• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of the largest space battles in human history is now unfolding

sp3000

This should be amazing to watch but instead it's utterly boring since it's EVE and is running at 2 fps.

Hopefully that dogfighting prototype actually becomes a game.

The scope of battle and the amount of players/cash involved with these battles and EVE is soo fascinating: 10,000 dollar ships, Over 4,000 players on the local system, fights over planetary systems etc :O

kurbaan

Banned
Wow one the worst and most misleading article titles of all time. Really making it out to be more than it is. Even though it may be a big deal for the people playing eve.

Darknight

So are DUST 514 player getting bombarded every minute? Imagine the PS3 players getting fucked out of oblivion without knowing wtf is going on.

I know this dont involve DUST lol

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
ITT: Simulation is boring. Fair is boring. News at 11.

lol @mittani Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

This should be amazing to watch but instead it's utterly boring since it's EVE and is running at 2 fps.

Hopefully that dogfighting prototype actually becomes a game.

Even at full speed, it would still look boring. Battles in EVE can take forever especially the larger they are.

Billen

Banned
I love all space based games aside from Eve Online. The world and culture may be fantastic, but I find the gameplay mind-numbingly dull.

However, events like this are very interesting. I'd like a compiled version viewable as an action movie.:)

So are DUST 514 player getting bombarded every minute? Imagine the PS3 players getting fucked out of oblivion without knowing wtf is going on.

I know this dont involve DUST lol

Was wondering that (I don't know anything about the Eve/Dust integration). That would also be more exciting to watch than the slowed-down stream.

I really like this EVE drama/war stuff though. Especially with these moral speech quotes and that quite some actual money is involved etc.

It's like a real world war if it were in space and if there were no actual consequences for the people involved. So they just go "fuck it, let's do this", "screw the economy", all combined with a what-if-alt-universe in which military Generals etc. are nerds that throw around movie quotes.

edit: can someone explain what led to this conflict? And one group is a reddit collective and the other some drama-inducing group?

Hesemonni

Banned
I dont know whats going on, but every story I hear about EVE makes me want to try to play it.
I know the feeling. Then sanity kicks in and I realize what time sinks all MMOs are. But stories are awesome.

E: I also knew it was about EVE the moment I saw the title. That's how l337 I am.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I'd point out that, if by mere chance, the SuperCap fleet gets caught, that's roughly $150k down the drain.
Not that a supercap fleet will ever get caught. Everyone's so conservative with those; i wonder why!

user1337

watched the stream for a bit.... didn't understand what was going on.. lol. this really requires a lot of dedication!

Vashetti

Banned
Expectation:

space_battle_scene_by_genesisa.jpg

Reality:

Dezmond

Banned
I wonder what the biggest real space battle in human history is.

It is probably, like, the mathematician on the ISS getting mildy annoyed with the other kind of mathematician on the ISS because he ate the last of the chocolate flavour dehydrated ice cream, or something.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So, they spent thousands of dollars on these fleets? Real monies?

Doubt it, but there seems to be a lot of stuff in EVE that has real world value. I think you're allowed to sell your character (legally) for cash. There's also the PLEX, which is game time that can be sold in game for ISK, the game's currency.
So is there a side that is more eviler than the other...?

One side is Reddit, the other side is Something Awful. Depends on what you think about those websites.

Flayer

So is there a side that is more eviler than the other...?
From what I gather CFC are goons and TEST are redditors. As a goon I'm supporting CFC, although all Eve chat was actually banned on Something Awful years ago because of all the stupid drama and meltdowns and terrible posting it caused. Pretty sure Goonswarm is simply a legacy name now.

Kainazzo

What's the prize for the winning side, do they beat the game?

After hearing about so many large EVE battles, I'm surprised a company doesn't forcibly own 100% of the game space. With enough communication, it seems something would have to emerge that permanently steamrolls everybody. Or would the devs step in if it ever got to that point?

Vexxan

I will most likely never try to get into EVE but hearing about all the shit that goes down in that game is just fascinating.

Tnetennba

This is blowing my mind even though (or maybe because) I have no idea what ANY of this means, which is pretty much always the case with anything EVE related.

Somebody in chat just said this could go on for 3-4 hours more. Is that accurate?

Vodh

The stories from EVE are absolutely amazing. Love that the game and the community is still alive and well, more stories!

Top Bottom