• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

patchday

Sideboards would be tricky to get right. I actually think it would cause a more narrow meta though, since you can adjust the best deck to be even better against everything. It might be interesting though.

I think sideboards are more important when you're playing the same person multiple times and since ladder doesn't have this, it's not important to have sideboards. Since your opponent is always random, your sideboard is changing your deck between opponents. It would be too good if you can see your opponents class and adjust your deck. If you can't see your opponent's class then you're already playing ladder as it is.

I'm not saying it can't be done well, I just can't see how myself and I don't think the upside would be all that great outside of a tournament setting where you play the same person several rounds.

good analysis that I did not consider

wiibomb

I heard firebat's arguments about ladder on the omni podcast, I have to say I don't see why there is that much of a problem with a rock-paper-scissors mentality, I have come to the conclusion that all decks can win against all other decks are just an utopia, reaching that point is just way too difficult and with any expansion release the balance would be thrown off the window.

Having the rock paper scizzors mentality at least grants that a deck has good and bad matchups, never overpowered or never underpowered, I mean, purify priest is a thing that can win nicely now vs some matchups while others it loses considerably

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
"Man, screw Quest Rogue decks"

*gets The Caverns Below out of a pack*

"Hm, maybe I should give it a try."

*makes budget deck, wins five times in row*

"Hey this isn't so bad."

*loses three times in a row*

"Man, screw Quest Rogue decks"

Tagyhag

Is this the most unbalanced tavern brawl ever?

I recall that in the previous rafaam vs kelthuzad, at least you had a better chance winning with rafaam

You mean Kelthuzad? Rafaam is the broken one. Only way you lose is if you play incredibly bad or get absolutely horrible hero power RNG.

Sande

Having the rock paper scizzors mentality at least grants that a deck has good and bad matchups, never overpowered or never underpowered, I mean, purify priest is a thing that can win nicely now vs some matchups while others it loses considerably
That's not RPS though. Rock doesn't have a favoured match-up against scissors, rock crushes scissors. I'm seeing more and more of that in HS.

I agree with you that having good and bad match-ups is fine. Not all decks can or even should be 50-50 against each other. It's when that starts to skew towards 90-10 or even 100-0 when it becomes a problem.

That's not RPS though. Rock doesn't have a favoured match-up against scissors, rock crushes scissors. I'm seeing more and more of that in HS.

I agree with you that having good and bad match-ups is fine. Not all decks can or even should be 50-50 against each other. It's when that starts to skew towards 90-10 or even 100-0 when it becomes a problem.

RPS is simply the concept that decks have favorable and unfavorable match ups. It's not literally drawing a parallel to rock paper scissors.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

There isn't anything that comes close to a 90-10 matchup right now though. Worst is like 75/25.

side board, just need two for each deck, one for aggro and one for control. i'd like more but that seems reasonable that they could do. would be a huge help to be able to tech anti weapon and stuff without running a trash deck against other classes.

Bunga

Think I obviously managed to get lucky with the Brawl this week, I got Kel'Thuzad on my first attempt and managed to get Thaddius out on board followed by that minion that gives +1 +1 every time an enemy minion dies and he just steamrolled my way to victory.

In other news, I've just dusted all of my golden cards where I had x2 normal copies. Not really fussed by the flashyness, would rather move my way to filling in more empty spots in decks I want to complete. So I'm now back up to ~6000 dust. Think I'm gonna put it towards Midrange/Murloc Pally where I currently need:

x1 Sunkeeper Tarim
x2 Gentle Megasaur
x2 Vilefin Inquisitor
x1 Murloc Warleader
x1 Murloc Tidecaller

I also have the Shammy Murloc quest that I packed so doesn't hurt picking up decent murlocs like Tidecaller/Warleader and the Megasaurs.

I also want to finish off Karazhan finally and get Medivh, craft Alexstrasza and x2 Cabalist Tome for Secret Mage.

I'm thinking of crafting something to improve my quest rogue but not sure what. Which is better for the deck, preparation or swashburgler? I'm guessing for swash, I'd need two really to make it a bounce target.

