I think it's the next big thing because we are likely to see more and more iPhone-like devices (basically, a portable screen with an Operating System, which can be updated with new features and have its display change based on which software is running). Even the next-gen game controllers will probably have no buttons, or at least very few, and will instead feature touch-sensitive displays with customizable button layouts/features. This will greatly reduce hardware related costs in the end, be it in the military or medical field or schools.

koam

Ether_Snake said:
Anyone knows of a listed company that has been involved in the development of touch-sense tech?

After OLED I think it's the next big thing because we are likely to see more and more iPhone-like devices (basically, a portable screen with an Operating System, which can be updated with new features and have its display change based on which software is running). Even the next-gen game controllers will probably have no buttons, or at least very few, and will instead feature touch-sensitive displays with customizable button layouts/features.

Touch-sense is a haptic feedback technology created by Immersion Corp (IMMR). It's for feedback (like rumble).

Edit:
VibeTonz is what you're looking for.

2007 marks the breakout year for touchscreen technology in mobile phones, as numerous high-profile product introductions have featured the use of a touchscreen to replace mechanical keys as the primary user input mechanism.

Now, with the VibeTonz System, mobile phone manufacturers have an inexpensive, robust way to radically improve usability of their touchscreen-based models. This embedded technology provides an unmistakable tactile confirmation to the user that their finger or stylus press on the touchscreen was accepted as input.

http://www.immersion.com/mobility/touchscreen/benefits.php
http://www.immersion.com/mobility/touchscreen/reviews.php
http://www.immersion.com/mobility/touchscreen/vt-system.php

Also, keep in mind that the touchscreens are .. screens. OLED is the future of mobile screens so feel free to double dip on this one :)

PANL is the best one for mobile screens. Cambridge (OLED ticker) was great but they were bought out and will go private soon at $12 a share. CREE also works on OLED but for lighting solutions, I think CREE still has a long way to go before their tech picks up.

Edit 2: Oh OLED buyout is complete, they sold at $12 like expected.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Alright thanks for the info I'll add them to my watch list.

Currently still doing well with ATVI and TTWO. I bought ATVI at 18.27, now trading at 22.84. I think they will do very well during their third and fourth quarters. They had a record Q2. They have Guitar Hero doing very well, Call of Duty coming up, Quake Wars, etc.

Take 2 I'm not really confident about right now. I bought it at the right time but I think between their next fiscal results and a more certain announcement of GTAIV's release date it may sink again in the low 10s. If GTAIV is really released in spring then they should be able to remain stable until then. Bioshock did well, I guess if Manhunt sells nicely too then it could happen.

The one I'm looking closely to right now is Adobe. I'm just waiting for a dip.

Nvidia is also interesting but unless I see a big dip I'm not confident enough, altho it has certainly been doing nicely. A $3 dip would be enough for me to make it a buy.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I bought TTWO at $15.20 US.

I'm very confident in Nvidia long-term, but I want a dip before I make a buy. All in all I'm sure they could regain, after a drop, whatever their peak would have been just before, which is why I'm waiting. Right now I'm just not sure for how long it could keep on rising steadily without a drop.

EDIT: And AMD has not been doing very well, so who knows what may happen with ATI. There are always rumors of AMD getting bought.

lil smoke

Banned
This is what I started with. $2000 to dip my toes in the water and get a feel for things. Started around 8-3-07. Not listed in the order of purchase.

CROX___7 @ $58.63, last $67.10, gain $59.29
NTDOY__10@ $57.35, last $68.60, gain $112.50
SNE_____5 @ $46.58, last $49.82, gain $16.20
KFT_____10 @ $32.13, last $34.28, gain $21.50
TTWO___20 @ 14.45, last $17.72, gain $65.41
ARK____10 @ $5.58, last $5.66, gain $0.80
WGDFF__20 @ $2.70, last $3.56, gain $17.20

Starting account value = $2000.00
Current account value = $2272.74
Available funds = $45.16

I'm considering putting another $2000 into these soon and some new choices. Just going by instinct, and I'm well prepared for the possibility of losing all the money. If all is well, I'll keep adding to it, but I am sticking to my principle of baby steps.

koam

You need to start buying more of each company. It's really hard making money when you only own 10-50 shares of a company. The extra $2000 will help too but really, i think you should reduce the amount of companies you own and increase the amount of shares. Keep like 3, max 4, at a time with $4000.

