• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 |OT| New Digs

kizmah

Getting the artifact in the "Floor is lava" cave almost drives me crazy lol Finally got it, loving the game so far!

Yeah that one was seriously challening. And what a brilliant move to
place an artifact right after you think you’re done.
At first it feels like a slap in the face but then you realise that you have mastered the room and another goaround is a breeze. Brilliant game design!

Same problem. Not sure how to get the trollies to double stack over there...

It's a few steps. It's hard to explain in a none confusing way.

First, hit the starting trolley in the first room all the way to the right.

Now go to the other room with 2 trolleys. You have to move 1 of the trolleys from the other room all the way to the starting room. Use the one that's further away to fill the ditch in the further away room. You have to hit the trolley a few times so the closer one will require less hits, and thus not break.

The incoming trolley will glide over the starting trolley. Destroy the starting trolley. When it regenerates, hit it to the left. Hit the other trolley to the left. It will bump into the starting trolley and will now be under the spout where the original one comes out. Destroy the starting trolley and it should fall, stacking on the other trolley.

bosh

It's a few steps. It's hard to explain in a none confusing way.

First, hit the starting trolley in the first room all the way to the right.

Now go to the other room with 2 trolleys. You have to move 1 of the trolleys from the other room all the way to the starting room. Use the one that's further away to fill the ditch in the further away room. You have to hit the trolley a few times so the closer one will require less hits, and thus not break.

The incoming trolley will glide over the starting trolley. Destroy the starting trolley. When it regenerates, hit it to the left. Hit the other trolley to the left. It will bump into the starting trolley and will now be under the spout where the original one comes out. Destroy the starting trolley and it should fall, stacking on the other trolley.

If you have a grenade launcher just go to the first trolly and push it against the left wall. Stand on the trolly and shoot the grenade straight in the air. The blast shout take care of it.

Chris R

Cool, game runs well enough on my laptop with every setting turned as low as it can go.

Hoping the graphics settings are NOT include in the steam cloud sync...

If you have a grenade launcher just go to the first trolly and push it against the left wall. Stand on the trolly and shoot the grenade straight in the air. The blast shout take care of it.

Certainly, but you can do this room much earlier then when you get the grenade launcher.

Naar

Can someone explain the post game content? Is it unlocked by getting all the artifacts? The devs kept hyping the post game but no information was given in game as to how to unlock it.

But going by the posts here it seems to unlock if you get all the artifacts?

Fliesen

hmmmm, i'm missing ONE secret (an artifact i presume) in the archaea. i'm at 96% secrets in that zone, and i have already flown down the left and right wall in its entirety :/
( i do have
the perk that makes hidden walls sparkle
btw)

hmmmm, i'm missing ONE secret (an artifact i presume) in the archaea. i'm at 96% secrets in that zone, and i have already flown down the left and right wall in its entirety :/
( i do have
the perk that makes hidden walls sparkle
btw)

Make sure to check the Oasis if you haven't already. My last artifact was there, but I didn't think to look in that location for a looooong time. I was at 96% in the same area you're stuck in for a very long period, but it turns out I was just a cog piece.

Fliesen

Make sure to check the Oasis if you haven't already. My last artifact was there, but I didn't think to look in that location for a looooong time. I was at 96% in the same area you're stuck in for a very long period, but it turns out I was just a cog piece.

haha, yeah, just found it - turns out it was a cog that wasn't hidden in some alcove within the cave walls, but rather within a rock structure somewhere in the middle - thanks anyways.

This game is excellent. Like, really excellent. Pretty much every aspect of the game is well thought out and the level design is occasionally brilliant. It uses its mechanics exceptionally well.

Not to get greedy but I would really love for these guys to get a stab at a 2D Nintendo platformer. Wario comes to mind.

Quite surprised how much I'm enjoying this game.
no... let them be original.

This game proves it. No licenses needed.

Fliesen

just finished the story with 100% (all cogs, all artifacts) in a little bit over 10 hours. Fantastic game.
credits screen with time / completion - kind of a story spoiler said:
LBJ47eC.png

story-wise, i presume this is
a prequel to Steamworld Heist - essentially connecting the two games?

Also, i found the
challenge dungeon. did the first 2 rooms first try, but during the 'long jump' one i kinda hit a wall (literally)

That was a frustratingly good challenge.

Yeah, it gets easier with the
long hookshot
, and almost comically easy with the
jetpack

SomTervo

It's crazy how pretty much the entirety of SW Dig 1 is in this sequel, and then when you reach the "finish point" it just keeps on going and the scale and scope just explodes.

This game is crazy.

Fliesen

It's crazy how pretty much the entirety of SW Dig 1 is in this sequel, and then when you reach the "finish point" it just keeps on going and the scale and scope just explodes.

This game is crazy.

I don't get what you mean. care to elaborate?
Are you saying that up until the moment when you reach the
first 'earthquake' device thingy
, that'd be more or less the scope of SW Dig 1?

SomTervo

I don't get what you mean. care to elaborate?
Are you saying that up until the moment when you reach the
first 'earthquake' device thingy
, that'd be more or less the scope of SW Dig 1?

Yeah pretty much. In Dig 1 you go straight down about 4-5 shortcuts and then the game ends. It's pretty damn small.

2 does the same thing then just goes and goes.

(There is a chance I'm misremembering it but i don't think i am.)

Zero_IYAD

Question: How to 100% the game?
I completed my map & collected all 42 Artifacts, but I couldn't finish the Trials Area thanks to the Rocket Trial eating all my hearts, & now I'm at 98% Secrets : (
Do I have finish the Trails to get a 100% on the Secrets after the credits? or am I missing a gear somewhere?
Also, when do they give you the 43th Artifact? After beating the Trials?

Edit: Never mind, got 100% finally.

TheExodu5

Banned
I really need to commend the devs on this one. Switch version.

Perfectly smooth 60fps, no frame pacing issues, no input lag whatsoever, sublime controls, and a beautiful game overall. Can't comment too much on the game so far since I'm only an hour or two in (and having a blast), but on a technical level, this game is absolutely flawless.

Chris R

So kinda midgame spoilers I guess...

did anyone else do the temple to the southwest of town before even going east??? It was fun trying to get around with just my grapple rope when I guess you get some kind of jet pack or really long vertical grapple eventually.

Fireblend

Banned
Pretty sure I was able to sequence break the game just now. Got to the east temple for the first time (right after getting the hookshot) and was able to enter a room at the top of the temple (where you grab the
"inflatable friend"
artifact) that I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to get to just yet lol.

It said something like
Chamber of the Destroyer
so I exited and continues with the normal path lol.

How far am I into the game? I don't want it to end T_T it's sooooo good.

Yousefb

Just "finished" the game at 5 hours 36 min, but I only have 30% of secrets completed. I will undoubtedly be coming back to again and again. Man, what a fantastic game from start to finish. I could not put the Switch down! The gameplay loop was absolutely addicting. The art style is perfection and the performance on the Switch (played mainly handheld, but also some docked) is fantastic. Extremely vibrant game and pleasant to look at it. Also, that soundtrack? Wow, fantastic! I'm going to be listening to that on the regular. Well done devs! I purchased the first one on 3DS but found myself bored with the repetitiveness. I'm shocked at how much I loved this one. But then again, with this much creativity and polish how can you not?

Regarding the ending
does this hint at a third Dig game or is it leading into Heist? I never played Heist. Either way, I can't wait to see what they have next!

Joqu

Man this game is my jam, I can't put it down. Loved the first one on 3DS too, so I guess that's not all that surprising. Really the perfect kind of gameplay loop for portable digging sessions.

I know it's completely different, but I feel bad I never checked out Heist now. I'm going to wait a bit to see if it's getting a Switch release though, seems like the devs have mentioned it's a possibility.

JonnyKong

I can't see myself being bothered to try 100% the game if I'm honest, but I've enjoyed myself very much. I think I'm getting near the end, I'm about to
confront Rosie
, but I'll save that for tomorrow.

Tuck

Question about this game:

One of the things I loved about the original is that you sort of make your own level as you dig. And of course there are major points you dig to, but everything in between is sort of your own creation (within limitations). For what I've seen from this game, it looks a lot more guided - you basically just dig to open up a very guided level that they built. For those who have played, can you comment on this? How does the exploration feel?

Chris R

Pretty sure I was able to sequence break the game just now. Got to the east temple for the first time (right after getting the hookshot) and was able to enter a room at the top of the temple (where you grab the
"inflatable friend"
artifact) that I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to get to just yet lol.

It said something like
Chamber of the Destroyer
so I exited and continues with the normal path lol.

How far am I into the game? I don't want it to end T_T it's sooooo good.

You are the same spot as me, and I did the same sequence break. There is another break you can do if you want
Back in the blue area where you bypassed the first barrier and maybe even grabbed the jackhammer there are some walls you can grapple...

jariw

Question about this game:

One of the things I loved about the original is that you sort of make your own level as you dig. And of course there are major points you dig to, but everything in between is sort of your own creation (within limitations). For what I've seen from this game, it looks a lot more guided - you basically just dig to open up a very guided level that they built. For those who have played, can you comment on this? How does the exploration feel?

You're correct, sometimes it's more restricted than Dig 1 (and instead becomes more like a platforming game), since the world in Dig 2 is designed instead of randomly generated as it was in Dig 1. However, there are quite a few places where it widens up and becomes very much like Dig 1 as well. The gameplay is just much more varied in Dig 2.

Regarding the ending
does this hint at a third Dig game or is it leading into Heist? I never played Heist. Either way, I can't wait to see what they have next!

My guess is that Heist is later in the timeline.

Protome

Has there been any talk about a sequel to Heist? I'm loving this and it improves on every aspect of the first game which I found even slightly weak, so seeing them do the same to Heist (which I personally thought was a better game than Dig in the first place) would be the best.