Bunga

Guys, can anyone recommend a decent deck for the final boss of Karazhan on Normal difficulty (i.e. not Heroic)?

I have absolutely no wild cards (dusted them all) and limited legendaries.

Swash is getting cut from Quest Rogue as of recent.

2 reasons, he generates random cards and he pulls patches when you don't want to pull him.

Boy I wish I could share this replay against quest priest just now. Won with Quest rogue after 2 NZoths (had to vanish the first Nzoth board) and Amara thanks to freezing his whole board multiple times and drawing my only out a 2nd vanish when I needed it.

sibarraz

Banned
You mean Kelthuzad? Rafaam is the broken one. Only way you lose is if you play incredibly bad or get absolutely horrible hero power RNG.

No, I was talking the previous brawl where kelthuzad and rafaam faced off. kelthuzad was the broken one there, in this brawl they buffed rafaam while nerfing kelthuzad

Ok so I'm still struggling to make rank 15.I've been playing about 4 games a day with quest rogue and I'm currently at rank 18. I've been to rank 15 boss twice and slipped all the way back.

I need help.

Here is the list I'm running :

Backstab
Shadowstep x 2
Firefly
Hallucination x 2
Southsea x 2
Stonetusk x2
The canteens below
Betryal
Gadgetzan x 2
Loot hoarder
Novice x 2
Sap
Youthful brew master x 2
Fan of knives
Ignious
Mimic pod
Si7 agent
Assassinate
Thistle tea
Vanish x 2

Any changes suggested?

sh1fty

Ok so I'm still struggling to make rank 15.I've been playing about 4 games a day with quest rogue and I'm currently at rank 18. I've been to rank 15 boss twice and slipped all the way back.

I need help.

Any changes suggested?

I'm missing Patches, but the list I was running included:

2x Preparation
2x Shadowstep
2x Firefly
2x Glacial Shard
2x Southsea Deckhand
2x Stonetusk Boar
2x Swashburgler
1x The Caverns Below
2x Bilefin Tidehunter
2x Gadgetzan Ferryman
2x Novice Engineer
2x Youthful Brewmaster
2x Fan of Knives
2x Igneous Elemental
2x Mimic Pod
1x Vanish

You generally want to use low cost minions that will be easy to bounce back to your hand. Firefly and Igneous Elemental are your best bet to complete quest since they give you the 1 mana elementals.

Having removal spells other than Vanish or Fan of Knives is interesting, but I find I just want to race to getting my 5/5's on board. Wasting mana and time with things like Hallucination, Backstab, Assassinate, etc. probably will hurt more than help.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Pulled Deathwing. Happy with that since it's something I've been back and forth on with crafting. Not sure if I'd put it anything right now

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
what...?

EDIT: I just saw the news... what a bizarre move, are they trying to push the battle.net app as a stem competitor?

The PC audience for ActiBlizz is the Blizzard audience. They probably want Destiny 2 in the launcher to grow the Destiny brand on PC. Get the Blizzard fanboys to play it. I imagine that Blizzard still has a strong voice within the company and they won't try and push annual franchises like CoD onto the launcher.

Xanathus

Get ready to click on Destiny 2 next to Hearthstone in your Blizzard Launcher! LOL!

Huh, I totally did not make the connection that Destiny is owned by Activision and Activision owns Blizzard so therefore Blizzard's launcher would launch Destiny on PC. :thinking:

edit: wait does this mean Destiny 2 won't be sold on Steam?

wiibomb

free card on may 20, no details whatsoever, just a free fight promoter as a log-in bonus. As weird as it can get.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/20720852/get-a-free-card-on-may-20-5-18-2017

The PC audience for ActiBlizz is the Blizzard audience. They probably want Destiny 2 in the launcher to grow the Destiny brand on PC. Get the Blizzard fanboys to play it. I imagine that Blizzard still has a strong voice within the company and they won't try and push annual franchises like CoD onto the launcher.

I don't even think Destiny is an annual franchise now, more like a game with multiple DLC drops each year to keep it fresh, that aligns perfectly with Blizzards mind.

its bizarre that they are trying to make a push for the blizzard app as a steam competitor, though.

