• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recooked overnight pizza safe to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackl

Did you know 500 years ago people used to eat potatoes and salted dried beef that had been sitting in barrels for months? Being in the middle of the Atlantic ocean kinda sucked.

I think you'll live.

lil smoke

Banned
weepy said:
wth? Eating overnight pizza doesn't kill you, doesn't make you sick, and isn't as bad as not washing your ass for a couple of days. Relax guy, really...
Just sayin' you can tell some things about a person by their habits.

weepy

lil smoke said:
Just sayin' you can tell some things about a person by their habits.

That's debatable. I know I'm a fairly clean person and have proper hygien but I wouldn't hesitate to eat leftover pizza ;)

This sounds like a common occurrence for some people in this thread. Why not just use a damn refrigerator after you're done eating so you don't take the chance of food poisoning

Haden

Banned
Think the what does it mean to be a man thread has now found the perfect question to solve that riddle :lol

Seriously though cold pizza for breakfast is awesome.

I certainly wouldn't eat it after 12 hours. I once got myself a serious food poisoning from eating left over food that wasnt in the fridge. Lesson learned.
Call me a pussy but when i can avoid to feel like i'm dieing i will do it.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Just overnight? damn, I'd understand if you had your doubts about a week, but overnight, if it doesn't have egg...

Threi

notag
scitek said:
There's half of the pie left and it sat in the oven overnight. Pepperoni and sausage ~12 hours old. If I turn the oven on again and lightly cook it, would it be safe to eat?

I do this constantly.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
wayward archer said:
OP, everybody in this thread is fucking with you. It's a well known fact that if you eat day old pizza you will die of Syphilis.
LIES.

you will die of tuberculosis.

I eat it all the time, but there is nothing like COLD PAPA JOHNS pizza in the morning. Specifically papa johns, put it in the fridge. Amazing.

NZNova

I don't understand. Why are you sitting here making threads when there's leftover pizza that hasn't been eaten?

agrajag

Banned
Steppenwolf said:
I certainly wouldn't eat it after 12 hours. I once got myself a serious food poisoning from eating left over food that wasnt in the fridge. Lesson learned.

This is pizza, not fucking egg salad.

bard

When I was a teenager, I ate leftover pizza that sat in a box under the seat of my car for five days. It was just cheese, but I lived. And with no ill side-effects, either!

ten5ive9ine

They've got me haunting a family in Texas.
2243471514_a05b8f88a8.jpg

Jackl said:
Did you know 500 years ago people used to eat potatoes and salted dried beef that had been sitting in barrels for months? Being in the middle of the Atlantic ocean kinda sucked.

I think you'll live.

Umm... you do know that SALTED DRIED beef is preserved, right?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Steppenwolf said:
It helps if you state what 'food' was left overnight in your fridge.

I need to know if a smiley is needed or not.

maharg

idspispopd
SnakeswithLasers said:
Umm... you do know that SALTED DRIED beef is preserved, right?

Which includes pepperoni, btw :p

Dried/cured meats are generally pretty safe. Honestly, pizza from a national chain pizzaria is gonna be pretty safe for a long time. Every component of it is preservative-laden or dried to begin with. Pizzas with a lot of veggies would be the only thing I'd worry about.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
In the "how do I unsaltify this food?" thread I told a guy to leave food sitting out for an hour next to a bowl of hot water so the water could absorb the salt, and somehow people got on me FOR TELLING HIM TO LEAVE THE FOOD OUT FOR AN HOUR. Really, THAT is what was wrong with my advice? My mind was blown.

maharg

idspispopd
I'm not sure what to make of the 'bowl of hot water' thing. Part of what makes a pizza left out to sit in an oven overnight safe imo is that it is dry and already cooked. Deliberately making food wet *does* increase the odds of it getting something bad in it, especially if it also makes it warm at the same time.

My cavalier attitude to food left out might also be because I live in a very very dry place.

Timedog said:
In the "how do I unsaltify this food?" thread I told a guy to leave food sitting out for an hour next to a bowl of hot water so the water could absorb the salt, and somehow people got on me FOR TELLING HIM TO LEAVE THE FOOD OUT FOR AN HOUR. Really, THAT is what was wrong with my advice? My mind was blown.

Haven't you ever put a book under your pillow when you forgot to study? It's the same principle.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pizza will not go bad that fast, unless you have non cured meats on there (steak strips, chicken, etc...). Even non cured meats should last 12 hours or more before beginning to spoil. The only questionable component is cheese, but I'm assuming it'll last for a day or so before going bad on you.

meppi

I once made sandwiches with butter that was more than 3 years past it's expiration date.

First day was fine, second day was okay, but the 3rd day it smelled very sour, so that's when I checked the expiration date and threw it away. :lol
Never got any side effects from eating it though.

Rimshot

Dude! There's nothing better than a pizza from the night before when you suddenly got the munchies after all the beer, ordered a pizza but couldn't fit it all in. So you put it in the refrigerator and wake up next morning with what is the best hangover breakfast EVER.

Jackl said:

I think you'll live.
Coincidentally, life expectancy in the 16th century was about 30 years.

Joe Shlabotnik said:

Yarrr! Ye scurvy landlubbers just haven't gotten yer sea legs! A real buccaneer eats whatever he wants!

maharg

idspispopd
Joe Shlabotnik said:

Considering the process of drying and curing meats hasn't really changed that much in all those years, I don't think it had anything at all to do with the meat people ate. Sailors had more issue with not getting fruit, too.

I've seen this talked about a fair amount now on GAF, and I'm truly amazed at how afraid people are to eat food that's been left out for a while. I've even heard in another topic people saying food that's been out for an hour (AN HOUR) should be thrown out. Jesus Christ. . .

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
sonarrat said:
I'll eat it, even cold, if it has been in the fridge. In the oven? I'm too attentive to leave it in the oven. I don't leave food out.

Cold pizza, and a large glass of Orange Juice...what a great meal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom