• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ParentGaf OT: Birth, Bib and Beyond

JoeNut

We did have some "professional" (read - expensive) photo's' taken but we didnt take any props, a ps4 controller was surely a must!!

Dalek

My daughter is 8 1/2 and she's been complaining about leg pains nearly every night in the past week. She's fine all day-but then at night her legs are sore and achey. From what I've read I think it's growing pains and nothing to be concerned about but it is really bothering her.

She woke up this morning and didn't want to go to school because she said it still bothered her. I have made a doctor's appointment for later this afternoon but just curious if anyone else has had experience with this.

My daughter is 8 1/2 and she's been complaining about leg pains nearly every night in the past week. She's fine all day-but then at night her legs are sore and achey. From what I've read I think it's growing pains and nothing to be concerned about but it is really bothering her.

She woke up this morning and didn't want to go to school because she said it still bothered her. I have made a doctor's appointment for later this afternoon but just curious if anyone else has had experience with this.

Several episodes of this for the girls every few years or so, although never to the point when school was missed, but that could be fear/temperament particular to each child.

Downhome

My wife is now 17 weeks. We went this past Saturday to a place for the HD ultrasound for them to write down the gender and put it in an envelope (wife wants do do a gender reveal party on the 18th) but the little one wouldn't cooperate. The tech said she is 100% sure but wants to be 120% so we are going back Saturday to make sure.

As this pregnancy goes forward it just starts to feel more and more real and I am constantly amazed that this is really happening! Here are some of the shots we got.

EYRlIAY.jpg

k0ZWwP9.jpg

6MhjUS1.jpg

Birbo

My wife is now 17 weeks. We went this past Saturday to a place for the HD ultrasound for them to write down the gender and put it in an envelope (wife wants do do a gender reveal party on the 18th) but the little one wouldn't cooperate. The tech said she is 100% sure but wants to be 120% so we are going back Saturday to make sure.

As this pregnancy goes forward it just starts to feel more and more real and I am constantly amazed that this is really happening! Here are some of the shots we got.

EYRlIAY.jpg

k0ZWwP9.jpg

6MhjUS1.jpg

Congrats! Those HD ultrasounds are so awesome and creepy at the same time. Always makes me feel like I'm peering into a world I'm not supposed to.

Speaking of that...I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm a big advocate of waiting until your baby is born to find out the gender. Finding out before hand is the ultimate peeking at your Christmas gifts early. The older we get, the fewer cool surprises we seem to get, so why spoil the best of the bunch?

theaface

Congrats! Very exciting times ahead for you! How comes you want to find out the gender? Not judging or critical in the least, I'm just curious to know why some people opt to know vs not.

I just fed Sully for the first time (bottle, expressed milk) and I have to say it was quite emotional! I think it's the mix of really being able to 'provide' for him for the first time plus knowing I'll be able to gradually ease the burden on my wife where feeding in the night is concerned. He wasn't sure about the bottle at first, but after a few minutes took to it like a champ. Proud daddy this evening!

mrkgoo

We did have some "professional" (read - expensive) photo's' taken but we didnt take any props, a ps4 controller was surely a must!!

Proper professional photos are one of things you kind of just have to fork out for. do it within reason, for example, don't get them every month, but I recommend do have them taken at least once or twice during their infancy.

They cost a lot, but you don't get that chance again.

JoeNut

Proper professional photos are one of things you kind of just have to fork out for. do it within reason, for example, don't get them every month, but I recommend do have them taken at least once or twice during their infancy.

Yeah, my other half has just been to pick them up today and spent about £200, but part of that is the USB with all the photos from the shoot on it, so we can get cheap prints from Boots or whatever, which is good.

Looking forward to seeing them, i'll post one in here if there's any nice ones haha.

Also - we've been struggling with Leo having colic for the last few days, surviving on barely any sleep, however yesterday we went all out, new type of bottle, anti colic milk powder, Infacol before he eats and then gripe water after, and last night he went 5 hours, then fed and back to sleep for another 3 hours - so happy to actually sleep again hah

Cilla

I have ten weeks to go! I have so much still to do but I'm very excited to meet the little one. My baby shower is this Sunday!

Are there any parents on GAF who are also early school age teachers? I have a few questions I am having trouble finding answers to. If anyone can help, please PM me.

I teach 2-3 year olds. Not sure if that's what you're after though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My daughter keeps leaving her key in the damn door when she gets home from school. Can't not let her have a key as we both work.

Are there any good solutions that warn when you walk too far from your keys? A smart lock seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but we need to do something

mrklaw

MrArseFace

We only do school photos. I much prefer the more natural candid photos when kids aren't posing. Early on when they're sleeping could be a good opportunity to practise with a camera and take your own too.

mrkgoo

We only do school photos. I much prefer the more natural candid photos when kids aren't posing. Early on when they're sleeping could be a good opportunity to practise with a camera and take your own too.