P.S what are you paying in terms of commission?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hmm you buy small amounts. I got only ATVI and TTWO, 140 shares each so 280 total. I would go crazy having to keep track of so many different stocks, especially if they are in different sectors. Plus, if I want to buy or sell I have to pay a commission so that eats away at my profits.

If I did this I would have put everything in penny stocks, hoping for something to like JRJC to pop up:D

BTW Koam what do you think of JRJC and CHNR (+15% TODAY)? Why not buy right now? Just looking at those two makes me cry for not buying em, plus they are still cheap.

EDIT: And RCH

koam

Ether_Snake said:
BTW Koam what do you think of JRJC and CHNR (+15% TODAY)? Why not buy right now? Just looking at those two makes me cry for not buying em, plus they are still cheap.

EDIT: And RCH

China is hot stuff right now. JRJC would have been awesome on Monday, they went up so much (look at their 5 day chart). CHRN might have some room to grow, they were close (maybe passed?) $50 today. Another one that's pretty hot (check their chart since august) is LFC.

I'm not familiar with RCH, but looking at their chart, they've gone from $5 to $25 in 5 days? wow. They might just be piggy backing off the other hot china stocks now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well they have been trading for like less than a month.

A lot of former Chinese state-owned enterprises are going private.

There are other interesting markets to look at other than the US really. Brazil, Russia, India, and China (known as BRIC). Some say Mexico but I think that Mexico is too directly tied to the US' market.

EDIT: Some interest stocks from Brazil: ITU, BBD, BRP, RIO

I'm not taking the risk right now but I might look into investing in at least one BRIC stock, likely Brazil, by the end of the month. I really don't like investing in markets/sectors I don't know much about.

Here is a comparison of how some of them have been doing for the past year. It all looks rather stable compared to other markets, and the curves are very similar so they seem to be affected only by outer factors. I really know squat about those tho:) Anyway to me it looks like the major Brazilian stocks are very closely related to the emerging economy they are part of, that's why they look interesting to me. What would lead to dips in the US market doesn't affect the Brazilian one as much other than for a very short term due the rapid economical development of Brazil, so it's a fast recovering market. That's my probably-simplified analysis of the situation:)

2ugh45l.jpg

_Rafa_

Banned
koam said:
Here's something interesting that explains the recent hike:

Also, the free jacket program is costing them $17million dollars but according to Nintendo, it won't affect their profits at all.

For those interested, here's part of my watch list:

US Stocks
AAPL
MSFT
YHOO
INTC
ADBE
AMZN
GRMN
URZ
SNDK
EXEL
CREE
PANL
MON
NVDA
TTWO
ERTS
JRJC
LFC
MS
BIDU
YGE
EXM
VCLK
ANW
TPX
JNJ
CHNR

Canadian stocks
RIM.TO
BCE.TO
GIB-A.TO
TD.TO
RY.TO
BNS.TO
THI.TO
POT.TO
AGU.TO
ARQ.V
SU.TO

I would like to know were you take your symbols for canadian stocks please.

koam

Ether_Snake said:

What site is that from?

thanks...so if i understand well, you have to put .TO after the symbol to buy a TSX stock?

It depends. I use Yahoo Finance to look for my canadian stocks (20 min delayed, i use my broker for real time). When you do it there, you need a .TO. However, when you look at your broker's page, they give you an option between Canadian / USA. You don't need .TO in that case.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The site I posted the images from is www.boursier.com
I don't invest on the European markets but I like the site. Just select the specific market where it says "Paris". Then type the symbol or name.

EDIT: BTW as far as I know there is no way to compare charts like that, I did so myself by copy/pasting the images:)

koam

Ether_Snake said:
The site I posted the images from is www.boursier.com
I don't invest on the European markets but I like the site. Just select the specific market where it says "Paris". Then type the symbol or name.

EDIT: BTW as far as I know there is no way to compare charts like that, I did so myself by copy/pasting the images:)

Yahoo Finance does comparisons. Their site is quite good.

Example: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=1d&s=BBD&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=rio

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nice! I think I'll be using that now. And yep it confirms what I said about the charts as far as I can tell:)

koam

_Rafa_ said:
why did RIM.TO crashed a couple months ago?

It didn't. It had a 3:1 split. Basically, they split their price by 3 and gave all shareholders 3 times the amount of shares they had. So if you had 100 shares back then, you have 300 now.

lil smoke

Banned
koam said:
You need to start buying more of each company. It's really hard making money when you only own 10-50 shares of a company. The extra $2000 will help too but really, i think you should reduce the amount of companies you own and increase the amount of shares. Keep like 3, max 4, at a time with $4000.