I'm missing Patches, but the list I was running included:

2x Preparation
2x Shadowstep
2x Firefly
2x Glacial Shard
2x Southsea Deckhand
2x Stonetusk Boar
2x Swashburgler
1x The Caverns Below
2x Bilefin Tidehunter
2x Gadgetzan Ferryman
2x Novice Engineer
2x Youthful Brewmaster
2x Fan of Knives
2x Igneous Elemental
2x Mimic Pod
1x Vanish

You generally want to use low cost minions that will be easy to bounce back to your hand. Firefly and Igneous Elemental are your best bet to complete quest since they give you the 1 mana elementals.

Having removal spells other than Vanish or Fan of Knives is interesting, but I find I just want to race to getting my 5/5's on board. Wasting mana and time with things like Hallucination, Backstab, Assassinate, etc. probably will hurt more than help.

Great, thanks! I'll try cutting a lot of the removal and adding in what I can from your list. I thought the removal might help me to prevent the board from getting out of control too much but I guess that's not working.

I often have the situation where I complete the quest on turn 4 but on 5 I have no board and wonder whether I should play the quest as it's effectively passing a turn. If I play it turn 5 then by 6 I'm really behind on the board and can't get anything to stick. What's best in this scenario? I've tried waiting a while to play the quest and that's not good either due to lack of removal and weak minions.

sh1fty

Great, thanks! I'll try cutting a lot of the removal and adding in what I can from your list. I thought the removal might help me to prevent the board from getting out of control too much but I guess that's not working.

I often have the situation where I complete the quest on turn 4 but on 5 I have no board and wonder whether I should play the quest as it's effectively passing a turn. If I play it turn 5 then by 6 I'm really behind on the board and can't get anything to stick. What's best in this scenario? I've tried waiting a while to play the quest and that's not good either due to lack of removal and weak minions.

If you're facing a deck that's getting a significant board presence early (pirate warrior, aggro druid, etc.) you're probably in trouble regardless. You're best bet is to somewhat ignore their board and rush to get your quest done (this is why it's incredibly frustrating to play against Quest Rogue, because they are not interacting with you until they have a board full of 5/5s and pounding your face). Ideally by turn 5 you'll have a preparation to use with the quest and be able to drop a few 5/5s. After that it just snowballs for you.

If you're facing a deck that's getting a significant board presence early (pirate warrior, aggro druid, etc.) you're probably in trouble regardless. You're best bet is to somewhat ignore their board and rush to get your quest done (this is why it's incredibly frustrating to play against Quest Rogue, because they are not interacting with you until they have a board full of 5/5s and pounding your face). Ideally by turn 5 you'll have a preparation to use with the quest and be able to drop a few 5/5s. After that it just snowballs for you.

OK thanks I'll bear that in mind. The problem is I don't have preparation and so the quest always costs me 5 and uses up a whole turn.

Fixed1979

sh1fty

OK thanks I'll bear that in mind. The problem is I don't have preparation and so the quest always costs me 5 and uses up a whole turn.

It's a tough 800 dust to spend to craft 2x Preps... that's like half a legendary :(

Hopefully if you add another Firefly and Igneous Elemental you'll have better luck getting the quest off right on Turn 5. Even if you don't play anything else, against most control matchups (or aggro who have drawn poorly), you'll be in a good position if you can drop a bunch of minions on Turn 6.

wiibomb

prep is a card that must be crafted by anyone who wants to invest into rogue, it is just a must have card in almost all decks run by that class

I would totally suggest focusing on crafting those 2

Fewr

Blizzard sure is acting generously weird this month.

Given that one of the most common complaints about the game is that with the new release calendar it got more expensive, do you think this along with the news yesterday about completing quests with friends, is their subtle response / attempt at compensating?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Given that one of the most common complaints about the game is that with the new release calendar it got more expensive, do you think this along with the news yesterday about completing quests with friends, is their subtle response / attempt at compensating?

This card giveaway has been known about for months from data mining.

wiibomb

this was included in the update of ungoro around april 6, it was discovered in a data mining, no it doesn't have to do with it unless they already had the thought of how expensive ungoro is (which to be honest they should have been very aware)

Top Bottom