Put a couple of hours into this game and loving it so far. Never played Dig 1 or anything like that, but I'm really liking the exploration hook here. Like you can only get so far, possibly tantalizingly close to something interesting, then you have to head back. It only makes you really want to go back down immediately.

Really happy about the customizable controls. B for jump and A for attack always seems awkward to me, so I switched it to: A for jump, B for pickaxe, ZL for dash. Much more familiar to me, makes me feel like I'm playing Mega Man Zero.

The game is beautiful too. I love to see a purely 2D game that isn't pixel art -- that's surprisingly rare.

Fireblend

Banned
This game's has to be one of the most fun to use hookshots in gaming, right? I realized I can negate fall damage by timing it right and shooting the ground at the last second so now I'm falling off high places just to see how much of the map I can uncover without dying lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
In "The Floor is Lava" chamber in
the temple, am I missing something I need to finish it? I've got the jackhammer and the hookshot and I have no idea how I'm going to break a few of these blocks I need to progress

EDIT: Duh, nvm

vareon

This game's has to be one of the most fun to use hookshots in gaming, right? I realized I can negate fall damage by timing it right and shooting the ground at the last second so now I'm falling off high places just to see how much of the map I can uncover without dying lol

Movement is this game is just so satisfying. Every jump felt so precise and the hookshot snap feels great.

Just started this on Switch, and it made my pro controller wig the fuck out. I was playing Cave Story for about an hour before and decided to switch over to this. It was going fine for the first minute, then when I fell down the hole my controller suddenly had a massive amount of inpit lag and then would get stuck going one direction. It was doing it in the Switch menu and everything. And putting it to sleep didn't help. I had to close the game, then put it to sleep for it to go back to normal.

Going back in now. Hope that doesn't happen again.

Just started this 2h in or so. Great friggin' game right there. I prefered Heist over Dig1 but this seems to be even better than Heist.

watershed

Banned
I just finished the game earlier today. The upgrade system is really well designed. I appreciate any upgrade system that let's you re-spec freely. I was able to neutralize the most annoying parts of the game with different perks. The end is really nice and I was surprised by the few times in the game where the tone shifts dramatically and the small narrative moments. Image & Form remain a top notch indie developer.

Chris R

So (Late game navigation spoiler question)
How do I find the alternative entrance to the Oasis?

There is a
Sewer Tunnel
that you can access and get in that way.

And I have a kinda endish game question of my own... I got the trophy for "sequence breaking" by
destroying four things before going in the machine...
It wasn't that hard but only has a 0.4% achievement rate??? Also, the game is pointing me towards other things, do I even
Need to go into the machine??? Is there an upgrade in there?

Nabs

There is a
Sewer Tunnel
that you can access and get in that way.

And I have a kinda endish game question of my own... I got the trophy for "sequence breaking" by
destroying four things before going in the machine...
It wasn't that hard but only has a 0.4% achievement rate??? Also, the game is pointing me towards other things, do I even
Need to go into the machine??? Is there an upgrade in there?

I think I got the
jet pack
once I finished it. I'm not sure.

oatmeal

Banned
Just did that...area without the map.

Very interesting.

This game feels more like Super Metroid than any game I’ve ever played before.

Mudd

Just beat the game with 73% completion. Loved every second of it.

Now I'd like to get all the artifacts and see what happens when you reach the 100%... (ending spoiler)
Asking just to be completely sure:
after that I get everything I have to beat Rosie again, right?

Fliesen

Just beat the game with 73% completion. Loved every second of it.

Now I'd like to get all the artifacts and see what happens when you reach the 100%... (ending spoiler)
Asking just to be completely sure:
after that I get everything I have to beat Rosie again, right?

After you complete the story, the next time you boot up your save you're back at
"confront Rosie"
, at which point you can clean up all the collectibles.

I don't think getting all collectibles changes the game beyond
giving you access to the trial dungeons

speaking of which:
is that's what the line in the OP is referring to?
How long is the game?
"I'd say it's no shorter than 8-12 hours for a normal player." - Imageform dev here on GAF. Obviously, for those who wish to completely mine this game's contents, it will take much longer. Spoilers:
There are a set of rewards for completionists that add "many many hours" onto the game

Because, right now, having completed the game 100%, i don't see any further rewards or content that opened up beyond what was previously mentioned.

Mudd

After you complete the story, the next time you boot up your save you're back at
"confront Rosie"
, at which point you can clean up all the collectibles.

I don't think getting all collectibles changes the game beyond
giving you access to the trial dungeons

speaking of which:
is that's what the line in the OP is referring to?

Because, right now, having completed the game 100%, i don't see any further rewards or content that opened up beyond what was previously mentioned.
Thank you.

Uh, I read that part of the OP indeed so I was expecting something quite big. I'll get the 100% anw because I just... need... more of this game x_x

zroid

Banned
I keep seeing people mention the Floor is Lava as being tough, but I basically cruised through it! :lol (and the second time to get the artifact as well)

I'm not even typically that skilled at games so it's kinda rare. Guess I'm just particularly attuned to hook shot heroics. :D

Top Bottom