So do I, but I'm not the only person involved so....

That said the professional shoots we did, we chose mostly the more candid ones anyway.

Not so much the poses, it was more about really good studio lighting, and most importantly being able to get good photos of the entire family, or siblings etc. most of the time infants and babies don't really "pose" as such.

I don't know about you, but I'm the primary photographer in my family, which inevitably means all the "better" photos, I'm never in...

Not to mention mu kids tend to turn away from the camera when I take photos lol.

Ah man, just thinking about it reminds me of the good Ol' photo-gaf days - taking thousands of images, learning all about composition, lighting, aperture, processing... now it's all kids and portraiture.

Mrklaw, I bet you have some AMAZING kid photos! It somehow feels like all that practice paid off in some ways.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have started to notice how I'm not in most of the kids photos. and I've dropped off how often I take photos these days as they get older - should try to get a proper family portrait soon before my son goes off to university in a couple of years

mrkgoo

I have started to notice how I'm not in most of the kids photos. and I've dropped off how often I take photos these days as they get older - should try to get a proper family portrait soon before my son goes off to university in a couple of years

Yeah The drop off happens.

Family portraits is what I was mostly meaning. Sort of just gotta get those done at some point.

Wow university - I can only imagine. Boy, time flies.

Grug

My daughter keeps leaving her key in the damn door when she gets home from school. Can't not let her have a key as we both work.

Are there any good solutions that warn when you walk too far from your keys? A smart lock seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but we need to do something

Maybe chain the key to the inside of her schoolbag /backpack?

malfcn

Sunday was the first ultrasound and today started blood tests. They took 5 vials from the wife. Only week 7 of this journey for our little potato.

Hey guys,

My first kid is arriving on the scene in the next few weeks and I have a question about UK (Northern Ireland in particular) shared parental leave if anyone could help.

The day I found out we were pregnant was also the day I got the job offer for the place I'm currently with. Since I changed jobs during the pregnancy I don't qualify for paternity leave due to the following eligibility requirement;

Have been employed continuously for at least 26 weeks by the end of the 15th week before the due date (or by the date you are matched with your adopted child)

I thought that shared parental leave had the same requirements but reading the information on this government webpage now I'm not so sure. There is a separate section for partners eligibility that I would just about meet, as I'll have been with the new company 30 weeks by the due date;

Your partner's eligibility

During the 66 weeks before the baby is due your partner must have:
•been working for at least 26 weeks (they don't need to be in a row)
•earned at least £30 a week on average in 13 of the 66 weeks

I've already dropped an e-mail to HR asking them to clear thing up but I'm just not sure if I'm seeing what I want to see here.

mrkgoo

I like it. I was looking at Bluetooth tags, smart locks... just tether the damn thing :)

I was thinking one of those small retractable cords on a small dial deals. You know the ones people have swipe cards attached to their belt that you can whip out and extend but retract back.

So we went in for the initial ultrasound today, and I think I freaked the fuck out as soon as I heard its heartbeat. In fact, I'm still in shock. I don't think it hit me that I was having a child until at that point. I don't know why I'm freaking out, but I'm sure it will pass with time. Due date is October 10th.

JoeNut

So we went in for the initial ultrasound today, and I think I freaked the fuck out as soon as I heard its heartbeat. In fact, I'm still in shock. I don't think it hit me that I was having a child until at that point. I don't know why I'm freaking out, but I'm sure it will pass with time. Due date is October 10th.

I was the same, it's not real until you hear that fast heartbeat and then it hits you.

This year will fly by for you now, enjoy it!

Also real: when you use one of those heartbeat recording phone apps and don't hear a heartbeat right away. That was probably one of the most terrifying experiences of my life.

Smokey

It's a powerful moment for sure.

I actually didn't start getting nervous until we were in the hospital and all the shots and "prework" stuff started happening.

We went keypad entry on our back door, very easy to install and change the code if need be. And great for housekeepers to use as well. Waiting for a fancy techie out lock for the front door http://www.yalehome.com/en/yale/yalehome/residential/yale-linus/yale-linus/ delayed for quite a while now unfortunately.

Henry had his ultrasound today and they found no cyst! The radiologist says that either there never was one or it disappeared, she leans toward the former since kidney cysts rarely disappear. She said there was some fluid, probably urine, in his collection system and that's probably normal since he had just fed, but they want to do a follow up in a few months. Relieved, now if his second testicle will descend on it's own we'll be good.
Hooray Henry :)

My wife and I just had our first this past Monday. Little Owen was one week early and came out 6 lbs 13.5 oz. Fortunately the labor and delivery process was not too bad for mom or baby. Nearly 72 hours later we're home and slowly finding our rhythm. What an amazing feeling it is though. I can't even describe the joy I feel looking at him and holding him, even now when I've been up comforting him in the middle of the night.