P.S what are you paying in terms of commission?
Yeah, I know you mentioned that before and I considered that, but really 2 of them are insignificant anyways. I won't be adding more stocks, but just adding to the main ones if the time seems right, or I may replace or just sell Kraft.

Like I said I'm just starting and trying to trust some instinct, feel my way around. I like having a tiny bit of the little guys, because it forces me to look at them periodically and see what happens over a very large period of time... sort of practicing with little risk, and just having fun really. Not expecting any triple splits in a day!

I'm using Ameritrade. They start you with 500 free trades, but somewhere along the line...POOF, the 500 expired. (I thought it was 500 until they ran out!) I believe the trades are now $9, but I haven't made any transactions since then.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BTW the more I look at Immersion the more interested I am in investing in them over other stocks.

1- They are still cheap.
2- They have a lot of room for growth.
3- Their tech is used by AT LEAST Sony, Microsoft, and Logitech. Apple isn't doing business with them for their iPhone probably out of arrogance/not wanting to pay a dime for their patents/tech. But others will in order to put a competitive product that is better than the iPhone on the market, so the list will grow. Apple only made people interested in this new generation of devices, but the market is still completely open.
4- The whole touchscreen sector has no other way to go but up and Immersion is well positioned to be in the lead.
5- LEDs are indeed going to be used in all of those. But why not invest in LEDs companies instead of Immersion? Because many companies produce LEDS, and there is and will be more competition so it's blurry and risky as far as I'm concerned, altho much less than other sectors. Immersion' tech is patented and rather specific, hence less direct competition.

EDIT: One thing that worries me a bit is how Immersion has been making headlines mainly thanks to the lawsuit against MS and Sony, but at least they are now working with them to some extent and they must have made good money, so I doubt they'll sit on their asses.

And this is what I was specifically looking for:

Immersion Corp., a maker of tactile-feedback technology found in game controllers and other devices, added a vibration feature to go with the LG Prada touch screen and expects 10 more cellphones with advanced touch-screen technology to be introduced by other handset makers later this year.

The feature gives a slight vibration sensation when the touch screen's virtual keyboard is tapped. It's similar to the response users are accustomed to getting from mechanical keyboards.

I have a LOT of faith in portable devices which have entirely customizable interfaces. Every device will become nothing more than a screen+speakers/microphones with no buttons other than a power switch. Basically, a portable OS for which any sort of software can be made and updated. That's what MS' Zune should have been to begin with, and who knows maybe they have a Portable Windows on the way. But all in all those devices need tactile feedback like the one quoted above.

Of course other companies are probably involved in this but I'm gonna put my money on Immersion.

lil smoke said:
Yeah, I know you mentioned that before and I considered that, but really 2 of them are insignificant anyways. I won't be adding more stocks, but just adding to the main ones if the time seems right, or I may replace or just sell Kraft.

Like I said I'm just starting and trying to trust some instinct, feel my way around. I like having a tiny bit of the little guys, because it forces me to look at them periodically and see what happens over a very large period of time... sort of practicing with little risk, and just having fun really. Not expecting any triple splits in a day!

Yeah I understand that. I know I made a lot of dumb moves when I first invested and now I got a much better understanding of when to buy/sell than the average Joe. Good thing I never lost a dime:)

_Rafa_

Banned
do you guys know a website in wich you can build a watch list of stocks. I got one for USD stocks (zecco.com) but I need one for CAD stocks. Am i supposed to to have a watchlist in my trading platform?
thanks

koam

Your trading platform should let you. I'm currently building a site that will handle that as well.

Rimm went up $2 after hours but then dropped $4. It will probably open at $100 tomorrow anyway.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I made a bid for IMMR at $17.01 (closing price). This will turn out to be the biggest risk I ever took :lol

If RIMM's next Blackberry could feature Vibetonz then I'd laugh:p

EDIT: BTW Google Finance rocks, I prefer it to Yahoo!'s http://finance.google.com/

koam

Google finance is terrible hehe. The chart is pretty nasty (yahoo has that kind of chart too but it's off by default thank god). Also, yahoo has way more stock news per company and they have historics, reports and reuters feed. Cnn money is good too but their news (for each company) sucks.

Do a test, take a company, let's say RIMM.

Click on RIMM and see the news available for it under Google. Now do the same thing for Yahoo.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wellllll, it's Beta!:D

I guess I just like the way the chart flows:) I'll look into it on Yahoo.

