• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot has sold over 2.5 million copies worldwide!

Neith

Banned
Spyro is next, and Vicarious should handle it.

Because it is more open world 3D, it is going to take longer to remaster I bet. All that open space. Gotta perfect the camera and all the detail you can see. IDK maybe not.

It feels like Spyro is gonna need a lot of work though.

"Crash was never that big" is alongside the infamous "Final Fantasy isn't relevant anymore" pearls that we get from time to time here on Gaf. Crazy numbers, fantastic collection, gg Activision.

TheOGB

Banned
Thanks. So someone made the model and animation? It's not some bug from the games?
Nope, that animator made it based on a drawing by Newgrounds "alum" and YouTube LPer OneyNG (Chris O'Neill), who used it in the thumbnails for his Crash 2 playthrough.
0OgCRvN.jpg

He had a habit of saying "woah" a lot when he jumped
, and that became its own little in-joke. That in-joke led to this tweet around the release of N. Sane Trilogy. That drawing + the audio from the tweet = the inspiration for the animation by Chris Patstone, formerly known as Joe J. Kuhr. He's been messing around with the original models from Crash 1-3 since, and just recently confirmed that Jason Rubin animated the Crash dance or something

And that, ladies and gentleGAF, is your lesson in Meme History.

Now about this CTR remake, y'all gonna pull some strings and get Sumo Digital involved, right Sony?

Gloggins

Can reach 4 mil I think.

I'd love for this to lead to a real Crash Bandicoot 4; developed by who and how soon can we get it are the important questions.

PS4 owners don't buy platform games. They buy Crash Bandicoot. Like 3DS owners didn't buy fighting games. They bought Super Smash Bros.

lol this is bullshit on all counts

What 3DS fighting games even tried? Because I'm pretty sure Street Fighter 4 sold a fuckton on 3DS as well. Same goes for PS4 and platformers. Go browse the store for platformers, there's really not too many quality games.

fortunato

Banned
lol this is bullshit on all counts

What 3DS fighting games even tried? Because I'm pretty sure Street Fighter 4 sold a fuckton on 3DS as well. Same goes for PS4 and platformers. Go browse the store for platformers, there's really not too many quality games.

Dead or Alive Dimensions and Tekken 3D were high-quality games. Anyway, it's a feedback effect: few quality games because the userbase is not particularly close to the genre. I'm sure Crash success will lead to more platformers on PS4.

R&C PS4 fastest selling game in franchise history

Man those PS4 owners sure don't buy platformers.

R&C is a very atypical platformer; it's more of a third-person shooter at this point (I love the franchise); the fact that it has anthropomorphic characters doesn't mean it's a pure platformer. Anyway, it's another traditional Sony franchise so it doesn't really establish a rule. Also, fastest-selling can mean nothing if it doesn't have legs or if previous entries were slow-burners.

There's nothing derogatory in saying that PS4 userbase is less inclined in buying some types of games.

Nope, that animator made it based on a drawing by Newgrounds "alum" and YouTube LPer OneyNG (Chris O'Neill), who used it in the thumbnails for his Crash 2 playthrough.

He had a habit of saying "woah" a lot when he jumped
, and that became its own little in-joke. That in-joke led to this tweet around the release of N. Sane Trilogy. That drawing + the audio from the tweet = the inspiration for the animation by Chris Patstone, formerly known as Joe J. Kuhr. He's been messing around with the original models from Crash 1-3 since, and just recently confirmed that Jason Rubin animated the Crash dance or something

And that, ladies and gentleGAF, is your lesson in Meme History.

Now about this CTR remake, y'all gonna pull some strings and get Sumo Digital involved, right Sony?

thank you for the explanation

fortunato

Banned
It just goes to show that it's been a huge mistake that Crash has been gone for this long. Congrats!

I think the fact that Crash basically disappeared for almost a decade played in favor of this collection, helping in building the hype and racking on nostalgia.

Gartooth

Fuck yeaaah!!! I hope this leads to a lot more platformers coming to PS4 both from Activision and other developers too. Its a shame its taken this long, but the industry narrative that 90s platformers wouldn't sell in today's market looks like bullshit more and more often.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Remake Croc, the real star of the PS1 era. Crash is a pretender.

God knows where the rights went. Argonaut owned the games and IP back in the day, but the company entered administration in 2004, was liquidated in 2005 and dissolved in 2006. Croc either was sold to an unknown party or technically belongs to David Rubin & Partners.

N21

God knows where the rights went. Argonaut owned the games and IP back in the day, but the company entered administration in 2004, was liquidated in 2005 and dissolved in 2006.

I imagine a member of the past development team has it. Maybe the old gaf investigation team can get back together?

fortunato

Banned

?

Crash was one of the top sellers on PS1, and sold relatively well on PS2. The original Crash Bandicoot went to sell almost 7m units in late Ninenties, which is comparable to a 15m seller in the current landscape. It is one of the most beloved gaming characters. It has a huge legacy. The fact that disappeared for so long helped the company to advertise the collection under a simple selling point: "Crash is back!" (they couldn't have done that if a new Crash had been released a few months before). As no relevant Crash games have been released after 2008, the IP was not poisoned by the memory of more recent bad games. The back-to-the-roots approach works wonderfully when an IP disappears for a while, otherwise it looks like another business decision to exploit the brand.

Top Bottom