I'm sure I'll pop in occasionally as he starts getting more complex. It's encouraging reading the support and success stories here.

mrkgoo

My wife and I just had our first this past Monday. Little Owen was one week early and came out 6 lbs 13.5 oz. Fortunately the labor and delivery process was not too bad for mom or baby. Nearly 72 hours later we're home and slowly finding our rhythm. What an amazing feeling it is though. I can't even describe the joy I feel looking at him and holding him, even now when I've been up comforting him in the middle of the night.

I'm sure I'll pop in occasionally as he starts getting more complex. It's encouraging reading the support and success stories here.

Congrats!

Congrats! I can't wait to experience the same thing in October.

Silraru

Congrats!

Quonny

Anyone here adopt?

My wife and I are settling and starting to look into adoption. My family has issues with our physical health and my wife's family has a lot of mental health issues, and my mother was adopted, so we're looking into adoption. I know it's a massive, broad topic, but there are so many places for info out there and we have absolutely no idea where to start. Anyone have a good website? A Google search popped up like 400 different sites, and just was curious if anyone had any good, current resources. Thanks!

DBT85

I guess you people are also now my people!

Yesterday my wife and I got the result back from our NIPT. Come august 19th ish (a day before our 1st wedding anniversary) we'll be having a little baby girl :) Our first child.

So glad we moved out of London to the countryside last year.

uc

mrkgoo

Anyone here adopt?

My wife and I are settling and starting to look into adoption. My family has issues with our physical health and my wife's family has a lot of mental health issues, and my mother was adopted, so we're looking into adoption. I know it's a massive, broad topic, but there are so many resources out there and we have absolutely no idea where to start. Anyone have a good website that has a lot of good resources? A Google search popped up like 400 different sites, and just was curious if anyone had any good, current resources. Thanks!

Sorry, I can't help you out any, but wanted to just say that's awesome and good on you!

Yesterday my wife and I got the result back from our NIPT. Come august 19th ish (a day before our 1st wedding anniversary) we'll be having a little baby girl :) Our first child.

uc

Congrats! Prepare for a wild ride!

Silraru

Anyone here adopt?

My wife and I are settling and starting to look into adoption. My family has issues with our physical health and my wife's family has a lot of mental health issues, and my mother was adopted, so we're looking into adoption. I know it's a massive, broad topic, but there are so many places for info out there and we have absolutely no idea where to start. Anyone have a good website? A Google search popped up like 400 different sites, and just was curious if anyone had any good, current resources. Thanks!

No experience in adoption but are there local adoption agencies near you? Might be better to start there if so? Just tossing out ideas.

uc

Congrats.

uc

Congrats! August will be here before you know it. :p

DBT85

Congrats! Prepare for a wild ride!

Congrats.

Congrats! August will be here before you know it. :p

Thanks!

My SIL only had a boy in January so its going to cool having both so close together in age, if separated by 120 miles.

Both looking forward to it with mild trepidation. I'm fortunate at least that I am planning to be off work from 2 weeks before the due date till about 4 weeks after so get to spend some time that most dads don't, and even after I go back It'll hopefully be 10 or less days a month away from home.

Baby already has a Doctor Who and 2 England Rugby onesies lol.

Media

My daughter is having her tonsils removed in the morning. I'm nervous as fuck. She's only 9, and it's the first surgery any of my kids have had. Wish me luck Parent gaf

Some good news at last. A while ago my daughter had a ping pong ball sized tumor removed from her chest. We thought we could feel a lump growing in the same place again so we went back to the hospital. 3 days and many scans later they confirmed it was scar tissue from the original biopsy that we could feel because she's lost weight.

She still has to have another scan next month to see if her duplux kidney has resolved itself. If it has she can come off her antibiotics at last. My other daughters lung still hasn't reinflated though. Doesn't look like it will at all now.

Bloody kids, I knew we should have sprung for the extended warranty. We could have exchanged them for newer models.

Also, does anyone know what happened to Fiction? She used to post here quite regularly and I've not seen her for a while. Her posts have been deleted from this thread too. Weird.

Man potty training is exhausting. My 2.5 year old is running around commando in my house, rugs all rolled up. We put him on the toilet seat every 20 minutes. Give him lots of liquids. No luck for the past 2 days. I'm soo exhausted.

zbarron

Man potty training is exhausting. My 2.5 year old is running around commando in my house, rugs all rolled up. We put him on the toilet seat every 20 minutes. Give him lots of liquids. No luck for the past 2 days. I'm soo exhausted.

That was basically the method that worked for us. We kept him pantlesless all day. Before that he'd sit on the potty and do nothing and when we put the diaper back on he'd immediately wet it. He just associated diaper with where to pee. When he went on the potty we'd give him a sticker, dance, clap and say Yay! We learned he liked the yays and dancing more than the stickers so eventually dropped the stickers.

Good luck. Stay Strong.

Top Bottom