_Rafa_

Banned
i like google finance a lot too. You can easilly track company symbols and everything is well presented all in one page.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Man I've spent all day looking at various stocks. Not the best way to spend my vacation;)

Anyway it's too bad there isn't a serious stock exchange news that deals exclusively with the video game market. I started one a while ago, called VGSEN (Video Games Stock-Exchange News), but it was too much work and I don't have time to handle a website. I could have a blog on the subject tho, but it would be extremely unprofessional;)

Here are some of today's conclusions:

THQ INC, a company I have NEVER been interested in at all is starting to look like a potential buy soon.

First take a look at how good it has been doing for some time:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=THQI

Rather consistent growth. And now looks like a good dip right? Yep, and not only are they financially sound but there is something particularly interesting about THQ.

http://www.thq.com/games/?platform=coming

If you look at the kinds of games they produce, well, they make a whole lot of crap. But crap doesn't cost much to make, and I wouldn't be surprised if they outsourced a lot (edit: made some verifications, and indeed they outsource a lot). Regardless, I used to be scared by their lineup, thinking the company was over-valued. But they also make strong sellers like Warhammer 40,000, and Warhammer 40,000: Squad Commander is coming up in November.

So what does this mean? Holiday sales always mean more sales for video games, BUT it also means more sales for crappy games. Basically when the sea level rises all ships rise. Crappy games cost nothing to make, they sell a lot more during the holidays just like every other games (and now PC games for little boys and girls sell more than ever because parents now realize games can be more worthwhile gifts than a bunch of plastic blocks or cardboard cards), and on top of that THQ also has a few strong sellers to release. Plus it's not like Warhammer 40,000: Squad Commander must have cost a fortune to make.

So I'd say it looks like a really safe buy, especially when you look at their track record.

EDIT: Also I now realize they are a good matching stock to ATVI. Both stocks have been very consistent and have shared progress (they have rather similar lineups as far as quality goes, same corporate mentality, without the burdens EA has to deal with). Makes things easier to track, and I have a lot of faith in ATVI already.

koam

Nintendo Shares Reach All-time High
Plus, there's speculation the company could raise its earnings forecast again.
by Rob Burman, IGN UK
UK, October 3, 2007 - Nintendo's Japanese share value has hit an all-time high as Goldman Sachs slapped a 'buy' rating on the company. Goldman Sachs also noted Nintendo's ability to create new markets "could bring it close to the level of Apple".

Shares in the publisher rose to 64,800 Yen (roughly 274 GBP) before closing at 64,300 Yen (about 272 GBP) on the Japanese stock market yesterday, as reported by Reuters. Once again, strong sales of both Wii and DS were cited as the reason behind the buying frenzy. However, Goldman Sachs predicts that Nintendo's value could sky rocket to 71,000 Yen.

Shares were also boosted by investor speculation that Nintendo is set to raise its earnings forecast, for the third time this financial year. Apparently, there's no end to the public's demand for Wii-mote waggling and stylus stroking.

Saw this on IGN Wii.

*does the happy dance

As for THQ... http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=THQI&t=6m
That isn't a very nice chart. You really shouldn't put all your eggs in the same basket too, diversify!

_Rafa_

Banned
thq are pretty cheap now. They keep falling since a couple months. I would wait a clear up movement before buying them.

Javaman

Ether_Snake said:
Man I've spent all day looking at various stocks. Not the best way to spend my vacation;)

Anyway it's too bad there isn't a serious stock exchange news that deals exclusively with the video game market. I started one a while ago, called VGSEN (Video Games Stock-Exchange News), but it was too much work and I don't have time to handle a website. I could have a blog on the subject tho, but it would be extremely unprofessional;)

I'd like to invest in a gaming oriented mutual fund, but the only one I've found so far (GACFX) also focuses on gambling and has been doing horrible compared to the indexes...

http://money.cnn.com/quote/mutualfund/mutualfund.html?showpage=holdings&symb=GACFX&sid=2274839

lil smoke

Banned
Yahoo is nice when you set up a my.yahoo page. I have my stockwatch, sports teams, local/int news, TV scheduling, etc. all on one page... and it's custom colored with a camoflauge background!

And yes, it seems to have more business headlines, but alot of them listed don't give you more then a few lines before you are suggested to subscribe for the rest of the article.

Didn't know there was a such thing as a Gaming Index... but if it focuses on gambling, I'll bet someone is making money and it aint gonna be you :lol

Top Bottom